Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Can anyone provide insight into how Excel treats this type of test? For
example, why does Excel return TRUE when we have ="a">2 but FALSE when ="a"<2
(or any other number for that matter).

Thanks.

That's the way it is treated. Any kind of text is larger than the largest
number.
Any worth? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"rslaughter5" wrote:
> Can anyone provide insight into how Excel treats this type of test? For
> example, why does Excel return TRUE when we have ="a">2 but FALSE when ="a"<2
> (or any other number for that matter).
>
> Thanks.
We went through this routine just a few days ago, on 12/31/2009.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions&tid=80af82fa-d9f8-48a9-9105-059eb3b7e6f0&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&p=1

Well, that was LAST year...

"Max" wrote:

> That's the way it is treated. Any kind of text is larger than the largest
> number.
> Any worth? hit the YES below
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> ---
> "rslaughter5" wrote:
> > Can anyone provide insight into how Excel treats this type of test? For
> > example, why does Excel return TRUE when we have ="a">2 but FALSE when ="a"<2
> > (or any other number for that matter).
> >
> > Thanks.

Converting numerical date to text
Does anyone know how to convert to text and keep the integrity of the numerical date? (example: 4/06/97 to 04061997) I can make it look okay, however; the cell is still reflecting the previous value. Not sure what you mean by "the cell is still reflecting the previous value". 1) Formatting doesn't affect the underlying value stored in the cell. Since XL stores dates as integer offsets from a base date, 4/06/97 is the displayed value for the number 35526 (windows default 1900 date system). You can change the formatting to Format/Cells/Number/Custom mmddyyyy but t...

Set the serial number every 15th column
Hi All. I would like to set the serial number every 15th column. For example, A B C .................. 1 2 3 .. .. 15 1 .. .. 30 2 .. .. 45 3 Is there any formula for A column? Thanks in advance SJ In A1 and then copy down =IF(MOD(ROW(),15)<>0,"",ROW()/15) Copy Col A and paste special as values. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It'...

forgot password 03-09-10
Seems I have forgotten a password I used on a Worksheet. Can someone give me the program to find my password? B. Morris This will not find YOUR password, it will just break the password protection for the sheet. No way to tell if you should have access to the sheet, I will leave that up to your honesty...? Since Excel security is so very lame, I guess it does not matter in the long run. Sub PasswordBreaker_Sheet() 'Author unknown 'Breaks worksheet password protection. Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer Dim l As Integer, m As Intege...

Load a icon into a static text area.
I have an empty statit text box and I want to load an Icon bitmap into it. any ideas? You should be having the SS_ICON style on the static. Code like this would work. HICON hIcon = LoadIcon(AfxGetInstanceHandle(), MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDR_MAINFRAME)) ; ((CStatic*)GetDlgItem(IDC_STATIC1))->ModifyStyle(0, SS_ICON) ; ((CStatic*)GetDlgItem(IDC_STATIC1))->SetIcon(hIcon) ; "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A307A3A1-CB3A-489F-A8D8-8C8DF47B3A2C@microsoft.com... >I have an empty statit text box and I want to load an Icon bitmap into...

Getting space between text and right border. " " not working.
I have a =NOW() cell formatted as: yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm but even when I make it: yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm" " I don't get any more space between the end of the time and the right-hand border and it's printing too close to the edge. What is the fix for this one, pls? Thank you! :oD Try turning wraptext off. It seemed to make a difference in xl2003. StargateFanFromWork wrote: > > I have a =NOW() cell formatted as: > > yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm > > but even when I make it: > > yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h&q...

Crosstab report 10-10-07
The problem is, none of the fields are available for me me to select to create the report ... it's blank. When I try to create a report using design view, the pop-up box for parameter I set keeps coming up everytime I try to move a field onto the report. The Crosstab query has parameters set up for the Start Date and End Date, I read that you have to set up column headings, does this mean that I have to type 1/1/2007, 1/2/2007, .........until I reach 12/31/2007? I want the dates to be column headings, the parameter would only be for 15 days, start: 01/01/2007 end:01/15/2007. W...

&#10; with XmlAttribute.InnerText
Hi, I'm trying to generate XML attribute text that contains the string "&#10;". I need that exact as shown. Unfortunately '&' is expandet to '&amp;'. Any idea how to generate the required content? (BTW: This sequence is used by Excel-XML (SpreadsheetML) to mark a line feed in a cell and I am generating an Excel XML-Document. So I suppose it to be valid XML or should Microsoft really use not wellformed XML?) I have tried to use a '\n' but that also doesn't work. Any help highly appreciated! Thx. hd ...

Special character in text column
I have a column defined as text field in MS Access 2003. I want to insert a string with prefixed of hex02, followed by Carriage Return, followed by Line Feed and ended with hex03. How do I do that manually? eg. (hex02 character)....This is a test.....(Carriage Return, Line Feed, hex03) Thanks Hex(2) & "....This is a test...." & vbCrLf & Hex(3) -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:u1gDZXnUIHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >...

How do I make 11.800 convert to 800 as a number not text
I want to drop the 11. and have the cell next to it be 800. I want to then be able to use that 800 and add other numbers to it. I am having two problems, 1) the 11.800 always becomes 11.8 ( I have tried increasing the decimals) and 2) if I have a different number like for example 11.255 by using RIGHT I succeed in getting 255 but as text. Please help. Thank you all in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Nave, =MOD(A2, 1) * 1000 will give you the 800 from 11.8 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net -----------------------------------------...

How do logicals be added or multiplied?
Hello The following does work, but how is the question. =SUMPRODUCT((range_a < c3)*(range_b>=c9)) When input individually i.e. =(range_a<c3) produces either TRUE or FALSE and same thing for =(range_b>=c9). But as a whole it does produce values like 1,2 ... What is happening? Any ideas? Thanks Because the the formula is saying when using an * How many times is this event TRUE... So in your formula it just counts up the number of times range_a is less then c3 and range b> c9 So since it's just referring to one combination, if both values are true... it will add it up...

Number of Observations
I have a column (say Column A) with 300 values (basically it is a DDE link with data I update). I also have a cell I would like to use (say B1). In cell B1 I would like to be able to enter a value (say 20) where I will be able to use this value in another cell to "observe" the top 20 of the cell from column A. So, If I put 20 in cell B1, in cell (say C1) I would like to put some formula where it can reference the "how many observation" cell B1, and say sum A1:AXX where xx is the value in cell B1. I know in this form it cannot be done, but was wondering if someone ...

How can you identify folders, using folder numbers?
Hi everybody, I've searched and searched and asked in the quasi-defunct yahoo exchange newsgroup, but I've never found an answer as to how I can actually utilize the folder identification information contained in Exchange error log events. An example is as such: Event: 1173 Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Description: Error 0x6bb deleting unused restricted view from folder 1-1A42FF on database "First Storage Group\SG1 Mailbox1". It would be insanely useful if I could tell which folder 1-1A42FF is, so I can narrow down where the problem is occurring, you know?? Anyone...

Email tracking 12-23-05
It seems that there are a number of issues with having the CRM: xxxxxxx in the subject of the CRM emails: 1) Many servers reject these emails as spam 2) It confuses the hell out of my customers To that end I have disabled email tracking. Isn't there a better way of tracking emails? Outlook makes a reasonable fist of it but just using the email address and subject. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do no...

Trying to calculate the number of packets transferred in a 15 minute session
OK, this should be really easy, but the number I'm coming up with seems way too high. Rather than bias anything by showing my (presumably) incorrect Excel formula, let me just say this: If 30kb is transferred in 1 second, how many Megabytes are transferred in 15 minutes? The number I'm coming up with is 27 Gigabytes but that can't be right. TIA, Robert There are 900 seconds in 15 minutes, so you can transfer 900 x 30 kb in that time, i.e 27000 kb, or 27 Mb (not Gb). Hope this helps. Pete On Mar 27, 1:24=A0am, darkwing_d...@myrealbox.com wrote: > OK, th...

Sort combination of letters and numbers
I have this type of data to sort: C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4, C-5, C-6, all the way up to C-500, but it doesn't sort into number order. How can I make it sort by number, and disregard the "C-" part? thanks! Assuming your data is in column C and it starts in row 1... In a blank column next to your data enter this formula... =RIGHT(C1,LEN(C1)-2) Fill the formula down to the bottom of your data. Select both columns and sort using the new column as the key. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins - try the "Special So...

Export emails from Vista windows Mail to Outlook Express 08-18-10
Sorry but somehow I couldn't add this to the original thread of the Post I sent earlier this month. My friend wanted to Export emails from Vista Windows Mail to Outlook Express Anyway although this is no longer a problem as my friend finally found another way to do this I am curious as to why her AppData did not appear. I passed on the instructions to her and also tested it out myself on W7 WLM and it worked for me. However when she started to go through the procedure she found out where her Store folder was located and when she tried to navigate to her Store folder s...

Workflow Logic
Here is what I am trying to do and can't figure it out. I want to create a new order processing rule that manages our internal processes once an order is created. Here is the question: The first step is a Phone Call Activity to thank the customer for the new order. How do I tell CRM to email the manager if that call hasn't been made within 48 hours? I don't want things to fall through the cracks and would like CRM to notify management when activities are not completed. Thanks for your help. B. Insert Action-> Create Activity Wait For Timer (48 hrs) If Activity.status...

Stationery #10
How I get a background by the picture(Only 1 picture) to stationery at bottom right side, not repeat . thank you. ...

insert an order number when another sheet opens
I have a form and every time I open it I need it to create a new number. Is this possible. also if I put it a number that does not correspond to an other number can it give me a warning. Thank you so much for your help Carmen cbucco@buccocouture.com ...

if statement = if number is between
I'm working on a timekeeping database and I'm struggling with the vacation/sick time accrual part of it. I have a table that says if an employee has been with the company for more than one year, they begin to accrue vacation time at .833 days per month. If the employee has been with the company more than 8 years but less than 14 years they accrue vacation time at 1.25 days per month. If the employee has been with the company for more than 14 years but less than 20 years they accrue at 1.667 days per month. I have a table with employees and each employee record has the...

Problem formatting data in text fields in Access Report
Hi, I'm working on making a custom report in Access and am having trouble formatting some numbers that are in text fields. The report was started with the report creating wizard and modified to meet customer requirements. Access used text fields to sum a few of the fields (i.e. Jan 07), but it won't let me decrease the decimals (the data looks like 155.5, but it should say 156). If you go into properties for the text field and go to the format tab, then select 0 decimal places, decimals still show up. What could be wrong? Thanks, Dave DaveA wrote: >I'm working on ...

Problem with text decoration using Word as editor
I have a client, using Outlook (Office 2002 I think), he insists on using Word as the email editor. Whether responding to a message or creating a new one, he can apply all text decoration (bold, italic, underline, etc) except color in his message. When working in Word there is no problem, any ideas? -- ---- Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm _________________________________________________________________________________ ...

Entourage Signature 03-20-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I have made a custom signature that works great with sending and forwarding e-mails but for some reason shows up at the bottom of the page on replys. How can I fix that? On 3/20/10 4:52 PM, WWhiteley@officeformac.com wrote: > I have made a custom signature that works great with sending and > forwarding e-mails but for some reason shows up at the bottom of the > page on replys. How can I fix that? Your only options for displaying your signature are set under Entourage ...

Option Buttons #10
In Excel 2003, why can't I format an option button like I could in Excel 2000? Before I could right click the button, format control, and there was a control tab. In 2003 you have to be in "design mode" and right click, properties and then you get a confusing properties box. I have a file that i created with 2000 (old option buttons) and I tried to add more buttons using 2003 and now I have two different types of option buttons. Is there any way to just go back to the old way of formatting option controls? There's an optionbutton on the Forms Toolbar and an optionb...

Entering a serial number into Test Drive
I have a new Powerbook, which came with the Office Test Drive=20 installed. My previous computer had Office X installed, as an upgrade=20 from Office 98. Is there a way that I can activate the Office Test Drive with my = existing=20 serial number for Office X Upgrade, without doing a complete uninstall/ reinstall? Thanks. In article <0dd001c3c0fa$e7f3afd0$3101280a@phx.gbl>, "Philip Mastman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a new Powerbook, which came with the Office Test Drive > installed. My previous computer had Office X installed, as ...