How to count merged cells

Can someone help me in developing a formula that will:
1.  Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 2 cells
AND contain both text and numbers?
2.  Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 3 cells
AND contain both text and numbers?
3.  Council how may merged cells in a column that are blank.

If you look in the archives of this group you will see countless examples of
reasons not to use merged cells.
To concatenate cells is fine, to merge is asking for trouble.
--
David Biddulph

"Excel Ella" <ExcelElla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone help me in developing a formula that will:
> 1.  Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 2 cells
> AND contain both text and numbers?
> 2.  Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 3 cells
> AND contain both text and numbers?
> 3.  Council how may merged cells in a column that are blank.

0
David
4/9/2010 4:01:53 PM
The formulas just to count cells with either text or numbers (or text AND
numbers) is bad enough, but I don't even know of a worksheet function that
can tell you:
1) if a cell is merged or not
2) how many cells are merged to make the one troublemaker

My advice is to go back and take the time to unmerge the cells and use
"center across selection" for the horizontal alignment of them across however
many columns are required.  Merging of cells that will be used in
calculations or referenced in VB code = BAD.

"Excel Ella" wrote:

> Can someone help me in developing a formula that will:
> 1.  Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 2 cells
> AND contain both text and numbers?
> 2.  Count how many merged cells in a column that are created from 3 cells
> AND contain both text and numbers?
> 3.  Council how may merged cells in a column that are blank.

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

Count

Mail merge.
Under mail merge the option "Insert Field" is unavailable, and Under "Open Data Source" the option of choosing a publisher address list, or an existing list, is also not available. Hi Roy (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Under mail merge the option "Insert Field" is unavailable, || and Under "Open Data Source" the option of choosing a || publisher address list, or an existing list, is also not || available. Which version of Publisher and which version of Windows. Also, is this starting from a blank...

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Line count

Counting sales

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

Merge & mail-Problem Inserting full address?
Hello, I'm going crazy with this problem. I'm wanting to print addresses directing on my customer mailing, using no labels. I've successfully added my data source file but when I go to add the Address Block or Address Fields I can't get past having only one Field show. (like First Name) Where it says "Point to field that you want to insert. When the drop down arrows appears, click the arrow, & then Click Insert Text or Insert as Picture". Well I'm not able to find any other of my address fields 'drop down' to add. Even in the Insert Addre...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Is it possible to plot discontiguous cells?
Hi, I posted this yesterday in Miscellaneous, but thought it would be a good idea to ask here, too. I have a column which returns data from other columns based on a set of formulas. The result in each cell can be either a number (to plot in a line chart) or a blank and/or "-" sign like so: 5 - - 3 - - - 8 I would like to be able to chart only the numbers which result in this column. The dashes and numbers will not always position in the same manner as the calculations are altered by user input (therefore I cannot merely return the next number a fixed rows down into another colum...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Changed Cell Address
I am using the Sub shown below. Question: How do I determine the address of the changed cell? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim WatchRange As Range Dim IntersectRange As Range Set WatchRange = Range("E1:E31") Set IntersectRange = Intersect(Target, WatchRange) If IntersectRange Is Nothing Then 'MsgBox "Changes occured outside of range" Else 'MsgBox "You modified the selected range of cells" Application.Run "Test.xls!Time_Stamp" End If End Sub Hi Richard maybe target.address Cheers JulieD "Richard"...

select a range by cell names; vba
I'm trying to select X rows for a sort. The first and last rows have a defined name, RSTART and RLAST. They look like this in the Define Name dialog: ='MySheet'!$15:$15 .... How do you select the rows using these names. Here's the macro output of my best shot. I can't figure out how to incorporate the second name. Thank you. Sub trythis() Application.Goto Reference:="RSTART" Rows("15:59").Select '<---- Held down shift key and selected RLAST in cell address combo Range("I15").Activate ' what is ...

data validation
I have used MS Excell 97 and would like to define the validation rul over the celles in one column, so that text(or number) value entered i the every next cell to be unique in relation to the all previou completed celles. If somebody knows the decision of the problem -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Debra Dalgleish's page at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal07.html (Prevent Duplicates) -- Rgds Max xl 97 -- Please respond, in newsgroup xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com --- "doynovam >" <<doynovam.14at0j@excelforum-nospam.com> wr...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...

Merging of rows.
I have a excel sheet in which there is data in only one column. The data is spread in 2 or 3 rows and after that there is blank row. The data spread in these row is related to one row. I want to bring this spread data in one row. Blank row can be as it is between ro useful data rows. Maybe a macro would do it: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim CurWks As Worksheet Dim NewWks As Worksheet Dim DestCell As Range Dim BigArea As Range Dim SmallArea As Range Set CurWks = Worksheets("Sheet1") Set NewWks = Worksheets.Add Set DestCell ...