sum column based on single cell match?

This seems so simple and yet the solution eludes me...

In row 2 I want Excel to match a cell's contents (ex:  find 3200).  Once
finding the column that matches, I want it to sum rows 3:94.

Something like this:

=SUM(INDEX(A3:G94,,MATCH(3200,A2:G2,0))

In this example, you have columns A-G for your data.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"adodson" <adodson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This seems so simple and yet the solution eludes me...
>
> In row 2 I want Excel to match a cell's contents (ex:  find 3200).  Once
> finding the column that matches, I want it to sum rows 3:94.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.

0
Luke

In excel change color of a range of cells based on a cell value
Based on a cell value from a drop down box, how can you make a range of cells to change background color? Use the cell the box is linked to in your conditional formatting formula. If your box is tied to, say, A1, make sure the conditional formula is like: =$A$1="value" value is whatever will be selected in the box. Then set the background color. Squeaky "kwitt" wrote: > Based on a cell value from a drop down box, how can you make a range of cells > to change background color? ...

How to perform sum sum sum...

Summing up user defined results

Referencing a sheet by taking its name from a cell
I'm not even sure the title of this post is correct but it's as clear as I could make it! I'm creating a summary sheet of data from many other worksheets. The worksheet names are mmm-yy (e.g. Nov-07). The top row of the summary sheet will contain those same names, with the summary data in the column below. I'm trying to find a way to reference the correct sheet by utilising the name in the top row. Something like ='A2'!C7 , I suppose, but this particular attempt didn't work. Can someone help? Thanks! Paul Assuming that you have "Nov-07"(sheet name) in...

sum subform to form

How to Combine Data from Several Columns?
Hi Everyone I have attached a file which contains what I need to resolve Basically, I need to combine the data in several columns together int one column. Is there a way I can do it with formulas or vb code? would really appreciate if any experts out there can help me. Thanks and Regards Kelvi Attachment filename: book1.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=46105 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Kelvin! Probably the answer will be something like: =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1 ...

Automatic filling of cells within a certain date range
Can someone please help, I have been stuck on this for the past two days... Column 'AB' has 'Start Date' and column 'AD' has 'Finish date' Row 19, cells 'AI' to 'DW' have the months written as 'J' 'F' 'M' 'A' etc.....from 2008 to 2015. I want to be able to enter a 'start date' in column 'AB' i.e. 1 January 2008 and a 'Finish date' in column 'AD' i.e. 1 April 2015. Then i would like the cells 'J - A' on row 19 to be filled with '1' in each month.... I...

Special format for feet
Many html tables list height as x-yy where x is feet and yy is inches. Excel imports this as a date. In looking at cell number formats there is no option to display either a feet-inches 'number' or an inches number as x-yy. (I will write up a separate item about Excel importing the feet and inches as dates.) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggesti...

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

Cells stay highlighted, cannot use mouse
When I click on a cell in excel, that cell shows as clicked on, but when I move the mouse all surrounding cells become highlighted as well. So I cannot input anything anywhere, as moving the mouse around just keeps highlighting cells. And I cannot shut excel down as trying to move the mouse to a menu bar keeps highlighting cells in the worksheet. The only way to get out of excel is to End Task. I have come across this problem before, but I don't know how I inadvertently activate it, and to stop it was some combined of Ctrl-Enter but I can't remember what. Hopefully someone will un...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Hyperlink to first blank cell in column?
(XL2007) Thanks to help from MVP Biff, I can return the row number of the first blank cell in a single-column named range using an array formula (http://tinyurl.com/qb689k). This is a dynamic range that will adjust as new items are added. I'm setting up a workbook in which I have a "Blank Master" sheet and a "Jobs List" sheet. The "Master" sheet will be copied and renamed for each month. I'd like to have a hyperlink on the "Master" sheet that will carry over to each new copied sheet that would take the user to the first blank cell in the JOB...

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

stop all the columns coming up the same length in a chart
when i try to make a chart in excel all the columns come up the same length and it won't display the years either Hi, Your post is a bit lite on detail so I have more questions than answers. Is it possible you have selected the 100% stacked column chart? What data do you have and how is it laid out? Where should it be displaying the years, axis or as data labels? Cheers Andy prinshin wrote: > when i try to make a chart in excel all the columns come up the same length > and it won't display the years either -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Formatting cells #12
Something has happened with my cells that has whacked the formatting. I have entered =(sum(E5:W5)/5280)&" ft." It gives me the correct answer but I have 10 too many zeroes after my decimal place. How do I format the cell so that I only have three decimal places??? CHRIS =TEXT(SUM(E5:W5)/5280,"0.000")& ft." On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:03:02 -0700, "Christopher Anderson" <ChristopherAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Something has happened with my cells that has whacked the formatting. > >I have entered =(sum(E5:W5)/5280)...

Simple 3D Column
I am currently getting my blood tested every two weeks and have made a simple 3d column chart with the data. This shows the results well. However i would like a red line showing the maximum and minimum levels that would show the "Normal" parameters of the blood. For instance the column for this week rises to 11.5 and the top and bottom (Normal) parameters are 13.5 to 18 so I would like a line at 13.5 and one at 18 with my column of 11.5 over the lines. Hope this is clear as this is one of my first attempts at charting. -- thepict@albaweb --------------------------------------...

Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data?
Hi all, Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell 2003? Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it into a row form... Thanks a lot! You'll need to explain the rules a little better.... You want to convert 992 vertical cells into one row .....but Excel 2003 only has 256 columns. *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "cfman" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell > 2003? > > Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I...

Default column layout in Smartlist Builder
When generating new Smart list using the Smartlist Builder tool it would be great to allow for a means of identifying what the default column layout to be rather that having to create a favorite to do that. For Example. If SLB wanted to place columns 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as such you could tell it to make it 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 instead in the root folder of the new SL created ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see th...

Added data in columns
I am new to Excel. I have a project I am working on in which I have a column with a value from 1 to 5. Each number (and in some columns letters) represents a different answer. Is there a way to add the total number of each value? For instance I have over 2000 rows with data. In column "N", an answer can be either 1,2,3,4 or 5. How would I figure out how many answers are "1", how many are "2" an so on. Likewise there is a column with a yes/no answer. How can I see the total number of Yes's and how many No's there are? I appreciate any help. Hi ...

character size in pivot table cell
present no of char in pivot table cell is <=255. How to increase to an assigned no > 255? AFAIK, there's no way to adjust this limit. wozart wrote: > present no of char in pivot table cell is <=255. > How to increase to an assigned no > 255? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...