Degrees Minutes Decimal Minutes to Decimal Degrees.

Hi All,

I have got a worksheet with cells like:

E174 36.992

I need to get that into decimal degrees like

E174.61653

Is there a way to do this with a forumla? I start with find, left,
right functions, but I ended up parenthesis hell.

Cheers

-Al
0
Al

"Al" <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have got a worksheet with cells like:
> E174 36.992
> I need to get that into decimal degrees like
> E174.61653

One way:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) &
TEXT(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))/60,".00000")

> I need to get that into decimal degrees like
>
> E174.61653
>
> Is there a way to do this with a forumla? I start with find, left,
> right functions, but I ended up parenthesis hell.
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

0
Joe
3/18/2010 8:30:14 AM
=LEFT(A2)&TEXT(MID(A2,2,FIND(" ",A2)-2)+RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND("
",A2))/60,"#.00000")
--
David Biddulph

"Al" <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have got a worksheet with cells like:
>
> E174 36.992
>
> I need to get that into decimal degrees like
>
> E174.61653
>
> Is there a way to do this with a forumla? I start with find, left,
> right functions, but I ended up parenthesis hell.
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

0
David
3/18/2010 8:30:14 AM
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Al <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have got a worksheet with cells like:
>
>E174 36.992
>
>I need to get that into decimal degrees like
>
>E174.61653
>
>Is there a way to do this with a forumla? I start with find, left,
>right functions, but I ended up parenthesis hell.
>
>Cheers
>
>-Al

=MID(A1,2,FIND(" ",A1)-2)+MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,99)/60

--ron
0
Ron

Minutes
Hi there, I have a timesheet which works out working hours e.g. Time in 8:52 time out 12.00 the answer is 3.13 so I then manually calculate the minute bit 0.13*60 which equals 8 minutes. Is there any clever way to calculate this to show hours and minutes? TIA -- Bobby a2 =3D 8:52 b2 =3D 12:00 c2 =3D b2-a2 Steve On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:06:02 +0100, Bobby = <Bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > I have a timesheet which works out working hours e.g. Time in 8:52 tim= e = > out > 12.00 the answer is 3.13 so I then manually calculate the minute b...

My picture on my screen has rotated 90 degrees
I had to put my monitor on its side to view my screen. How do I rotate my screen so I can view it normally Do you have Pivot software? Look at the software that came with your graphics card, it usually has this setting. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "radbaer" <radbaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AACB9C18-80D6-449E-8DC1-578605FC8701@microsoft.com... >I had to put my monitor on its side to view my screen. How do I rotate my > screen so I can view it normally radbaer...

How can I use minutes and seconds
I'm trying to create a spreadsheet (Excel97) to calculate average handl time for a call center. Each entry will be in minutes and seconds. N matter what cell format I seem to choose, it just converts the entr into a time of day, which is not what I need. I want to enter the data as follows. 8:14 - (this would be 8 mintues, 14 seconds) I'd like to be able to sum and average the numbers as well (all i minutes and seconds), but getting the format correct is causin difficulty. Any help would be most appreciated, thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It works fin...

Convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree,
Need formulae to convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree, Minutes, Seconds format. I have the following: Lattitude data of 0.1741463938 and to convert to decimal degrees, I muliply by 180 which gives me decimal degrees of 31.3463508840. Now I need to convert to a Degree, Minute, Seconds format (N34* 50' 56.04"). Note: the '*' represents the 'degree' symbol - did not know how to display the symbol. Need to also display whether 'N' (North) or 'S' (South) based on actual coordinate. For Longitude, I have data of -0.4758427618 *1...

Summation: Difference in Decimal
I am computing this simple computation but when i am on the summation i got to have a difference in the decimal places. i compare my computation with a calculator and excel..How can i solve this simple problem. the situation is this. I formated the cell into currency and a two decimal places only. Can you help me figure this problem? Thank you "Mels" <Mels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am computing this simple computation but when i am on the > summation i got to have a difference in the decimal places. > [....] > I formated the cell into curr...

When using general format for a cell, numbers appear with decimals
I'm working in a new workbook. When I type in a number like 535, it shows up in the cell as 5.35 The format of the cell is General and not number. Even the example that shows up when looking at the cell format shows the decimal. This shouldn't be happening. Any suggestions? I may have found it. The tools/options/Edit tab Fixed decimal checkbox..... "Simmian" wrote: > I'm working in a new workbook. > > When I type in a number like 535, it shows up in the cell as 5.35 > > The format of the cell is General and not number. Even the example that...

How to minus Angle (Degree-Minute-Second)
Hello all! Do you know any function to calculate the angle? For exemple I would like to calculate: 10d5'27"-9d52'28"=? or 9d12'14"+2d19'20"=? (d=Degree, ' = Minute, " = Second) Thanks in advance Rithy Hi Rithy, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Rithy Chhan" <012973110@mobitel.com.kh> wrote in message news:uhnP8iocGHA.5116@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... | Hello all! | | Do you know any function to calculate the angle? For exemple I would like to | calculate: 10d5'27"-9d52'28"...

Degrees Minutes Decimal Minutes to Decimal Degrees.
Hi All, I have got a worksheet with cells like: E174 36.992 I need to get that into decimal degrees like E174.61653 Is there a way to do this with a forumla? I start with find, left, right functions, but I ended up parenthesis hell. Cheers -Al "Al" <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote: > I have got a worksheet with cells like: > E174 36.992 > I need to get that into decimal degrees like > E174.61653 One way: =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) & TEXT(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))/60,".00000") ----- original messa...

format and decimals in control text
Hi format and decimals in a text box do not seem to work as expected. I can set format to general number or leave it blank and decimals to 0 or 1, makes no difference, I get 1 decimal in some text boxes and no decimals in others. the decimals are not rounded off either, they can be .3 or .9. does anyone know why and how to deal with this problem? regards LP wrote: >format and decimals in a text box do not seem to work as expected. >I can set format to general number or leave it blank and decimals to 0 or 1, >makes no difference, I get 1 decimal in some text boxes and no decimals...

Minutes multiplied by a number to give a number
I am designing a spreadsheet for work and want to keep track of how many items have not been produced due to tool down time. If i have a target of e.g.100 per hour and the tool is down for e.g. 2hours (02:00) how can i write this in a formula to show that i have lost 2 hours which would equal 200 displayed in a column in this example. If you pout the time the tool is down in A1 using time format hh:mm and if the produced is normally 100 per hour you can use =A1*1440*100/60 formatted as general NOT time you might want to round it to the nearest integer since if you put in 2:25 it will...

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...

convert imported data with . separator for decimal into , separato
I imported decimal data into excel, unfortunately the decimal separator is . which excel does not recognize. How can I convert it into , Kris Have you tried using the Replace tool in the Edit Menu? -- Regards... "kris" wrote: > I imported decimal data into excel, > > unfortunately the decimal separator is . which excel does not recognize. How > can I convert it into , > > Kris ...

Chat starting in 20 minutes
Apologies for the short notice. Our Open Forum live chat is starting soon. You can ask questions on any Microsoft Dynamics RMS topic. To join the room, click the EnterChatRoom link on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx If you want to participate in future chats, you can get more information on this site: http://www.microsoft.com/msrms/customer Chats happen the first Thursday of each month unless otherwise noted, at 10 a.m. Pacific time. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and it confers no rights. ...

Can I use Excel to add hours and minutes like keeping a dive log?
yes. You may want to format the total cell as: [hh]:mm BobL wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Formatting Cells to Show Numbers as Degrees?
Can I format a cell or an entire coulmn for that matter to show a number format in degrees? We are setting up a spreadsheet that must be automatically updated as new info is entered and some of the information must be shown in degrees. Is there a symbol for this or a way this can be customized? I have access to Excel 97 and Excel 2000. Thanks to do this you have to first determine how you want it to look. I'm going to use the metric system for the exampl Supposing you want it to say. 30 °C and you have the number 30 in the column 1. highlight the entire colum 2. right click an...

how to change radians to degrees in Excel 2003?
how do i change radian to degrees on microsoft excel 2003???????? I would start by going to Help and typing radians degrees into the search box. When I did that, I came up with two functions, RADIANS and DEGREES. On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:31:03 -0800, sfgsdg <sfgsdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do i change radian to degrees on microsoft excel 2003???????? On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:31:03 -0800, sfgsdg wrote: > how do i change radian to degrees on microsoft excel 2003???????? DEGREES(angle_in_radians) -- Mike H Look at the degrees function or use =180/PI())*Cell where ...

Tracking Hours and Minutes
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes. I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time, Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45 -for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a length of time. Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and minutes over a week? Thanks, Jay Format as time with a custom format: [hh]:mm the square brackets will keep hours f...

10-Minute-SEO-Guide
Despite the many articles, Blogs, and books written on the topic, there are really only three main areas of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)=96and I can explain them all in just 10 minutes! http://seo-urdu.blogspot.com/2010/10/10-minute-seo-guide.html ...

decimal point position for less than 1 million
I have a chart based on a worksheet with values both above and below 1,000,000. The chart labels show values above 1 million correctly (e.g., 2,500,000 is represented as 2.5 M) but for values under 1 million, it puts the decimal point after the "M" rather than befor the number (e.g., 520,000 should be represented as .52 M, but instead looks like "52M." Anyone know how to correct this? Thanks! -- BethG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ BethG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36510 View ...

converting degrees into degrees, minutes and seconds
I have data in the format eg 179.95 I need to convert this from the decimal format into degrees, minutes and seconds I can do this manually (0.95/100)*60 gives me the minutes value of 0.57 answer is 179 degrees 57 minutes 0 seconds Any help with a formula would be much appreciate Thx in advance Hi Ajay, For a visually correct output, simply divide the angle by 24 and apply a custom time format: [h]� mm' ss'' where angle is designated as hours ([h]) and a degree symbol (�) created via Alt-0176, the mm is designated with a single tick mark ('), and the seconds are designated wi...

Limit number of email send out in a minute
Hi, Would like to know whether it's possible to control number of email send out by exchange within certain timeframe. For example, every one minute, only 100 email can be sent out, subsequent 100 email will be send in the next minute, and so on. The objective is try to limit and avoid spam email send out from internal. Thanks On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:11:44 +0800, "Keira" <keira@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Would like to know whether it's possible to control number of email send out >by exchange within certain timeframe. For example, every one minut...

Formatting axis decimals
I have a chart that uses a log scale on the X axis. The axis values range from 0.1 to 100. I'd like to have them displayed as 0.1, 1, 10, and 100 (i.e., any number greater than or equal to 1 should not display any decimals). If I specify 0 decimals then the 0.1 displays only as 0; however, if I specify 1 decimal then the axis values are displayed as 0.1, 1.0, 10.0, and 100.0. Thanks, Don Culp On the Number tab under Format Axis, choose General, rather than Number -- David Biddulph "Don Culp" <dculp@krell-engineering.com> wrote in message news:%23nZOCCkVHHA.3568@TK2MS...

Radians and Degrees #2
Is there a way to set your Excel program to default to radian angl measurements -- brett409 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- brett4098's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=451 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27533 On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:18:32 -0600, brett4098 <brett4098.1f7ija@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >Is there a way to set your Excel program to default to radian angle >measurements? That *is* the default (and the only way, to the best of my knowledge)....

Outlook slowdown
Everything was fine for years, then suddenly it just started taking 5 to 10 minutes to start up. It's literally "go away and make a cup of coffee" - that's what I do. I tried everything I could think of, searched help, google ...etc... nothing worked. I tried taking away the pst file and making it work with a completely empty one. It took just as long to start. I bought a new state of the art pc and transferred my stuff over, thinking "this will do it" - but horror, even after upgrading to Office 2003, and rebuilding the pst to the new database format, Outlo...

Decimal to Minutes
Is there a format or formula to convert a decimal to time? An example would be .5 would be 30 (minutes), .75 would be 45 (minutes), etc. The Workbook is relatively large so any method would have to easily apply to thousands of numbers, versus simply manually converting one cell at a time. Regards, Gary It's easier than you think Gary, since 1 is one day in Excel which is 24 hours, so one hour is 1/24 just divide by 24 =A1/24 where A1 holds 0.5 then the important thing is to format the cell with the formula as either hh:mm:ss or [hh}mm:ss (the latter allows for displaying...