Finding the combination that appears more times

Hi everybody
i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns
A:E, each column showing one (1) item
I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically,
which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix

eg:
A   B    C   D   F
A   C    D   E   F
B   C    D   E   F
B   C    D   F   Z

in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times
the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows
and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination
would take forever...

is there a simpler, quicker way to do this??
i don´t know if concatenate, because the items can be on any column

Typho error, the winner would be (B, C, D, F)

"Alonso" wrote:

> Hi everybody
> i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns
> A:E, each column showing one (1) item
> I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically,
> which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix
>
> eg:
> A   B    C   D   F
> A   C    D   E   F
> B   C    D   E   F
> B   C    D   F   Z
>
> in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times
> the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows
> and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination
> would take forever...
>
> is there a simpler, quicker way to do this??
> i don´t know if concatenate, because the items can be on any column

Excel 2007 Tables
Most frequent combination.
http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/02_05_10.xlsx

0
Herbert
2/5/2010 8:42:26 PM
Thaks Herbert
seems interesting, let me try to understand it and get back to you

On 2/5/10 6:19 PM, Alonso wrote:
> Thaks Herbert
> seems interesting, let me try to understand it and get back to you
>
> "Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:
>
>> Excel 2007 Tables
>> Most frequent combination.
>> http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/02_05_10.xlsx

As a side note, if you want to look into it further, I would Rank each
subset.  If we assume there are 26 distinct items, a macro would first
adjust each list into integers (perhaps Asci code of the letters)

For example, your last example would be:
"BCDFZ"

{2, 3, 4, 6, 26}

Look at each of the 5 subsets...

{2, 3, 4, 6}
{2, 3, 4, 26}
{2, 3, 6, 26}
{2, 4, 6, 26}
{3, 4, 6, 26}

With 26 items the upper size is
  =Combin(26,4) = 14,950

The above five values would be:

{2302, 2322, 2363, 2594, 4365}

The number 2302 would show up the most. (I would use a Dictionary object)

To get the value of this number would be

? UKS(2302, 4, 26)

{2, 3, 4, 6}

Which when reversed would be "B C D F"

A macro for this is very fast.
Again, it might be something you might want to research.

Dana DeLouis
0
Dana
2/7/2010 3:54:18 AM
Hello,

I think it's a bit early to provide "solutions".

How many different items does Alonso really have and with how many can
his "mean boss" come up with in future? The supposed answer 26 seems
quite unlikely to me.

And is the number 4 for the favourite mix likely to be changed, again
maybe by his "mean boss"?

If the number of all possible combinations you may find that you
should start with frequency tables of
a) most frequently purchased single items
b) most frequent mix of 2
c) ... of 3
and so on, for n maybe only exploring the more likely mixes < (1),
(n-1) >

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
2/7/2010 9:32:50 AM
Actually, I'm open to any kind of possible "solutions"

As Bernd says, it likely that somewhere in the future I'll need to check the
top 2 mix, the top 3 mix and so on

right now I'm working with almost 60 items (and it's difficult to increase
this since 8-10 items doesn't sell very well)
I can easily turn each item into numbers with a vlookup

"Bernd P" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think it's a bit early to provide "solutions".
>
> How many different items does Alonso really have and with how many can
> his "mean boss" come up with in future? The supposed answer 26 seems
> quite unlikely to me.
>
> And is the number 4 for the favourite mix likely to be changed, again
> maybe by his "mean boss"?
>
> If the number of all possible combinations you may find that you
> should start with frequency tables of
> a) most frequently purchased single items
> b) most frequent mix of 2
> c) ... of 3
> and so on, for n maybe only exploring the more likely mixes < (1),
> (n-1) >
>
> Regards,
> Bernd
> .

Dana

could you provide an example for this macro??

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

> On 2/5/10 6:19 PM, Alonso wrote:
> > Thaks Herbert
> > seems interesting, let me try to understand it and get back to you
> >
> > "Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:
> >
> >> Excel 2007 Tables
> >> Most frequent combination.
> >> http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/02_05_10.xlsx
> >>

> As a side note, if you want to look into it further, I would Rank each
> subset.  If we assume there are 26 distinct items, a macro would first
> adjust each list into integers (perhaps Asci code of the letters)
>
> For example, your last example would be:
> "BCDFZ"
>
> {2, 3, 4, 6, 26}
>
> Look at each of the 5 subsets...
>
> {2, 3, 4, 6}
> {2, 3, 4, 26}
> {2, 3, 6, 26}
> {2, 4, 6, 26}
> {3, 4, 6, 26}
>
> With 26 items the upper size is
>   =Combin(26,4) = 14,950
>
> The above five values would be:
>
> {2302, 2322, 2363, 2594, 4365}
>
> The number 2302 would show up the most. (I would use a Dictionary object)
>
> To get the value of this number would be
>
> ? UKS(2302, 4, 26)
>
> {2, 3, 4, 6}
>
> Which when reversed would be "B C D F"
>
> A macro for this is very fast.
> Again, it might be something you might want to research.
>
> Dana DeLouis
> .

Excel 2007 Tables
Most frequent combinations
Revised and expanded.
No macro.
http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/02_05_10.xlsx
0
Herbert
2/11/2010 12:52:11 AM
Amazing...
thanks!!

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

> Excel 2007 Tables
> Most frequent combinations
> Revised and expanded.
> No macro.
> http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/02_05_10.xlsx
> .

run-time error 2147467259 (80004005)
i have a store that is getting the run time error above only when they have a transaction involving the members of one matrix, and then they are kicked out of the system. if they try to sell one of these items, transfer it to another store, receive it, etc, it will kill the program and give this error. the rest of the information given in the error is "could not find the index entry for RID '1600002bd2765100' in index page (1:42599), index ID 8, database GFANC03. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this problem and possible solutions? We are using version 1.2, sin...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

24 hour time format conversion
Hello, I have a database that I have been trying to convert into a correct and recognizable time format. The old db kept time in numeric form 01...2400. The problem is when I try to import this into the new database using CDate() it gives and error for each 2400 hour. I understand that Access (2003) expresses 2400 hours as 0:00 but cannot seem to get the right conversion for the append query. Here is what I have for the query expression: TimeValue: Date(IIf([Stored_Sampler_Data]![Time]<60, (Format([Stored_Sampler_Data]![Time],"00:@@")), (Format([Stored_Sampler_Data]![Time],"...

How can I combine data from a list?
For example: suppose I had a very simple list, with two columns: "Name" and "Number". The category "name" has three items: Dog, Cat, and Dog. Each of those three items has a corresponding "number" value: 3, 4, and 5. I'm trying to find a function that would recognize the fact that I have "Dog" listed twice, and would sum the 3 & 5 values listed next to each "Dog", leaving me with a two-item list: Dog, 8 & Cat, 4. Is there a way to do this? A Pivot Table will do that nicely for you: Set the Name as a ROW and the ...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

How to make "This workbook contains links to other data sources" appear?
Hello How to make "Microsoft Excel This workbook contains links to other data sources To update all linked information, click Yes. To keep the existing information, click No." pop up or appear on the Task bar after clicking "Open Link" in "Linked Worksheet Object" in a context menu of a linked object in Word 2003 sp2? The window appear only after clicking an Excel button in the Task bar. ...

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Time format in Excel 97
I'm having problems using time in Excel. I've tried various cell formats but get similiar results. When entering a time in a cell such as :57, Excel seems to see it as a time and works fine, once I get over a minute and enter something like 1:03, Excel sees that cell as 1:03:00 AM, which I definitely don't want it to do. Any suggestions would be great. thanks. Hi, First format the cells as h:mm:ss. When entering time you must enter it according to the format. For example 1 minute and 3 seconds must be entered as 00:01:03 it you do not enter the leading 00 excel will eval...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Autorun a macro at preset times
I have a macro that draws data from a website and places in to several tables which are then organised is different criteria. Instead of me manually hitting the button with assigned macro, I want to have the macro run itself every 10 minutes. How do I do this please? Darren, have a look at ONTIME in Excel VBA help -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Darren" wrote: > I have a macro that draws data from a website and places i...

Advanced Find not finding all
"Advanced Find" in Outlook 2007 is not finding all email messages which match the criteria. It finds between 30 and 200 and then stops. I then have to work with those (e.g., delete them) and then click "Find Now" again to find another batch, dozens of times! What is wrong? How do I fix this and find all messages that match the criteria? My typical application is to split the entire contents of my .pst files by date. Do do this I make a copy of the file. In one I delete all messages older than the cutoff date (e.g., 1/1/2007), and in the other I delete all messages yo...

Re: How to delay ToolTip display time in CListCtrl Control
"Smallfrogs" <super_smallfrogs@hotmail.com> д���ʼ� news:... > Thanks > "Ali R." <nospam@nospam.com> д���ʼ� > news:snPYb.436$1V5.123111568@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com... > > ((CListCtrl > > *)GetDlgItem(IDC_MYLIST))->GetToolTips()->SetDelayTime(TTDT_AUTOPOP,5000); > > > > or if you have variable for your list > > m_MyList.GetToolTips()->SetDelayTime(TTDT_AUTOPOP,5000); > > > > that will set how long it stays up after it is displayed. > > > > Change TTDT_AUTOPOP with TTDT_INITIAL to change the...

How to: find reason for rejected messages?
I'm trying to find the reason, why certain messages get rejected by our exchange 2000 server. Is there a way to find out? Scenario: pullmail gets mails from pop3 mailboxes from, let's say "internetmailserver.com" and puts it in our exchange server "intranet.com". For most mails it works marvellous but for some mails it just fails and I can only see (output of pullmail command): .... 1 messages waiting << +OK 8488322 octets Message from: some.user@validdomain.com to: user@intranet.com SMTP message rejected, reply OK Unexpected response rsion:...

finding latest hotfix
how do I find latest hotfix for Project Server 2007, Sharepoint server 2007 and SQL serve 2005? For Service Pack we can search using bing or google and find. But not for hotfix. How do I find? Thank you Hello all the latest updates are documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.aspx -- Christophe Fiessinger Microsoft http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie "sgOrchid" <sgOrchid@@newsgroup.nospam.com> wrote in message news:3B51FE4E-ADD6-415D-9771-CCD32A65DF11@microsoft.com... > how do I find latest hotfix for Project Server 200...

Can "Totals" be displayed in Advance Find results?
This seems like a question that would've been asked many times before, but I can't find any reference to is here. Can total search results be displayed in the search results pane? The only reference to a solution for this is by a company in Romania called Creative Software Solution. They have a screen grab at http://www.creativesolutions.ro/img/Customizations-GridCount.jpg. Anyone know how I can make the customization myself? Thanks! Andy. Dear Andy, There are few options. 1. Writing Reports and show total 2. Add Total as custom value and use javascript to add that va...