How to use VLookup with a range of numbers?

Hi I'm trying to solve this problem I have and could use some help, I was
wondering if its possible to use VLookup to check through a range of data in
one cell, ex: 89-100 or 71-74. But I'm not sure if there is a way to make
excel understand FROM 89 TO 100 0r 71 TO 74. (Yes I've just started learning
excel on my own)

This is the problem I'm trying to solve:

To calculate the data in the 20 Point Scale column, enter a formula that
converts each student’s Final Percentage to a number grade on the 20 Point
Scale as outlined below:-

80% and above = 1
75-79% = 2
71-74% = 3
70% = 4
67-69% = 5
64-66% = 6
61-63% = 7
60% = 8
57-59% = 9
54-56% = 10
51-53% = 11
50% = 12
47-49%  = 13
44-46% = 14
41-43% = 15
40% = 16
35-39% = 17
30-34% = 18
20-29% = 19
0-19% = 20

The formula used to calculate the 20 Point Scale grades should accomplish
the following:-
	If a student has “0” for their Final Percentage, they should automatically
receive an “X” in the 20 Point Scale column (use an IF function to accomplish
this).
	Otherwise, students’ grades are calculated using the scale in the table
above (use the VLOOKUP function to accomplish this).
	The formula must use cell references. You must not use numbers or text
inside any of the formulas or functions on the worksheet.
	Create additional tables in the worksheet to accomplish this.

Hint: Create a table for the 20-point scale in a separate area of the
worksheet and use the VLOOKUP function to convert the final percentage to the
correct number on the 20-point scale. You will need to set up the correct
breakpoints in this table in order for the VLOOKUP function to work.

Would love some help or a helpful link,
Thanks

Create a lookup table like this:

A    B
0     20
20   19
30   18
35   17
and so on...

then use VLOOKUP function

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Snake" <Snake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I'm trying to solve this problem I have and could use some help, I was
> wondering if its possible to use VLookup to check through a range of data
> in
> one cell, ex: 89-100 or 71-74. But I'm not sure if there is a way to make
> excel understand FROM 89 TO 100 0r 71 TO 74. (Yes I've just started
> learning
> excel on my own)
>
> This is the problem I'm trying to solve:
>
> To calculate the data in the 20 Point Scale column, enter a formula that
> converts each student's Final Percentage to a number grade on the 20 Point
> Scale as outlined below:-
>
> 80% and above = 1
> 75-79% = 2
> 71-74% = 3
> 70% = 4
> 67-69% = 5
> 64-66% = 6
> 61-63% = 7
> 60% = 8
> 57-59% = 9
> 54-56% = 10
> 51-53% = 11
> 50% = 12
> 47-49%  = 13
> 44-46% = 14
> 41-43% = 15
> 40% = 16
> 35-39% = 17
> 30-34% = 18
> 20-29% = 19
> 0-19% = 20
>
> The formula used to calculate the 20 Point Scale grades should accomplish
> the following:-
> ? If a student has "0" for their Final Percentage, they should
> automatically
> receive an "X" in the 20 Point Scale column (use an IF function to
> accomplish
> this).
> ? Otherwise, students' grades are calculated using the scale in the table
> above (use the VLOOKUP function to accomplish this).
> ? The formula must use cell references. You must not use numbers or text
> inside any of the formulas or functions on the worksheet.
> ? Create additional tables in the worksheet to accomplish this.
>
> Hint: Create a table for the 20-point scale in a separate area of the
> worksheet and use the VLOOKUP function to convert the final percentage to
> the
> correct number on the 20-point scale. You will need to set up the correct
> breakpoints in this table in order for the VLOOKUP function to work.
>
> Would love some help or a helpful link,
> Thanks

Thanks folks problem solved, really appreciated the help.

I'm posting a 2 more problems i got would really appreciate ur help

Thanks very much

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Add times, convert to number not time of day?
Okay, this should be pretty simple. 17:24:00 + 00:24:00 = 7 5:00 PM + 9:30 PM = 4.5 That's what i'm trying to achieve. A start time, a finish time, and the time it took between them. Not a clock time of 5pm + 9pm = 2am How can this be done? thanks, Benjamin i forgot, i might want to add this in. I did this: a1 - 9:30 a2 - 10:00 a3 = a2-a1 the result is .02 ??? =MOD(B1-A1,1) format as hh:mm or [h]:mm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "spezticle" <spezticle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7093FF53-BA3B-4003-B4D3-65941455C6FB@microsoft.com... >...

using forms

Possible incorrect number of sent emails reporting
Hi, I have a strange issue - 'possibly'. I have a 2 week report from a client's SBS 2003 Exchange server, and I see a spike in the number of sent emails from a particular user - over 800 sent over a 2 week period. Since that time, we have turned on SMTP logging and upon reviewing a recent 5 day report from that log, I only count around 75 emails sent from the same user over those 5 days. My client wants to know why those 800+ emails are showing from the Exchange server performance report, and if that report is incorrect. The trends in the outgoing SMTP logging for that server ...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

High number of page faults per second, but has enough memory?
Hi, I'm having a problem with an application, it easily has enough physical RAM but it's generating a very large number of page faults (2000 per second). Does anyone know why this might be? ...

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Average of Numbers in Top 5
How do I tell excel to look at only the top x numbers in a list of values? For example, if I have 100 scores and I want Excel to calculate the average of the top 10 scores, how do I do that? Thanks One way =AVERAGE(LARGE($A$1:$A$100,ROW(INDIRECT("1:10")))) entered with ctrl + shift & enter regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jake" wrote: > How do I tell excel to look at only the top x numbers in a list of values? > For example, if I have 100 scores and I want Excel to calculate the average > of the top 10 scores, how do I do that? > > Thanks =AVERAGE(LA...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

how to insert both page numbers and footers in the same document
Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I insert first You need to put the page number _in_ the footer (or header). What steps are you performing? Which version of Word? On Jan 19, 5:54=A0am, Sheila <She...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same > document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I > insert first I'm guessing this is Word 2007 and you are using the Build...

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...

Allow temporarily use of right click

help with cell referencing in named ranges
I have a named range covering about 30 columns of data. I'd like to lookup within the named range based on values in the 1st column, and a specific date which is the label on top of each of the other 29 columns. I have typed in a new column number as necessary, but I'd like to automate the column number by looking at a separate cell which gives the date. Ex: Dates across the top of the named range are 1/1/90, 1/1/91, etc thru 1/1/2003(in sheet1). Lets say I have a cell in sheet2(d1)that has the date 1/1/2003. In that same sheet starting in cell a1 I have a value which ...

How to use interfaces