Pasting formulas advances cell reference

Hi

When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell
reference and i just want an exact match i.e.

A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes
it as
='Feb 2010'!D18

The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening?

Thanks for any help in advance

Derek

Use absolute referencing. Below are the different reference styles.

A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
the formula.
$A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
$A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Derek M" wrote:

> Hi
>
> When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell
> reference and i just want an exact match i.e.
>
> A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes
> it as
> ='Feb 2010'!D18
>
> The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance
>
> Derek
Put a $ before and after the C to lock it

"Derek M" wrote:

> Hi
>
> When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell
> reference and i just want an exact match i.e.
>
> A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes
> it as
> ='Feb 2010'!D18
>
> The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance
>
> Derek

Paste special treats cells as a picture
I just got a new computer, and a newer version of excel, which is great, but whenever I try to copy from one file to another, my paste special function treats the copied cells as a picture. Instead of the normal paste special popup, where it asks me how I want the data to come out, I get a different popup that shows the source as a "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object." It asks me what format I want the picture to come out as, and gives me a list of different file formats. If I try to just paste a link, it puts a picture of the other file on the new one. I talked to so...

Formula: What am I Doing Wrong
4 A 3 A 2 B 1 A 4 $6.00 3 $6.00 2 $2.00 1 $6.00 In the first example I want to know how many instances of A there are in column B multiplied by the number in Column A. Answer would be 8. Formula: sumproduct((a1:a4)*(b1:b4="A")) But if I want to find out how many instances of $6.00 there are instead of A, I'm stumped. I get either 0, or 48. Must be something simple. It is better to use =SUMIF(B:B,"A",A:A) than sumproduct((a1:a4)*(b1:b4="A")) I assume you mean =COUTIF(A:A,6) -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snai...

coping formula
I am trying to copy a formula down a column. When I copy the formula down I want the cell to be blank until i fill out the cells to give me my balance. My three columns are Debit / credit / balance. My formual reads : f7(balance column)+e8(credit column)-d8 (debit column) when i copy the formula down form my balance column it gives me the balance in every cell. I would like for it to be blank until i fill in my debits and credits. I hope you understand the way i wrote this thanks much -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200803/1 You ...

locking formulas
Is there a way I can lock my formulas so no one can change them when i send my spreadsheet out? I have about 50 cells with formulas in them in 4 or 5 columns and I need them all locked. Thank you for any suggestions. -- speary ------------------------------------------------------------------------ speary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24959 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389055 Select all cells that DO NOT require to be locked, go to Format>Cells>Protection and remove the check mark beside "L...

Will excel 2003 format a cell to the year?
It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year. Is there some way? I typed a date in A1 (09/28/2006) and used format|Cells|number tab|custom category|yyyy with my USA settings. kateofmd@msn.com wrote: > > It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to > get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year. Is there some > way? -- Dave Peterson ...

Copy and paste formula; Value pastes instead
Excel 2002 I've tried starting several worksheets, checking formats, pasting special (formula only). For some reason the formula actually copies OK by looking at the formula bar, but the value in the cell is identical to the value of the copied cell.Incorrect. Tried even the simplest formulas with no joy. BK ...

Is there an Excel formula to round a date to the end of the month
User enters a specific date, I'd like to round that entry to the end of the month With a date in A1: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,0) step into the next month and then back one day. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Siralec" wrote: > User enters a specific date, I'd like to round that entry to the end of the > month Another way... This requires the Analysis ToolPak add-in be installed for Excel versions prior to Excel 2007. A1 = some date =EOMONTH(A1,0) Format as Date -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Siralec" &...

Conditional format
Hi Conditional format Is there a way to get a cell's format determined by the format of a different cell?! e.g. Could one get an entire row market up in say bold red if one cell in that row was say less than 100 With thanks Ship Shiperton Henethe Hi Shiperton yep ) select the rows that you want to apply the conditional formatting to, ensuring that the first row of this group is the first row at the top of the screen (it gets confused sometimes if it isn't) the following example assums you've selected from row 2 onwards and you want the row to turn red if ...

Clipboard pasting
I copy something to the clipboard using Publisher 2007 and the computer tells me it is in the clipboard; however, when I go to paste that information into another document, Publisher acts like it is not there. I then need to close the document I wish to paste it into, reopen it, and then, like magic, there is the information in the clipboard and I am able to paste it. UGH!!!!!! -- Ginger Christenson Open the Office Clipboard in Publisher. Edit, Office Clipboard. What program are you pasting to? If it is an Office program, open the Office Clipboard in that program too. -- Mary Sauer ...

formula to get sheet name
hi, can a formula retreive a worksheet name or does it need to be macro based? thanks, N.S. Hi Nigel, This formula that takes care of the possible situation whereby you have only one sheet in the workbook and its name is the same as the workbook's. Note: CELL("filename") will only work if the file has been saved at least once and if the file is opened in a different language system, the argument "filename" will need to be changed manually to the corresponding word (e.g. in Spanish "nombrearchivo"): =LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),SUBSTITUTE(MID(CE...

copy formula only
When I copy a formula down the column the value gets repeated all the way down too . How can I only paste the formula so as the cells stay blank until related cells are filled in to make the calculations. Thanks Steve if(relatedcell="","",relatedcellformula) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Steve Fletcher" <steve.fletcher1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:Oqetb.63$Mw1.40@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... > When I copy a formula down the column the value gets repeated all the way > down too . How can I only paste the formul...

Formula returned in vlookup function
I've used vlookup for a while now in the office 2003. Just converted to office 2007. Now when I do a vlookup I get the formula displayed in my current cell instead of a returned value. I can't figure our what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help? Thanks bmc You've probably got a tick in the wrong place: Try Office Button (top left hand corner) Excel Options (bottom line) Click on advanced Scroll down to Display options for this worksheet and untick 'Show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results Click OK Hope this helps "87vette" wrote...

Formulas for birth year and age in user defined fields
I'm using outlook 2002. I want to create 2 user-defined fields in my contacts, but am having trouble figuring out how to do it: 1. Year of birth field, based on the value entered in the birthday field - I created a new user defined field, with the Type set as Formula, and the formula set as: Year ([Birthday]). The year is displayed, but formatted as a number (1,957) rather than a year (1957). How can I get the number to be displayed without the comma? 2. Age, based on difference between birthday and present date - Is there a simple formula to accomplish this? I haven't been ab...

Text data
I am entering text data into a spreadsheet and I need to know how to calculate the number of times particular words/phrases appear in each column. I am very new to excel, so any help would be appreciated! =COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"word") replace A1:A1000 with your range and word with the word you want to count -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excelbeginner" <excelbeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE55CF40-F3B6-42F3-918F-D200690758F6@microsoft.com... >I am entering text data into a spreadsheet and I need to know how to > calculate the nu...

"Paste Special" with the right click mouse
I would like to have the option of "Paste Special" with the right click mouse in all microsoft office suite. Thanks, ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de847738-df56-4...

Searching against disabled users using Advanced Find
I am trying to search for leads using Advanced Find where owner=disabled user. We need to reassign all of the leads owned by a terminated user to a new user. When selecting owner as a search parameter, disabled users do not show in the lookup. This is also the case when trying to search against the created by and modified by fields. Is this simply a limitation of advanced find or is there a selection option i am missing? If so, any workarounds anyone can think of other than temporarily enabling the user? Thanks in advance. Hi Try using the FilteredViews to build a report to show the l...

Pasting formulas advances cell reference
Hi When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell reference and i just want an exact match i.e. A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes it as ='Feb 2010'!D18 The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening? Thanks for any help in advance Derek Use absolute referencing. Below are the different reference styles. A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag the formula. $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change A$1 The row reference is fixed and wil...

Formula Bar
Have cells custom formatted for seconds :ss but in the formala bar shows and invalid date and time, is there a way to make the formula bar show the correct value of the cell i.e. typed in cell - 55 for 55 seconds but the formula bar showing content as: 1900-02-24 12:00:00 AM for me to get it to display as :55 have to enter it as :55 but then can't use it for a calculation if format it as mm:ss enter 55 shows as 00:00 in the cell but in the formula bar shows content as: 1900-02-24 12:00:00 AM need cells to display a seconds :55 but will need to use the cells for oth...

Keep certain cells from moving
I'm sure this will be an easy one, but I can't seem to find the info i help. I'm using Excel 97 and have a simple sheet with a few columns o data. I've setup auto-filters for colums A-E. What I want to to is put some formulas in column F that don't ge blanked out when I use the filters (if they're on a line that doesn' meet the condition I've selected, they dissappear). I'd also like the to give me dynamic totals. For instance, I have dollar amounts attributed to certain people in on column and their names in another. If I use the filter to select o...

Copy/Paste loop
I have a form on one sheet in excel, on the next sheet i have mad different coloums with different headings. I want the data from th form to be copyed to each heading e.g. name in form is copyed to unde the coloum with title name. So each time a user fills in there details he/she clicks submit an there data is copyed to the next page, like a small database. Is there a macro that can do this as i keep getting different error each time. I want this to continue in a loop Please help!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This might get you started: Option Explicit Opti...

Can I create an Excel chart from non-contiguous data cells?
Using Excel Office 2003, I'm being asked to create charts from existing worksheets, often several within a workbook, using specific cells (total/average cells). The cells are not adjacent to one another, but they are identical from one worksheet to another. In my case, the cells are K15, K29, K42, W15, W29, and W42. I'd like a separate chart for each worksheet, and would like to have the chart automatically created once the data is in the worksheet. Is this possible? You can select discontiguous data by selecting one area, then holding CTRL while selecting additional areas....

Curly Brackets In Formulas
I'm trying to copy formulas from one spreadsheet to another similar to the one below, but the curly brackets disappear, rendering the formulas inoperable (in the original document, they compare values in one range of cells against another, count the cells that match as 1, and adds them up). Adding the curly brackets manually just converts the cells to text. How do I make these formulas work in the new document? I'm using Excel 2000. TIA. ~Charie G. {=SUM(COUNTIF(B5:F5,$B$2:$F$2))} Hi Charlie the {} indicate that the formula is an array formula which is entered in a cell using a c...

Cannot release cell
As soon as I open Excel and click into the first cell, the program will not release the cell. It will not even let me access the Menus above. Is this a software issue? I believe there is a quick keyboard sequence fix but I dont know what it is and can not find the information anywhere (including MS Excel TroubleShoot KnowledgeBase) Do you see EXT in the statusbar (bottom right corner)? If yes, hit the F8 key to toggle this off. Have you tried a different mouse or mouse driver? MEvans wrote: > > As soon as I open Excel and click into the first cell, the program will not > ...

When I copy a picture and paste it into Publisher it disappears
I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into Publisher and the picture disappears. What version of Publisher? What happens if you go to... Insert / Picture / From File? -- John Inzer "Cathy" <Cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF2CA50C-78D9-47DB-8799-E9C3C9171038@microsoft.com... >I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into >Publisher > and the picture disappears. I am using Office Profession Edition 2003. I tried another picture and so far it is still there. Thanks. "John Inzer"...

the remote will not advance slides
A new situation; out of the clear blue, the remote no longer advances slides. I am sure the remote works as it can shut off the computer and zoom, so it must be in my computer and likely something to do with how the slide show is set up, but I can't figure it out. Help?! Does the mouse still advance? -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Connie in MT" wrote: > A new situation; out of the clear blue, the remote no longer advances slides. > I ...