Formula Based on Multiple Sheets

I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may contain
different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
other sheet.

On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row 1
of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on sheet
1 and simply copy the value.
When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.

I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the way
down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.

I hope I have provided enough information.

Try this...

Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:

=INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
> sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
> contain
> different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
> In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
> other sheet.
>
> On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row
> 1
> of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
> sheet
> 1 and simply copy the value.
> When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
> down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
>
> I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
> to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
> way
> down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
>
> I hope I have provided enough information.

That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names and
the cell numbers.

On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'

B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'

Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3' and
so on.

I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering them
one formula per cell at a time.

"T. Valko" wrote:

> Try this...
>
> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
>
> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
>
> Copy down as needed.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
> > sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
> > contain
> > different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
> > In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
> > other sheet.
> >
> > On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row
> > 1
> > of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
> > sheet
> > 1 and simply copy the value.
> > When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
> > down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
> >
> > I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
> > to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
> > way
> > down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
> >
> > I hope I have provided enough information.
>

> .

>B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
>C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
>D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
>E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
>F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
>G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
>H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'

Ok, since there's no pattern to the cells being referenced then you'll have
to enter an individual formula for each of those:

B4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(B$4:B4)&"'!I2")
C4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(C$4:C4)&"'!Q14")
D4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(D$4:D4)&"'!Q16")
E4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(E$4:E4)&"'!Q7")
F4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(F$4:F4)&"'!Q21")
G4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(G$4:G4)&"'!Q22")
H4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(H$4:H4)&"'!Q23")

Then, select B4:H4 and copy down as needed.

--

> That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names
> and
> the cell numbers.
>
> On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'
>
> B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
> C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
> D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
> E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
> F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
> G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
> H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'
>
> Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
> that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3'
> and
> so on.
>
> I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering
> them
> one formula per cell at a time.
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Try this...
>>
>> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
>>
>> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
>>
>> Copy down as needed.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
>> > sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
>> > contain
>> > different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
>> > In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
>> > other sheet.
>> >
>> > On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in
>> > row
>> > 1
>> > of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
>> > sheet
>> > 1 and simply copy the value.
>> > When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that
>> > formula
>> > down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
>> >
>> > I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a
>> > way
>> > to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
>> > way
>> > down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
>> >
>> > I hope I have provided enough information.
>>

>> .

In B4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!I2")

In C4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!Q14")

Changing to  Q16, Q7 as you enter your formulas one at a time across to H4

When that is done, select B4:H4 and simply drag/copy down as far as you
need.

The "ROWS" function will change the sheet names to 2, 3, 4 etc. and the cell
references will rermain fixed.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:30:01 -0800, Neil M <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names and
>the cell numbers.
>
>On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'
>
>B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
>C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
>D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
>E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
>F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
>G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
>H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'
>
>Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
>that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3' and
>so on.
>
>I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering them
>one formula per cell at a time.
>
>"T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Try this...
>>
>> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
>>
>> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
>>
>> Copy down as needed.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
>> > sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
>> > contain
>> > different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
>> > In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
>> > other sheet.
>> >
>> > On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row
>> > 1
>> > of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
>> > sheet
>> > 1 and simply copy the value.
>> > When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
>> > down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
>> >
>> > I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
>> > to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
>> > way
>> > down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
>> >
>> > I hope I have provided enough information.
>>

>> .

0
Gord
12/12/2009 11:23:22 PM
In the words of Jeff Spikoli.....

AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

Thank you all so very much.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> In B4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!I2")
>
> In C4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!Q14")
>
> Changing to  Q16, Q7 as you enter your formulas one at a time across to H4
>
> When that is done, select B4:H4 and simply drag/copy down as far as you
> need.
>
> The "ROWS" function will change the sheet names to 2, 3, 4 etc. and the cell
> references will rermain fixed.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:30:01 -0800, Neil M <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names and
> >the cell numbers.
> >
> >On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'
> >
> >B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
> >C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
> >D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
> >E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
> >F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
> >G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
> >H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'
> >
> >Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
> >that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3' and
> >so on.
> >
> >I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering them
> >one formula per cell at a time.
> >
> >"T. Valko" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this...
> >>
> >> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
> >>
> >> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
> >>
> >> Copy down as needed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

help with formula please #2

How to run Visual Basic from Excel sheet #8
How do I run a Visual Basic routine from a normal Excel cell. I would like to do something like this: =IF(RunIt=TRUE, Run my Visual Basic routine, Do nothing) So if some calculations results in the variable "RunIt" is set equal to TRUE, the Visual Basic routine must run. Kristian ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Kristian, You can only run functions from a worksheet. Not subs. You can use a worksheet change event. Do a google search for w...

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Merging two tables based on a unique data field
I have two text files that I would like to merge into one based on a common data field. One has persons' names and addresses, the other has different information about each person. Both have a unique ID number that can be used to combine the data. What is the best way to bring them together? Using Excel? or Access? What process should I use to get the text data into the program? then to combine the data? I'd appreciate whatever help anyone can give. Thank you, Jeanne Import the data into two separate Access tables. Create a new query using both tables as the data source. Mak...

Weekday formula

Trendline of multiple series #2
Am I able to calculate the trend over multiple sheets to get on inclusive trend using the trend function, if so how do I do i -- geooi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- geooil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1650 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27890 How many data points? You cannot plot data that stretches over multiple sheets without somehow consolidating it: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html I'm not sure LINEST works with range...

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

Changing default from printing Entire Workbook to Active Sheets
In Excel 2007, is there a place to select the data to print? I have a user that when she goes to print a document, the 'print what' section of the print box defaults to 'entire workbook.' She wants it to default to 'active sheets.' Is there a setting in Excel or the Registry that I can edit? Thanks, John ...

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

I need help with multiple Fidelity accounts and Money 2006
Here is my situation: I have the following accounts at Fidelity: Under my login ID: Financial Institution is named "Fidelity Investments" for these accounts My Rollover IRA My Roth IRA Joint brokerage account Under my wife's login ID: Financial Institution is named "Fidelity Investments # 2" for these accounts Wife's Rollover IRA Wife's Roth IRA Joint brokerage account The Joint Brokerage account is the same, and shows up at the Fidelity web site when either of us logs into Fidelity. This setup is giving m...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

inserting multiple fonts in default return address

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...