Lookup value off by one row

Hi,
Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated.  I have a worksheet
that identifies how far a number is from target.  I created the lookup below
to coorespond to the productivity increase for next year.

=LOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$A$402,LookUpValues!$B$1:$B$402)

C4 is -10.9, in the lookupValues tab -10.9 is in row 93 column A as is the
desired result return of 5.6 in column b, however the lookup function is
returning 5.7.

The issue may be that the data and the lookupValues tab numbers are not
exactly the same.  -10.90001 and -10.9004 may display the same, but will not
match exactly.  Your data in A1:A402 also has to be in ascending order for
Lookup to work properly

A sort may fix the issue, forcing an exact match should also help

=VLOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$B$402,2,false)  will force an exact match and
the data in A1:A402 and be in any order.

If this errors out your source (C4) and lookup data do not match exactly.
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

"awalker" wrote:

> Hi,
> Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated.  I have a worksheet
> that identifies how far a number is from target.  I created the lookup below
> to coorespond to the productivity increase for next year.
>
> =LOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$A$402,LookUpValues!$B$1:$B$402)
>
> C4 is -10.9, in the lookupValues tab -10.9 is in row 93 column A as is the
> desired result return of 5.6 in column b, however the lookup function is
> returning 5.7.
Paul,
Thanks for your help.  I tried the formula and it errored out.  I then tried
reformating both C4 and the lookup  table but still no go...

"Paul C" wrote:

> The issue may be that the data and the lookupValues tab numbers are not
> exactly the same.  -10.90001 and -10.9004 may display the same, but will not
> match exactly.  Your data in A1:A402 also has to be in ascending order for
> Lookup to work properly
>
> A sort may fix the issue, forcing an exact match should also help
>
> =VLOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$B$402,2,false)  will force an exact match and
> the data in A1:A402 and be in any order.
>
> If this errors out your source (C4) and lookup data do not match exactly.
> --
> If this helps, please remember to click yes.
>

> "awalker" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated.  I have a worksheet
> > that identifies how far a number is from target.  I created the lookup below
> > to coorespond to the productivity increase for next year.
> >
> > =LOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$A$402,LookUpValues!$B$1:$B$402)
> >
> > C4 is -10.9, in the lookupValues tab -10.9 is in row 93 column A as is the
> > desired result return of 5.6 in column b, however the lookup function is
> > returning 5.7.

Pivotable
Is there a method of hiding zero values automatically in pivot tables? Thanks. Double click the field header Uncheck "Show items with no data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thanks for your response. I have followed your instructions but the zero values remain in the report. Any other ideas. >-----Original Message----- >Double click the field header >Uncheck "Show items with no data" > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > ...

how do I insert column headings or labels without using a row?
"column headings" <column headings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:393A9243-0620-480E-A43C-03C3234867EE@microsoft.com... > You don't. Excel has plenty of rows - using just one isn't a problem! Thanks.. But then the row numbering is "taken up" by the title and the "first" row of data is numbered 2. Is there a way to avoid this? Also, how do I designate this first row as a "Column Heading" so that it reprints on every page? "Stephen" wrote: > "column headings" <column headings@discuss...

Identifying the top five values in multiple groups
I've got a spreadsheet of pay information for about eight hundred people. Each person is on one of eight salary scales I'd like to create a new worksheet that shows the details of just the 5 highest paid people in each scale (name, dept, salary, etc.) - and also the five lowest. Ideally, I'd like also to be able to vary that number - eg the top ten, the highest, etc.. Can someone help? Thanks Suppose you have data in Sheet1 in the below format Col A Col B Col C Name Scale Salary a1 1 101 a2 1 102 a3 1 103 a4 2 104 In Sheet2 cel...

Table relationships and lookups
Hi guys, I may be a little over my head, I've had some experience in creating simple access db's. however this one will be extremely complicated as far as I can tell. Some backround info - i've got an excel spreadsheet currently that i would like to convert to Access. The spreadsheet does multiple lookups and calucations. This is for a Soccer club that i run to maintain roster information, dollars, scheduling and stats. I'm currently working on the scheduling pience. Here's what I have so far. tables. Club - Lists the teams in the club, home field name and ...

File handle in global value
I open a file in one thread, save the file handle in a global value(ignoring for a moment that its not recommended), then close the thread , open a new thread and use the handle inside it to access the file and finally close the file in this thread. Is it legal from the point of view of C++/MFC(again,ignoring for a moment that its not recommended)? Regards Mandi >I open a file in one thread, save the file handle in a global value(ignoring >for a moment that its not recommended), then close the thread , open a new >thread and use the handle inside it to access the file and f...

Invoice lookup by paid check number
I frequently have vendors call me asking for information about what invoices were paid by a check number. Is ther an easy way to look this information up? -- Rodger You could go to Inquiry>Purchasing>Transactions by Document, put your check number in the 'from' and 'to' fields. Once the document is displayed in the scrolling window zoom back on the 'Unapplied Amount' field. Viola! the documents paid by the selected payment are listed. Unfortunately there isn't a print icon on this inquiry window, but I think it's the information you wanted. &quo...

Problem with Null value elimintation criteria
Access 2007 on Vista. I'm building a simple append query to add missing records to a table. It examines a list of entries, identifies which are not in the destination table, and adds them. Simple thus far. The problem comes when I add a criteria to the source side to ensure no blank entries are appended. Here's the SQL I'm trying to use: INSERT INTO tblAgents ( AgentID, AgentName ) SELECT qryAgentsImport.RecAgentID, First(qryAgentsImport.RecAgentName) AS FirstOfRecAgentName FROM tblAgents RIGHT JOIN qryAgentsImport ON tblAgents.AgentID = qryAgent...

how to create 0 to 0 value charts
how can i create a chart that for the values that start say for example from 0 for a speed of 1000 and then revolve through different values of speed. these values values when plotted initially start from 0 for 1000 and reach a highest value at say 4000 and return back to 0 at 1000 speed. say that values if they look like these, 1000 0 1400 7 1500 680000 1800 0 2000 650000 2500 660000 3000 750000 3100 800000 3400 0 3500 0 3700 0 3800 0 4000 0 4300 0 4500 0 5000 0 5300 0 5500 0 5700 0 6000 0 6000 0 5700 0 5500 0 5300 0 5000 0 4500 0 4300 0 4000 0 3800 0 3700 0 3500 0 3400 0 3100 0 3000 8500...

Two tables, one query, one form, one problem
Hello all: I have two tables (one with employee data and one with Office location data). They are joined using the office address as the primary key in the Office Table and the foreign key in the Employee Table. I have created a query using all of the fields in each table. Here is what I want to be able to do (and can't seem to): Enter in new employee data and (with a combo box) select the address of the office and have it populate the rest of the office information. When I try it, it doesn't work. I have created a query with the addresses and bound it to the combo box. ...

Lookup
Q103 Q102 Q202 Q302 Q402 Q103 Q203 How can I lookup the Q103 in the row above and then have it pull the number to the right one cell (Q203)? thanks If I understand correctly =INDEX(A2:F2,MATCH(A1,A2:F2,0)+1) where q103 is in a1 and q102-q203 is in a2-f2 Lance >-----Original Message----- >Q103 > > >Q102 Q202 Q302 Q402 Q103 Q203 > > >How can I lookup the Q103 in the row above and then have >it pull the number to the right one cell (Q203)? thanks >. > matt wrote: > Q103 > > > Q102 Q202 Q302 Q402 Q...

Turning off One Note
When I installed Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate the application set up a One Note feature that gets loaded every time I start up the computer. The One Note process shows up as an icon in the system tray, but it is a process I do not use and I don't want it. The only problem is that I cannot figure out how to get rid of it. there is no entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Nor is there an entry in the start folder of either my local user or of all users. If there is an entry in the Office Branch of the registry that controls this, I...

rows & columns height & width
Hello, Is there a way of forcing the row height and column width to be equal , and to remain equal, so that all cells are square ? Thanks KK Here are a few of the results from a Google search with "Excel square cells" http://excel-tips.blogspot.com/2004/12/square-cells-in-excel.html http://www.mrexcel.com/tip071.shtml http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080711081750AAwvQnw A Google with 'free graph paper' also gets some useful results best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "KRK" <...

Help with LOOKUP function
This function is in a workbook with 2 sheets. It _almost_ works perfectly. These "C" columns in two different sheets '2005-2006'!C:C,'2004-2005'!C:C, contain names of people. The D column in one of the sheets - '2004-2005'!D:D - contains a date associated with the person's name from the C column of 2004-2005 sheet. This formula is in the "D" column of Sheet 2005-2006. =LOOKUP('2005-2006'!C:C,'2004-2005'!C:C,'2004-2005'!D:D) The concept is for the formula to lookup the value (person's name) in column C of 2005-2006 a...

A Lookup function does not work
Hi, This is my first posting. I am using Exel 2000. I have 2 separate spreadsheets that have some similar columns but not all of the data in the similar columns is the same. What I want to do is take column A in spreadsheet#1 and find this same value in Column B in Spreadsheet#2 and then insert into column 3 in spreadsheet #1 a value from a different column in spreasheet #2 that corresponds to the row in which the value was looked up in Column B in spreadsheet#2. What I am doing is comparing 2 different inventory files that have stock codes in columns and quantities in another column, but n...

Sorting Data While Maintaining Row Formats
I've built several spreadsheets that have spaces in-between rows (said otherwise, every other row has data). I prefer this look, but every time I try to sort by any column Excel removes my spacing between rows. Any tips on how I can prevent this from happening? Thanks...Gregg --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Gregg Tough one!! All I can think of is to have data in the cells - so that it will sort correctly and stay where it is - but make the text white on white. Is that any good? Andy. "Gregg" <Gregg.ykb0a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message ne...

Use value from InputBox in Advanced ODBC Source
I'd like to include the posting date from a InputBox prompt in an advanced ODBC source. The post date would be used like select * from <complex join here> where postdate >= '<Date from Input>' and postdate < '<Date from input + 1>' The InputBox works well, I assign things to global variables, and such... Has anyone done this? If so, would you mind sharing your experience? I seem to have hit a brick wall If this cannot be done, I assume the task at hand is to create views from each query, and create simple ODBC sources, and go that way? Thanks...

Blank Repeated Values
I have a list in Column A that displays multiple data in an unfilled manner. I have a list in Column B that displays multiple data in a filled manner. How do I autofill the data points in Column A? Example: A1=1 A2:A9=(blank) A10=2 A11:A19=(blank) B1:B9=Blue B10:B19=Red I do not want to manually autofill each data break because there are 30,000+ rows of data (A1:A30000) with data points starting at 1(A1) to 15,000(A29999). The format looks like a finished pivot table. It looks like I am trying to copy a finished pivot table and pasting value to another sheet, then running a pivo...

how do I change picture resolution of all pictures at one time?
I have a large catalogue with over 150 pictures. I have the high res pictures in the file for commercial printing, however would like an e-mailable catalogue and in order to do this I need to change the resolution of all the pictures. Is there a way of doing this all at once? Thanks, Stephen print the cat. to a pdf and email the pdf to your clients. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Stephen" <Stephen @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:344EE8B6-8748-4271-B8C6-C77663F7AB80@microsoft.com... > I have a large catalogue...

return cell reference in a table based upon given lookup criteria
Is there a way to return the cell reference, or column/row coordinates, of a cell within an array or table by providing lookup criteria? Perhaps something like this: For a table of value in A1:E10 F1: (the value to find) G1: =ADDRESS(MAX((A1:E10=F1)*ROW(A1:E10)),MAX((A1:E10=F1)*COLUMN(A1:E10))) Note: Commit that array formula by holding down the [Ctrl][Shift] keys and press [Enter]. That formula returns the address of the 1st cell containing the value in F1, or #VALUE! if there is no match. Am I on the right track here? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Travis" ...

Advanced Lookups
Is there any way to make an advanced lookup the default lookup? so you don't have to always choose that option when doing a lookup? Thanks for any help. Tracey D Advanced lookups ARE the default unless you've done something to make it now so. There isn't any way to "choose" the option when doing a lookup that I know of unless you have some type of customization (easy to do) that would give the user an option. patrick dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Tracey D" <...

Calling employee lookup from button through VBA code
Dear All, Can anyone show me how to call an existing GP employee lookup from a button of a modified form through VBA code. Thanks in advance. -- Developer Hi, If I'm understanding the question - you need to add the lookup button to your project and make sure your project provides that it runs on the modified form. Leslie "Dexdev" wrote: > Dear All, > > Can anyone show me how to call an existing GP employee lookup from a button > of a modified form through VBA code. > > > Thanks in advance. > > -- > Developer Hello Dexdev As per...

how do I get multiple copies on one page
in 2003 I would always get 2 copies of an A5 page if printed on A4 paper. This was useful - how can i set the page sizes so this works again? Are you selecting A5 in page setup and in print setup selecting multiple pages per sheet? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "illston1908" <illston1908@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8080118E-6DFB-478A-9097-7EBDD653E5FA@microsoft.com... > in 2003 I would always get 2 copies of an A5 page if printed on A4 paper. > This was useful - how can i ...

Limiting a column to certain values
I have a table that contains PLSS information and want to restrict the columns to certain values. Since there is a pattern in what they are restricted to, I wonder if there would be an easier way than to create a lookup table and use a constraint. For instance, my values for one field is limited to 3 characters: from 01-49, with the third character always an 'E' or 'W' Would this be easier done in a query or stored procedure or function than to create a lookup table? Thanks for your help. In the case you describe you can use a CHECK constraint: CR...

Am I the only one....
I am running Money 2007. When I enter a transaction into the registry when there is a scheduled payment already in Bill & Payments a message box pops up asking if this is the same transaction. If I answer yes Money freezes and I have to restart the program. If I answer no the program runs fine. Am I the only one with is issue? ...