Fill down conditional formatting series

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Conditional formatting automatically assigns the CF formula to all the cells
within the seleciton. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that
the cell reference B1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the
selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"gootroots" wrote:

> This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.
>
> B1:B10 require the following formula:
>
> =B1=True
> =B2=True
> =B3=True
> and so on
>
> when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Make sure in the formula you use the cell reference as B1 (relative
referencing) and not as $B$1 (absolute referencing)

Below are the different reference styles.
A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
the formula.
$A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
$A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> Conditional formatting automatically assigns the CF formula to all the cells
> within the seleciton. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that
> the cell reference B1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the
> selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection
>
> If this post helps click Yes
> ---------------
> Jacob Skaria
>

> "gootroots" wrote:
>
> > This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.
> >
> > B1:B10 require the following formula:
> >
> > =B1=True
> > =B2=True
> > =B3=True
> > and so on
> >
> > when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

gootroots, xl2007 or xl2003?

--
p45cal

*p45cal*
p45cal's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=558
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=154728

p45cal
11/17/2009 2:51:03 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for helping out.

Actually I have made a mistake in my previous post

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=A1=True
=A2=True
=A3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the A1 is still referenced

Sorry for the confusion.

When I examine say B3 the formula references A1

The only value that is true in A1:10 is A1 yet B1:B10 are all formatted with
a fill colour.

Confused!

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> Make sure in the formula you use the cell reference as B1 (relative
> referencing) and not as $B$1 (absolute referencing)
>
> Below are the different reference styles.
> A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
> the formula.
> $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
> A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
> $A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.
>
> If this post helps click Yes
> ---------------
> Jacob Skaria
>

> "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
>
> > Conditional formatting automatically assigns the CF formula to all the cells
> > within the seleciton. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that
> > the cell reference B1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the
> > selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection
> >
> > If this post helps click Yes
> > ---------------
> > Jacob Skaria
> >

> > "gootroots" wrote:
> >
> > > This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.
> > >
> > > B1:B10 require the following formula:
> > >
> > > =B1=True
> > > =B2=True
> > > =B3=True
> > > and so on
> > >
> > > when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

1. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that the cell reference B1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection

2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=A1=TRUE
4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"gootroots" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for helping out.
>
> Actually I have made a mistake in my previous post
>
> B1:B10 require the following formula:
>
> =A1=True
> =A2=True
> =A3=True
> and so on
>
> when I format B1 and fill down the A1 is still referenced
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> When I examine say B3 the formula references A1
>
> The only value that is true in A1:10 is A1 yet B1:B10 are all formatted with
> a fill colour.
>
> Confused!
>

> "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
>
> > Make sure in the formula you use the cell reference as B1 (relative
> > referencing) and not as $B$1 (absolute referencing)
> >
> > Below are the different reference styles.
> > A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
> > the formula.
> > $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
> > A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
> > $A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.
> >
> > If this post helps click Yes
> > ---------------
> > Jacob Skaria
> >

> > "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
> >
> > > Conditional formatting automatically assigns the CF formula to all the cells
> > > within the seleciton. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that
> > > the cell reference B1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the
> > > selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection
> > >
> > > If this post helps click Yes
> > > ---------------
> > > Jacob Skaria

This would seem to be all simple stuff, but I am baffled.
I am using Excel 2007 and cannot get it to work.

If its kept to its simplest

A1 contains a formula and it has returned a true result

B1 contains a conditional format =A1=True and it is formatted background
Fill with red.

Why am I not getting B1 showing a filled red cell.

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> 1. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that the cell reference B1
> mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
> will have a white background even after selection
>
> 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
> =A1=TRUE
> 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
> 5. Hit OK
>

> If this post helps click Yes
> ---------------
> Jacob Skaria
>

> "gootroots" wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Thanks for helping out.
> >
> > Actually I have made a mistake in my previous post
> >
> > B1:B10 require the following formula:
> >
> > =A1=True
> > =A2=True
> > =A3=True
> > and so on
> >
> > when I format B1 and fill down the A1 is still referenced
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > When I examine say B3 the formula references A1
> >
> > The only value that is true in A1:10 is A1 yet B1:B10 are all formatted with
> > a fill colour.
> >
> > Confused!
> >

> > "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
> >
> > > Make sure in the formula you use the cell reference as B1 (relative
> > > referencing) and not as $B$1 (absolute referencing)
> > >
> > > Below are the different reference styles.
> > > A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
> > > the formula.
> > > $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
> > > A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
> > > $A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.
> > >
> > > If this post helps click Yes
> > > ---------------
> > > Jacob Skaria

Does A1 return the logical value TRUE, or a text string "True"?  Perhaps you
can show us the formula?
In B1, do you have =A1=True in CF/ Cell value is, or CF/ Formula is ?  It
should be the latter.  And you shouldn't need =A1=True;  =A1 should do
(assuming that A1 is set to FALSE if not TRUE).
--
David Biddulph

"gootroots" <gootroots@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> This would seem to be all simple stuff, but I am baffled.
> I am using Excel 2007 and cannot get it to work.
>
> If its kept to its simplest
>
> A1 contains a formula and it has returned a true result
>
> B1 contains a conditional format =A1=True and it is formatted background
> Fill with red.
>
> Why am I not getting B1 showing a filled red cell.
>

> "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
>
>> 1. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that the cell
>> reference B1
>> mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
>> will have a white background even after selection
>>
>> 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
>> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
>> =A1=TRUE
>> 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
>> 5. Hit OK
>>

>> If this post helps click Yes
>> ---------------
>> Jacob Skaria
>>

>> "gootroots" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > Thanks for helping out.
>> >
>> > Actually I have made a mistake in my previous post
>> >
>> > B1:B10 require the following formula:
>> >
>> > =A1=True
>> > =A2=True
>> > =A3=True
>> > and so on
>> >
>> > when I format B1 and fill down the A1 is still referenced
>> >
>> > Sorry for the confusion.
>> >
>> > When I examine say B3 the formula references A1
>> >
>> > The only value that is true in A1:10 is A1 yet B1:B10 are all formatted
>> > with
>> > a fill colour.
>> >
>> > Confused!

0
David
11/17/2009 10:09:07 PM
I have modified the formula to:

=A1="Apples"

this formula I am pleased to say works and when filled down any cells
containing the value "Apples" are also formatted.

The only problem here is that if there are mixed values in A:A then filling
down the range will not produce the desired formatting result.

A way round that is again a modified formula:

=A1=""

however this formats only empty cells in B:B instead of the cells that
contain a value.

So to be clear B:B contains conditional formatting with A:A being the source
to determine what cells contains a value and which cells do not.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> Does A1 return the logical value TRUE, or a text string "True"?  Perhaps you
> can show us the formula?
> In B1, do you have =A1=True in CF/ Cell value is, or CF/ Formula is ?  It
> should be the latter.  And you shouldn't need =A1=True;  =A1 should do
> (assuming that A1 is set to FALSE if not TRUE).
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "gootroots" <gootroots@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > This would seem to be all simple stuff, but I am baffled.
> > I am using Excel 2007 and cannot get it to work.
> >
> > If its kept to its simplest
> >
> > A1 contains a formula and it has returned a true result
> >
> > B1 contains a conditional format =A1=True and it is formatted background
> > Fill with red.
> >
> > Why am I not getting B1 showing a filled red cell.
> >

> > "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that the cell
> >> reference B1
> >> mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
> >> will have a white background even after selection
> >>
> >> 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting>
> >> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
> >> =A1=TRUE
> >> 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red)
> >> 5. Hit OK
> >>

> >> If this post helps click Yes
> >> ---------------
> >> Jacob Skaria

> .

Filling cells in between pairs of numbers
Hello all, I am trying to find an easy way to fill in cells in between pairs of numbers each of which is exactly the average of the pair's difference averaged by the number of these cells greater than the previous. So I have 1 1 2 3 4 8 5 6 7 8 20 9 10 12 13 14 15 45 I want: 1 1 2 3.333333333 3 5.666666667 4 8 5 11 6 14 7 17 8 20 9 23.57142857 10 27.14285714 11 30.71428571 12 34.28571429 13 37.85714286 14 41.42857143 15 45 I know I can do a Fill, Series, but then even with a macro that does a "control shift up fill series enter",...

Conditional formatting with cell styles
I like the cell styles and the fact that they can change if I change a workbook theme. I'd like to use these styles in conditional formats but I can only see manual settings for fonts, borders, fills etc in the conditional formatting options. Is there a way to specify that a conditional format should use a named cell style perhaps? Thanks for any clues you can give. Kevin ...

Case filled out from SharePoint
I need to have a simple form my users fill out to submit a case. This would include the Business Required fields on the CRM Case form. Is there an easy way to do this using SharePoint? In other words, the user would go to the SharePoint site, click a link to "Submit a Support Request". This would open a form (Infopath perhaps?) where they fill in a few simple items, click submit, and a new CRM Case is created. This then would fire any pertinent workflows as if the case had been created from within CRM itself. I'm aware there are 3rd party solutions out there but would...

Matching cells by content then cell fill with color
Thanks to JEM, I am using this routine to color three consecutive cell a specific color, in this case red: Public Sub ThreeCellsRed() ActiveCell.Resize(1,3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 End Sub What I need now is a way for the routine to continue to find all th similar cells, let's say for sake of disc they are people's names, s when I execute the above on my name, mrh, I want it to continue in th worksheet and find all exact matches and color those same cells red. Another thought, say my name (MRH) is in "A1" and it is also in "D1". But in "D1" I use "...

Spontaneous format changes in Excel
I have a user who says that he experiences spontaneous format changes in MS Excel when he is working in his Monthly Receivables Analysis 2009 workbook. Every month beginning with the start of the fiscal year, he adds more data into the workbook so the size of the workbook grows continually until the end of the fiscal year, when he starts a brand new workbook. Currently, the file is 82,087KB in size (a very large spreadsheet). The user says that when working in this Monthly Receivables Analysis workbook, if he changes the decimal places of a cell range on the summary sheet from tw...

Conditional pick list
We are trying to use 2 fields in which to drill down data from our advertising. For example, if the source feild (1) is internet, then source feild (2) field would provide a pick list of just that information from the first field. Any ideas? -- Allied Fun With CRM Ahh, wait til v3.0? Seriously, this will be a LOT easier in v3.0. You could get this to work in v1.2, but it takes a lot of effort and is not supported. You basically need to manipulate the DHTML DOM to change the values of the picklist via javascript. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Allied Modular" <Al...

From field filled in
Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am using Office 2003 with Exchange 2003. I have a second mailbox setup in my profile. When I reply to an e-mail sent to the other inbox, the From field is automatically filled in with that name. So for example, if the other inbox is "HelpDesk" and I reply to an e-mail in that inbox, the from field is automatically filled in as "HelpDesk". Hope that makes sense. Thanks!! <twytch111@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175611189.053649.28340@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am...

Modify a format style
When I try to modify the "Normal" format style it won't let me because (I think) under 'Protection' it's 'Locked'. How can I unlock it when the modify option is unavailable? I'm trying to create a spreadsheet using the 'Format Cells' option for Currency, but my spreadsheet refuses to apply that option even if under 'Edit" I clear 'All' or even just clear 'Format'. My spreadsheet still shows .25 as 0.25 - I want to get rid of the zero to the left of the decimal. And yes, I have checked even my Control Panel 'Regional ...

Strange Formatting
I have a Currency field. When I run it in a Query to display it on a form it spaces to the right. When I run it from a DLookUp, or DSum function it spaces to the right but with a slight space. Does D Functions have a different format than a Query? If so how do you fix it? Thanks DS ...

Transparent Chart Data Series
Dear all, I'm having problems formatting an area chart that I have created. Give that there are two series of data on teh chart and a times one dip behind the other, I want to make one of my series' transparent However, whn I go to the fill effects option of the format data serie menu, transparency is not an option that is available - it is al "greyed out". Anyone got any ideas why this is, and how I can make it an activ option? Thanks, Stev -- stevepai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- stevepain's Profile: http://www.excelforum...

format cells option not working
when i highlight some cells and try to format them nothing happends, workbook and sheets are not protected, cells in question dot not have any data in them at all, totaly blank! if they are locked how can i findout? and how to unlock them? Thanks, Steve Maybe this? OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320531 -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Steven" <me@where.why> wrote in message news:K3Yfc.2505$UG1.744@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net... > when i highlight some cells and...

Operating fill handle and moving entire cells with keyboard
Is there any way of operating the fill handle or moving entire cells/range of cells with the keyboard rather than using the mouse (drag and drop). Thanks, Tom. Tom Copy or Cut Select range Select top left corner of range. Hold Shift & press End, Arrow down or right. Copy:= Ctrl + C Cut:= Ctl + X Paste Ctl + V To Fill Down or Right Ctrl + D or ctrl + r Use Excel Help and search for keyboard shortcuts for a complete List. Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way of operating the fill handle or moving >entire cells/range of cells with the keyboard rathe...

excel series charts
Hi, I am trying to create a line chart in excel with two series. Conside the following data: np time1 time2 1 1000 100 2 900 90 3 850 80 4 700 70 5 600 60 6 400 30 7 300 10 8 270 5 The first series is plotted correctly but the second series i completely wrong. I was wondering if someone else has encountered suc a problem with two series charts. Can anyone suggest a solution to thi problem. thanks, sami -- samit70 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- samit700's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/memb...

Have one fill to auto fill aother
My question is simple. I would like to have field 27 = field 25. So when someone enters the data for field 25, the same data auto populated in field 27. Any help is appreciated! Kaylen, In the CotrolSource for Field 27 type... =[field 25] ....assuming of that you are talking about a form in Microsoft Access or did you mean to post this question in the Excel newsgroup? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Kaylen" <Kaylen@discussions....

Colours changing in the fill palette and the spreadsheet?
Hi I have a user with Office 2003, and her pc and build is standard as with her colleagues. In Excel the colours would change (cells filled) also if the user goes to her pallette the colours have also changed. Desktop and all other applications colour are fine. The following resolutions have been tried - office detect and repair, updates, asked the user to got to the tools options and reset the pallette and this does not work. She has to log off and back in again in order to set it back to the proper colours. Again this is only affecting Excel? Any pointers? I wish to thank you in advanc...

Filling in blank PO
Hi everybody, I have some question to you, when you create blank PO, then go to content and click Add Item you can see tw boxes. In top one there are all items from your database and in bottom one there are Items you are adding. If you reach number of rows visible in bottom window there is scroll bar comming on right hand side, and as you add more items every new ona is going to the very bottm of the list which is in invisible area. To get there and type in Qty you have to scroll down whole list every time when you add next item. I'm using most recent updates for RMS and I checked i...

Formatting Axis
I am building a Line Chart on Excel 2003 with data from multiple sales divisions trying to show their growth in month to month sales. At the same time, I want to include a line for the total company but when I do, the lines for the divisions are all clumped together. How do I show, for instance, a set of four numbers running with dollars ranging from $500,000 to $3,000,000 for each month and then show the main company summed at $10,000,000 per month without having the first 4 lines all bunched together? Is there a way to omit the values from $4,000,000 to $9,000,000? Hope I explaine...

Converting e.g. 28-07-2004 to recognised date format
Hello I've got a column full dates in a non standard format, like below. Ho can I convert these to an excel recognised format? 28-07-2004_ 30-07-2003_ 31-07-2002_ 01-08-2001_ 31-07-2000_ 02-08-1999_ 03-08-1998_ 04-08-1997_ 29-07-1996_ 17-07-1995_ Thanks, Berti -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Bertie! Here's one way: Use a helper column and this formula: =DATE(MID(A1,7,4),MID(A1,4,2),LEFT(A1,2)) Format to the date style that you want. then you could delete the orginal list if you so desire. Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hello > >I've ...

Format options when format is selected from the top row

conditional formatting graph
Is it possible to do conditional formatting on a bar graph? I need one bar to change to red if it is below the national average or stay green if it's above. I have found many postings on how to do something like this in Excel but nothing on how to do it in Access. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks Becky ...

How do I auto fill long col. filling blanks with last filled cell
On a large worksheet, is there a way to fill the blanks in a column with the last filled cell without using the autofill handle? My worksheet is over 2000 rows and I am hoping to find some way to mass fill the blanks in Excel. Here is a small example of what I am talking about. Thanks for any tips. S1475 201686 506456 S1888 38254 15623 56731 S9564 46321 156323 M, This ought to work... http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip040.htm Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware "MBBeginner" <MBBeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Excel 2007
Hi to all, I'm truly a beginner with pushing excel a bit, but what I'm trying to achieve seems logical and simple enough in my mind. I've got a simple daily sales sheet that is edited at each salepoint. I've got a drop-down list of vendors in Column A sorted in a Data Validation list so that much is straight forward, another few columns of details and {price totals} at the end, such as: Company X | Details | QTY | PriceEa | PriceTotal | I'm trying to automate a result that if the Company equals {Company1} then the total in that rows {pricetotal} gets added to a particul...

If-formula in series-range of chart-datasource
Hello there, depending on the "True" or "False"-value of a checkbox in a worksheet, I need to show one or the other dataseries for the X-axis in an XL-chart. However, when I try to integrate an If-formula into the series-definition in the datasource-dialogbox, Excel doesn't accept that. Is there a way to make a dataseries shown dependent on a condition ? Thank you in advance, Kind regards, H.G. Lamy Hi look at the following examples http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html ...

fill colors
I cannot view any fill color, no matter if it is in a text box or object. I can see the colors if I perform a print preview. If I email the same object the color does not show either. I have checked to see if the transparency is turned up and it is not. What is wrong? Thanks, Gary Can you send the email to me? Check your printer setup to be sure you have color selected. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "joy filters" <joy filters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

HELP:user-fill in form
I need a excel-file with 2 tabs. In the first tab It must be able to fill a week nr. And then som other values. Then that values must automattically filled in, in Tab2 in the righ column of that week. If you can help me, please reply !!! Thanks in advance, Stif -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You weren't very specific as to if this is from one cell on sheet1 or for all cells in a column. In any event, you can use a worksheet_change event on a worksheet module to this sort of thing. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stift >" <<S...