Number of hrs worked in a week, based on dates in a different column

Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try.  I'd like to enter a function
into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous
week appears each Sunday.  For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum
of C2:C6 (note this is a short week).  Cell D20 would display 22.5, the sum
of C7:C20.  On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other days
multiple tasks are performed.  The only cells in column D that should
display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display nothing.
Thanks very much for your help!!

Gregg.

          A                                    B
C                            D
1        DATE                             TASK
DAILY_HRS        WEEKLY_HRS
2        Thu, Mar-01-2009          Stuff I worked on           4
3        <blank>
4        Fri, Mar-02-2009           Stuff I worked on            5
5        Sat, Mar-03-2009          Stuff I worked on            2
6        Sun, Mar-04-2009         <blank>
7        Mon, Mar-05-2009        Stuff I worked on            4
8        <blank>                          Stuff I worked on            2
9        <blank>                          Stuff I worked on            1
10      Tue, Mar-06-2009          Stuff I worked on            2
11      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             3
12      Wed, Mar-07-2009        Stuff I worked on             2
13      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             1
14      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             0.5
15      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             2
16      Thu, Mar-08-2009         <blank>
17      Fri, Mar-09-2009          Stuff I worked on              3
18      <blank>                         Stuff I worked on              2
19      Sat, Mar-10-2009         <blank>
20      Sun, Mar-11-2009        <blank>

0
Gregg

=IF(WEEKDAY($A2)<>1,"",SUM($C$1:$C2)-SUM($D$1:$D1))

BTW 1st Mar is a Sun  according to my calendar.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Gregg" <gregg@cpmgt.ca> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm hoping someone will give this a try.  I'd like to enter a function
> into each cell in column D so that the total hours worked for the previous
> week appears each Sunday.  For instance, cell D6 would display 11, the sum
> of C2:C6 (note this is a short week).  Cell D20 would display 22.5, the
> sum of C7:C20.  On some days, no work at all is performed, but on other
> days multiple tasks are performed.  The only cells in column D that should
> display a value are the Sunday's... all other cells should display
> nothing. Thanks very much for your help!!
>
> Gregg.
>
>          A                                    B C
> 1        DATE                             TASK DAILY_HRS        WEEKLY_HRS
> 2        Thu, Mar-01-2009          Stuff I worked on           4
> 3        <blank>
> 4        Fri, Mar-02-2009           Stuff I worked on            5
> 5        Sat, Mar-03-2009          Stuff I worked on            2
> 6        Sun, Mar-04-2009         <blank>
> 7        Mon, Mar-05-2009        Stuff I worked on            4
> 8        <blank>                          Stuff I worked on            2
> 9        <blank>                          Stuff I worked on            1
> 10      Tue, Mar-06-2009          Stuff I worked on            2
> 11      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             3
> 12      Wed, Mar-07-2009        Stuff I worked on             2
> 13      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             1
> 14      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             0.5
> 15      <blank>                          Stuff I worked on             2
> 16      Thu, Mar-08-2009         <blank>
> 17      Fri, Mar-09-2009          Stuff I worked on              3
> 18      <blank>                         Stuff I worked on              2
> 19      Sat, Mar-10-2009         <blank>
> 20      Sun, Mar-11-2009        <blank>

0
Bob

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

Autoresize column for ClistCtrl
Hi, how could I have a Clistcontrol that always resizes its columns(>=1) exactly to fit its content. Recently I saw an article on codeproject for a C# ListView control where they use a trick. They send a [Control] + [+] key , it possible to do the same with MFC. If not how can I do the same ? I have seen that done. First see if SetColumnWidth with either LVSCW_AUTOSIZE or LVSCW_AUTOSIZE_USEHEADER will help you out. If not see this article. (It mainly about a bug in windows related to resizing a list control and it's header dynamically) http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Auto_S...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

IMF Global Accept list does not seem to be working???
There's an application on a web server that sends a few email to our front-end servers and i've put the ip address in the accept list under content filtering. The email are being sent to a listserv address and are being blocked by IMF. Why? I also get this msg when adding an address to the accept list: Connection, Recipient, and Sender Filtering must manually be enabled on specific SMTP Virtual server IP address assignments as they are nto enabled by default. For more information on how to enable any of the above filtering types, read their associated help. Not sure what that ...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

How can I get the trial balloon to work?
I've downloaded the Works program trial balloon over and over, but when I try to use the program it tells me to use a product key and the key I was given (every time) doesn't work. ...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...

even the codes in microsoft's help section don't work
i found this code by pressing screenupdating in the help section of vba. it doesn't work. it says i is undefined. so i write dim i as integer. then it says starttime is undefined. Dim elapsedTime(2) Application.screenupdating = True For i = 1 To 2 If i = 2 Then Application.screenupdating = False startTime = Time Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate For Each c In ActiveSheet.Columns If c.Column Mod 2 = 0 Then c.Hidden = True End If Next c stopTime = Time elapsedTime(i) = (stopTime - startTime) * 24 * 60 * 6...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

shape property based on other shape property
I am documenting the electrical circuits in 90 some labs. I am using Visio 2007. I have created circuit shapes with the Property Types: Circuit ID and Phase. The Circuit Phase can be a number between 1 and 42. The Phase corresponds with that specific number and will be A, B, or C. I want to know how to make the Phase Property be based on the Circuit ID property. Also, there is another type of circuit, where the circuit ID lists two Circuit IDs. Same numbering as before, so an example might look like "2,4". In this case, I would need the Phase Property to be A,B. I fi...

Rounding numbers to the nearest thousand
Simple question (i hope) Is there a simple way i can round numbers to the nearest thousand by using the format cells command. For example i would like to display 1,234.56 as 12 I don't want to be diving by 1000 and rounding to zero decimal places because i still want the whole number displayed in the formula bar when selecting it. i use excel 2003 thanx Mark Format the number as #,##0,;-#,##0, or similar. Not the comma at the end - this tells Excel to display as thousands (two commas here will display as millions). Note that 1,234.56 will display as 1 (thousand) not 12. "...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

Front-End OWA Server not Working
Current Setup: Exchange2003 SP2 server with 3 mailbox Stores 800+ mailboxes. Currently alos an OWA server running SSL, forms based Authentication turned on. Installed new Exchange 2003 SP2 server to be Front-end only server (Forms Based Authentication ON). Receive a 403-Forbidden error after logging into server at OWA home page. Tried changing communication to Basic via Microsoft Article 899384. Also verified time is in sync between Exchange Servers, DC and GC's. Any ideas would help. You cannot have FBA on both the FE server and the BE mailbox server. Now that you have implem...

how to format date to have a specific format
Hi. I have a query that search between dates. But once the main program from where my linked has Date and time together I had to make a short date: I had this: 04-10-2007 08:35:44 with the short date I have this: 04-10-2007 the problem is that when I insert the criteria the date: 04-10-2007 to list all records of 04-100-2007 the access automatically transform that in: 4-10-2007 I went to the regional settings and the settings are: dd-MM-yyyy The criteria value is a value that comes from a form such as: [forms]![chart]![dateone] What can I do to force the criteria to use: short date...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

how do I set up a number to arabic number
I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change format number in English to arabic number. Hi Ashraf, Assuming the number in in a field, simple: add an 'Arabic picture switch to the filed containing the number. For example, with page numbering- {PAGE \* Arabic } -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Ashraf" <Ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3080821A-C676-4FA2-88C4-D3CDCECF0193@microsoft.com... >I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change > format number in English...