Finding Missing and duplicated Numbers

Follow
Email
I have a table

name a        15
name b        16
name c        18

There will be 80 names and 54 numbers (1 to 54).

I need a formular that would search the list of numbers and report back any
duplicate numbers and missing numbers.

Is that possible?
0
Reply Utf 3/1/2010 12:51:01 PM

Hi,
For duplicates see

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

"Ujpest" wrote:

> I have a table
>
> name a        15
> name b        16
> name c        18
>
> There will be 80 names and 54 numbers (1 to 54).
>
> I need a formular that would search the list of numbers and report back any
> duplicate numbers and missing numbers.
>
> Is that possible?
0
Reply Utf 3/1/2010 1:05:01 PM
Here is a simple solution. I put my names in A6:A85 and numbers in B6:B85
If your numbers are somewhere else change the references to $B$6:$B$85 in my
formulas but do not change reference to A1.

In C6 enter this formula =IF(COUNTIF($B$6:$B$85,B6)-1,"Duplicate","")
Copy it down the column by double clicking the fill handle
Numbers that are duplicated will be so indicated

In D6 enter this formulas =IF(ISNA(MATCH(ROW(A1),$B$6:$B$85,0)),ROW(A1),"")
Copy down the column
Numbers that are missing in column B will be displayed in column D

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ujpest" <Ujpest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a table
>
> name a        15
> name b        16
> name c        18
>
> There will be 80 names and 54 numbers (1 to 54).
>
> I need a formular that would search the list of numbers and report back
> any
> duplicate numbers and missing numbers.
>
> Is that possible?

0
Reply Bernard 3/1/2010 1:27:25 PM
That is brilliant
thank you

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Here is a simple solution. I put my names in A6:A85 and numbers in B6:B85
> If your numbers are somewhere else change the references to $B$6:$B$85 in my
> formulas but do not change reference to A1.
>
> In C6 enter this formula =IF(COUNTIF($B$6:$B$85,B6)-1,"Duplicate","")
> Copy it down the column by double clicking the fill handle
> Numbers that are duplicated will be so indicated
>
> In D6 enter this formulas =IF(ISNA(MATCH(ROW(A1),$B$6:$B$85,0)),ROW(A1),"")
> Copy down the column
> Numbers that are missing in column B will be displayed in column D
>
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>
> "Ujpest" <Ujpest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a table
> >
> > name a        15
> > name b        16
> > name c        18
> >
> > There will be 80 names and 54 numbers (1 to 54).
> >
> > I need a formular that would search the list of numbers and report back
> > any
> > duplicate numbers and missing numbers.
> >
> > Is that possible?
>
> .

0
Reply Utf 3/1/2010 6:41:01 PM
Thanks for feedback
Bernard

> That is brilliant
> thank you
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> Here is a simple solution. I put my names in A6:A85 and numbers in B6:B85
>> If your numbers are somewhere else change the references to $B$6:$B$85 in
>> my
>> formulas but do not change reference to A1.
>>
>> In C6 enter this formula =IF(COUNTIF($B$6:$B$85,B6)-1,"Duplicate","")
>> Copy it down the column by double clicking the fill handle
>> Numbers that are duplicated will be so indicated
>>
>> In D6 enter this formulas
>> =IF(ISNA(MATCH(ROW(A1),$B$6:$B$85,0)),ROW(A1),"")
>> Copy down the column
>> Numbers that are missing in column B will be displayed in column D
>>
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>>
>> "Ujpest" <Ujpest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a table
>> >
>> > name a        15
>> > name b        16
>> > name c        18
>> >
>> > There will be 80 names and 54 numbers (1 to 54).
>> >
>> > I need a formular that would search the list of numbers and report back
>> > any
>> > duplicate numbers and missing numbers.
>> >
>> > Is that possible?
>>
>> .

0
Reply Bernard 3/2/2010 8:10:09 PM
Follow
Email

Find Duplicate names and delate

how do i get negative numbers in brackets in Excel
i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets but this is the accounting convention is it hidden in excel or do i need a plug in Hi Maverick, Enter numbers using the minus symbol, but format your cells: Format => Cells => Number [tab] and in the Type box, enter "#,##0.00_ ;[Red](#,##0.00) " (without the quotation marks). Ewan. "maverick accountant" wrote: > i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets > but this is the accounting convention > is it hidden in excel > or do i need a plug in ...

Duplicates
I have a list of names and I would like to check whether I have any d-plicates in a column rather than checking by eye. If anyone knows how to do this please - then I would be very grateful if someone post a solution. Kind regards Try Chip Pearson's web site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm Scroll down to the D's, and check out the pages on Duplicates. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== <nospam_musrol@btinternet.com> wrote in ...

how do I delete numbers without deleting formulas
In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the formulas in the column? F5>Special>Constants. Use the option buttons to select what you wish to highlight for deleting>Ok Edit>Clear Contents. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:13:02 -0700, "Emmaus junkie" <Emmaus junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the >formulas in the column? ...

Add space after each numbered or bulleted item
I need to make rather long lists of paragraphs that are several lines long. The numbered list feature forces a new number and a new line upon hitting enter. this is expected behavior. However, I need a space between the items to make each item stand out. In Word if I hit enter again, a new number is issued as expected. However if I arrow up to the first empty space and hit the backspace, the number will be removed, the following number will be changed to next sequential number and the empty line remain. Publisher, however insists on starting a new number sequence. Is there any way to c...

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Message Tracking missing messages
Running Exchange 2003. An user had some messages bounced back. Just to see if I saw anything relevant, I went into Message Tracking and pulled up all the messages that day by leaving the various fields (except for date and server) blank. Not all the messages that the user had sent was showing up. Anyone have any ideas why Message Tracking wasn't tracking all the messages? Richard Rosenheim Perhaps the user sent via a different (non-Exchange) SMTP server? -GT "Richard L Rosenheim" <richard@rlr.com> wrote in message news:eVOqg4nFFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > ...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Looking for a basic "duplicate file name finder" app.
Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like? I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and searched, I got 800 hits. When I tried the "most popular" according to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted to "clean up my system". Thanks. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...

cannot find database

Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers
With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14 characters. Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20 characters. After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect. The support team responded that this change was by design. They claimed that the change was made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters". This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect) is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons. 1) C...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?
When I look into the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? Cindy Cindy Parker wrote: > When I look into the folder: > > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent > > then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. > > How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? > > Cindy > Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize ...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Automatic numbering feature:
Is there a way to have a template (such as an expense report, policy order, etc.) in Excel automatically number the document by who pulls it up first off of the server? Thanks in advance. ~VR Automatically number by who pulls it up first? What does that mean? We can make a worksheet have an autonumber if John opens it, then increase by one if Joe opens it, etc... Coupl'a methods: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=351 http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=349 **************** Anne Troy www.piersontech.com www.mrexcel.com "VVV1299" <VVV1299@di...

OWA 2003 missing autentication?
Hi, We use OWA 2003 (Whole front end-back end system is updraged from 2000) and Active Directory 2003. When I logging on OWA (with username and password). If I open new or old messages or do anything else, system is usually asking username and password again. Exchange default domain (in IIS settings) is our domain. Any tips? Thanks, -Marko ...

Need Formula to detect duplicate invoices
I need a help with formula to detect duplicate invoices (payments) listed in my column I2 through I8317. In a separate column (next to it) I want the computer to return information either by indicating "duplicate" or giving me number of counts for particular invoice. The formula I tried was: =COUNTIF(Invoice Number!$I$2:$I$8317,)I2 but it doesn't work and shows value error. Tx. Take a look here: http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm In article <55b20bbda952a@uwe>, "XYZ via OfficeKB.com" <u14790@uwe> wrote: > I need a help with formula to det...