Finding values in different rows/columns

This should be simple, but I'm lost. To greatly simplify my sheets:
1
	11	12	13	14	15
	21	22	23	24	25
	31	32	33	34	35
	41	42	43	44	45
2
	11	12	13	14	15
	21	22	23	24	25
	31	32	33	34	35
	41	42	43	44	45
I want to do a VLOOKUP(1,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in D4, or
VLOOKUP(2,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in C9. In other words, find my
A cell reference and return the value in a different row/column from that.

Another question: When I move a cell (cell1) to another cell (cell2) a cell
(cell3) that references cell1 moves its reference from cell1 to cell2.  Is
there any way to anchor cell3's reference to cell1 without using the INDIRECT
function? INDIRECT does the job, but does not allow copying dynamically, i.e.
it retains the same cell's reference to the cell being copied to, maybe
because the quotations treat it as text?

It seems nobody really understood what you were trying to do.
If the 1 and the 2 are like table headers, it is going to be very hard to
get the answer
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"CasaJay" <CasaJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This should be simple, but I'm lost. To greatly simplify my sheets:
> 1
> 11 12 13 14 15
> 21 22 23 24 25
> 31 32 33 34 35
> 41 42 43 44 45
> 2
> 11 12 13 14 15
> 21 22 23 24 25
> 31 32 33 34 35
> 41 42 43 44 45
> I want to do a VLOOKUP(1,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in D4, or
> VLOOKUP(2,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in C9. In other words, find
> my
> A cell reference and return the value in a different row/column from that.
>
> Another question: When I move a cell (cell1) to another cell (cell2) a
> cell
> (cell3) that references cell1 moves its reference from cell1 to cell2.  Is
> there any way to anchor cell3's reference to cell1 without using the
> INDIRECT
> function? INDIRECT does the job, but does not allow copying dynamically,
> i.e.
> it retains the same cell's reference to the cell being copied to, maybe
> because the quotations treat it as text?

0
Bernard

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Table Row Height and Column Width
Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher 2003? For instance, I want all the rows to be .25 inches high or 16 points high -- can I set this? No... You could create ruler guides. Right-click a ruler guide, click format ruler guides. You then can adjust your table rows by snapping to the guides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Lori T" <Lori T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2631297F-839A-4699-B4F6-45601B771E1A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher > 2003...

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

How do I print 4 different postcards on one sheet in Publisher
Our company sends postcards to customers everytime their properties are advertised in the newspaper. There is usually 8 different properties advertised a day. The templet is the same everytime as far as the design of the card. What is different is the description on each and the picture. Currently we are having to print 4 of each card, each day. This works fine as long as there is not a change in the wording of the ad the next time it is ran or a price change. This is getting to be confusing, wasteful and causing mistakes. I have tried to read about mail merge but this doesn't...

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

copy to different worksheet
Here's my problem. In worksheet 1, I have summation formulas in a one row, at a4, b4, c4, d4 and e4. I want to put the results of the above sum formulas into a different worksheet and put them in one column, such as a1, a2, a3, a4 and a5. Can anyone help me?' Thanks Try this in A1 of Sheet2, and copy down: =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$4:$E$4,ROW()) -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "jskamm" <jskamm@discussions.microsof...

different figures on the detailed trial balances
Hello: When I print off a Detailed Trial Balance for the Notes Payable account for the year 2007, I receive a different ending balance from printing the same report with a date that includes all activity for the history of the account (in this case I used 1/1/2000). Do you know why the ending balances are different? A balance sheet account should be cumulative from period to period/year to year. Both are detailed trail balance reports, just with a different date range…one included only 2007 activity and the other included all activity since 2000. Thanks! childofthe1980s ...

retaining original column widths in excel
How do I retain original column widths when opening excel files sent to me. ...

unique value
Hi, I need to add a custom field, but I need this field to be unique (something similar to a primary key) bud I do not know how to do that. Thanks a lot. An example might be a Case number. You would add the field then add code to add one to the largest value found in the database. This will require code to implement ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AA3E00-686E-4B58-B8C4-52B83CB1E538@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to add a custom field, bu...

How do I find the out of office reply?

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

Updating the row source of a combo
Hello, I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How might I solve this problem. Thanks, Aine. On 28 May 2007 07:00:45 -0700, aine_canby@yahoo.com wrote...

Referencing the Seconday Y axis scale values in code
Does anyone know how to Reference the Seconday Y axis scale values in code? I am automating a spreadsheet that uses a chart and i need to adjust these values at run time. I'm using Visual Basic. Thanks! Hi Ken, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to coding but the following KB article may point you in the right direction? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213695 Cheers, Katherine "Ken Ramirez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093901c398be$4b49ecd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to Reference the S...