Linking to other worksheets

I have 12 worksheets (Jan - Dec) each containing data for each month. I also
have a summary sheet that i would like to link to the monthly data. On the
summary sheet my months are listed vertically A5 (Jan) - A16 (Dec) with sales
data to go in B5-B16. Formula for B5 is =Jan!$B$35, B6 is =Feb!$B$35 and so
on.

How can I set it up so i don't have to manually type in the worksheet
reference every time? For example it won't allow to reference the worksheet
name from a cell:  =A5!$B$35

If the worksheet names are in cell A5 and below, then you can do this:

=3DINDIRECT("'"&A5&"'!B"&ROW(A35))

Then you can copy down and the ROW(A35) bit will become ROW(A36),
ROW(A37) etc, returning 35, 36, 37 and so on in turn.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 18, 1:26=A0am, Cav <C...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have 12 worksheets (Jan - Dec) each containing data for each month. I a=
lso
> have a summary sheet that i would like to link to the monthly data. On th=
> summary sheet my months are listed vertically A5 (Jan) - A16 (Dec) with s=
ales
> data to go in B5-B16. Formula for B5 is =3DJan!$B$35, B6 is =3DFeb!$B$35 =
and so
> on.
>
> How can I set it up so i don't have to manually type in the worksheet
> reference every time? For example it won't allow to reference the workshe=
et
> name from a cell: =A0=3DA5!$B$35

0
Pete_UK
4/18/2010 1:03:09 AM
RE: How can I set it up so i don't have to manually type in the worksheet
> reference every time?

Why are typing the Worksheet name manually? Use you mouse pointer and let
Excel do the typing and fill down.

You could use INDIRECT to reference the sheet name in a cell, BUT then all
your references will be Volatile.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Cav" <Cav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 12 worksheets (Jan - Dec) each containing data for each month. I
>also
> have a summary sheet that i would like to link to the monthly data. On the
> summary sheet my months are listed vertically A5 (Jan) - A16 (Dec) with
> sales
> data to go in B5-B16. Formula for B5 is =Jan!$B$35, B6 is =Feb!$B$35 and
> so
> on.
>
> How can I set it up so i don't have to manually type in the worksheet
> reference every time? For example it won't allow to reference the
> worksheet
> name from a cell:  =A5!$B$35

0
ozgrid
4/18/2010 1:35:57 AM
Hi,

Try this in cell B5 and copy down till B16

=indirect(A5&"!$B$35")

--
Regards,

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Cav" <Cav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 12 worksheets (Jan - Dec) each containing data for each month. I
> also
> have a summary sheet that i would like to link to the monthly data. On the
> summary sheet my months are listed vertically A5 (Jan) - A16 (Dec) with
> sales
> data to go in B5-B16. Formula for B5 is =Jan!$B$35, B6 is =Feb!$B$35 and
> so
> on.
>
> How can I set it up so i don't have to manually type in the worksheet
> reference every time? For example it won't allow to reference the
> worksheet
> name from a cell:  =A5!$B$35

0
Ashish

Change link between form and subform

copying a sorted worksheet to another woksheet.
I am trying to to do data entry for an accounting journal, and I want t have the seperate sheets copy their respective information as the dat is entered. For example, if I enter a Cash transaction on the entr page, I want the cash worksheet page to copy that information as well. I can do it with an if statment already, but that leaves blank spaces i the cash sheet if you have blanks in the entry page -- e_shoopma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- e_shoopman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=457 View this thread: http://www.office...

linking #4

Linked Forms

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Only One New Worksheet
XL and MS Office Professional 2003 I have changed the number of "sheets in new worksheet" (Tools/Options/General) to 6, however I keep getting only one sheet when I open a new workbook. No matter how many sheets I try in the option, I still only get one. I have also tried running "Detect and Repair". Any Ideas? Don Hi, Just the thought: Try to locate default template in XLStart directory (Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart). Open it and see what Options...General are set to. HTH Paul > XL and MS Office Professional 2003 > > I have changed the nu...

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

Excel 2007
I am trying to do a mail merge, and the information I need is contained in two separate excel workbooks. The first workbook contains the names and addresses of individuals who receive a specific item number. The second workbok lists the various item numbers along with the price for each item. Is there a function in Excel that I can use to add the pricing information contained in the second workbooks to the first workbook, so that I can successfully compplete my mail merge using one data source document? You can use VLOOKUP. Assuming Col C in sheet 1 contains item# and ...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

List of worksheets
Is it possible to obtain a list of the worksheets in a workbook and, say, store it in a separate sheet or export it to Word? Thanks in advance. Thanks. Do you happen to know if this can be done by, say, macro as I didn't really want to buy a whole utility for such a straightforward task! "Stelios Tserkezis" <tserkezis_st@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O81A5xuSDHA.1556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > you can use power utility pak v5 from http://j-walk.com/ss/pup/pup5/ > its the best tool. > � "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> ������ ...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

How do i Change links to Relative links for linking pdf files?
Using Publisher, how do i change a link from absolute to relative.. I ahave created an offline website as a demo CD to hand out to clients, but the linked PDF's will only work when the CD drive of the computer is D:, how can i make the link read from the CD no matter whats the drive directory is called?? Please help When you are in the hyperlink dialog do not browse to the file to set the link. Use the address option and enter the path you want. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Riggaz" <Riggaz@discussions.microso...

Sharepoint Linked Table
Hi! I just inherited an Access 2003 database which has a linked table to Sharepoint (dbo_...) without any problem. When you view the actual table from Sharepoint it only has 5 fields, but in Access 2003 have 12 fields. It gets updated without any issue. We are in the process of converting to Access 2007 and the linked table is different from Access 2003. Most of the columns are dropped. Would anyone know how I can keep the same exact column layout (# of columns) as in 2003? This is necessary, because in the code, the linked table updates the local table. Also, we must leave as is, beca...

Help with links in one worksheet please
Hi I have made up a worksheet that will work out all my takings & expenses for the week. I have then made a totals sheet which I would like to add up all the Weekly totals for the year. I have done all the links from the Weekly sheet to the totals sheet and they all work fine. As I will have 52 weeks how do I copy the links I have made for week one (with the relevant changes for that weekly sheet) in the totals sheet? I hope you can understand this Any web sites that may help? Thanks for looking Derek One way is to make a list of your sheet names in col A and use or a modifi...

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...

Linking
Hi all, i have a basic doubt regarding Static Linking and Dynamic Linking. if i have a dll used in a VC application by adding the dll header and making reference to the dll in the libraries, is it can be called as static linking? if i have a vc application which uses a dll by loading it using LoadLibrary API, is this only can be called as Dynamic linking? is Load-Time Dynamic Linking i.e., using API LoadLibrary is only Dynamic linking or even Runtime Dynamic Linking ( adding the header into the project and making a reference to the dll in the libraries property ) is also a kind of Dyn...

In Visio how can I link a shape to a word file
I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:57:21 -0700, BB1066 <BB1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as >buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? Select the shape then from the 'Insert' menu select 'Hyperlinks'. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio http...