date format error in cell

I have one cell that for some reason even though the format is set to
general, when i put in say 2007-2011 i get a pop up box that says date
format error. the issue is that this is the only cell in the entire
column with this issue.

this is a file exported out of SAP to Excel with VBA code in the
background. then we insert two columns next to a date column. so the
new columns are picking up that format. what i don't understand is why
when i change the format the top cell still doesn't work.

any ideas?
0
pat67

On Mar 23, 11:07=A0am, pat67 <pbus...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have one cell that for some reason even though the format is set to
> general, when i put in say 2007-2011 i get a pop up box that says date
> format error. the issue is that this is the only cell in the entire
> column with this issue.
>
> this is a file exported out of SAP to Excel with VBA code in the
> background. then we insert two columns next to a date column. so the
> new columns are picking up that format. what i don't understand is why
> when i change the format the top cell still doesn't work.
>
> any ideas?

I have it figured out. for some reason, the data validation for only
the top cell in the column i am inserting next to was set to a date. i
removed it and now it's fine.
0
pat67

House account limits, and another Run time error
I need unlimited $$ accounts for in house charges that are tender types, not for customers that we create for mailorders and such. These house charges are meant for other departments within our company. Ideas? Run time error '-2147467259(80004005)'. [DBNETLIB][connetionWrite (wrapperWrite()).] General newtork error. Check your network documentation. ---what could this mean??--- You'd want to be careful of accounting ramifications, but you can do this: 1. Set up a new account type, say "InHouse". (Database > Account Types > New -- settings within may not...

filter by date and action

Service Version Error
In loading old .pst file to my current outlook, It stopped with one error message as follows: "The version of d:\outlook\bakcup\old_recieved_mailbox.pst is different from that of the Personal folder information service. Call Administrator " - this msg is translated from korean to english version.... Whoever know the cause of this outlook processing. Thanks & Regards. Hrha PS: Thank you if someone send the exact answer to my mail, hrha@jeilbank.co.kr" ...

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

Error using offset
compile error: invalid or unqualified reference Sub APPLES() 'COPY OP FNAME & PASTE Sheets("Correct").Select Range("g2").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Errors").Select Range("AA6500").Select Selection.End(xlUp).Select .Offset(1, 0).Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _ False, Transpose:=False Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub The line > .Offset(1, 0).Select needs to q...

LF displays as square box in cell
I have some cells with text where the LF (line feed) displays as a square box. Searching the web for this scenario suggests that turning on Word Wrap should eliminate this display but it does not in my case. Also, not all LFs in the cell display as a square box and one of my co- workers does not see the behaviour when he opens the file on his PC (another co-worker does see the problem). The text has been downloaded from a SQL query and I'm using Excel 2007/ WinXP. Any suggestions on how to clean up the view of the cells with this text? On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:20:38 -0800 (PST), John <...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

IF Function Format -- Microsoft Query
I am attempting to pull data from SQL data table into Excel for pivot table. Field_1 is a value; always positive. Field_2 is a text flag; either "C" or"D". Depending on the flag in Field_2; Field_1 is either positive or negative. What is the format of the entry in Microsoft Query so that a Field_3 can accurately be calculated? In Excel I would entry =if(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1). In Access, the function would be IIF(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1) Unfortunately I have no idea whether it will work with your SQL data. If that fails, you can a...

truncating data within a cell for an entire column
Hi, I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average function to the entire column? Thanks, vlapi vlapi wrote: > Hi, > I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three > alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric > chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average > function to the entire column? > Thanks, >...

Post Dated Checks

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

Run-time error for objects deletion
Hi, I have made a list of option button. When I select a particular option, the excel should identify and delete the previous object names starting with "onstrfr". However, when it identifies the correct obj name "onstrfr", the obj.Delete gives "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error". I'll be grateful if someone can help me to solve this problem. Loy === FROM Sheet1======= Private Sub on3wdgtrfroption_Click() Call Sheet2.Deleteonstrfr Call Sheet2.OnshoreTrfr(myValue, 2) End Sub ===From Sh...

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

if statement with dates #2

printing error handling issue? (when clicking cancel get 2501 error)
I have a report that when it is closed the DoCmd RunCommand acCmdPrint occurs ... but of course if the user clicks cancel, it gives me a 2501 error. How & where do I put code to surpress this error. I would just the close even to run the DoCmd RunCommand acCmdPrint and if cancel is selected just continue to close the report? TIA, _Bigred I understand that I have to do this, I actually don't understand HOW to do it, and where to put code to accomplish this?? 1) What code do I use? 2) Where do I put the code? Thanks, _Bigred "Duane Hookom" <duanehookom@NO_...

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

Wait condition and custom workflow stay waiting (error)
I have a custom workflow that update a field in a custom entity and it works fine but I need to delay its execution and for that I used a wait condition previous a this custom workflow. When the workflow (with a wait condition) exceute stay waiting and throw an error and in the table Workflowlog in the database show me the error -2147220970 (System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Type 'System.ComponentModel.Container' ..... ) Anyone can help me with this issue ? -- Pablo Choy Analyst Developer A full error message and detail information about the workflow defin...

Underlined formatting comments in Word 2003
Some days ago I got some good tips from readers in this forum, re unwanted red colored, underlined, formatting comments in plain documents. Comments which I printed, but somehow have lost. These comments have now popped up in some other document. When I am inside this document, it seems as if I really managed to get rid of the formatting comments. Then I save the document in normal way, then exit from Word 2003. Next when I open up the same document, those underlined comments come up again. Feel like a little swearing !! -- ___________ Knut Willy Double-click TR...

Counting Dates?

error message 12-14-09
nearly every day I get this error message. I do not receive any emails. I have to log out of the email program, and go back into it. The error message I receive is ; 'An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0148' -- S.a.s.t.news What antivirus program are you using? Antivirus programs are the most common cause of problems such as that. "sastnews" <sastnews@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90B428DB-1F76-49D0-BE2E-558B036A5FFD@microsoft.com... > nearly every day I get this er...