Formatting does not follow when copying from one cell to another

I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding,
coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy
whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above.  Why doesn't the
formatting copy over too??

A formula returns a result, not any formatting.

Pete

On Apr 7, 9:55=A0pm, Banker <Ban...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding,
> coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy
> whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. =A0Why doesn't the
> formatting copy over too??

0
Pete_UK
4/7/2010 10:19:30 PM
"told to copy" means you have used a linking formula such as  =Sheet1!A1

Linking formulas do not bring over formatting............values only.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:55:01 -0700, Banker <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding,
>coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy
>whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above.  Why doesn't the
>formatting copy over too??

0
Gord
4/7/2010 10:39:38 PM
That is exactly what I am doing.  Are there any other options?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> "told to copy" means you have used a linking formula such as  =Sheet1!A1
>
> Linking formulas do not bring over formatting............values only.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:55:01 -0700, Banker <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding,
> >coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy
> >whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above.  Why doesn't the
> >formatting copy over too??
>
> .

Do you know of any other options/?

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> A formula returns a result, not any formatting.
>
> Pete
>
> On Apr 7, 9:55 pm, Banker <Ban...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding,
> > coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy
> > whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above.  Why doesn't the
> > formatting copy over too??
>
> .

Copy and Paste.
--
David Biddulph

"Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you know of any other options/?
>
> "Pete_UK" wrote:
>
>> A formula returns a result, not any formatting.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> On Apr 7, 9:55 pm, Banker <Ban...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> > I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding,
>> > coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to
>> > copy
>> > whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above.  Why doesn't the
>> > formatting copy over too??
>>
>> .

0
David
4/8/2010 10:10:56 PM
Thanks for the response.  I know the Manual function of Copy/Paste will work
but I am trying to automate the spreadsheet so there is less manual work with
repeating information.  I appreciate your time.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> Copy and Paste.
> --
> David Biddulph
>

> "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Do you know of any other options/?
> >
> > "Pete_UK" wrote:
> >
> >> A formula returns a result, not any formatting.
> >>
> >> Pete

> >> .
> >>

> .

I think you will have to go with VBA for your automation if you need the
formatting copied over along with the data.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:47:01 -0700, Banker <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the response.  I know the Manual function of Copy/Paste will work
>but I am trying to automate the spreadsheet so there is less manual work with
>repeating information.  I appreciate your time.
>
>"David Biddulph" wrote:
>
>> Copy and Paste.
>> --
>> David Biddulph
>>

>> "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Do you know of any other options/?

>> .

0
Gord

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

sending under one email adress
Hi a little example. I have 2 users Max and John. Now i want that both send email but in the sender line of the message should appear support@xyz.com. How can I realize that with Exchange 2000? Create your support mailbox and grant them access. Get them to use the From field in Outlook, and choose the support mailbox. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk "ltr" <ltr001@gmx.de> wrote in message news:e4rb11XtDHA.640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > a little example. I have 2 users Max and John. Now i wan...

Another workstation modifies outlook.pst
Recently it started happening that i am in outlook, and suddenly cannot do anything. I get the message "Unable to display the folder. The file ....outlook.pst could not be accessed because another workstation has modified it. Close and then restart all mail-enabled applications." But, this is totally incorrect; impossible. Nothing else it touching this file. This used to happen very rarely, but is now happening frequently and is a real hassle. Can anything be done about it? Does anybody know what the explanation for this behavior is? Thank you. Tom Is the PST file b...

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

Exchange 5.5
Hi We have an old NT box running exchange 5.5. I am trying to mov mailboxes to a new server running Windows 2000 with exchange 5.5. Bot servers are in the same site. I start the move as usual (hi-light mailbox, tools - move mailbox). enter the destination server (Windows 2000 server) and click ok. Th move mailbox progress box appears with the message "Opening th information store that belongs to username". The progress indicato moves from 0% to 1%m then stops. The mailbox I am moving is empty. have left the process to run for a couple of hours to no avail. When check ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

archiving more than one employee at a time
I have over 500 employees to archive and was shocked to see i had to do it one at a time, therefore making this feature unattainable for me. Please allow groups of inactive employees to be archived at once. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...