Excel - How to get tab to go to next unlocked cell across columns

Is there any way to use Excel as a form for data entry and have the enter
and/or tab key take you to the next cell for data entry when the next cell.
Specifically, I have a form setup and it has merged fields at different
places.  I need the ability to enter across a line and at the end of that
line for the next enter or tab to take me back to column A on the next
unlocked cell.  Is this possible?

Make sure the cells you need to tab to are Unlocked.  Once that is done,
protecte the sheet (with or without a password) and clear the check box next
to "Select Locked Cells".
Once that's done, tabbing will move you left to right then down.  [Enter]
will move you according to the settings in: Excel Options, [Edit] tab and the
"Move Selection after Enter" setting.

"Linda" wrote:

> Is there any way to use Excel as a form for data entry and have the enter
> and/or tab key take you to the next cell for data entry when the next cell.
> Specifically, I have a form setup and it has merged fields at different
> places.  I need the ability to enter across a line and at the end of that
> line for the next enter or tab to take me back to column A on the next
> unlocked cell.  Is this possible?
Jerry

Note the "merged fields"

Tabbing to unlocked cells on a protected sheet goes out the window when you
have merged cells.

Depending upon which cells are merged Tab can get stuck on a row and never
move down.

Gord

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:20:05 -0700, JLatham
<JLatham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Make sure the cells you need to tab to are Unlocked.  Once that is done,
>protecte the sheet (with or without a password) and clear the check box next
>to "Select Locked Cells".
>Once that's done, tabbing will move you left to right then down.  [Enter]
>will move you according to the settings in: Excel Options, [Edit] tab and the
>"Move Selection after Enter" setting.
>
>"Linda" wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to use Excel as a form for data entry and have the enter
>> and/or tab key take you to the next cell for data entry when the next cell.
>> Specifically, I have a form setup and it has merged fields at different
>> places.  I need the ability to enter across a line and at the end of that
>> line for the next enter or tab to take me back to column A on the next
>> unlocked cell.  Is this possible?

0
Gord
4/22/2010 8:11:28 PM
Depends on how the cells are merged.

See my reply to Jerry.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:14:01 -0700, Linda <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Is there any way to use Excel as a form for data entry and have the enter
>and/or tab key take you to the next cell for data entry when the next cell.
>Specifically, I have a form setup and it has merged fields at different
>places.  I need the ability to enter across a line and at the end of that
>line for the next enter or tab to take me back to column A on the next
>unlocked cell.  Is this possible?

0
Gord

Searching Column Question
Hi All, I'm having a problem searching some of my excel sheets and hope someone might have a way to do this. I need to search a workbook with multiple sheets for a specific value only in one column. For an example I have a inventory workbook with lots of sheets. All sheets have a column for barcodes (column F) and I need to search this column for a specific barcode number on all sheets simultaneously. Can this be done? Thanks. Brad --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Brad I don't believe you can limit your search to only one column on each sheet without VB...

How do you change the right margin of a header in Excel?
Is there any way to change the right margin in Excel, or is it going to default no matter what? The margins of left and right headers cannot be changed. The only way to move them is to pad with spaces. i.e. enter your right header as custom then add several spaces to move it left. You cannot move it more to the right. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:19:05 -0800, ncford <ncford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way to change the right margin in Excel, or is it going to >default no matter what? Thanks for your help. However, I can't get it...

fill cell based on percentage
I want to show graphically percentage values contained in some cells. Is it possible to fill the cell with a color up to the percentage value? I now use square symbols but I want to improve the result, and I prefer not use a graph. Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, I assume you are using an approach similar to the one described here, http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip052.htm If so you can use the Full block character (? Unicode &H2588 Arial font) to create a solid bar. Cheers Andy enri < wrote: > I want to show graphically percentage values...

EXCEL export to SQL query
Hi All, Hi guys - I'm a bit of a newbie to this programming lark and am struggling - I am trying to update a SQL database from a form in excel, below is the code that exists however doesn't seem to work, actual feilds on Spreadsheet and SQL DB are as follows Department;UserName;TelLogin;LoginID;UserID;TL Private Sub CommandButton2_Click() 'Inserts a new record into an SQL Table Dim con As Object Dim d As String Dim boolcheck As Boolean Set con = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") Sheets("Sheet2").Select Selection.Range("...

colored cells are not sorting correctly?
I have a brand new excel 2003 file and have the following numbers in cells A1:A10. 10 6 4 5 3 1 8 7 2 9 now, if I click the sort buttons on the toolbar the column sorts correctly in either direction. Now, make three random cell have a background color and then try and sort. My column no longer sorts correctly in either direction. If I remove the background colors from the cells they will sort correctly again. I have looked at the header row (under data:sort) and it is set to "no header row". How do I get around this problem? Thanks Hi! Using Excel XP it does the same thin...

Formatinc cents in Excel
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C64375.83FC6A30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi guys, I hope you can help me with this one. In a cell I may have a value like 0.05 or 0.16 or 1.16 (these are dollar amounts) I will like to format these numbers following this criterion: If its by instance 0.05 ---> 5 cents If its 0.16 ---> 16 cents If its 1.14 ---> I willl leave 1.14 Thanks ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C64375.83FC6A30 Content-Type: text/html; charset=...

how do I turn rows into columns
I'm copy and pasting a list into Excel. Excel automatically takes my list and puts each item into the next row. What I want to do is have each row be the heading of a column instead. So how to I get the table to reverse itself, so items in rows go into columns, and the columns become rows instead? Copy > PasteSpecial > Transpose > ok.................. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Madigan" <Madigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C2B2B8E-ECA8-4567-8507-945D25755F46@microsoft.com... > I'm copy and pasting a list into Excel. Excel ...

how to get dd/mm/yy
Australia's standard date reference is dd/mm/yy not the US method of mm/dd/yy. How do I get Money 2003 to talk Australian? (I've entered it as User Region 'Australia' in money 2003 standard there is no way to reverse the date setting.....i just checked all locations....sorry ================================================= >-----Original Message----- >Australia's standard date reference is dd/mm/yy not the US >method of mm/dd/yy. How do I get Money 2003 to talk >Australian? (I've entered it as User Region 'Australia' >. > Money...

How to "clone" or "duplicate" cells & their formulas...
Copy-Paste-Special lets you do some useful things in Excel. But there's no quick & easy way to "clone" a cell and make an exact duplicate of it. Often I do this either because a given cell is a good starting point for a different calculation. The workarounds work, but, like workarounds, they kinda stink. For example, you can edit the formula, put a quote in front of it & turn it into a string, then copy it to wherever you need it, and then finally edit it (and the original) back to formula. Or, you can use absolute references in the formula and then copy the formula....

adding every third column
i need a formaula that adds every third column i.e. formula in cell A1 adds D1,G1 ect ect can some one help with this? See your other post -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "gma" <gma@mircosoft.com> wrote in message news:49DC4D95-4FAA-4845-A2CF-9C0E5E07EF9A@microsoft.com... >i need a formaula that adds every third column i.e. formula in cell A1 adds > D1,G1 ect ect can some one help with this? ...

Access VBA creating an Excel spreadsheet with a total line
I have an Access module which dynamically creates an Excel spreadsheet. Now the Business User has asked that we put a Total Line in the Excel spreadsheet. How do I within Access VBA determine the range, because the spreadsheet will never be the same, and then use that range to create a formula to insert to the local recordset which dynamically creates the Excel spreadsheet with the Total Line??? Thanks in advance for your review and help and hopeful for a reply. PSULionRP On Dec 22, 10:35 am, PSULionRP <PSULio...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an Acces...

Place The Contents Of A Cell From The Active Worksheet Into A Cell On An Inavtive Worksheet
Greetings, Is there anyway to place the value/contents of a cell (A1) on the active sheet into a cell (AA1) on an inactive sheet? Example: The contents of cell A1 on sheet 1 is a date. There are 19 other sheets with a date in A1, each date is different. I need the date from the sheet that I am on to sow up in cell AA1 on a sheet called Data. A formula on Data is looking to A1 on the active sheet to give a response to the active sheet from the list property of sheet 1. What I have was designed for only one sheet working with one Data sheet. If anyone has any ideas or samples of other p...

hyperlinks to a cell
Hyperlinks to a cell in the same document should update when rows above the cell get added or deleted. Hi if you'ld like to let MS know what you think send them an email at mswish@microsoft.com with excel in the subject line and your suggestion / request whatever in the message body ... -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "Shoshi Gutreich" <Shoshi Gutreich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84A47D12-8E84-4894-A629-3C7909124BE7@microsoft.com... > Hyperlinks to a cell in the same document s...

Excel screen doesn't update correctly
Hi Something strange is happening, when I go from one cell to another the screen appears to update, but gets mixed up. The only way I have found to fix it is to do a print preview or select another tab but now it is at the point it happens every time I put data into a cell. This is very frustrating, does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance Tanya Hi, check if you have your calculation method as manual, change it to automatic "Tanya" wrote: > Hi > Something strange is happening, when I go from one cell to another the > screen ...

Linking data from .CSV to Excel
Hello! I'm completely stuck. I have an excel spreadsheet that uses data fro a .CSV file. This data (all numbers) is linked to a sheet in th workbook. The problem is this: in order for the data to be updated, it is necessary to open up th .csv file whilst the workbook is open. This is a terrible hassle. have tried making a macro that opens the .csv file and then closes i again, but that doesn't appear to update the linked data fields. Th Edit/Links/...update links function won't work, since Excel say "External Copy: file format is not valid". Does anyone have any...

Word.doc's opened in excel
I have a spreadsheet that contains index information. I need to be able to click ( ? double click) on a cell that contains word.doc description (eg WI000_24.doc) and have that document open i word. There are 265 doc's listed in a column. There are some blank cells in the column. The column contents will change (daily / weekly) Your help is appreciated. Chri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this Add a button on your worksheet and assign this macro to it It will open the file that is in the activecell (change the path in the macro to yours) Sub test() ...

Where did the ISV list go?
Where do we have to go now to get a list of the ISV offerings? ...

Outlook Web Access
I recently installed Exchange 2003. When I try to use Outlook Web Access (e.g. http://servername/exchange), I do not get the Outlook Web Access login screen. Instead, I get a Windows prompt for domain\userid and password. Once I enter the correct ID/password, I go to the Inbox screen as I would expect. Why am I not going to the Outlook Web Access login screen? I've enabled forms-based authentication and set cookie authentication time-out values for both Trusted and Public access. What am I missing? Do I need a certificate? If so, how do I create and store one? Thanks. Yes, you&#...

Getting rid of stubborn RSS feeds...
I have repeatedly setup/removed various RSS feeds from Outlook 2007, so I am familiar with the basics of how to do this. However, I have a situation where the RSS Feeds folder shows some unread messages each day that are unviewable. Normally, the feeds end up in a subfolder under RSS Feeds, but these 10 daily messages are not in any subfolder and clicking 'RSS Feeds' folder just shows the RSS signup page. There is apparently no way to unsubscribe from whatever feed is generating these as I have tried clearing out all my feeds under Data File Mgmt/RSS Feeds. These stub...

ADO to get recordset into array from a workbook
How do I use ADO to get a decordset into an array with data from closed workbook??? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/ado.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "dovrox >" <<dovrox.168pjm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:dovrox.168pjm@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do I use ADO to get a decordset into an array with data from a > closed workbook???? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > The workbook becomes the data source, GetRows puts it in an...

Macro to get rid of "Chart1" Verbiage
Excel 2000 ... I got this Macro from this board before ... Debra D (I think?) ... I wish to get rid of "Chart?" from the header of my Charts. Anyone ... How do I do this? ... Thanks ... Kha If you're trying to clear the header on a chart sheet, choose View>Header and Footer, then from the Header drop-down list choose None. If it's something else, perhaps you can give a bit more detail. Ken wrote: > Excel 2000 ... I got this Macro from this board before ... > Debra D (I think?) ... I wish to get rid of "Chart?" from > the header of my Charts. &g...

Copying a formula with a relative cell reference
I've constructed a formula that links information from two spreadsheets. My resulting formula looks like, "=IF('[Purchases & Acq FY03.xls]Jeff'!L$32=1341,+'[Purchases & Acq FY03.xls]Jeff'!D$32)". Well, I need to be able to copy the formula down without manually increasing the row reference from L$32 to L$33, L$34. Please advise me on an easier more efficient to accomplish this. Thanks Hi If I understand you correctly, you can just change L$32 to L32. This will now increment as you fill down. -- Andy. "Tany" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

watermark in excel.
can i enter a watermark as a background in excel?and if yes is this watermark appear in printing?? Go to File/PageSetup. Go to the header/Footer tab. Click Custom Header, click in the Centre Section area, click the Picture tool (2nd from right) and insert the text or image that you want as a watermark. Click the Format Picture tool (1st on right), click the Picture tab, set Image Control to "Washout". That should do it. Rgds, Scott "Ahmad Al-Nahar" <AhmadAlNahar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4DAEF9E-4DA1-4494-8E26-6DAEB01F05F2@microsoft.com....

Excel Hyperlink Base Directory
Hi, I am distributing a workbook which has a set of accompanying notes (help file) as a Word Document. The Word doc is linked to various cells in the worksheet by a series of hyperlinks. The problem is that I do not know where end-users will save the worksheet and its accompanying files. I can suggest, but every user will have a different user name depending upon their organisation etc. eg My Documents\user\Log Book (for "user" insert any combination of letters/number!) I would like to just force Excel to locate the Word doc in the same directory as the active worksheet ...