Is there a function that counts distinct number od records in a ra

 I am looking for a way to tell how many distinct values are in a range. For
example, say I have values in Range A5:A2000 and I want to know of those 1995
cells how many distinct values are in the range.

See:
Counting Distinct Entries In A Range
in:
http://www.cpearson.com/EXCEL/Duplicates.aspx
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Ayo" wrote:

>  I am looking for a way to tell how many distinct values are in a range. For
> example, say I have values in Range A5:A2000 and I want to know of those 1995
> cells how many distinct values are in the range.
John Walkenbach has a few solutions with the best you can count the unique
items then once the count is found they can be listed. Try,

www.spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/site/tip/identifying_unique_values_in_an_array_or_range/

HTH
Peter

"Ayo" wrote:

>  I am looking for a way to tell how many distinct values are in a range. For
> example, say I have values in Range A5:A2000 and I want to know of those 1995
> cells how many distinct values are in the range.
Hi,

Try this but have a look at this page which discusses the merits of various
ways of doing this. And BTW doesn't like this method

=SUMPRODUCT((A5:A2000<>"")/COUNTIF(A5:A2000,A5:A2000&""))

http://www.sulprobil.com/html/count_unique.html
--
Mike

question.

"Ayo" wrote:

>  I am looking for a way to tell how many distinct values are in a range. For
> example, say I have values in Range A5:A2000 and I want to know of those 1995
> cells how many distinct values are in the range.

Drop-Ship serial numbers
I have had several clients request the option to record the serial numbers for drop shipped items. They truely do not know the serial numbers however the serial numbers are on the invoice they receive from the vendor. The ability to record these in GP without customizations would be great. it would also minimize having to enter serial numbers in multiple locations. The address it ships to will identify exactly which customer received the serial number so there should be no problem with matching. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the ...

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

Item level revision numbers on POs
The Item Engineering info on inventory items in manufacturing includes revision numbers for items, however because that info is in the manufacturing dictionary we can't include through report writer on POs. I'd like to develop a routine that would copy the revision number from the item engineering table to one of the user-defined tables in inventory. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or an alternate approach to the problem? -- Jim@TurboChef Jim- This script will put the current Rev level from Item Engineering into User Category 1 on the item master. update iv00101 set usca...

Returning a range from an inner function
I have a range of data, which has had the DOLLAR() function performed on it. I would like to get the total of this range using the SUM() function. doing SUM(F1:F4) will not work, so I need to convert the data into values that will work. The VALUE() function is perfect for converting the data into values that will work for SUM(), but the formula SUM(VALUE(F1:F4)) does not work because VALUE() will not accept a range as a parameter (and also does not return a range). I need to perform the VALUE() function on each cell before submitting it to SUM(). There must be some way to do this, cons...

JustifyString function problem
Hi, I'm using the "JustifyString" function (from Stephan Lebans) to right justify three columns in a ListBox. Two of them are working fine ... one's a simple number (long integer) and the other's currency. The third causes an Access 2003 crash! That third column is a long integer which is a link to the autonumber field in another table. Both tables are in the query as I need columns from both tables in the ListBox. If I change the JustifyString to reference the autonumber field in the other table, I still get an Access crash. I didn't review the Access er...

automating functions
I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and automatically assign a new case to the least busy CSR. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim Please tell me what I would have to do and with what tools in order to create such a workflow process. "jmb" wrote: > I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for > example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and > automatically assign a new case to the lea...

Returning a CHAR[] from a function
I have the following function that returns the path of where the program was run from. However I cant seem to return the butter as a CHAR. The code works if I use it in a procedure but not where I need to return the variable CHAR buffer. char CAutoRunDlg::GetProgramPath(void) { char buffer[_MAX_PATH]; //declares maimum path //opens window maximized //_getcwd(,)gets the current working directory // #include <direct.h> //needed for current working directory /* Get the current working directory: */ if( _getcwd( buffer, _MAX_PATH ) == NULL ) perror( "_getcwd error" )...

Caption Numbering in a long document
I posted this last week but didn't get any response. I am reposting just in case the reason was that it looked like I may have answered my own question - which I didn't. I am using MS Word 2003 in a Windows XP Pro environment. I am working on a document with many (100+) figures with captions that are located in various chapters, sections and subsections. I don't have a problem numbering the caption automatically with the appropriate heading level but when I adjust the caption heading level in the caption dialog box (e.g. from H3 to H4) all of my previously created H3 ...

Turning Off Error Reporting using API Functions and VB
We want to automatically turn off the error reporting options using Windows API functions for the following functions area Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, the Advanced tab and Error Reporting (at the bottom of the screen), which launches the Error Reporting screen. Another way to get to that screen: Open My Computer, right-click on Properties, click on Advanced tab and Error Reporting. Any assistance would be welcome. It's not a program's call. It's the user's decision. --=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --...

Complex functions
Hi All, Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a condition, then you will/can have something like: =if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function) It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin. Is there a way to 'name' a function? =If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function) With kind regards, JP Yes you can put a formula into an Excel Name (the same as you can give a range an Excel Name. Very powerful it can be too. Do a Google fo...

variable chart color by number value
How can I have a bar chart (cash flow) change color based on the value of a point -- either positive or negative? Tak a look at this and see if it helps http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F985A35B-6FA4-4711-A778-E2E73A7AB734@microsoft.com... > How can I have a bar chart (cash flow) change color based on the value of > a > point -- either positive or negative? ...

count rows of a filtered list
Hi I am often counting rows in a list that has been filtered. is there an easy way of finding out how many are in the filtered row, thanks tim You can use the SUBTOTAL function to count the filtered rows. There's information in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions04.html#Filter For example: =SUBTOTAL(3,B2:B400) Tim wrote: > Hi I am often counting rows in a list that has been filtered. is there > an easy way of finding out how many are in the filtered row, thanks tim > > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book L...

Counting data problem
Hi all... I am having a slight problem. I have a list of test scores... 82, 86, 27, etc... I am trying to coun the number of scores within a certain range. For example, I want t know the number of scores between 50 and 80. I have made many attempts and may be shooting off into the dark... my most recent attempt was something like: =COUNTIF(D2:D17, "50:80") o =COUNTIF(D2:D17, ">=50<80") Any thoughts or help would help greatly. Thanks, Ro -- rdussea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rdusseau's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

auto fill numbering
I'm using access 2000 and I'm wondering if it's possible to do something like excel does. What I'm looking to do is to be able to highlight a few serial numbers that have already been put into the table and just drag down so that they numbers will continue withhout having to type them all. I can't use Auto number because the serial numbers will repeat themselves when I change part numbers. Any suggestions?? thank you No, you can't do that in Access. You can add records programmatically though. See the MakeData() function here: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-3...

Match Function
Hi, I have put together a spreadsheet to find codes, states, descriptions. It finds the data by dates. Columns are: Dates, Codes, States, Descriptions If I put in a date it matches the code, state and description. My problem is that if I have 2 dates that are the same it will only match the first date it can find. What kind of formula do I need so that it will output the second or third date data. Thanks for your help. If you need a copy of the spreadsheet please let me know. How many rows of data do you have? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Melanie" <Melanie@discussio...

If Function Function
okay. So I am trying to workout a formula to compute a commision earning. Basically, if X amount of new business is made, then X*Y (corresponding Commision rate percentage), but if new business =<X, then X*Y (Commision rate percentage that is true). Problem is, it's super confusing...anyone have any suggestions? See if this helps: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "aetejada" <aetejada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4E55F7-9435-4BB6-837A-416A59BB72A0@microsoft.com... > okay. So I am...

Outlook 2002 Change Password function
I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but it does noet seem to work. Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 Important: Outlook client is not member of the domain... There are not many Microsoft Articles about this. Anyone? -- Regards, Menko den Ouden Netherlands Menko den Ouden schreef in deze nieuwsgroep op 23-6-2005 15:28: > I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but > it does noet seem to work. > > Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 > ...

DateDiff function throwing error in Where clause
I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error: WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0 I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error. There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works fine. Only when I use t...

timing a function
Good Morning All, I've writen an MFC C++ application, under VC++6.0 . How can I check how much time it takes for a specific function to complete? I need to know how many miliseconds one of my function call takes. Thanks very much in advance, Dudu Arbel If your accuracy requirement is in ms - use GetTickCount. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "dududuil" <dududuil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0167B90-33D2-4A4F-A73D-DC4EBEF81946@microsoft.com... > Good Morning All, > > I've writen an MFC C++ ...

non-functioning multiple Array formulas in a workbook
I have a workbook with used for forecasting. I use a template sheet for each forecast (all forecast sheets -54- are the same and contain sheet-level names). On each sheet I have a formula that counts the number of chargeable engagements (where the chargeable engagement is indicated by a "C" in the preceding column) and places the results in a cell with concatenated text. The 'chargeable designation' column is a named range. I can get the formula to work on only two of the worksheets. It can be any two sheets, but it will only work on two sheets maximum. I have tried a numbe...

C function prototype
Is that for Class/Object function prototype, I must define the function in header file or .cpp file. MyClass::functionA(); MyClass::functionB(); but for C function prototype, I don't have to define if it's put before the main() function the following is not needed - void stradd (char *s1, char *s2); void stradd (char *s1, int i); ========= #include <iostream> // cannot be iostream.h?? #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <comdef.h> #include <conio.h> #include <windows.h> // must need for SYSTEMTIME //must need C/C++ > General...

dir helper functions
I just created the first draft of some PowerShell functions I've added to my profile.ps1 to let me leverage my cmd.exe "dir" command experience, yet use the PowerShell version of this functionality (outputing a stream of Directory and File objects). function dir/od { dir $args | sort LastWriteTime } function dir/o-d { dir $args | sort LastWriteTime -Descending} function dir/os { dir $args | ? { !$_.PSIsContainer } | sort Length } function dir/o-s { dir $args | ? { !$_.PSIsContainer } | sort Length -Descending} function dir/os/a-d { dir $args | ? ...

Data format in publisher merge function
I am trying to merge data from excel to Publisher and some columns of data come across with too many decimal position i.e number in excel 54.090 comes across as 54.09000000003. I have tried to format the columns as text but does not seem to work. DK <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am trying to merge data from excel to Publisher and some columns of > data come across with too many decimal position i.e number in excel > 54.090 comes across as 54.09000000003. I have tried to format the > columns as text but does not seem to work. Export ...

Help with function, not sure which one
I don't want to use a macro...is it possible to do the following with functions? New York Joe Tim Kim Jane San Diego Tim Jane St Louis Joe Tim Kim If I enter New York I want excel to return Joe, Tim, Kim, Jane in a cell by looking at the table above which will be in the same worksheet If I enter St Louis I want it to Return Joe, Tim, Kim in a cell by looking at the above etc. Thanks so much I am having a hard time deciding where to st...

How do I set up a function that...
How do I set up a function that allows for me to say that if any cell in column a equals a particular number than another cell in that row will equal a name? One way: B1: =IF(A1=<particular number>,"a name", "") Copy down as far as necessary. In article <1240500B-5501-4C81-BCAB-879E902ADE94@microsoft.com>, "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I set up a function that allows for me to say that if any cell in > column a equals a particular number than another cell in that row will equal > a name? ...