evaluate

I saw a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written
=IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1))

can the function C6>EDATE(C6,12) can ever be true as the logic is refering
to the same cell

afd

0
afdmello

No, I don't see how that could ever be True.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I saw a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written
> =IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1))
>
> can the function C6>EDATE(C6,12) can ever be true as the logic is refering
> to the same cell
>
> afd

0
Rick
5/16/2010 6:04:32 PM
On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:55:47 +0300, "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I saw a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written
>=IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1))
>
>can the function C6>EDATE(C6,12) can ever be true as the logic is refering
>to the same cell
>
>afd

In addition to agreeing with Rick's comment, I would also point out that the
first conditional does not compare C5 with a date, but rather compares C5 with
0.000525762 (which is 1 divided by 1902)
--ron
0
Ron
5/16/2010 7:12:53 PM
>a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written
>=IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1))

If it's for training purposes then maybe it's being used as an example of
how not to write a formula!

IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12) will *never* be TRUE. There are only 2 possible results,
either FALSE or an error.

Here's what that is saying in plain English...

If the value of cell C5 is less than 1 divided by 1 divided by 1902 then
return 0. If the value of cell C5 is not less than 1 divided by 1 divided by
1902 then test the value of cell C6 to see if it is greater than the date of
C6 12 months later. If C6 is greater than the date of C6 12 months later
return 0 otherwise return 1.

1 divided by 1 divided by 1902 = 0.000525762355415352

It would be technically possible for C5 to be less than
0.000525762355415352.

That portion of the formula should be written like this:

=IF(C5<DATE(1902,1,1),0...

Or the preferred method, use a cell to hold the date then refer to that
cell:

C4 = 1/1/1902

=IF(C5<C4,0...

Let's assume C6 holds the date 1/1/2010.

EDATE(C6,12) = 1/1/2011

So:

1/1/2010 > 1/1/2011 is not possible and will never be TRUE.

It's hard to say what was meant by:

IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12)...

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written
> =IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1))
>
> can the function C6>EDATE(C6,12) can ever be true as the logic is refering
> to the same cell
>
> afd

Downloadable evaluation version of Outlook 2003
does anyone know if it possible to get a downloadable version? Thanks.....Sly Sly wrote: > does anyone know if it possible to get a downloadable > version? > > Thanks.....Sly No. Not full Outlook, only Outlook Express is downloadable along with IE... >-----Original Message----- >does anyone know if it possible to get a downloadable >version? > >Thanks.....Sly >. > ...

Have you evaluated...
Has anyone evaluated Celerant Command Retail or Tomax Retail.net POS solutions? How are they compared to RMS in terms of features and prices? ...

Evaluating text as formulae
Is it possible to refer to text in a cell as though it were a formula, ie execute it instead of displaying it? Eg if the result of your formula was "A1 + B2", to actually add A1 and B2 and display the result? Thanks Nigel Like concatenating text? =concatenate(a1," + ",b2) or =concatenate(a1,b2) =concatenate(a1," ",b2) "Nigel Ramsden" wrote: > Is it possible to refer to text in a cell as though it were a formula, ie > execute it instead of displaying it? Eg if the result of your formula was > "A1 + B2", to actually add A1 and...

Evaluate a Range
I would like to create a formula that looks at a range with a specified criterion and when it finds the first entry in that range that meets that criterion returns the position of that data in the range. For example, given the following data beginning in A1 and extending to D1: 5,7 ,8,11 I would like to create a formula that looks for a value greater than 10 in that range and then returns the number 4 to signify that it is the fourth entry in that range. Thanks as always for your help. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: Array enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RET...

Does IF() Evaluate in Pivot Table?
Is this function really evaluated in the calculated field of Pivo Table? IF(SALES > 10000,100,200) It always returns the value of the FALSE argument for the entir column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

cells evaluation question
Hey I have a spreadsheet with 9 cells (c14:c22) They will have integers entered from 0 to 10 I need a formula to do the following: - Find how many have a value >=5 - Get the total value of the cells with a value >=5 Thanks Simon You want Countif and Sumif, as in: =countif(c14:c22,">=5") =sumif(c14:c22,">=5") Regards, Fred "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D2F8EA3-D774-4A65-9157-274051900E28@microsoft.com... > Hey > > I have a spreadsheet with 9 cells (c14:c22) > They...

2002 evaluation.
Some time ago I ordered an evaluation copy of MS Publisher 2002. The CD came 2 days later, but that's when my hopes for a good evaluation ended. The thing won't install without a Product Key, which Microsoft never provided me with. During the installation I click on the appropriate link, but all I get is a polite info that the Key has been already sent to the e-mail provided, but will be re-sent. Guess what, it never came. I sent an e-mail to MS support asking for help. They replyed promptly with a car salesman like attitude, saying that they are dedicated to providing ...

evaluate expression
Just curious. No reason really, it just occurred to me to ask. In vba you can use EVAL to evaluate an expression and in FoxPro you can use the EVALUATE() function. Is there such an animal in SQL 2005 or 2008 T-SQL? For SQL-Server, execution of dynamically build sql strings is allowed via the EXEC command or with the sp_sqlexec extended stored procedure. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Windows Live Platform Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvainlafontaine.com Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server (French) "Keith G Hic...

evaluate
I saw a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written =IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1)) can the function C6>EDATE(C6,12) can ever be true as the logic is refering to the same cell afd No, I don't see how that could ever be True. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eXrWFES9KHA.3840@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I saw a worksheet for training programs in which this formula is written > =IF(C5<1/1/1902,0,IF(C6>EDATE(C6,12),0,1)) > > can the function C6&g...

Evaluation same, result different?
I selected A22:A27 then input the following: {=CHAR(97+ROW(A22:A27)-ROW(A22))} CSE Though I get a,b,c ... e,f in cells A22:A27, but if I evaluate going into each of the cells in this range, the evaluator returns CHAR(97) always, but then how come the resultant character changes? Any ideas? Thu, 17 May 2007 23:53:11 +0530 from dindigul <padhye.m@gmail.com>: > I selected A22:A27 then input the following: > {=CHAR(97+ROW(A22:A27)-ROW(A22))} CSE > Though I get a,b,c ... e,f in cells A22:A27, but if I evaluate going into > each of the cells in this range, the evaluato...

How to evaluate RMS 2.0 for various checking after evaluation expr
Dear Microsoft, It was really great working with RMS 1.3 and the time come when RMS 2. 0 lauched, then I thought that this version will have more benefit than 1.3 but here I lost everything. With RMS 1.3 I can create as many database for testing as I can and do the different senario testing with POS (Point of Sales software) whereas such feature is only avaiablle to the one database and 30 days trial time in RMS 2.0 which is I think not fair. You have many practices running in your bussiness and wanted to perform various test because you can not do things straight in any application. ...

About shareware Evaluation
Hi All How to program for Evaluation for a period of time ? e.g. "You have xx days left of your evaluation". And Ask for Register ? moonhkt You may want to ask in one of the programming groups. Windows XP isn't shareware. moonhkt wrote: > Hi All > > How to program for Evaluation for a period of time ? e.g. "You have xx > days left of your evaluation". > And Ask for Register ? > > moonhkt ...

Evaluation
Where can I find an evaluation copy or CRM?? ...

Please evaluate my new function
I am sure somebody already came up with a solution to do a vlookup towards the left, but I wanted to try and build my very own function, which I dubbed VSearch. This is the first function I design and I seek your opinion on the code, as well as suggestions to improve on it. The function requires three arguments, just like vlookup: Var_search represents what is looked up (either a value or the reference to a cell) Rng_where represents the range where the value defined above will be searched Int_column_offset represents the number of columns between the range Rng_where and the range ...

Evaluation Copy
I've having difficulty obtaining a copy of an EVAL for this product. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? All I've found is a CD that contains flash demos. Thanks in advance. Any reseller can provide an evaluation copy. To locate a reseller in you area, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/mbs/retail/detail.mspx Click the "Buy" button. At the bottom of this page, there is a link to find a reseller in your area. Just put in your zip code and select "Retail Management" and you should get a list of local and national resellers to p...

Formula evaluates to #VALUE
I am computing the days between dates. I am using Vlookup() to capture the appropriate dates in another worksheet. Basically it is this (where B2 & C2 are in another sheet): B2 C2 D2 1/1/06 1/20/06 19 (C2-B2) 1/1/06 2/1/06 31 3/1/06 empty -38777 if C is empty and B is present I get a large negative number empty 3/15/06 38791 if C is present and B is empty, I get a large positive number empty empty 0 if both C and B are empty, I get 0 NA empty #VALUE! If either C or B is a t...

Evaluation Mode?
I have my RMS at work, which is running fine...I also installed RMS at home, to fool around with, the time has expried, would I have any issues if I took the dongle from work for a day brought it home, plugged it into the home computer and took it back to work say the next day, a few hours after business opened? -- Thank You Vince :) This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_049B_01C6A11C.CF095790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Vince, Yes, that would work, but a better option; Make a backup ...

EVALUATE Function
I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find much information on Excel's EVALUATE Function. I see it being used but don't seem to have it in my function list with Excel 2003. Can someone provide an explanation of the EVALUATE function i.e. what it does, a little history, etc. Thanks for your help. Hi Frank, Evaluate is not a function, hence u can't see it in the function list. It is a formula auditing tool, located in Tools > Formula Auditing > Evaluate Formula (EF) . Basicaly if you enter a formula in a cell and use the EF it will show you exactly h...

Viso 2003 evaluation
Why oh why, do I get 'page not found' when I try to order/download the evaluation copy? I believe it's because the evaluation period is over. You have to purchase the full version now... The beta is indeed complete, but MS will be providing a trial (evaluation) version soo. Randall Arnold "Daniel L. Belton" <abuse@spam.gov> wrote in message news:Q5Inb.27657$oC5.3758@clmboh1-nws5.columbus.rr.com... > I believe it's because the evaluation period is over. You have to purchase > the full version now... ...

Evaluating features
I am just beginning the process of evaluating GP, SL, and Nav, where can I get a list of the features included in the various modules like GL or AR or AP? The description on the msn sight is rather generic so I'd like to see something more concrete that can help me evaluate what the product can do. Do I need to contact MSN in order to get a more detailed list of features? Thanks. Hi, Each has its own special features. If you could be more precise on what you are looking for, then I can probably tell you something. However you have to remember that all these will be merging to bec...

evaluating a string
hello all I have a string in a cell as follows '=10+1+2+3 I have put ' (single quote) to make sure that excel doesnt calculate the formual. now in the next cell i want value of this formula, ie 16 (10+1+2+3), can we do this without writing macros? Imran This result of google search might help. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions/browse_thread/thread/8cab2db731c3ed41/3f90f396e45c263f?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#3f90f396e45c263f "Imran" <imran.ar@in.bosch.com> wrote in message news:easfmk$b15$1@news4.fe.internet.bos...

Evaluate command
I received a suggestion to use the Evaluate function in a prior note (subject "named range question") and it works well. One problem, the evaluate command does not seem to recalculate when related cells are changed. I have to stimulate that recalculation by clicking the cell then clicking OK from the formula bar. No information for the Evaluate function seems to be available in Excel Help. I tried F9 but it still does not recalculate. Any ideas? Post exactly what you are using in your spreadsheet. The issue that you are running up against is how Excel's smart calc wo...

Synchronizing and data evaluation
Hi, One of our customers found a possible & serious logical problem that might result banning the offline -functionalities from users. When users sync data from offline db to online database the data gets evaluated and the most fresh data by timestamp wins. Any data inputted online will use timestamp value from 'on save' -events 'modified on' -field for possible future evaluation. Problem is that data typed offline will get the evaluation timestamp from "Synced On" rather than "Modified On". Example: User 1 modified account "XYZ" yesterday ...

Evaluate problem
This is an excerpt from some working code: With Workbooks("stations.xls").Sheets("Sheet1") Here = ActiveWorkbook.Name: .Activate ' See what is going on StationRow = Application.Match(EndStation, .Range("$A$1:$A$298"), 0) s = .Cells(StationRow, OfficeHoursCol).Formula s = Evaluate(GetSub(s, "^=HYPERLINK.(.*), .Hours..$", "$1")) TxURL s When I comment the "Here = ..." line, the "s = Evaluate..." does not work as intended. When "Sheet1" is active "A40" is a reference to a c...

Formula evaluation
Can someone review the following formula and tell me why I am getting the #Value error? =IF(Spacg>8,(FULL/VLOOKUP(TYPE,ProductData,6,FALSE)/((Spacg/8)))+(BBGROUT+BEAM*EA*QTY)+(((IF(ISBLANK(LINTEL),HALF*Setup!$C$15,HALF*Setup!$C$17))+(Setup!$C$19*CORNERS/2))/VLOOKUP(TYPE,ProductData,6,FALSE)),BBGROUT),IF(Spacg<16,(LENGTH*HEIGHT*QTY*EA*1.125)/VLOOKUP(TYPE,ProductData,6,FALSE)) The problem seems to be in the 2nd part of the formula from IF(Spacg<16,(LENGTH*HEIGHT*QTY*EA*1.125)/VLOOKUP(TYPE,ProductData,6,FALSE)). The spacg>8 represents numbers 16, 24, 32, 48, etc so if the spacg i...