Help requested for nested conditional formulas referencing other c

Hello--i can better explain the problem with an example:

	24h	1wk	change
Person A	1	0	-1
Person B	0	1	1
Person C	0	0	0
Person D	0.25	0.25	0
Person E	0.5
Person F	1	0.5	-0.5
Person G	0	0.75	0.75

What I am trying to do is make three equations:
1 to calculate the average of the values in the 24h column, IF the value is
NOT equal to zero, which I have accomplished with the array formula:
{=AVERAGE(IF(B2:B8>0, B2:B8, ""))}

here's where things get difficult--now, I want to find the average of the
values in the 1wk column, only if either the values in the 24h OR 1 wk column
are not zero, so the value, in this case, would be=0.5 (from averaging Person
A, B, D, F, and G's 1 wk values). I tried with the following formula:

{=AVERAGE(IF(OR(B2:B8>0, C2:C8>0), C2:C8, ""))}, but it returns 0.4167
(using the same function, but with countif instead of average, it returns 6
instead of returning 5, so it's adding an extra person's value), so i need
help in retifying this error.

Also, even more difficult:
Finally, i'd like to find the average of the amount of change, ONLY IF
either the 24h or the 1 wk values are not zero, so, in this case, the value
should equal 0.05 (the average change of person A, B, D, F, and G), however,
with the formula:

{=AVERAGE(IF(OR(B2:B8>0, C2:C8>0), D2:D8, ""))}, i get 0.04167 (again, the
count function gives me 6 instead of 5).  I also tried it with the formula:

{=AVERAGE(IF(OR(OFFSET(D2:D8, 0,-2)>0, OFFSET(D2:D8, 0, -1)>0), D2:D8,
""))}, to the same avail.

Basically, how do i tell it to ONLY COUNT/AVERAGE a value in column D
(change) if either the 24h column (B) or the 1wk column (C) is not zero (will
never be negative, which is why I don't have <>0 at the end. I tried it with
the not(X=0) function as well, to no avail)?

When I trace the function, all of the true/false variables are
correct--however, I believe it is actually computing an overall true/false
for the entire "if" and then running the function to calculate the average
for every variable in the respective column (e.g., D2:8) instead of
calculating the average for the cell where the two preceding fit my criteria
(e.g., D2,D3,D5,D7,D8).  I basically want it to test the if for two cells in
a row (B2, C2), and, if true, then include D2 in the calculation for the
average of column D, when there is a value other than zero for the preceding
columns (which is why I tried the OFFSET function, but I still got the same
end result).

Also, it does not make a different if I change the order of functions in
terms fo the end results I obtain:
=IF(OR(x,y),  AVERAGE(z), "") gives me the same value as
=AVERAGE(IF(OR(x,y), z, "")

Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I am about to lose my mind (keep in mind,
i'm actually working with about 1000 rows on my spreadsheet, so it's not
something I can really do by hand, like in this example of only 7 rows)

You cannot use Boolean functions (AND, OR, NOT) within an array formula
So use =AVERAGE(IF((B2:B8>0)*( C2:C8>0), C2:C8, ""))  needs to be array
entered
The multiplication is equivalent to Add (addition would emulate OR)

This non-array formula also works
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B8>0),--(C2:C8>0),C2:C8)/SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B8>0),--(C2:C8>0))
as does this non-array formula in XL 2007
=AVERAGEIFS(C2:C8,B2:B8,">0",C2:C8,">0")

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bermie" <Bermie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> in
> a row (B2, C2), and, if true, then include D2 in the calculation for the
> average of column D, when there is a value other than zero for the
> preceding
> columns (which is why I tried the OFFSET function, but I still got the
> same
> end result).
>
> Also, it does not make a different if I change the order of functions in
> terms fo the end results I obtain:
> =IF(OR(x,y),  AVERAGE(z), "") gives me the same value as
> =AVERAGE(IF(OR(x,y), z, "")
>
> Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I am about to lose my mind (keep in
> mind,
> i'm actually working with about 1000 rows on my spreadsheet, so it's not
> something I can really do by hand, like in this example of only 7 rows)

0
Bernard
3/9/2010 4:39:15 PM
And for part 2, this array formula (watch the parentheses !!)
=SUM(D2:D8)/(SUM(IF((B2:B8<>0)+(C2:C8<>0),1,0))-COUNTIF(C2:C8,""))
best wishes
Bernard
--
> [...]

> in
> a row (B2, C2), and, if true, then include D2 in the calculation for the
> average of column D, when there is a value other than zero for the
> preceding
> columns (which is why I tried the OFFSET function, but I still got the
> same
> end result).
>
> Also, it does not make a different if I change the order of functions in
> terms fo the end results I obtain:
> =IF(OR(x,y),  AVERAGE(z), "") gives me the same value as
> =AVERAGE(IF(OR(x,y), z, "")
>
> Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I am about to lose my mind (keep in
> mind,
> i'm actually working with about 1000 rows on my spreadsheet, so it's not
> something I can really do by hand, like in this example of only 7 rows)

3/9/2010 5:03:37 PM
Hi Bernard,

thanks for your suggestions.  I've halfway reached my goal now--let me
explain:

The =AVERAGE(IF((B2:B8>0)+( C2:C8>0), D2:D8, ""))  worked for the fourth
(change) column and correctly returned the average and count (when changing
the "average" function to "count"), after I used the + (OR) instead of *
(which served as the AND boolean and only returned values for the two
instances where both 24h and 1 wk are not 0).  However, I am still getting a
value of 6 (when I should be getting 5) for the middle column of data
(C2:C8).  When I evaluated the formula, it is because it is assigning the
blank cell (C6) a value of 0, so both the count and average functions are
then off (it returns 6 and 0.42 instead of the correct 5 and 0.5)

Although you can't see it, I have the change column (D) calculating as :
=IF(C2="",  "", C2-B2) (and so on), so it automatically recognizes it as
blank, which is maybe why the equation works for this column, but not the
previous.
For column C (1wk), I do not have any code inserted (as the values for
column B (24h) and C (1wk) are manually entered as we receive them, or left
blank if unavailable).  For some reason, during evaluation, it is
counting/averaging the blank cells as 0 (I though "count" and "average" were
not supposed to do this???)

Is there anyway to fix this?

(From your second response, I can't really use the code "manually" deriving
averages (such as sums/counts), because I also change code as needed for max,
min, percentiles, st dev and st errors).  Also, the code I'm using has to
work in both excel 2003 and 2007, as worksheets are shared at work and not
all computers have the same version installed, so i'm reluctant to enter a
2007 code.

Thanks again and in advance for any additional suggestions!

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> [...]
> > in
> > a row (B2, C2), and, if true, then include D2 in the calculation for the
> > average of column D, when there is a value other than zero for the
> > preceding
> > columns (which is why I tried the OFFSET function, but I still got the
> > same
> > end result).
> >
> > Also, it does not make a different if I change the order of functions in
> > terms fo the end results I obtain:
> > =IF(OR(x,y),  AVERAGE(z), "") gives me the same value as
> > =AVERAGE(IF(OR(x,y), z, "")
> >
> > Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I am about to lose my mind (keep in
> > mind,
> > i'm actually working with about 1000 rows on my spreadsheet, so it's not
> > something I can really do by hand, like in this example of only 7 rows)

sumifs help

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Meeting request's problem
When I sent a meeting request to a Group. Then, this meeting request might never marked in calendar of recipients if the recipients haven't open this request. Once the recipient open this meeting request, then it will marked in his calendar. I found that only I send it to a group, then this problem will be occur. Is't a bug? ...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

C#.net windows application
Since I am new to c#.net 2008 but I have worked a little with visual basic.net 2005, I have the following questions I would like to ask: 1. When I am looking at a .sln file that I will be maintaining a work, I can see there are lots of static void Main() methods in a file called program.cs throughout the solution in separate folderts. Can you tell me the purpose of this kind of code? Does this instantiate an object, is this a class libary member? 2. When running the C#.net 2008 professional version windows application, how do I know which 'main' method is being called? ...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...

Help -- Help -- Help
Hi, I am having a lot of trouble with Outlook. I understand the other Microsoft programs, but for some reason I can't get Outlook. Does anyone know of any books that really breakdown the concepts of Outlook? Thank you. Donald Donald8044 wrote: > Hi, > > I am having a lot of trouble with Outlook. > > I understand the other Microsoft programs, but for some reason I > can't get Outlook. > > Does anyone know of any books that really breakdown the concepts of > Outlook? > > Thank you. > > Donald Umm what exactly do you mean - "but for some...