Have the need to sort text code-values within same Excel cell

Got column with thousands of cells containg different codes, e.g., cell P357
--> {X, A, B2, T83, M19};  cell P425 --> {T83, A, X, M19, B2}, etc ...  Need
a way to sort these individual cells in a similar order so I can aggregate
the number of cells containing the same set of codes/values ...

I am somehow familiar with the basic Excel functionality but above situation
is really challenging me !

Thanks in advance ..

Say each of the cells in column A contains a list of 5 codes separated by
commas.

First copy column A into columns B, C, D, and E.

Next set and AutoFilter for each column:
column A "contains" X
column B "contains" A
column C "contains" B2
column D "contains" T83
column E "contains" M19

The autofilter will display all the rows that have the same contents,
regardless of the order the codes appear.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"A.X  M.D" wrote:

> Got column with thousands of cells containg different codes, e.g., cell P357
> --> {X, A, B2, T83, M19};  cell P425 --> {T83, A, X, M19, B2}, etc ...  Need
> a way to sort these individual cells in a similar order so I can aggregate
> the number of cells containing the same set of codes/values ...
>
> I am somehow familiar with the basic Excel functionality but above situation
> is really challenging me !
>
> Thanks in advance ..
Looks long but that’s' only because I have been pedantically detailed:

1) Let's place save and copy & paste all the entries to an empty worksheet
starting in A1

2) If the { are really part of the cell content -- as in  {X, A, B2, T83,
M19};  : use Edit | Find & Replace to replace these by nothing. Now you
have, for example,  X, A, B2, T83, M19

3) Select all of the data in column A, use Data | Text to Column with
Delimited by comma
Now you have the the data broken into separate cells
X	 A	 B2	 T83	 M19

4) Select all the data and use Data Sort; specify sort left to right: giving
 A	 B2	 M19	 T83	X

5) In F1 enter
EITHER: =A1&", "&B1&", "&C1&", "&D1&", "&E1 or
OR: ="{"&A1&", "&B1&", "&C1&", "&D1&", "&E1&"}"
Copy down the column by double clicking F1's fill handle

6) When you are satisfied all is correct you could Copy and Paste Special
with Values specified this range over top of the data in P of original
worksheet, or into F of the current worksheet for analysis.
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"A.X  M.D" <A.X  M.D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got column with thousands of cells containg different codes, e.g., cell
> P357
> --> {X, A, B2, T83, M19};  cell P425 --> {T83, A, X, M19, B2}, etc ...
> Need
> a way to sort these individual cells in a similar order so I can aggregate
> the number of cells containing the same set of codes/values ...
>
> I am somehow familiar with the basic Excel functionality but above
> situation
> is really challenging me !
>
> Thanks in advance ..

0
Bernard

How do I plot Excel data on a floorplan?
I'm trying to find a way to plot data from an Excel worksheet on a floorplan diagram. The data reflects room assignments for a hospital, so some data stays the same for days while other data changes on a twice a day basis. I want to enable someone to be able to enter the data on the worksheet and have excel output the names, etc in the proper room assignments on the floorplan automatically. The users could then print this floorplan to locate the assignments more easily. I can either scan a hardcopy of the floorplan, or I have access to Visio so I could also quickly construct a d...

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

Text Values #2
I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations. How do I sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an "X" entered? Assuming you're using column A, and each row is either the number of hours worked, or a V or a X, then use a helper column, B, and insert this in B1 and copy down.......change the A1's to A2's if you have a header in Row 1, and put this in B2. =IF(A1="V",8,IF(A1="X",4,A1)) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Brando" <carpenterchsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1113...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Graph
Hi, Here is the problem - There is a graph I have to create, based on the following information: I have projects names, and each project has the following data: 1. Estimated cost. 2. Actual cost. 3.Status, which can be one of 3: a. over with b. in progress c. per demand I need to put the data on a 3D column graph, in a way that each project will have 2 columns that compare estimated and actual cost, but the problem is I also need to put some kind of an attribute on every project which reflects its status. How do I do that? Thanks in advance, Chen. Chen - I'd suggest a 2D chart type in...

Excel need help

excel charts converted into pdf
Hello, I'm experiencing the following issue: I have a handful of charts in Excel that I inserted into Word and then converted the entire word document into PDF format using Acrobat Professional. Resulting PDF has black vertical bars in place of vertical text next to X-axis and title of the Y-axis. Converting charts into PDF directly from Excel does not produce this problem. However I must use Word doc. I have XP SP3,MS Office 2003 and Acrobat Professional 7.0. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks I've had this happen to me, too, on occasion. Not real often, fortunately. When I lo...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

text boxes filled with color
When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? Lavanya <Lavanya@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail > publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of > text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? There is no way to change it. This is the way Publisher works. Publisher is not designed for outputting small HTML code. --...

Excel 97 / 2000 Viewer
Is there a problem with installing this product when I already have the Excel V. 5.0 on my computer? No -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays <jbeiting@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message news:059c01c3c647$2c87c9a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Is there a problem with installing this product when I > already have the Excel V. 5.0 on my computer? ...

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

A full page of email text shrinks to one inch or less w/ new batte
I was answering emails and everyhting was fine. The batteries in my wireless mouse died. I replaced them and went back to answering emails. When I clicked the "forward" or "reply" button , a full page text in an email shrank to about one inch. Changing the font size did not correct the problem. HELP it's your zoom setting. Hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase. Depending on the mouse, you could have accidently pressed a mouse button and changed it when you changed the batteries. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.o...

Combo Box Text Alignment
Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a combo box other then the standard "Left-Right-Center" preset options ? Thanks - George What specifically are you looking for? Assuming you use a query as the RowSource, you've always got the option of concatenating spaces in front (or after) a field. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1366215-05A0-45BB-A27B-272A47458FC8@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a ...

Word/Excel: Freezing on Save
I have a client using Office 2001 on a B/W G3, OS 8.6, and every time she tries to save a new Word or Excel file, the system hangs. More specifically, it's not truly hanging -- the cursor moves but it's stuck showing the wrist watch. The system *does* hang when you try to force-quit the application. Short of wiping the entire hard drive and reinstalling everything, she has tried about everything else... Norton says the drive is OK. She's has uninstalled/reinstalled Office countless times. All to no avail. TIA for any help you can provide. Brian Hi System hangs are usually the...

Macro to sort a predefined list
I need to make a button on my excel sheet that will sort a pre-defined area (A2:K103) on my sheet the same way as selecting the area manually and then selecting sort. Can this be done and how? Record a macro while doing this, then attach it to a button from the forms toolbar -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) <rob_summers@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:G3jEc.9827$pw6.5954@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com... > I need to make a button on my excel sheet that will sort a pre-defined area > ...

Need help on this....thanks

Repeat Data from Cell Above
Hello All: I have a report that has been imported in to XL and am trying to wor with the data but have a pain staking task ahead. Example: Serial No TitleName Units OrderNo 35270 International Views 20 123 15 667 18 445 50 552 41155 RoloText 12 124 My goal is to have the TitleName repeat in the blank cells, as th values in the adj. cells belong to TitleName. TIA, Dheera -- Dheeraj_ -----------------------------------------------------------...

Catalog Merge fields come as Plain Text, but datasource is Rich Te
In creating a Publisher Catalog Merge template, I have an MS Access 2007 database, with a product decription field that is a Memo field, with Rich Text formatting. When I import the field into the Catalog Merge Template the field comes over as Plain Text. The formatting information shows a HTML Tags. Example : "Product Description" shows the quote marks as "Product Description" Any ideas? I can't see any format options in Publisher 2007 to allow me to keep the RTF format. I suggest you create a new publication from the catalog merge and save that result as a ...

Ranking
I previously revived a formula (Thanks Max) to Sort and Rank my Stores by the Strongest Store to the Lowest Store. It did exactly what it was supposed to do with my sample layout I made with just Four stores and scores. But when I added all 14 stores to the list (each store as a rank like 2.45 or 3.56 or 11.75) it will not sort them properly. I am using =IF(ISNA(RANK(Q7,Q7:Q20,1)),"",INDEX(O7:O20,RANK(Q7,Q7:Q20,1))) for the ranking system. It works when the stores Ranks are SINGLE digit numbers, but when they go into the tenths or hundredths the formula can't ...

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...