Select 'Sort By' column by simply typing heading letter

Hello,

In the next version of MS Excel, please restore the ability to define Sort
By columns by simply typing the Column heading letter as was the case in Word
2003.  When Excel 2007 came out, I was astonished to discover that capability
was no longer available.

For example, suppose I want to sort a large spreadsheet by Column CDX.  In
both Excel 2003 and 2007, if I open the Sort box and click Sort By, the drop
down menu, by default, lists Column A as the first option.  In Excel 2003, I
could simply click twice to insert the cursor, type backspace (to remove the
A), then type cdx and click OK.

However, Excel 2007 does not allow me to change the Sort By column in this
way.  Instead, I am required to scroll down through the extent of the
options, click 'More Columns...' then use the Column Picker, etc.

It would sure be nice, while implementing new versions, to retain previous
time-saving functionality.  In this case, it would be very helpful to restore
that functionality.

Thank you

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=ad80d49d-6c82-4d42-b5c0-80db1adf7e7a&dg=microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

F5>CDX1>OK>Right click on CdX1>Sort>Smallest to largest ( or your choice)>OK

--
Regards
Roger Govier

dsavant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the next version of MS Excel, please restore the ability to define Sort
> By columns by simply typing the Column heading letter as was the case in Word
> 2003.  When Excel 2007 came out, I was astonished to discover that capability
> was no longer available.
>
> For example, suppose I want to sort a large spreadsheet by Column CDX.  In
> both Excel 2003 and 2007, if I open the Sort box and click Sort By, the drop
> down menu, by default, lists Column A as the first option.  In Excel 2003, I
> could simply click twice to insert the cursor, type backspace (to remove the
> A), then type cdx and click OK.
>
> However, Excel 2007 does not allow me to change the Sort By column in this
> way.  Instead, I am required to scroll down through the extent of the
> options, click 'More Columns...' then use the Column Picker, etc.
>
> It would sure be nice, while implementing new versions, to retain previous
> time-saving functionality.  In this case, it would be very helpful to restore
> that functionality.
>
> Thank you
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=ad80d49d-6c82-4d42-b5c0-80db1adf7e7a&dg=microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
0
Roger

sort alphanumeric data
I have data with mix number of digits and I like to sort them. Somehow, the normal sorting process give me a not so desired result. Can anyone help? A10 B100 A2 AA1 AD200 A1 The result I am looking for is: A1 A2 A10 B2 B100 AD200 I think your example wasn't exactly right' look at the B2 and AA1 entries. But I assume you want to sort like the Excel row and column identifiers; I also assume there will be two alpha characters at most Go to the VB Editor (ALT+F11) Insert>Module Paste these two functions in the code window: Function PartOne(a As String) As String Dim i As Long For ...

Run report on multi selected records.

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

How do I have stacked columns and a reg col. on same chart?
I have three variables - payroll expenses, vendor expenses, and management fees. I want payroll and vendor to be on top of eachother, and management to be next to them. Can anyone help? Please? "Kat" wrote: > I have three variables - payroll expenses, vendor expenses, and management > fees. I want payroll and vendor to be on top of eachother, and management to > be next to them. Can anyone help? Hi, Have a look at Jon's page which has a collection of links to examples of how to produce clustered stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Clus...

Select contact then hangs

CListCtrl: Changing the Column Header Layout
Hi all, I'm using a CListCtrl and I need another layout of the column header, especially - 2 lines of header text - changed background and forground colours - changeable y-Size I that possible? I cannot find any information about. Thanks in advance Richard You should be able to get the header control and do anything with it you want. Go to the MSDN, look under the topic "ClistCtrl class", and about 17 subitems into it there is a topic called "header controls" which explains all this. GetHeaderCtrl is what you are looking for. joe On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:58...

Selecting rows from various sheets

select text in Calendar

Can I add Java Data types in Microsoft Visio?
I want to design a UML diagram of a java application. Can i add Java data types in Microsoft Visio 2003? ...

Multiple excel sheets with same headings
I have 14 sheets with me for 14 different users. Now I want the data to come out of it for each person. The sheets are titled by the names of the individuals. Can MS Query be used for this? If yes, how? If not, then what shall I do? -- mohitmahajan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mohitmahajan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8130 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470132 ...

How do I add different ranges in a column together?
I have a large column of numbers and need to select random numbers that I need to total. Rather than adidng one cell at a time. How do I add multiple ranges within the column together? Thank you If they're ranges (as in groups of consecutive cells) you can use SUM, as in =sum(a1:a5,a20:a43, ... ). If they're cells that are selected based on the value of some other cell in the same row, you can use sumif: =sumif(b:b,"Selection",a:a) would add the values in column A of the rows where column B is equal to "Selection". If it's really pretty random, I'...

Link select with a blast

How do I convert a column from USD to GBP
I am trying to convert a column of USD figures in excel into GBP then I want to add 92% - is there a formula I can use? with your value in A1, in B1 enter: =A1+(A1*.92) format as Currency and select the GBP currency Symbol HTH Bruce -- swatsp0p ------------------------------------------------------------------------ swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=383116 Hi Lisa, Image you have the exchange rage (i.e. the number of dollars in a pound) in cell B2 and ...

Select Case in a Change Event

Two-Column problem
Using Arrange, Layout Guides, I set up Publisher 2002 with two columns per page and with two master pages with mirrored guides. For the first 11 pages, text flowed as expected. That is, each new pair of pages had two textboxes per page. But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, not two. How do I force Publisher to give me two textboxes per page, as it did for the first 11 pages? (I might be missing something obvious. I haven't used Publisher in several years.) Thanks. Charley After mana...

Select Records based another table...

Multi-Select List Box Does Not Retain Selected Items
I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select items in the list box they do not remain select when I select another control on the form. Any suggestions? Did you bind the list box to a keywords field? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "kaykay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:276dd01c4638d$bd5af590$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select > items i...

VBA
I am very new to VBA and access and have a question regarding a SELECT statement. I am going to run a select (recordset - so I can loop through and process each record) but on my SELECT I want to make sure I return at least 20 rows, otherwise I am going to change my WHERE clause to include more rows. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to just do an inital SELECT COUNT(*) and then decide which WHERE clause to use?? Do you have an example I can look at? Thank you in advance! AJ On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:14:00 -0800, AJ <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I would not first ...

reference format and column name
I have 2 problems, likely, related to some reference format in Excel 2003: 1) Column names are displayed in numbers, like rows; 2) When I type a reference to a cell, the formula contains letters R and C and number of cells, the referred cell is away from the cell with the formula (instead of a regular number of column and row). I don't know how I got to this format. Please get me back to columns named in letters, and regular type of displaying references. Many thanks. hi on the menu bar>tools>options>general tab uncheck R1C1 reference (upper left) Regards FSt1 ...

column query
Greetings I am trying to return a value in a column of a table based on a value in a cell in the same row but different column. For example, column A is a list of names, column B is a list of scores. In a separate area i want to display the highest score with the name of the person that achieved it. I've tried using MAX to display the highest score but cannot think of a way to show who this value relates to in column A. Does this make sense? Many thanks for any help Assuming: col A = Names, col B = scores data from row2 down and there's *no ties* for the maximum score If you h...

Changing Sort Order On Report Programatically
I have coded the following inside the report open event: ........ OrderByOn = True If Not LTrim(RTrim(strSort)) = "" Then Select Case strSortOrder Case "D" Me.OrderBy = strSort & " " & "DESC" Case Else Me.OrderBy = strSort End Select End If It changes the sort order dynamically on some reports but not others. On the reports that it does not work on, they have their own groups set up under View/Sorting And Grouping. Once the sort order is set up on the report itself under View/Sorting And Grouping...

Splitting an excel file into two columns
I was able to import my text files into a spreadsheet, but here is what I need to do next and I hope there is an easier way to do this through the program. Her is what I have, I have a product spreadsheet that includes item number followed by the description. the item number is always first and needs to be broken out into its own column with the description in the next. What I am wanting to know, how do I have excel grab the first part of the column up until after the first space and leave that in one column and put the rest of the information in a new column. That would allow me to import...