counting colored data

I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
color.

Rather than counting color (which you can't do w/o VB), count the cells
using same criteria as your conditional formats.
e.g.
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100>0),--(A2:A100<=10))

Would count everything within A2:A100 that is greater than zero and less
than or equal to 10.

other example:
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<0)+(A2:A100>10))

Would count everything within A2:A100 that is less than 0 or greater than
10.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"lmiller" <lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within
> certain
> limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know
> if
> there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There
> are
> numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to
> do
> so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a
> certain
> color.

0
Luke
4/1/2010 3:05:28 PM
Hi,

You can't count the colours with a worksheet function but you can get the
count you want by directly checking the numbers. tell us the number limits
and someone will help
--
Mike

question.

"lmiller" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> color.
Hi,
See CPearson web for counting colors

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

"lmiller" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> color.
Are the coloprs the result of Conditional Formatting?

Count based on those conditions.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:45:02 -0700, lmiller
<lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
>the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
>limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
>there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
>spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
>numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
>so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
>color.

0
Gord
4/1/2010 3:30:38 PM
what?

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Hi,
> See CPearson web for counting colors
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
>
> "lmiller" wrote:
>
> > I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> > color.
Thanks Mike,

Each cell has a conditional format.  I posted an excert from my worksheet
but unfortunatly the data didn't come over color coded for you to see.  For
sake of argument let say the first column is red and the remaining colums are
green.  Each cell has a conditional format.  If the # doesn't falls between
certain limits it prints in red.  If it does fall between certain number it
prints in green.    Instead of manually counting all the red numbers, I
wanted to try and do a count based on my conditional format.   Each row has
it's own limits and the worksheet contains about 100 rows    but I need an
overall "red" count.  It's quite cumbersome to manually count and I thought
the formual would be extremely long.

0.180	0.184	0.113	0.111
0.173	0.177	0.113	0.119
0.846	0.751	0.075	0.050

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can't count the colours with a worksheet function but you can get the
> count you want by directly checking the numbers. tell us the number limits
> and someone will help
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "lmiller" wrote:
>
> > I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> > color.
Luke

I have thought about what you have suggested.  Below is just an exert from
my worksheet.  Each row has it's own limit to tell whether the number should
print a certain way.  For example  row #1  if # falls between .10 and .15
print in green if not print red.       row #2 if # falls bewteen .00 and .10
print green if not print red.

My formula to write would take just as long than to manually count.  Unless
I am looking at it totally wrong.  Any other suggestions or help?

Thank you so much!!!!!

0.173	0.177	0.113	0.119	0.119	0.116
0.846	0.751	0.075	0.050	0.078	0.082
0.626	0.640	0.031	0.060	0.072	0.074
3.799	4.347	1.187	0.903	1.488	1.118
3.520	3.913	2.593	2.638	1.824	2.049
0.267	0.312	0.263	0.316	0.281	0.247
0.336	0.351	0.271	0.279	0.219	0.204
-0.075	-0.119	-0.349	-0.334	-0.061	-0.180
1.557	1.460	1.318	1.276	1.405	1.400
0.264	0.272	0.282	0.269	0.272	0.266
0.296	0.309	0.286	0.298	0.304	0.289
0.431	0.441	0.457	0.297	0.444	0.440
0.395	0.593	0.418	0.550	0.564	0.489
0.605	0.536	0.374	0.415	0.559	0.519
0.456	0.474	0.435	0.382	0.506	0.377
0.894	0.860	0.885	0.864	0.878	0.882
0.154	-0.093	0.139	0.089	0.082	0.147
0.728	0.767	0.749	0.729	0.714	0.648
0.680	0.668	0.688	0.670	0.691	0.690
0.240	0.031	0.180	0.064	0.079	0.171
0.731	0.901	0.793	0.755	0.788	0.639
0.934	1.017	0.893	0.809	0.798	0.796
-0.156	-0.055	-0.118	0.311	0.076	-0.006
-0.540	-0.758	-0.463	-0.503	-0.501	-0.529
0.654	0.385	0.402	0.486	0.442	0.492
1.786	1.212	1.914	1.751	2.050	1.416
-1.731	-1.760	-1.012	-1.167	-0.893	-0.736
3.790	3.711	1.290	1.550	1.210	1.281
-0.403	-0.432	-0.568	-0.660	-0.550	-0.357
0.546	0.714	0.271	0.298	0.247	0.221
0.319	0.494	0.233	0.247	0.178	0.184
-1.731	-1.760	-1.012	-1.167	-0.893	-0.736
-0.013	-0.018	-0.007	-0.009	-0.006	-0.004

"Luke M" wrote:

> Rather than counting color (which you can't do w/o VB), count the cells
> using same criteria as your conditional formats.
> e.g.
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100>0),--(A2:A100<=10))
>
> Would count everything within A2:A100 that is greater than zero and less
> than or equal to 10.
>
> other example:
> =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<0)+(A2:A100>10))
>
> Would count everything within A2:A100 that is less than 0 or greater than
> 10.
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "lmiller" <lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within
> > certain
> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know
> > if
> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There
> > are
> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to
> > do
> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a
> > certain
> > color.
>

> .

Hi,

I still think this can be done with a formula but you didn't give us all the
number ranges.

If you want to count conditional format colours then it can be done but it
isn't easy. Bob Philips has a solution here

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html

If you don't fancy this route then post the number limits for each row and
someone will work out a solution.
--
Mike

question.

"lmiller" wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
>
> Each cell has a conditional format.  I posted an excert from my worksheet
> but unfortunatly the data didn't come over color coded for you to see.  For
> sake of argument let say the first column is red and the remaining colums are
> green.  Each cell has a conditional format.  If the # doesn't falls between
> certain limits it prints in red.  If it does fall between certain number it
> prints in green.    Instead of manually counting all the red numbers, I
> wanted to try and do a count based on my conditional format.   Each row has
> it's own limits and the worksheet contains about 100 rows    but I need an
> overall "red" count.  It's quite cumbersome to manually count and I thought
> the formual would be extremely long.
>
> 0.180	0.184	0.113	0.111
> 0.173	0.177	0.113	0.119
> 0.846	0.751	0.075	0.050
>

> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can't count the colours with a worksheet function but you can get the
> > count you want by directly checking the numbers. tell us the number limits
> > and someone will help
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > question.
> >

> > "lmiller" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> > > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> > > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> > > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> > > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> > > color.
Doyou have those boundaries called out somewhere in the row, or did you
manually input them for every row?

I'll assume your criteria are in column A and B, and you've colored cells in
C:G

=SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:G100>A2:A100),--(C2:G100<B2:B100))

--

> [...]
>> "lmiller" <lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain
>> >limits
>> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within
>> > certain
>> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to
>> > know
>> > if
>> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying
>> > the
>> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.
>> > There
>> > are
>> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula
>> > do
>> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a

0
Luke

DATA VALIDATION #64
i have enter all my information in my cells for a drop down list ,but every time i close off the program and restart it the cells have no information in the cells , i then goto the toolbar and the information is still there when i push ok it is available again. should this happen? i thought once you saved it would all stay the same. thanks michael dap ...

Changing data depending on time?
Hi, everyone: Does anyone know if it is possible to change data in a table according to a date? Let's say I would like to change the contents of all fields that are two days old and I would like to Access to do the work. Can Access actually do the check/change automatically? Thanks a lot, Tom On 5 May 2007 10:30:54 -0700, tomasz.cichon@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, everyone: > >Does anyone know if it is possible to change data in a table according >to a date? >Let's say I would like to change the contents of all fields that are >two days old and I would like to Access ...

Data entry work using msoffice
Is anybody have an idea to get some data entry work in Ms office using word or excel, Ms access etc which can work from home. Please it would be very helpful if you can give a good and reliable website for this With thanks Polachan ...

Data Migration 07-07-05
We're planning to replace our current CRM (SalesForce) with MS CRM 1.2 in 3 to 4 months. Any good tools out there for migrating data from SF to MS CRM? Hi, You can use the Migration Tool which is found on the installation CD's. But I believe there are third party tools available from Scribe to do this too. -Mark "HEC" wrote: > We're planning to replace our current CRM (SalesForce) with MS CRM 1.2 in 3 > to 4 months. Any good tools out there for migrating data from SF to MS CRM? I did alot data migration . I can develop component for you for this migrat...

How to send form data to tables programatically
Is there a way to programatically have a form update to the underlying tables? What I mean is... As a user types into a form, Access doesn't seem to actually send that data to the table (and thereby create autonumbers) until user moves on to another record. Is there a way to force that data to the tables (ie make the new records) while the user is still on the form? On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:33:02 -0800, markmarko <markmarko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to programatically have a form update to the underlying tables? > >What I mean is... As a user ...

Getting Excel Data from One Sheet to Another....
Hey Guys, I have the following Excel problem at work and I am not sure how to solve it. Here is the low down: Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job]) Person Job --------------------------------------- Fred ? Fred ? Sam ? Kevin ? Kevin ? Julie ? Excel Sheet #2 Data (First line is the Header - [Person and Job]) Person Job --------------------------------------- Fred Mop Boy Julie Hostess Sam Burger Man Kevin Manager Now here is the situation that I have. Based on the how the "Person" Column corresponds to the "Job" Column in Exce...

Data validation does not seem to work with copy/paste
I have set up some data validation for each cell within a range. When manually enter invalid data in one of those cells, the data validatio works and an error message pops up. When I copy from one cell wit data to another cell, where the data validation results in false, i allows me to paste the value with no error message. Is there any wa to fix this -- LA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46802 ...

Data Validation Question #5
The "Input Message" that can be added to Data Validation, has someho become dissassociated with the cells containing the Data Validation. In normal operation when you select a cell containing DV, the "Inpu Message" appears next to and slighty below the selected cell and the moved as you selected different cells, however on my sheet thos messages appear in a spot well away from the selected cell and don' move when you select a different cell. Is there some way to "re-attach" them to the cells short of removin the DV and putting it back. Thank -- Case -----...

Query to count between list of number (Predicting Start/End that may occur in data range)
Hi, I have a below list of numbers. 566667 566668 566669 566665 566666 566671 566672 566680 I want a query that would return a count between start and end of range. Like Start End Quantity 566665 566669 5 566671 566672 2 566680 566680 1 Thank you. On 2 apr, 07:17, Angela <ims...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a below list of numbers. > > 566667 > 566668 > 566669 > 566665 > 566666 > 566671 > 566672 > 566680 > > I want a query that would return a coun...

How do I make the x axis data the y axis data? #2
My graph automatically makes certain data the y axis and other data the x axis. I need to just reverse it for the graph I am looking for. Any suggestions? Hi Sarah, you can change the Source data of the chart by right- clicking it. There you can define the columns / rows for the x- and the y-axis. Best Markus >-----Original Message----- >My graph automatically makes certain data the y axis and other data the x >axis. I need to just reverse it for the graph I am looking for. Any >suggestions? >. > ...

Can you change the color of only one axis line?
Is it possible to change the color of just one axis line on a chart? It would be nice because then we could mark in red which would allow us to see target values we are shooting for and then see how the actual results measure up. Hi, You can not colour an individual gridline. But here are some examples of how to add a datum line to your chart. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm Cheers Andy Jim Moberg wrote:...

insert text data using function
Hi Guys, I need help on the following matter. Suppose i have two column A and B. Now when i insert some text in the A1 cell i want the data automatically set up in the B1 Cell. Fox example if i type Linux in the A1 cell "Open Source" will be automatically inserted in the B1 cell but if i insert windows "close source" will be inserted autoamtically. I tried with if function but no success. How can i achieve that? Mosaddeq Aziz You need to set up all of your possible data entry values for column A on Sheet2. Then in column B on sheet2, put the values you want aut...

How to count same numbers in a coluum #3
Thanks Dave for the PivotTable links. Fran -- FPA186 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- FPA1869's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1470 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26336 ...

Entering data
Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be locked. In article <15a201c43e09$dbea4e10$3501280a@phx.gbl>, "Alicia Contreras" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be > locked. Hi Alicia, try: Tools > Protect > Unprotect Hope this helps! ...

Sorting Data in a column
I am trying to extract data that is in a single column to split it into 3 columns. The data is cyclic and has 3 variables, a time, a data point and a random number. These simply run abcabcabcabc down the column and i would like to get all of the a's into a column, all of the b's into another column and all of the c's into a third column. any ideas? VBA? Sub Test() Dim iLastRow As Long Dim i As Long iLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row If iLastRow Mod 3 <> 1 Then iLastRow = iLastRow - 1 If iLastRow Mod 3 <> 1 Then iLastRow = iLa...

Using Record Count in an equation
I have a "yes/no" field called Sold. I need to track and report what percent of total solicitations sold. I thought I could use the built in sum feature which provides a record "Count(*)" for each record in a group. However, I dont know how to set up the equation as the control is called the same for each grouping. How do I either use that control or set up a calculated field to count total records and count the number of records with Sold="yes". In the Report Footer section, place a text box with this in its Control Source: = - Sum([Sold]) Th...

Parse(?) data from text file
I have a large text file that has hundresds (or thousands) of compiled questionairres that I want to convert to a more usable format (excel?). Here is what it looks like: ======================== Name: Joe Jones Address: 123 main comment: varies from blank to 20+ lines may have muliple paragraphs others: 8 or 10 other fields =============================== next questionnaire ====================== A couple of details: the separator line of ====s vary in length, the individual questionnaires are not always identical. Some have a couple of extra 'fields'. I envision a separat...

2 Column Data lookup
Hi, I have data in column A, B and C starting from row number 2. Also, I have some data in column P and Q starting from row number 2. The data in A and B TOGETHER constitute a Unique ID. Similarly data in P and Q together constitute a Unique ID. Now based on the data in P and Q I want to look up A and B and return value from C in column R. As of now, I use an inefficient way of building up a helper column in D (D2 = A2 & B2) and S (S2 = P2 and Q2). Then in R2 I write the formula, = =INDEX($C$2:$D$1000,MATCH(S2,$D$2:$D$1000,0),1) Is there a better way of accomplishing the above (an ar...

Vertical Gridlines & Data Marker
Firstly, I noticed that a vertical gridlines of the chart are not align with the gridlines of the data tables. I am wondering how it can be aligned. Secondly, I also noticed that a marker is located on the leftside virtical gridlines of X scales. I am also wondering how to place it on the center. Hi Gary, In my version of Excel they are. Try it with a line chart. In Excel 2007 you might have to make an adjustment. We need more info. With a data table the markers are placed between the vertical gridlines, if you don't like that you can remove the data table and then format th...

Count the cels with the same collor made with conditional formatting!
Hi all, Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a chart. Thanks! Greetz, Jan ;-)) Hi Jan have a look at this previous discussion http://tinyurl.com/3xr9b -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Freesurfer wrote: > Hi all, > > Who nows how i can count the collor cels (red-green-yellow) in my > worksheet! I'm using conditional formating to collor them. > I need the sum of all cels with the same color to put them in a ...

Data Validation in Shared Workbook
I set up a shared workbook that included some data validation. Now I need to add an additional valid value but when I go to Tools, Share Workbook, Editing I cannot turn off "Allow changes....) so that I can change the validation. It is OK if I lose the change history up to this point. Any ideas why this option is disabled? Thanks! -- susieqhersh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ susieqhersh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26887 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4...

Using string data to create charts?
For my class project, our group ended up doing surveys. We collecte hundreds of them and then I manually entered the data into an acces database. I exported the database table as an excel worksheet so that I coul make charts. The problem is that all the data is in string format, and excel doesn' seem to want to make charts using that. For example, we have question that is multiple choice and there are 5 answers, each of whic is a different word. What I am trying to get Excel to do is where I select the column tha the different answers are in and have it count up all the same answer ...

Data from DialogBox to MainFrame
Hi, I have a CDialogBox class, which collects some information (Cstrings and ints), and stores them in internal variales. I would like to pass that information to the MainFrame class. how can i do that? I'm using Visual Stuido 6.0. SDI. thanks in advance Martin wrote: > Hi, I have a CDialogBox class, which collects some information > (Cstrings and ints), and stores them in internal variales. I would like > to pass that information to the MainFrame class. how can i do that? > I'm using Visual Stuido 6.0. SDI. > thanks in advance > Martin: Is this a modal or mod...

Pb with Data validation based on named list
Hello, I create a Name as Test = {"A" , "B"} (not a range but a list of datas) by the menu 'Insert" / "Name" / "define" Then i cant'use that name "Test" in the Data validation Combo box by the menu "Datas" / "Validation" / "Option" / "Autorize" (List) The error message is that system does'nt accept in "Source" = Test Where is the Probleme thanks for your help Gilles PROVOST Hi Gilles You don't need the named range. In Data Validation>List>Source>A,B No need ...

How can I change the chart so date is up and down and data is acro
I have a chart that has the date across the bottom (category axis) and the data up the side (value axis). I want to change these. Is this possible? Hi, It depends on what chart type you are using. Have a look at Jon Peltier's example for a line chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html Cheers Andy speet wrote: > I have a chart that has the date across the bottom (category axis) and the > data up the side (value axis). I want to change these. Is this possible? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info =?Utf-8?B?c3BlZXQ=?= Wrote: &...