Counting Multiple Records by specific criteria

Hi,

I'm having problems getting the right formula to suit what I need.

Basically I have a large spreadsheet containing many records and I want to
count the number of records that meet three specific types of criteria.

e.g.

Column A = Type
Column B = Status
Column C = Ref No. (i.e. 1.06)

The above columns have many different entries, therefore I would like to
count the number of records which meet the following criteria.  No of Records
= Type A, Status X, Ref 1.06.

I have used SUMProduct, CountIF and etc but I don't seem to be doing it
correctly.

I have done this using PivotTables but I would like to add this formula to
another data table, hence the formulae question.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,
try

=SUMPRODUCT((a1:a4="A")*(b1:b4="X")*(c1:c4=1.06))

change range to fit your needs, range has to be the same in every part of
the formula.
I checked and is working for me

"Nick" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems getting the right formula to suit what I need.
>
> Basically I have a large spreadsheet containing many records and I want to
> count the number of records that meet three specific types of criteria.
>
> e.g.
>
> Column A = Type
> Column B = Status
> Column C = Ref No. (i.e. 1.06)
>
> The above columns have many different entries, therefore I would like to
> count the number of records which meet the following criteria.  No of Records
> = Type A, Status X, Ref 1.06.
>
> I have used SUMProduct, CountIF and etc but I don't seem to be doing it
> correctly.
>
> I have done this using PivotTables but I would like to add this formula to
> another data table, hence the formulae question.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Try something like this...

Use cells to hold the criteria to be counted:

E1 = some Type like A
F1 = some Status lkke X
G1 = some Ref No. like 1.06

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=E1),--(B1:B100=F1),--(C1:C100=G1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems getting the right formula to suit what I need.
>
> Basically I have a large spreadsheet containing many records and I want to
> count the number of records that meet three specific types of criteria.
>
> e.g.
>
> Column A = Type
> Column B = Status
> Column C = Ref No. (i.e. 1.06)
>
> The above columns have many different entries, therefore I would like to
> count the number of records which meet the following criteria.  No of
> Records
> = Type A, Status X, Ref 1.06.
>
> I have used SUMProduct, CountIF and etc but I don't seem to be doing it
> correctly.
>
> I have done this using PivotTables but I would like to add this formula to
> another data table, hence the formulae question.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Thank you.....I was very close to getting it right.

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Hi,
> try
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((a1:a4="A")*(b1:b4="X")*(c1:c4=1.06))
>
> change range to fit your needs, range has to be the same in every part of
> the formula.
> I checked and is working for me
>
> "Nick" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having problems getting the right formula to suit what I need.
> >
> > Basically I have a large spreadsheet containing many records and I want to
> > count the number of records that meet three specific types of criteria.
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > Column A = Type
> > Column B = Status
> > Column C = Ref No. (i.e. 1.06)
> >
> > The above columns have many different entries, therefore I would like to
> > count the number of records which meet the following criteria.  No of Records
> > = Type A, Status X, Ref 1.06.
> >
> > I have used SUMProduct, CountIF and etc but I don't seem to be doing it
> > correctly.
> >
> > I have done this using PivotTables but I would like to add this formula to
> > another data table, hence the formulae question.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.

Actually, this is a lot better for me to use as I seem to have a issue around
ref number in the formula.  Using the below counts the correct figures.

> Actually, this is a lot better for me to use as I seem to have a issue
> around
> ref number in the formula.  Using the below counts the correct figures.
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance.
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Try something like this...
>>
>> Use cells to hold the criteria to be counted:
>>
>> E1 = some Type like A
>> F1 = some Status lkke X
>> G1 = some Ref No. like 1.06
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=E1),--(B1:B100=F1),--(C1:C100=G1))
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm having problems getting the right formula to suit what I need.
>> >
>> > Basically I have a large spreadsheet containing many records and I want
>> > count the number of records that meet three specific types of criteria.
>> >
>> > e.g.
>> >
>> > Column A = Type
>> > Column B = Status
>> > Column C = Ref No. (i.e. 1.06)
>> >
>> > The above columns have many different entries, therefore I would like
>> > count the number of records which meet the following criteria.  No of
>> > Records
>> > = Type A, Status X, Ref 1.06.
>> >
>> > I have used SUMProduct, CountIF and etc but I don't seem to be doing it
>> > correctly.
>> >
>> > I have done this using PivotTables but I would like to add this formula
>> > another data table, hence the formulae question.
>> >
>> > Many thanks in advance.
>> >

>> .

Using form to enter "query criteria" (between values)
Good morning everyone, I want to create a form with two boxes, where first box is lower limit of the value and the second upper limit. This values should be used in my query as filter criteria. Like this (query filter criteria): > "textbox1" AND < "textbox2" Does anyone know how I can build this in a form (i.e. connect my textboxes and query criteria)? Kindly, Mikael Sweden By thinking about for another minute I found the (simple) answer. In the query criteria I put the following expression: BETWEEN [forms].[nameofform].[NameofDatefield1] AND [forms].[name...

Pivot table and counting.

Downloading Bank Transactions Multiple Times (MSM2003)
If you download transactions from your bank (or whatever) multiple times -- say downloading all transactions several times a month -- will Money (2003 in my case) recognize that this has been done and ignore the duplicates, or will it just require matching and/or reconcilliation each time. I'd like to keep my Money records up-to-date (i.e., not wait to the end of the month) without having to keep track of which transactions have or have not been downloaded. Currently, I download to a file all transactions for a given statement cycle each month on or after the statement closing date. This...

Cycle Counting

Count

Line count

Cell extraction from Multiple worksheets
Hi group, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping that you can help me out. I took a software/hardware inventory of all the computers in my work's network and imported them all into excel, in their own worksheet. So I have one file, with 128 different worksheets, all containing similar information. What I would like to do is create a new sheet, a summary page, where I can pull the value of the same cell from each sheet and list them. I need to have a list of each computer, with computer name, cpu speed, video card, serial number, ect. If the values that I am searching for are in the same...

multiple digits in a combobox
hello, i have an mfc CCombobox, which is populated with numeric data. For example: 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 14 18 i would like to user to be able to type 14 and have 14 selected. Currently when the user types 1 the box selects 10 and then when they type the 4, the 4 is selected. I currently have the object type set to Drop List. If I change to Drop Down, then 14 can be selected as described, but I dont want the user to be able to enter any numbers that arent in the list. For example, if they were to try to type 13, i want it to stay on 10. any ideas? are there any custom comboboxes that already...

Counting sales

Multiple Scheduling
I have a pocket pc with outlook that I use to follow my school schedule. The only problem is there are 4 different types of schedule each in the same order but the class lengths are different. In addition, another problem is that there is no order to when the occur. Is there a way where I can toggle between two or more different recurring schedule? Thank you for your help Jonathan ...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...

Count Problem
Hi I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits" All the cells have a formula in them. The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a different worksheet called "Names" ie: =Names!A1 = Names!A2 etc etc I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the sheet called "Audits" At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously...

Multiple "SUM IF" functions in one formula??
I know it can be done, Excel can do anything but I'm not sure if I can even explain it. For example, I want column D2 to display a qty IF a customer number equals a specific value AND a part number equals a specific value. Basically Column A is a list of part numbers, and Row 1 is a list of customers. I need to pull how many parts each customer has ordered. Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dax" <dax.tipton@smc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:593e3ca7.0408301337.7b8f6a35@posting.google.com... > I ...

Displaying proper web site for record
Hi, I would like to have the proper web site display inside the Web Browser control on a form when I am navigating through records. The url is in a text field with the table associated with the form. So far I have only been able to get the web site to appear by visibly placing the url on the form in a text and using a on click event as such: Private Sub Homepage_Click() WebBrowser2.Navigate (Homepage.Text) End Sub Not very elegant but I cannot figure how to get access to do this on its own when I change records. Thanks for the help, Steve. Steve, try setting your textbox format...

script the save of multiple attachments with the same name!
Hi all. Due to a short sighted process that I did not design, I get a single text file everyday that has the same name called "daily.txt." So I have like a three-hundred of these emails, and I would like to use a script to save them from email to a file on my harddrive, preferably with a name thats based on the date that email attachment was received. If that date thing is not possible, I would be happy just to get the files saved off with a unique name for each. Any one help? These samples show various ways to save attachments:=20 http://www.fontstuff.com/outlook/oltut01.htm h...

How can I search for and display actual record numbers in Access?
I have a form that has several fields to save data in for achieve purposes. I also have a search form that pulls that data and displays it, each in an individual line. It would be ideal to be able to click on a search result and then on the main form have that record be displayed. I do not know how to do that, so I was hoping to just be able to display the record number in the search results so that you can just type it in the main form and go right to that record number. I am unable to do that either, I tried several combinations of displaying something like me.currentrecord for ...

unique or distinct count from xml
How to get a unique count from a xml <Orders> <Order ID="1111" Amount="200"></Order> <Order ID= "2222" Amount="10"></Order> <Order ID="3333" Amount="5"></Order> <Order ID="1111" Amount="20"></Order> </Orders> The result should be 3 unique count and the 4 Order Id counts. How can i get using XPathNodeIterator using Compile,Execute with a XPathNavigator thanks you bhu The XPath expression for that is count(Orders/Order[not(@ID=preceding-sibling::Or...

Calender Excel July
I want to set up a multiple year callener for Jule to June also with weeks 1 to 52 . Is it possible and can you help or just send me a templete. Being as you are posti ng through the discussions web site no one could send you a template even if they wanted to. What do you want your calender to do? -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1173A604-9C5D-450E-ACD2-6E21141CD12F@microsoft.com......

list with multiple repeated data
Hi, i have a column with a list of numers and letters, unsorted. the data in this column can be repeated, it goes like this Col1 054T 034K 056L 045L 045N 054T 076H 034K 045L I Need a way that this codes are copied into another column (col2) but only once. if the code is 2 or more times in col1 it should be only once in col2. is there a formula that allows me to do this on the fly wothout recording any macro? the result shoul look like this: Col2 054T 034K 056L 045L 045N 076H all the codes are in col1, but they appear only once in Col2 Sorry to bother. Thanks for all Arturo Data|Fil...

Replace Count
I am using this routine to replace characters in a large text string. I would like to know how many replacements have been made. This is a generalized routine for experimenting. If I set lReplCount = 1, I can get a count but it takes over one minute to run. If I set lReplCount = -1, it takes about 20 mSec but I get no count (except 1). Is there any way to get speed and the replace count? I would be happy with a few seconds and an accurate count. Do If InStr(1, sText, vbCr & vbCr) > 0 Then lChangeCount = lChangeCount + 1 ...