Splitting text divided by carriage returns

I have a report in which multiple responses are provided in a single cell.
The responses appear on different lines as if these had been added with a
carriage return (i.e. as entered using ALT and RETURN).

I know that you can normally split cell contents into columns using the
Convert Text to Columns Wizard under DATA / TEXT TO COLUMNS and then
Delimited, however I don't know what the character or feature would be for
soft carriage returns.

Any ideas on this or an alternate methodology?

Use the sequence ALT + 010 in the other delimiter box. Use the Number pad to
enter the numbers

HTH
Peter

"Phil H" wrote:

> I have a report in which multiple responses are provided in a single cell.
> The responses appear on different lines as if these had been added with a
> carriage return (i.e. as entered using ALT and RETURN).
>
> I know that you can normally split cell contents into columns using the
> Convert Text to Columns Wizard under DATA / TEXT TO COLUMNS and then
> Delimited, however I don't know what the character or feature would be for
> soft carriage returns.
>
> Any ideas on this or an alternate methodology?
You can also key in Ctrl+J and it will work also... nothing will show in the
"Other" field, but if you look at the table at the bottom of the dialog box,
you will see the text has been split into columns.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Billy Liddel" <BillyLiddel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use the sequence ALT + 010 in the other delimiter box. Use the Number pad
> enter the numbers
>
> HTH
> Peter
>
> "Phil H" wrote:
>
>> I have a report in which multiple responses are provided in a single
>> cell.
>> The responses appear on different lines as if these had been added with a
>> carriage return (i.e. as entered using ALT and RETURN).
>>
>> I know that you can normally split cell contents into columns using the
>> Convert Text to Columns Wizard under DATA / TEXT TO COLUMNS and then
>> Delimited, however I don't know what the character or feature would be
>> for
>> soft carriage returns.
>>
>> Any ideas on this or an alternate methodology?

0
Rick

Cannot draw the relationship after splitting the database
I have used the relationship ribbon many times and it work just fine. Recently I added another table to my database, establish the relationship with two other tables and everything looks good. The odd part is after I split the database, either I open the back end or the front end Access always giving me error so I cannot see the pictorial relationship. The "Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger" window pop-up with a message "An unhandled Win32 exception occured in MSACCESS.EXE [6072]" Is there a bug in Access that I don't know about, is there a fix to ...

PPT to PDF
Hi, I am using PowerPoint 2003, Excel 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 9.2. I have copied Excel data (Arial 8) and special pasted it into a PowerPoint presentation (using "Device Independent Bitmap"). The presentation looks fine when viewed in PowerPoint. However, when the presentation is converted to PDF the pasted fonts become blurred and slightly indistinct. How do I overcome this so as to be able to submit a PDF presentation? Thanks - Ant In article <0579FAA6-DF12-49DC-991C-F3C890077D5B@microsoft.com>, Ant wrote: > Hi, > > I am using PowerPoint ...

Wrap/Picture/Copy Text/Background
Hello I have a few questions: 1. Is there a version of Publisher that had NO Text Wrap in the Picture Toolbar? 2. Is it possible to send a picture back or forward in Publisher as there is in Words Drawing Toolbar? Did any version of Publisher have a Drawing Toolbar like Word? 3. When copying text from the internet, sometimes the text can be inserted in an existing empty Text Box (like in a brochure template) and other times it creates it's own Text Box outside in the Work Area. Why? 4. When inserting ClipArt, is there any way to change the background of the ClipArt's box to...

Selecting Text Label breaks the Transparent property
Hi One of my problems is the following. I am using a text label and an image background. When I desable design mode and use the application, clicking on the text label brings the white background (as if I selected the label) and makes it very ugly. thanks Pat Lock the text box and the image. Then lock the worksheet. This will mean that the text box and the image cannot be selected, avoiding the problem you encountered. Hope this helps.. "Pat" wrote: > Hi > One of my problems is the following. > I am using a text label and an image background. > When I desable des...

Query involving Strings : How To Return Matching Data From Both Ta
Good afternoon, I have tried my best on this but am unable to figure it out. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Scenario: Table A contains only one column titled [District]. Let's assume that there are three rows here: 1) Bay Area Rapid Transit 2) San Diego Zoo 3) San Mateo Table B contains other data with these fields: [GeoCode] , [CountOfHourlyEmployees], [CountOfSalaryEmployees]. Let's assume that there are three rows here: 1) West Coast | CA | Bay Area Rapid Transit , 154, 205 2) CA | Southern | Bay Area Rapid Transit , 105, 206 3) Southw...

Extracting text from right to left using MID and FIND
First of all I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this post and providing any help possible. I am a novice trying to learn Excel and find it to be "fun". I am trying to extract text from a string for which the character length is never the same. I have found a tutorial on how one may extract a middle name but that has confused me in since it is set up to read from left to right. What I need to do is find a lower case "h" and take all of the text to the left of the "h" up to but not including the first space encouont...

cannot view all of text in large cell, even though I have it to w.
I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. Hi +the limit is 1024 characters. You can extend this with manually inserting linebrekas using aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sydme wrote: > I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no > more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but > still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. ...

Format text box
In my publisher program I cannot locate the dialog box to allow me to use the Continued on/from notice. I have tried Format but a Text box note is not in the list, What am I doing wrong? Your text boxes need to be linked. Do that first. Then, right click while in the text block. Click Format Text Box. Click the Text Box tab. Your continue options are near the bottom. "Jim J OR" <Jim J OR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCD7C6E9-1AF7-4AF1-BC49-06F46B67962B@microsoft.com... > In my publisher program I cannot locate the dialog box to allow me to use ...

Counting Text Values ?
How do I use worksheet functions to count the number of fields in a database that contain a specific text string, or include specific characters within a text string ? For example : Car Price Landcruiser 40 Landrover 30 Lada 10 Rolls 90 Lada 10 Landrover 30 I would like a cell to count the number of occurrences of 'Lada' in this table, and the answer should be 2. I tried using DCOUNT but it only works on numbers. I would also (ideally) like to be able to count all the cars that start with 'La', so the answer should be 5. Is thi...

How do I copy and paste into an existing text box
When I copy text off of a web site and then try to paste into a text box that I am using in Publisher 2003, the copied text appears in a new text box, instead of inserting where I am typing. This new text box is also about 1/2" wid and 12" long or longer. I have to manipulate it to a normal shape before I can even begin to read what I've copied. I then have to do the copy and paste procedure all over again to get it into the text box I wanted to paste it in to begin with. I didn't have this problem with Publisher2000 and I can't figure out why Pub 2003 is doing...

Expandable Text Boxes
I would like to add a text box that expands if the user types more information into the box than the text area originally permitted. Making all the text viewable without scrolling. I need spell check to work on this box also. Can anyone help me with this? ...

separating text and numbers contained in one cell
We received a spreadsheet from a customer, containing data which w would like to improt in to a database. The problem is the numerica values and text descriptive fields are contained in one cell. Is ther a way to grab all text in a spreadsheet and move it over one colum leaving it in the same row? What I would like is for the numbers t stay in column one and the descriptive text to be cut/moved in to th adjacent cell in column two. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, DW -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming the numbers and text are consistant, like addresses (1234 Alame...

Returned data from WebService
I apoligize if this is the wrong forum. We have an InfoPath form that we submit the data to a database as an XML string. We have the need to read this string back to the orginal form. I can get the XML back with no problem using the WebServiceConnection object within InfoPath. This object returns a XPathNavigator object, and I can view the data using the OuterXML property. When I try to use the SelectSingleNode from the XPathNavigaotr object I get a NullRefernceException. The outerXML is disaplayed below: <GetFormDataResponse xmlns="http://brickmua.com/"> <GetFormDat...

After Splitting Database, them what?
I have split my database and saved the tables to the server. I can access them from my computer (Computer A) but can not from other computers (B, C, etc.). How do I get the forms to those computers and to link to the tables? I am using version 2007 and it is loaded on all systems. I am new at this so simple step by step instructions please. Thanks I have a rather long and easy to read article that explains this whole process: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/split/index.htm -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com ...

return all records, regardless of fields matching
Ok, apparently I have lost a good chunk of my brain in the last 6 months. I am trying to merge 4 tables together that have at least one field that should match (tables 1 & 2 join, 2 &3 join, 3 & 4 join). I want to mash these four tables together based on those joins, but I want ALL the records, regardless if there is a matched value. I can do this in Access 2003 or 2007. Sounds like you need a union query. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "David Pelizzari" wrote: > Ok, apparently I have lost a good chunk of my brain in the last 6 months. I >...

How do I reformat text that contains a leading hash mark?
I have an Excel document containing thousands of names that represent the concatenation of a first and last name together. Everyone of them appears with a leading hash mark... example: 'JoeSmith - This causes other operations that rely on this data to not work properly. I want to get rid of this leading hash mark resulting in just - JoeSmith Select your range and do Edit > Replace. In "Find What" insert the hash mark, and leave "Replace With" empty. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have an Excel document containing thousands of name...

saving default value for a text box
I'm using a text box for notes (it's not associated with any tables). When user entered some text there I'd like that this text would appear on the next time when user would open this form. I'm trying to use the following: Private Sub PrintHeaderText_AfterUpdate() Dim new_text As String new_text = Me.PrintHeaderText Me.PrintHeaderText.DefaultValue = "'" & new_text & "'" End Sub .... and the following code: Private Sub CloseButton_Click() DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Form.Name, acSaveYes End Sub But when I open the form again ...

"reply to" mail often returned?
When I use "Reply to" for mail rather than make a new messsage I often get a system admistrator response to indicate failure. Why might that be? If I make a new message and cut and past the old one in that seems ok. Martin --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 07/06/2004 Can't say with so little info. Is the sender using a different reply-to address in his/her mail client? When you hit reply, does the to: address look correct/identical to the one you want...

Alignment for text vs numbers
If I put a literal text string ("This is a literal text string") in a cell that is too wide for that cell, the text will spill over into adjacent cells, if they are empty. However, if I put a number in that cell and then apply a custom format, like ("Results for "mm/dd/yy), it fills the cell with #'s if it's too wide. Is there a way to get the formatted number to behave like text? (Without merging cells.) If you select the cell and any empties to the right and format Center Across Selection. The full text will be displayed. Sadly, it will appear centered, but ...

percentage splits #2
Quicken allows user to enter a % split based on $100 and save it as a 'template' of sorts. When user uses the 'template' whatever amount entered to be paid or deposited is automatically figured out by the program based on the % splits. Question: Can Money do this useful trick? TIA -- janrif Ridgefield CT USA I stand to be corrected, but I'm reasonably certain the answer is no. "janrif" <janrif@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7E58B58-0DC8-4C24-BACC-4A3BB079FB63@microsoft.com... > Quicken allows user to enter a % split based o...

Problem: Email Body becomes attachment in Text-only email client
We recently noticed CRM emails read via our University's web-based, text-only email client have the message body show up as an "unknown" attachment. This requires the student to open this attachment to read the email. It didn't always work this way, so I am trying to figure out if this is related to the upgrade from version 3 to 4 of CRM, a later rollup, or an "upgrade" to the University's text-only web-based email client? The email is viewable just fine is email client's that support html rendering. Anyone else seen this before? Any ideas on how ...

SHGetFolderPath() returns wrong folder path?
Hi all, I'd like to get the local app-data directory on my Windows XP (Brazilian Portuguese version). I tried the following code: ::SHGetFolderPath(NULL, CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA, NULL, 0, pszPath)); But this function returns the following (incorrect) path: C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Configura=C3=A7=C3=B5es locais\Dados de aplicativos which should have been: C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Configura=E7=F5es locais\Dados de aplicativos Any idea what the problem is? Thanks. diandaolly wrote: > Hi all, > > I'd like to get the local app-data directory on my Windows X...

moving text when overlapping images
Is there anything I can do in order to get my text in my text box from moving when I overlap another text box or a graphic? I have my text centered in the box and I would like to add a graphic overlapping the corner and when I place it to overlap my text moves over. I have played with the "order" settings but nothing seems to help. Does anybody have a trick to function? I am using publisher 2003 Thanks Suzanne sbrimley <sbrimley@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is there anything I can do in order to get my text in my text box > from...

MONEY 2005 problems. How to return for refund?
Transitioned from MONEY 2003 to MONEY 2005. 1st issue... even when selecting the option to "Work Offline" MONEY 2005 continues to "call home" to Microsoft if your computer is connected to the internet. You can verify this "feature" if you have a personal firewall installed. 2nd issue... with the option selected to display internet information using my default browser, MONEY 2005 continues to display the information within MONEY 2005. Does anyone no how to return MONEY 2005 to Microsoft for a refund? Personally I'm tired of purchasing thei...

Create a text box that looks up a value in a table
I've been trying to get dlookup to work without success. I'm trying to get a title of a class to be inserted depending on the number of the class. I tried =DLookup("[Title]","[ Course Listing]",”[Course #]) and I get "invalid syntax" message. Can anyone help? Thanks. Assuming the text box is named EnterCourseNum and the field in the table is named CourseNum, you need: =DLookup("[Title]","[ Course Listing]","[CourseNum] = " & Me!EnterCourseNum) Steve santus@penn.com "vanmen" <vanme...