IF function 11-15-09

If I create a function which checks for text in a cell, it gives a #NAME?
error.
I have a sheet with a cell containing the text 'Single'. In another cell I
want to check for that word so I type =if(a1=''Single'', 1,2). Is there
something wrong with that IF, it happens with any text I check for.

Perhaps you need to use a semicolon rather than a comma - try it this
way:

=3DIF(A1=3D"Single";1;2)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 15, 8:31=A0pm, Imani <Im...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> If I create a function which checks for text in a cell, it gives a #NAME?
> error.
> I have a sheet with a cell containing the text 'Single'. In another cell =
> want to check for that word so I type =3Dif(a1=3D''Single'', 1,2). Is the=
re
> something wrong with that IF, it happens with any text I check for.

0
Pete_UK
11/15/2009 9:09:53 PM
Imani

I copied your formula from your post onto Excel.

Looks like you have, instead of double quotes, two single
quotes(apostrophes) before and after the string  Single

Re-type using double quotes.

If Single is realy 'Single'  then

=IF(A!="'Single'",1,2)

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:09:53 -0800 (PST), Pete_UK <pashurst@auditel.net>
wrote:

>Perhaps you need to use a semicolon rather than a comma - try it this
>way:
>
>=IF(A1="Single";1;2)
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Pete
>
>On Nov 15, 8:31�pm, Imani <Im...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> If I create a function which checks for text in a cell, it gives a #NAME?
>> error.
>> I have a sheet with a cell containing the text 'Single'. In another cell I
>> want to check for that word so I type =if(a1=''Single'', 1,2). Is there
>> something wrong with that IF, it happens with any text I check for.

0
Gord

List box search 03-15-07
Greetings and thank you in advance.I have a form with a list box I can search on this form.If I double click the item in the list box, it brings me to anotherform with the case details. If I want to search again I can click search on the 2ndmore detailed form and go back to the form with the list box. However, the form is empty. Can I return to the list box form where I left off?If so how?Thank you so much. Hi Lin,can you pleas specify more details about what type of information your forms contain and your process? ThanksWarm Regards,Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) *MVP Access...

Returning a range from an inner function
I have a range of data, which has had the DOLLAR() function performed on it. I would like to get the total of this range using the SUM() function. doing SUM(F1:F4) will not work, so I need to convert the data into values that will work. The VALUE() function is perfect for converting the data into values that will work for SUM(), but the formula SUM(VALUE(F1:F4)) does not work because VALUE() will not accept a range as a parameter (and also does not return a range). I need to perform the VALUE() function on each cell before submitting it to SUM(). There must be some way to do this, cons...

Order date logging 02-11-08
I have a database set up that has each one of my customers listed on a different form. For each customer, I would like to be able to enter Date Ordered, Date Completed, and Date Faxed. I have seen this done at the bottom of a form, where there is a box like structure, and there is one line for each order, but different columns for the categories. Everytime you hit enter, it would add another line automatically. How do I go about setting this up? Thank you. If you truly have a different form for each customer, you need to stop here and redesign your database. Off hand, I'd suggest...

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

JustifyString function problem
Hi, I'm using the "JustifyString" function (from Stephan Lebans) to right justify three columns in a ListBox. Two of them are working fine ... one's a simple number (long integer) and the other's currency. The third causes an Access 2003 crash! That third column is a long integer which is a link to the autonumber field in another table. Both tables are in the query as I need columns from both tables in the ListBox. If I change the JustifyString to reference the autonumber field in the other table, I still get an Access crash. I didn't review the Access er...

automating functions
I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and automatically assign a new case to the least busy CSR. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim Please tell me what I would have to do and with what tools in order to create such a workflow process. "jmb" wrote: > I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for > example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and > automatically assign a new case to the lea...

Returning a CHAR[] from a function
I have the following function that returns the path of where the program was run from. However I cant seem to return the butter as a CHAR. The code works if I use it in a procedure but not where I need to return the variable CHAR buffer. char CAutoRunDlg::GetProgramPath(void) { char buffer[_MAX_PATH]; //declares maimum path //opens window maximized //_getcwd(,)gets the current working directory // #include <direct.h> //needed for current working directory /* Get the current working directory: */ if( _getcwd( buffer, _MAX_PATH ) == NULL ) perror( "_getcwd error" )...

Turning Off Error Reporting using API Functions and VB
We want to automatically turn off the error reporting options using Windows API functions for the following functions area Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, the Advanced tab and Error Reporting (at the bottom of the screen), which launches the Error Reporting screen. Another way to get to that screen: Open My Computer, right-click on Properties, click on Advanced tab and Error Reporting. Any assistance would be welcome. It's not a program's call. It's the user's decision. --=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --...

Complex functions
Hi All, Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a condition, then you will/can have something like: =if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function) It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin. Is there a way to 'name' a function? =If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function) With kind regards, JP Yes you can put a formula into an Excel Name (the same as you can give a range an Excel Name. Very powerful it can be too. Do a Google fo...

Match Function
Hi, I have put together a spreadsheet to find codes, states, descriptions. It finds the data by dates. Columns are: Dates, Codes, States, Descriptions If I put in a date it matches the code, state and description. My problem is that if I have 2 dates that are the same it will only match the first date it can find. What kind of formula do I need so that it will output the second or third date data. Thanks for your help. If you need a copy of the spreadsheet please let me know. How many rows of data do you have? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Melanie" <Melanie@discussio...

If Function Function
okay. So I am trying to workout a formula to compute a commision earning. Basically, if X amount of new business is made, then X*Y (corresponding Commision rate percentage), but if new business =<X, then X*Y (Commision rate percentage that is true). Problem is, it's super confusing...anyone have any suggestions? See if this helps: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "aetejada" <aetejada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4E55F7-9435-4BB6-837A-416A59BB72A0@microsoft.com... > okay. So I am...

Joining tables 11-26-09
Hi I have two tables - one for debtors and one for creditors, both have the same columns (name, number, NIP, value). I want to create a table (query) that will combine rows from both tables but only those rows that have the same NIP. Furthermore I want the rows to be grouped by the name with sums on values. I tried this query: SELECT Debtors.name, Debtors.NIP, SUM(Debtors.values) as [Total debts] FROM Debtors GROUP BY Debtors.name, Debtors.NIP UNION ALL SELECT Creditors.name, Creditors.NIP, SUM(Creditors.values) FROM Creditors GROUP BY Creditors.name, Creditors.NIP HAVING C...

timing a function
Good Morning All, I've writen an MFC C++ application, under VC++6.0 . How can I check how much time it takes for a specific function to complete? I need to know how many miliseconds one of my function call takes. Thanks very much in advance, Dudu Arbel If your accuracy requirement is in ms - use GetTickCount. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "dududuil" <dududuil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0167B90-33D2-4A4F-A73D-DC4EBEF81946@microsoft.com... > Good Morning All, > > I've writen an MFC C++ ...

Fill a 15 Characters Data with Zeros
I am getting nuts with this.... I have an amount in A1: 108.203 And I need to fill A2 that must be 15 characters with the value of A1 and the remain characters before the first number (1) must be fill with Zeros. E.I.: The result must be: A2= 00000000108.203 Is there a way to do it? Thanks in advance for your help. Maybe... =text(a1,rept("0",11)&".000") Is the number of decimal places always 3? ileanardz wrote: > > I am getting nuts with this.... > > I have an amount in A1: 108.203 > > And I need to fill A2 that m...

Outlook 2002 Change Password function
I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but it does noet seem to work. Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 Important: Outlook client is not member of the domain... There are not many Microsoft Articles about this. Anyone? -- Regards, Menko den Ouden Netherlands Menko den Ouden schreef in deze nieuwsgroep op 23-6-2005 15:28: > I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but > it does noet seem to work. > > Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 > ...

DateDiff function throwing error in Where clause
I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error: WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0 I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error. There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works fine. Only when I use t...

excel 97 and Novell 4.11
I have a problem with Novell Client 4.83 SP1, Win2K and Excel 97. Opening a document from Novell 4.11 (SP9) with longer than 8.3, i.e. "Longfilename.xls", it will be opened twice. The second file with "LONGFILE".XLS". How can i stop this? Try this method......... In the shortcut to open Excel enclose the pathname in double quotes. "C:\your path\to excel\excel.exe" Gord Dibben XL2002 On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:20:01 +0100, <mailoffice@gmx.de> wrote: >I have a problem with Novell Client 4.83 SP1, Win2K and Excel 97. Opening a >document from No...

C function prototype
Is that for Class/Object function prototype, I must define the function in header file or .cpp file. MyClass::functionA(); MyClass::functionB(); but for C function prototype, I don't have to define if it's put before the main() function the following is not needed - void stradd (char *s1, char *s2); void stradd (char *s1, int i); ========= #include <iostream> // cannot be iostream.h?? #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <comdef.h> #include <conio.h> #include <windows.h> // must need for SYSTEMTIME //must need C/C++ > General...

non-functioning multiple Array formulas in a workbook
I have a workbook with used for forecasting. I use a template sheet for each forecast (all forecast sheets -54- are the same and contain sheet-level names). On each sheet I have a formula that counts the number of chargeable engagements (where the chargeable engagement is indicated by a "C" in the preceding column) and places the results in a cell with concatenated text. The 'chargeable designation' column is a named range. I can get the formula to work on only two of the worksheets. It can be any two sheets, but it will only work on two sheets maximum. I have tried a numbe...

Data format in publisher merge function
I am trying to merge data from excel to Publisher and some columns of data come across with too many decimal position i.e number in excel 54.090 comes across as 54.09000000003. I have tried to format the columns as text but does not seem to work. DK <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am trying to merge data from excel to Publisher and some columns of > data come across with too many decimal position i.e number in excel > 54.090 comes across as 54.09000000003. I have tried to format the > columns as text but does not seem to work. Export ...

dir helper functions
I just created the first draft of some PowerShell functions I've added to my profile.ps1 to let me leverage my cmd.exe "dir" command experience, yet use the PowerShell version of this functionality (outputing a stream of Directory and File objects). function dir/od { dir $args | sort LastWriteTime } function dir/o-d { dir $args | sort LastWriteTime -Descending} function dir/os { dir $args | ? { !$_.PSIsContainer } | sort Length } function dir/o-s { dir $args | ? { !$_.PSIsContainer } | sort Length -Descending} function dir/os/a-d { dir $args | ? ...

Help with function, not sure which one
I don't want to use a macro...is it possible to do the following with functions? New York Joe Tim Kim Jane San Diego Tim Jane St Louis Joe Tim Kim If I enter New York I want excel to return Joe, Tim, Kim, Jane in a cell by looking at the table above which will be in the same worksheet If I enter St Louis I want it to Return Joe, Tim, Kim in a cell by looking at the above etc. Thanks so much I am having a hard time deciding where to st...

How do I set up a function that...
How do I set up a function that allows for me to say that if any cell in column a equals a particular number than another cell in that row will equal a name? One way: B1: =IF(A1=<particular number>,"a name", "") Copy down as far as necessary. In article <1240500B-5501-4C81-BCAB-879E902ADE94@microsoft.com>, "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I set up a function that allows for me to say that if any cell in > column a equals a particular number than another cell in that row will equal > a name? ...

Loan function
Can anyone give me a suggestion how to create loan form where user can loan a thing for example loan 5 pencil and then can return separately for example return 1 then return 4? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200706/1 Hi Emily Before you design a form, you must first design your database (tables and relationships) And before you can design your database, you must thoroughly understand the system that you are modelling. Here are a few questions you need to answer: Are these "pencils" all the same, or ...

Using the CASE function in SmartList Builder
I need to create a calculated field in SmartList Builder to print the Payroll Transaction History:UPR TRX Amount when the Payroll Transaction History:Payroll Code is not equal to certain values. Here is the sql query I would run to select those results: SELECT UPRTRXAM FROM UPR30300 WHERE PAYROLCD NOT IN ('STD', 'LTD', 'XMAS', 'BONUS', 'CAR', 'CLOTH', 'ADDPAY'). Normally I would use restrictions to restrict the whole SmartList object but I need those records to be available for another column. I haven't really worked with t...