HELP! having trouble matching info with excel, HELP!

Hi, I'm required to present some info at my work, using two excel files. This
is the task:

File 1, has ID numbers in column A, and column B is blank.

File 2, has ID numbers in column C and column D has the date the person
joined the company

File 1 es a select grop of people (about 2500), whereas File 2 is the
general database (about 30thou)

They're asking me to match the data, in order to end up with the
coresponding date they joined the company in column B on File 1 (obtained
from column D on file 2), how to do it? taking in account that File 1 is
outdated and some people might not be in file 2.

I would really appreciate any help you might give me.

Gloria

[File2.xls]Sheet1!
     C        D
1  IDnum  DateJoined
2  ID001    2/3/1991
3  ID002    3/4/1992
4  ID004    4/5/1993
5  ID005    5/6/1994
6  ID006    6/7/1995
7  -----    --------

[File1.xls]Sheet1!
     A       B
1  IDnum  DateJoined
2  ID006    6/7/1995
3  ID004    4/5/1993
4  ID001    2/3/1991
5  ID005    5/6/1994
6  ID003        #N/A
7  ID002    3/4/1992
8  -----   --------

[File1.xls]Sheet1!B2: =VLOOKUP(A2,[File2.xls]Sheet1!C:D,2,FALSE)

--
Mike

"gloriamar" <gloriamar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11587AFC-0FEC-4709-9609-DA01D64B3D5A@microsoft.com...

0
Mike

sumifs help

Excel sorting #3
Is there a way to sort data by absolute value? I have a list of numbers, both negative and positive and I would like the list to have the highest positive and negative numbers at the top (e.g. -10,000 and +10,000 and the lowest numbers to be at the bottom(e.g -1 & 1). ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Blue, In an empty column, place the formula =ABS(A1) then fill down as far as you need to go. Then sort on this column. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson M...

Help !

Excel 2007 Tables
Hi, I have turned a range of data into a Table, using the new "Insert Table" tool in Excel 2007. Great new feature!! The problem is, when I insert a new row (by tabbing from the last cell in the last row), the formatting for the cell in the first column does not get applied. All of the rest of the cells in that row maintain the formatting from the row above. All of the cells in the first column above the new row have the same formatting - there is no mixing (bold and italics, for example). Any suggestions on why this would be happening? Thanks! Hi Tammy I love to see yo...

Help with this thing

How do I resize a complex Excel template?
I bought a template to make a calendar, the template is wonderful but doesn't fill a full 8.5X11 sheet of paper, I've tried adjusting the margins, fiddling with the print at %, and everything else I can think of. Is there anyway to enlarge the calendar without resizing every cell? ...

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Excel Macro to delete rows
Hello, I have an excel Sheet in which I have a blank row below the cell which contains "<<<Mem>>>". I vave some random data and multiple such cells. Can I get some help with the excel macros for the same? Harsh Assuming "Mem" is in column E: Sub DeleteRowBelowMem() For i=cells(rows.count,5).end(xlup).row to 1 step -1 if cells(i,5).value="Mem" then rows(i+1).Delete Next End Sub Bob Umlas Excel MVP HTH "Harsh" <cooldreamz83@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1159983014.172239.234480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... ...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Excel charts and Word docs
In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? In Ms Word go to Insert - Object - Create from File and select the xls file that contains your table. "Frustrated" wrote: > In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? Copy the range in Excel, switch to Word, and paste. Word puts the Excel data into a Word table. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90F...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Excel Needs to Close
Frequently, when turning on my computer, I will get the message something like "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." I may not have used Excel for days and it definitely was not open when the computer was turned off. Any clues? Do I have a problem? Ed, Look for an Excel file, or Excel itself, in your Startup folder (Start - All programs). Scan for viruses. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's already top-posted, the thr...

trouble receiving mail
hi oh computer smart ones!! am hoping anyone can help with my problem - i have 53 unread messages because when i hit 'send and receive' i get the first 13 then it stops completely and wont give me any more messages....i get this error msg: Message number 13 could not be retrieved. Account: 'mail.three.com.au', Server: 'mail.three.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: 'No virus found in this incoming message.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD i have tried turning off firewalls, uninstalling...

Sync troubles with shared notebook
We are attempting to setup a shared notebook on a network share that a number of us have full access to. I have Windows 7 64bit, Office 2007 64bit My co-workers have Windows XP 32 bit, Office 2007 32 bit I have setup the notebook on the network share (K:) but when one of my co-workers opens it it goes into syncing la la land. If she adds sections and pages, I can see them with no trouble. If I add anything to her stuff, she can't see them. If I add sections, she can see the section name but not any of the pages. The error she gets is "waiting to sync this sectio...

Macro Help

help me #2

Excel #67
Where in Microsoft can I download and Excel update called SR1 or SR2. I need this for a QuickBooks Payroll link. What version of Excel do you have? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c011c70-47d0-4306-9fa4-8e92d36332fe&displaylang=en or http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=85af7bfd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en the former 2000, the latter 2002 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "KJ" <blueeyes1484@hotmail.com> wrote...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated