How to MATCH value up a column

I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA!

Hi
I don't know what you are looking for, but see:
MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0)
or
VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
--
Please click "yes" if this post helped you!

Greatly appreciated

Eva

"DevourU" wrote:

> I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA!
Thankx for the reply. Here is my
formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))).
 I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4,
display next column B4.

Clear as mud? :)

-JS

"Eva" wrote:

> Hi
> I don't know what you are looking for, but see:
> MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0)
> or
> VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
> --
> Please click "yes" if this post helped you!
>
> Greatly appreciated
>
> Eva
>

> "DevourU" wrote:
>
> > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA!
Ignore "display next column B4". That's something else. Sorry 'bout that.

"DevourU" wrote:

> Thankx for the reply. Here is my
> formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))).
>  I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4,
> display next column B4.
>
> Clear as mud? :)
>
> -JS
>
> "Eva" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I don't know what you are looking for, but see:
> > MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0)
> > or
> > VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
> > --
> > Please click "yes" if this post helped you!
> >
> > Greatly appreciated
> >
> > Eva
> >

> > "DevourU" wrote:
> >
> > > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA!

Matching function or no match
I am using this formula to compare 2 list to see which numbers are not included in both column A and Col C. The formula I am using below pulls out the ones that i do have a match . Is there another function that I could use that would only pull out the ones that there is not a match? =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),"",A1) Thanks Uh =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),A1,"") -- HTH Bob "Donna" <donna@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:BE688A2B-3D42-45A0-AA3F-B65034C685E1@microsoft.com... > > I am using this for...

Client E-Mail and Web E-Mail not matching
I've got a few complaints from about 4 users where e-mail they see in their Outlook Client is not showing up in their Outlook Web Client when they check their e-mail from a remote location. We're using Exchange 2003 with SP2 installed and all the users have Office Outlook 2003 with SP1 Installed also. This seems to only have been a problem since we upgraded to Exchange SP2 two weeks ago. (Although I can't confirm it, but I wasn't told of any problems before th upgrade.) We had to upgrade to SP2 because of the 16 Gig limit so rollback is not an option. Best as I can t...

Matching cells #3
Here's my spreadsheet: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 6 4 5 10 5 8 11 6 9 7 10 8 9 10 11 12 13 How do I get the matching numbers on the same rows, like: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 8 8 9 9 10 10 10 11 11 12 13 13 I would just re-create the columns. 1. Copy column A into D. 2. In E1 put: =IF(COUNTIF(B:B,$A1),$A1,"") 3. Copy it over to F1 and then down as far as needed. 4. Select columns D thru F, copy them, and go to Edit > Paste Special > Value. Press OK. 5. Delete column A thru C. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA &g...

column charts on two axis
I am trying to show a column chart on 2 axis. I have chosen the combination line and column chart to get the 2 axis but when I change the line to a second column it puts the columns over the top of the first axis columns. How do I get them to be side by side? Have a look at: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3800842-2343-4319-8496-4D8CAC0DABFF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to show a column chart on 2 axi...

Change default search to Value, not formula?
Every time I start a word search, the default searches for fomulas instead of value. So everytime I have to open up the option button and change it to value instead of formula. How do I change that default setting? lbbss Saved from a previous post: Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the first search in that session. You can use that to your advantage. You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder. Have a macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you like). Then closes and gets out of the way. ...

Conditional format for unique values
Hello, I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value. The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please help! And thanks!! Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less. So you can end up with a max of ...

Sum of every nth cell in a column
I am trying to figure out the formula for adding the nth cell in a given column. I am using the formula below to add every 4th cell but it is just one that I found on line. Can someone explain to me the components of this formula so I can adapt it? =SUM((C2:C213) * (MOD( ROW( C2:C213)+1, 4)=0)) That is an array formula so it must be committed with Shift + Ctrl + <Enter>. here is how it works... Moving down through cells C2:C213 it looks at each 2 things. The value of the cell and the row that cell is on. If the row that cell is on is +1 is evenly divisible by 1 then ...

Multiply all values by 10
Is there a way to multiply all values in my spreadsheet by 10? If so, how? Type the 10 in some random cell and copy. Select your target cells and Edit > Paste Special, and select the Multiply radio button. "RTimberlake" wrote: > Is there a way to multiply all values in my spreadsheet by 10? If so, how? First, make a copy of the workbook in case you make a typo or something, then put 10 in an empty cell, copy it, then select all values needed and do edit>paste special and select multiply -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "RTimberlake" ...

Lookup Formula: Return 1st match, then 2nd match, then 3rd match
I have a spreadsheet that looks like the following. Tab 1. Col A=Name. Col B = Task. A B Bob Reconcile Cash Tim Do Sales Report Bob Create presentation Tim Prepare financial statements Bob Hire staff person Now on tab two, I want to create another list that pulls all the tasks together by person. For example, Tab 2 would look like this: Bob Reconcile Cash Bob Create presentation Bob Hire staff person Tim Do Sales Report Tim Prepare financial statement. I realize I can just sor...

Index Match Functions
Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? ...

Not matching transactions
I have it set to not automatically do anything. I've tried resetting the account quite a few times with the help of technicians, but it's too long and involved, and I'm tired of rebalancing the account every time. I have 3 accounts, 1 works without passport and does fine. One of the others I can manually download from the web site, and have no problems doing it like so and decided this is the best way, prior tries it wouldn't work with passport. But the other still insists they are new transactions, and I can't download from their site directly. They only allow...

data in row didnt match import type 12-30-05
while importing almost 800 accounts , i got the following error for majority of accounts 'Data in row did not match the import type' what is the solution? How can i match it? whats is the way of comparision? It looks like a data problem. You need to check if all dates are correct (and filled), if numbers are numbers (not letters), etc... Regards, -- Erik van Hoof CWR Mobility Check our weblog at: http://www.cwrmobility.com/weblog "Aam" <Aam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C51E8ED0-443D-4B35-B436-0A9EDB09B419@microsoft.com... > while impo...

Change rows to columns for similar records
Hi - am trying to change rows to columns for similar records. How do I do that? e.g. Staff A Cellular No. XXXXX Staff A Office No. XXXX Staff B Cellular No. XXXXX Staff B Office No. XXXXX Wld like for it be in the following row Staff Cellular No Office No A XXXXX XXXXX B XXXXX XXXXXX Do advise. Thanks. one way would be Would be to set up your "heading" as such Cell Phone Staff A 1 2 Staff B 3 4 Then assuming that Staff A is in B8 Staff B is in B9 Cell is in C7 Phone is in D7 In cell c8 enter ...

if value is greater than # * by 20% if less * by 40
if price is higher than 30 dollars markup by 20% if less than 30$ markup by 40% Try this: For A1: (a price) The marked up price B1: =A1*IF(A1>30,1.2,1.4) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "sypher" wrote: > if price is higher than 30 dollars markup by 20% if less than 30$ markup by 40% ...

Manually matching transactions
Hi, I'm new to Money 2007 so maybe this is an easy question but I don't find an answer after searching help and recent posts. I have setup a checking account and a bill for Tuition. My transactions are automatically downloaded to my checking account. One of these transactions was my Tuition payment, but the bill still shows as being past due. Can't I simply mark that transaction as being a Tuition payment somehow? I'm sure I could record payment from the bill with the same info as that transaction has then delete the downloaded transaction that wasn't associated ...

formula for a column #2
I'm working on a daily worksheet where all the values for a column will be the same ex. L2/C2, L3/C3, L4/C4 How do I set it up? Assuming the column you want to compute the values is in say, col M Put in M2: =IF(C2=0,"",L2/C2) and press ENTER Point the cursor to the bottom right corner of M2 (cursor will turn into a "black cross") Drag to fill as far down as required .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "msdobe" <msdobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529B3703-9D9A-4560-80D...

This forum does have value!
As year end approaches and I am considering upgrading to Money 2005, I found the message traffic extremely valuable. After this summers fiasco with the update to MSN Money locking us out of our local data file, I thought, or was hoping M$ would make an extra effort to make sure that Money 2005 was a significant improvement and without the assorted problems that I have found posted here. Some still unresolved. I have made my decision and I do not care how much work it is going to take me, bt I am going back to Quicken after giving Money a two year trial. This program is just not ready f...

Column heading differences
The menu column headings on my spreadsheets today are numbers instead of letters! I want the letters back! I like the differentiation between rows (numbers) and columns (letters). Help?? I received and opened a virus-free spreadsheet from a co-worker. Her spreadsheet had numbers for the columns -- could that have made my default switch? How do I switch it back? <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, And *UNCHECK* "R1C1 Reference Style". -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benef...

How does MATCH handle a Non-Match?
I would like a steer on how the MATCH Worksheetfunction behaves if it doesn't find an exact match of values in the array it is searching. I am looking through a series of Dates and instead of picking the nearest one - which I need and seems most obvious - it seems to pick the previous one. I.E. - Searching for 14 Oct 2005 In a list which contains (among others) 15 Sep 2005 16 Oct 2005 And it picks the 15 Sep row! PS. Cell values are actually 14/10/2005 but formatted as above. In Excel's Help for the MATCH function, it describes how the values are returned. Chris wrote: > I w...

Scatter chart without numerical values
For some time now, when I create a scatter chart from tabulated (numerical) data, the chart does not display the x/y values, but the serquence numbers instead. This is similar to a bar chart, but should'nt happen with a scatter chart. The scatter charts have worked ok in the past. I'm using Excel 2000 in a company office environment where I have little control over the Excel installation/set-up. -- Regards Fred Are you really making an XY chart? If you make a Line chart with two numeric columns AND the first row have labels, Excel thinks both columns are y-data and uses 1,2,3...

Index, Match, Min and Max question
I'm trying to retrieve a date (in column A) that corresponds with a Min and Max amount (in columns B:D). Basically I need to know when my amounts hit their Highs and Lows. Can someone help me with this please? Thanks, Maria Dates in column A; values in B Then =INDEX(A1:A9,MATCH(MAX(B1:B9),B1:B9,0)) Returns the date corresponding the max value in B Is this what was needed? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email <mgriffiths@klmtel.net> wrote in message news:1194464476.732636.234500@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... >...

How to create a column styled blog in Word
I want to use word to create content for a blog that looks like a magazine with 2 columns - how would I create a column blog ...

Convert data from rows to columns
I have a range of information on a spreadsheet as follows: A B 1 Name: Tom Smith Job Title: Sales Organisation: Made up Telephone: 1111 111 111 Email: tom.smith@madeup.co.uk Subject: Not much I have another 300+ entries of data (of 8 rows exactly as above) totalling 2629 rows. the example above is how it appears on my spreadsheet i.e. headings and names in the same cell (Name: Tom Smith) and sometimes seperate cells (Email: / tom.smith@madeup.co.uk) I need to create 6 columns for Name/Job title/Organisation/Telephone/Email/Subject and then move the data into the relevant columns....

How to get rid of #Value when multiplying
I am very new to Excel and I am trying to build an invoice sheet for my employer. Here is the scenario =F21*G21 But when I leave f21 and g21 blank I get #VALUE I need it to just be blank so I have a blank invoice. I also have =G37*9 if G37 is blank I get #VALUE Also my subtotal =SUM(H20:H44) if any field is blank i get #VALUE PLEASE HELP!! Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice REPAIRING / REINSTALLING ASP.NET http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/00a19e81-5b5a-4d96-8717-9f4b623c162f/repairing--reinstalling.aspx I assume you have a...

Putting formula into column from macro?
How do I load a formula into a column from a macro? I tried: ActiveSheet.Cells(6, 6) = "=SUM(H:H)" But it doesn't work..... Also, is there an object that returns the number of rows in a sheet? So I can loop until I reach that number? Suggestion...Please! Samuel, ActiveSheet.Cells(6, 6).Formula = "=SUM(H:H)" Rows.Count will return the number of rows in the sheet, but it is likely that you really mean the number of used rows. Sub Test() Dim i As Long For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, 4).End(xlUp).Row Cells(i, 3).Value = "Filled in by the macro" Next i End Su...