Finding Average of last 5 entries

I'm trying to figure out a way to make an excel spreadsheet that will help me
out with my players golf scores.  I'd like a spreadsheet that I can enter
scores in for each player daily, but will only give me an average for the
lowest 4 out of their most recent 5 scores.  I'd like to have their older
scores still visible on the spreadsheet, but not used in the calculation of
their average.  In case I'm as confusing as I figure I am, here's an example:

Say Billy turns in 6 practice scores, I'd like the spreadsheet to have all 7
scores on it, but only give me an average of the 4 lowest scores he's turned
in out of his latest 5 scores....ignoring his first two scores.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 22:02:01 -0800, houndawg
<houndawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to figure out a way to make an excel spreadsheet that will help me
>out with my players golf scores.  I'd like a spreadsheet that I can enter
>scores in for each player daily, but will only give me an average for the
>lowest 4 out of their most recent 5 scores.  I'd like to have their older
>scores still visible on the spreadsheet, but not used in the calculation of
>their average.  In case I'm as confusing as I figure I am, here's an example:
>
>Say Billy turns in 6 practice scores, I'd like the spreadsheet to have all 7
>scores on it, but only give me an average of the 4 lowest scores he's turned
>in out of his latest 5 scores....ignoring his first two scores.

Assuming that the scores are in column A starting in cell A1 and that
all scores are positive numbers.

Try this formula:

=AVERAGE(SMALL(OFFSET(A1,MAX((A1:A100>0)*ROW(A1:A100))-5,,5),{1,2,3,4}))

Note: This is an array formula that should be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Change the 100 in both places to reflect the maximum number of scores
to be in column A.

Hope this helps / Lars-�ke
0
Lars
3/6/2010 7:17:58 AM
If A1 contains players name and b1, c2, d1 etc contain scores.
I've made a very simple perhaps ugly solution.
In F2 input    =SUM(B1:F1)-MAX(B1:F1)
That gives the total less the highest - I'm struggling to average that
figure.  Logically it should be divided by 4 but it won't work.
To get round this in F3 input F2/4
Hide row 2
I only give this half baked solution as I'd love to know why my formula
won't work with a /4 tagged on.

--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"houndawg" wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to make an excel spreadsheet that will help me
> out with my players golf scores.  I'd like a spreadsheet that I can enter
> scores in for each player daily, but will only give me an average for the
> lowest 4 out of their most recent 5 scores.  I'd like to have their older
> scores still visible on the spreadsheet, but not used in the calculation of
> their average.  In case I'm as confusing as I figure I am, here's an example:
>
> Say Billy turns in 6 practice scores, I'd like the spreadsheet to have all 7
> scores on it, but only give me an average of the 4 lowest scores he's turned
> in out of his latest 5 scores....ignoring his first two scores.

I meant to say that you can then drag the formulae across which will give you
a continous rolling average as scores come in.
--

"houndawg" wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to make an excel spreadsheet that will help me
> out with my players golf scores.  I'd like a spreadsheet that I can enter
> scores in for each player daily, but will only give me an average for the
> lowest 4 out of their most recent 5 scores.  I'd like to have their older
> scores still visible on the spreadsheet, but not used in the calculation of
> their average.  In case I'm as confusing as I figure I am, here's an example:
>
> Say Billy turns in 6 practice scores, I'd like the spreadsheet to have all 7
> scores on it, but only give me an average of the 4 lowest scores he's turned
> in out of his latest 5 scores....ignoring his first two scores.

Are there/will there be any empty cells within the range? For example:

A2 = 77
A3
A4 = 82
A5 = 83
A6 = 80
A7
A8
A9 = 79

The average would include 77, 79, 80, 82.

What should happen if there aren't at least 5 scores?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"houndawg" <houndawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out a way to make an excel spreadsheet that will help
> me
> out with my players golf scores.  I'd like a spreadsheet that I can enter
> scores in for each player daily, but will only give me an average for the
> lowest 4 out of their most recent 5 scores.  I'd like to have their older
> scores still visible on the spreadsheet, but not used in the calculation
> of
> their average.  In case I'm as confusing as I figure I am, here's an
> example:
>
> Say Billy turns in 6 practice scores, I'd like the spreadsheet to have all
> 7
> scores on it, but only give me an average of the 4 lowest scores he's
> turned
> in out of his latest 5 scores....ignoring his first two scores.

Hello,

> What should happen if there aren't at least 5 scores?

Does not matter. Array-enter
=AVERAGE(SMALL(A1:A99,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),4)))))

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
3/6/2010 6:43:25 PM
On 6 Mrz., 19:43, Bernd P <bplumh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> > What should happen if there aren't at least 5 scores?
>
> Does not matter. Array-enter
> =AVERAGE(SMALL(A1:A99,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),4)))))
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Not most recvent, though.

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
3/6/2010 7:06:47 PM
>>What should happen if there aren't at least 5 scores?
>Does not matter.

You must have magical powers. You're so good you can read the OP's mind?

>=AVERAGE(SMALL(A1:A99,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),4)))))

That won't do what the OP asked for.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bernd P" <bplumhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,

>> What should happen if there aren't at least 5 scores?
>
> Does not matter. Array-enter
> =AVERAGE(SMALL(A1:A99,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),4)))))
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Hello,

Two steps:

Array-enter into B1:B5:
=INDEX(A1:A99,LARGE(IF(A1:A99<>"",ROW(A1:A99)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),
5)))),1)

Then array-enter into C1:
=AVERAGE(SMALL(B1:INDEX(B1:B5,MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),
5));ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),4)))))

But that's quite complex. Maybe better to take a UDF.

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
3/6/2010 7:24:37 PM
>But that's quite complex.

Not really, but you're making it more complex than need be. Why 2 formulas?

--

> Hello,
>
> Two steps:
>
> Array-enter into B1:B5:
> =INDEX(A1:A99,LARGE(IF(A1:A99<>"",ROW(A1:A99)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),
> 5)))),1)
>
> Then array-enter into C1:
> =AVERAGE(SMALL(B1:INDEX(B1:B5,MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),
> 5));ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNTA(A1:A99),4)))))
>
> But that's quite complex. Maybe better to take a UDF.
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Hello Biff,

> Not really, but you're making it more complex than need be. Why 2 formulas?

Try it with one only. INDEX is "cell-bound". If you try it, take care
of possible gaps (empty cells) and of the fact that there might be
less than 5 values, please.

With a VBA function you could just start from the last entry, step
back to the fifth-last-filled, calculate the result and stop.

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
3/7/2010 8:49:58 AM
>Try it with one only. INDEX is "cell-bound".
>If you try it, take care of possible gaps
>(empty cells) and of the fact that there
>might be less than 5 values, please.

Array entered...

=IF(COUNT(A2:A100),AVERAGE(SMALL(INDEX(A:A,LARGE((A2:A100<>"")*ROW(A2:A100),MIN(COUNT(A2:A100),5))):A100,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&MIN(COUNT(A2:A100),4))))),"")

We can also use a non-volatile version but it would be a bit longer.

If the OP only wants the average if there are at least 5 scores...

Array entered...

=IF(COUNT(A2:A100)<5,"",AVERAGE(SMALL(INDEX(A:A,LARGE((A2:A100<>"")*ROW(A2:A100),5)):A100,{1,2,3,4})))

--

> Hello Biff,

>> Not really, but you're making it more complex than need be. Why 2
>> formulas?
>
> Try it with one only. INDEX is "cell-bound". If you try it, take care
> of possible gaps (empty cells) and of the fact that there might be
> less than 5 values, please.
>
> With a VBA function you could just start from the last entry, step
> back to the fifth-last-filled, calculate the result and stop.
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Hello Biff,

Nice one. Also quicker than mine.

I would not call it less complex, though.

The VBA solution which I had in mind:

Function Avg4Last5(r As Range) As Double
Dim i As Long, n As Long
Dim dSum As Double, dMax As Double
i = r.Count
n = 0
dSum = 0#
Do While i > 0 And n < 5
    If Not IsEmpty(r(i)) Then
        If r(i) > dMax Or n = 0 Then
            dMax = r(i)
        End If
        dSum = dSum + r(i)
        n = n + 1
    End If
    i = i - 1
Loop
Select Case n
Case 5
    Avg4Last5 = (dSum - dMax) / 4#
Case 0
    Avg4Last5 = CVErr(xlErrNum)
Case Else
    Avg4Last5 = dSum / n
End Select
End Function

With about 200 rows this VBA is quicker than both worksheet function
approaches. Not that I think golfers play that many rounds - I just
think this VBA function is easier to use and to understand.

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
3/8/2010 7:47:54 PM
>I just think this VBA function is easier to use and to understand.

And, because I'm not much of a programmer, I think formulas are easier to
use and understand!

--

> Hello Biff,
>
> Nice one. Also quicker than mine.
>
> I would not call it less complex, though.
>
> The VBA solution which I had in mind:
>
> Function Avg4Last5(r As Range) As Double
> Dim i As Long, n As Long
> Dim dSum As Double, dMax As Double
> i = r.Count
> n = 0
> dSum = 0#
> Do While i > 0 And n < 5
>    If Not IsEmpty(r(i)) Then
>        If r(i) > dMax Or n = 0 Then
>            dMax = r(i)
>        End If
>        dSum = dSum + r(i)
>        n = n + 1
>    End If
>    i = i - 1
> Loop
> Select Case n
> Case 5
>    Avg4Last5 = (dSum - dMax) / 4#
> Case 0
>    Avg4Last5 = CVErr(xlErrNum)
> Case Else
>    Avg4Last5 = dSum / n
> End Select
> End Function
>
> With about 200 rows this VBA is quicker than both worksheet function
> approaches. Not that I think golfers play that many rounds - I just
> think this VBA function is easier to use and to understand.
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Fix the order of the last name and first name
How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and the first name is second, separated by a comma. Hi! What order do you want them in? Biff >-----Original Message----- >How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and the >first name is second, separated by a comma. >. > Hi try =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,255)) & " " & TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Zami wrote: > How do I fix the order of the names, when the last name is first and > the first na...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

How can I get the average of curves on a plot?
Hello! I would like to get the average curve from several curves on a plot. Is there a way to do this in Excel? (Background infromation: I have, say, 10 sets of XY points and I want to take the average of these to obtain a set of average X and Y points and plot them. However, each of these 10 sets have a different amount of XY points and I can't simply take the average across the row. Any solutions?) Thanks! -- jessie joe ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jessie joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3...

Finding an event

cannot find database

Cash receipts Entry
Hello, Is it possible to setup a General Ledger Account during entry in Cash Receipts?. I have a cheque where the amount is $107 where $105 is the amount and the $2 is the bank charges and I wanted to put the $2 on the bank charges account. If there is a setup I need to do, please let me know Thank You Kindly Why don't you just use 2 lines in the distribution? Credit one account $105 and the bank charges account $2? Or am I missing something? Is this under Transactions, Financial, Bank Transactions:Enter receipt? kingjack wrote: > Hello, > > Is it possible to setup ...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

save as #5
Where is "save as" option in Excel 2007? I have a spreadsheet on USB drive and would like to save it to my hard drive. Mark click on the round logo of the Office in the upper-left corner of the Excel window -- KL [MVP - Microsoft Excel] RU: http://www.mvps.ru/Program/Default.aspx ES: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/?LN=es-es EN: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AB32F8EE-8ED3-4AB9-ADDA-9E6C73C09A36 "Mark" <dxt44@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uRDm2CaXHHA.3272@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Where is ...

average #2
Hi, problem. a colum with numbers and formulas, what needs to be done to get the average of just the numbers col-1 col-2 col-3 5 5 10 5 20 30 sum 1+2 formulas sum 1+2 sum 1+2 sum 1+2 Average - I can not get the cell to show the average of 20 Tanks for you help Frank -- fwburkey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fwburkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30314 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499800 Is 20 supposed to be 25 If...

Formula for averaging times
I have a very large spreadsheet that tracks times. I have the formulas figured out fot the wait times that I need but I need to break them down by individual. There are approximately 15 different physicians listed in this spread sheet. I have a separate spreadsheet that I want to average the times for each physician. Example: Physician 1 "time to see physician" "wait time" "elapsed time" Physician 3 "time to see physician" "wait time" "elapsed time" Physician 1 "time to see physician" "wait time" &...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Inventory Valuation 7.5
Is there a crystal report that anyone has that calculates stock value / status using true layer costs and not a blended cost for version 7.5???? Thanks Ray ...

Help removing 5.5 server after migration
I have migrated from an Exchange 5.5 environment to a Exchange 2003. I have moved all the mailboxes, public and system folders, also removed all the connectors and am able to shut off the 5.5 server and still have all Exchange tasks work. So, I'm now ready to remove the 5.5 server from my administrative group. All the guides say to connect to the SRS server using Exchange 5.5 administrator and delete the 5.5 server from the administrative group. However, when I try to connect to the SRS server, I get an error message: Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange...

Last cell in row range with a result
I need to see if anyone can tell me if it's possible to find the last cell in a range that has a result and not just a formulas. We have this file that has a row of formulas as each cell it a different day of the month. In another file I need to pull the current cell and at this time I have to change the cell reference. Please let me know, thanks if you have a row of data , say row 3, with no included blanks, then the last value in that row is: =INDEX($3:$3,COUNTA($3:$3)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200713 Gary''s Student wrote: > if you have a row of data , say ...

How do I stop last number from changing to a 0 in excel
I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter 16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format to numbers with no decimals. Try setting cell format to text before entering or use an apostrophe then enter the number HTH Regards, Howard "dan12" <dan12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:426335E4-F08B-4C23-B6E2-EB45F36101F5@microsoft.com... >I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter > 16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format > to &...

Advanced Find not finding all
"Advanced Find" in Outlook 2007 is not finding all email messages which match the criteria. It finds between 30 and 200 and then stops. I then have to work with those (e.g., delete them) and then click "Find Now" again to find another batch, dozens of times! What is wrong? How do I fix this and find all messages that match the criteria? My typical application is to split the entire contents of my .pst files by date. Do do this I make a copy of the file. In one I delete all messages older than the cutoff date (e.g., 1/1/2007), and in the other I delete all messages yo...