counting colored data

I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
color.

Rather than counting color (which you can't do w/o VB), count the cells
using same criteria as your conditional formats.
e.g.
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100>0),--(A2:A100<=10))

Would count everything within A2:A100 that is greater than zero and less
than or equal to 10.

other example:
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<0)+(A2:A100>10))

Would count everything within A2:A100 that is less than 0 or greater than
10.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"lmiller" <lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within
> certain
> limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know
> if
> there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There
> are
> numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to
> do
> so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a
> certain
> color.

0
Luke
4/1/2010 3:05:28 PM
Hi,

You can't count the colours with a worksheet function but you can get the
count you want by directly checking the numbers. tell us the number limits
and someone will help
--
Mike

question.

"lmiller" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> color.
Hi,
See CPearson web for counting colors

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx

"lmiller" wrote:

> I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> color.
Are the coloprs the result of Conditional Formatting?

Count based on those conditions.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:45:02 -0700, lmiller
<lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
>the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
>limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
>there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
>spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
>numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
>so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
>color.

0
Gord
4/1/2010 3:30:38 PM
what?

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Hi,
> See CPearson web for counting colors
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx
>
> "lmiller" wrote:
>
> > I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> > color.
Thanks Mike,

Each cell has a conditional format.  I posted an excert from my worksheet
but unfortunatly the data didn't come over color coded for you to see.  For
sake of argument let say the first column is red and the remaining colums are
green.  Each cell has a conditional format.  If the # doesn't falls between
certain limits it prints in red.  If it does fall between certain number it
prints in green.    Instead of manually counting all the red numbers, I
wanted to try and do a count based on my conditional format.   Each row has
it's own limits and the worksheet contains about 100 rows    but I need an
overall "red" count.  It's quite cumbersome to manually count and I thought
the formual would be extremely long.

0.180	0.184	0.113	0.111
0.173	0.177	0.113	0.119
0.846	0.751	0.075	0.050

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can't count the colours with a worksheet function but you can get the
> count you want by directly checking the numbers. tell us the number limits
> and someone will help
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "lmiller" wrote:
>
> > I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> > color.
Luke

I have thought about what you have suggested.  Below is just an exert from
my worksheet.  Each row has it's own limit to tell whether the number should
print a certain way.  For example  row #1  if # falls between .10 and .15
print in green if not print red.       row #2 if # falls bewteen .00 and .10
print green if not print red.

My formula to write would take just as long than to manually count.  Unless
I am looking at it totally wrong.  Any other suggestions or help?

Thank you so much!!!!!

0.173	0.177	0.113	0.119	0.119	0.116
0.846	0.751	0.075	0.050	0.078	0.082
0.626	0.640	0.031	0.060	0.072	0.074
3.799	4.347	1.187	0.903	1.488	1.118
3.520	3.913	2.593	2.638	1.824	2.049
0.267	0.312	0.263	0.316	0.281	0.247
0.336	0.351	0.271	0.279	0.219	0.204
-0.075	-0.119	-0.349	-0.334	-0.061	-0.180
1.557	1.460	1.318	1.276	1.405	1.400
0.264	0.272	0.282	0.269	0.272	0.266
0.296	0.309	0.286	0.298	0.304	0.289
0.431	0.441	0.457	0.297	0.444	0.440
0.395	0.593	0.418	0.550	0.564	0.489
0.605	0.536	0.374	0.415	0.559	0.519
0.456	0.474	0.435	0.382	0.506	0.377
0.894	0.860	0.885	0.864	0.878	0.882
0.154	-0.093	0.139	0.089	0.082	0.147
0.728	0.767	0.749	0.729	0.714	0.648
0.680	0.668	0.688	0.670	0.691	0.690
0.240	0.031	0.180	0.064	0.079	0.171
0.731	0.901	0.793	0.755	0.788	0.639
0.934	1.017	0.893	0.809	0.798	0.796
-0.156	-0.055	-0.118	0.311	0.076	-0.006
-0.540	-0.758	-0.463	-0.503	-0.501	-0.529
0.654	0.385	0.402	0.486	0.442	0.492
1.786	1.212	1.914	1.751	2.050	1.416
-1.731	-1.760	-1.012	-1.167	-0.893	-0.736
3.790	3.711	1.290	1.550	1.210	1.281
-0.403	-0.432	-0.568	-0.660	-0.550	-0.357
0.546	0.714	0.271	0.298	0.247	0.221
0.319	0.494	0.233	0.247	0.178	0.184
-1.731	-1.760	-1.012	-1.167	-0.893	-0.736
-0.013	-0.018	-0.007	-0.009	-0.006	-0.004

"Luke M" wrote:

> Rather than counting color (which you can't do w/o VB), count the cells
> using same criteria as your conditional formats.
> e.g.
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100>0),--(A2:A100<=10))
>
> Would count everything within A2:A100 that is greater than zero and less
> than or equal to 10.
>
> other example:
> =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<0)+(A2:A100>10))
>
> Would count everything within A2:A100 that is less than 0 or greater than
> 10.
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "lmiller" <lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within
> > certain
> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know
> > if
> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There
> > are
> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to
> > do
> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a
> > certain
> > color.
>

> .

Hi,

I still think this can be done with a formula but you didn't give us all the
number ranges.

If you want to count conditional format colours then it can be done but it
isn't easy. Bob Philips has a solution here

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html

If you don't fancy this route then post the number limits for each row and
someone will work out a solution.
--
Mike

question.

"lmiller" wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
>
> Each cell has a conditional format.  I posted an excert from my worksheet
> but unfortunatly the data didn't come over color coded for you to see.  For
> sake of argument let say the first column is red and the remaining colums are
> green.  Each cell has a conditional format.  If the # doesn't falls between
> certain limits it prints in red.  If it does fall between certain number it
> prints in green.    Instead of manually counting all the red numbers, I
> wanted to try and do a count based on my conditional format.   Each row has
> it's own limits and the worksheet contains about 100 rows    but I need an
> overall "red" count.  It's quite cumbersome to manually count and I thought
> the formual would be extremely long.
>
> 0.180	0.184	0.113	0.111
> 0.173	0.177	0.113	0.119
> 0.846	0.751	0.075	0.050
>

> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can't count the colours with a worksheet function but you can get the
> > count you want by directly checking the numbers. tell us the number limits
> > and someone will help
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > question.
> >

> > "lmiller" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain limits
> > > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within certain
> > > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to know if
> > > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying the
> > > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.  There are
> > > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula to do
> > > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a certain
> > > color.
Doyou have those boundaries called out somewhere in the row, or did you
manually input them for every row?

I'll assume your criteria are in column A and B, and you've colored cells in
C:G

=SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:G100>A2:A100),--(C2:G100<B2:B100))

--

> [...]
>> "lmiller" <lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a spread sheet where if a number doesn't fall within certain
>> >limits
>> > the font is red representing a NG part.    If the number falls within
>> > certain
>> > limits the font is green representing a good part.    I would like to
>> > know
>> > if
>> > there is a way to count the # of NG(or red numbers).  I tried copying
>> > the
>> > spreadsheet to my question but the fonts don't come over in color.
>> > There
>> > are
>> > numerous cells and would be much easier to count if there was a formula
>> > do
>> > so.  I know how to make a count formula but not one if the font is a

0
Luke

DATA > TABLE -- 2 variable data tables?
I have an excel s/s and several cells contain the same formula, "{=TABLE(E15,E9)}". How can i find out what TABLE(E15,E9) is doing? I think it's performing some type of calculation. Is it a table array? any help is greatly appreciated. -- efarhat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ efarhat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26595 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398705 TABLE is not a standard Excel worksheet function as far as I know. It may be a user-de...

Change data series layout
Hi, I'm trying to change the looks of my pivot charts. More precisely, I'm trying to remove the borders from stacked bars' data series. I managed to remove them for each series manually, but once the selection of items chages, all borders are redrawn again. The best way for me would be to change the standard chart layout for this workbook. Is that possible? Is there any way to prevent Excel from reformatting pivot charts? Greets ...

Data Validation based on Optional Inputs
Hi I run W2K with Excel 2K. What I have is a data validation down box which has 2 options. Lets say in cell B8 and the are called "Selection 1" and "Selection 2" Then I have 2nd data validation box (lets say B11) which takes its information from a range name (which is in a different worksheet) Lets say the range name is called "Range 1" Now here is the problem, I have a second list in a separate worksheet which is defined by a range name called "Range 2" I would like the 2nd drop down box to be based on one of the "TWO" range names, d...

How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?
I have means of values that are in a line chart. I want to add error bars, however when I add the error bars with SD=1 they all look the same. I know the SD for each mean is not the same. I want to know how to get the error bars to represent the SD of the data set (the set from which the mean was derived) and not all look the same. Set the 'Error amount' option to 'Custom' and specify the range in your worksheet that has the SDs. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In ar...

Pivot table and counting.

Outlook Data Collection for A2007
I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 While in Access I get message: The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007....verify that it is installed....... I am looking for the file name so that I can locate the Add-in. Thanks. Found it........accolk.dll "Tom Ventouris" <tom@pmads.coza> wrote in message news:uiCEP$oYIHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 > While in Access I get message: > The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disab...

Add data but disallow the deletion of the original data
Hi, Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but disallow them to modify/delete the original data? -- Regards, Adrian lock the cells to be protected>unlock the cells allowing changes>protect sheet -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Adrian" <xinke@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OUrzVeShEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but > disallow them to modify/delete the original data? > > -- > Regards, > Adrian > > Adrian You...

Cycle Counting

comparing data #2
I was wondering is there a way to compare data from 2 columns in a side by side comparison. I have a large list of numbers and what I want to do is copy another list of numbers into the spreadsheet. But I want the numbers in cell A1 and B1 to be equal if they are is not a match then leave cell b1 empty. I want that to continue all the way through the entire worksheet. Maurice, Do you want to end up with 2 separate columns, or are you wanting to merge the 2 lists into 1 list, without duplications? Dave I want 2 side by side columns. With the numbers that are equal right next to each othe...

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Count

Problem importing data to Money 2006
I'm importing data from Money 2000 into 2006 and the dates and quantities of investment transactions are not transferred. I exported multiple accounts within a file with File/Export and changed the file names to reflect the account names (with .qif after them) to a removable flash drive. Followed import instructions (File/Import), set up multiple accounts and moved them as a group. The transfer appeared to be successful except date and quantities were not present. Any ideas? -- leahn In microsoft.public.money, leahn wrote: >I'm importing data from Money 2000 into 2...

Looking for Macro to load data from Access table
I need to code a button to delete data in a spreadsheet then reload the data from an Access table. I'm a new excel user so I down know where to start. Thanks Maybe this will help http://www.rondebruin.nl/accessexcel.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Randy K" <wawork@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43ff7bea.3595531@msnews.microsoft.com... >I need to code a button to delete data in a spreadsheet then reload > the data from an Access table. I'm a new excel user so I down know > where to start. > > Thanks ...

Line count

Data Consolidate Limitation
Hi, Consolidate function is useful for budgetary consolidation purpose However, if there are > 12 worksheets to be consolidated, then consolidate function is unable to call back and consolidate say 45 worksheets as it has reached the max limit of consolidation ( ie 12 sheets ) In this case, is there any options/alternatives available either on excel function or excel vba to solve this problem ? Thanks & Regards Len Can you just run cosolidate on 12 sheets at a time. I have written very simple macros (about 30 lines) that can consolidate unlimited number of sheets...

Counting sales

Outlook data file (pst) is much larger than as reported by Outlook !
Hi all, My Outlook's pst file is 1.7GB, ie quite close to the danger zone (2GB). When I ask Outlook for the size of the folders and all other datas it only shows 1.1 GB total ! Is the file corrupted ? Maybe some remains of an older account ? Using scanpst.exe I see no error or problem in this file. Is there some kind of "purge" operation (other than brutal deletion) ? Claude-Albert NB : same problem seen in Outlook XP and Outlook 2003 for the same pst file. Aloha C-A Berseth, Have you tried compacting it yet? (right-click the root folder of the Personal Folders File, ...

Data Refresh
I have a table with several fields, but in particular Student Number (test) Last Name (text) First Name(test) Grade(text) These fields show on my form called Parking form. These fields are locked. I wish to allow the users to add/edit fields. So I have a cmd button that opens a new form called add/edit new student form. There the user can edit or add a new student then return to the main form. The problem is when you add a new student. That student will not show in the parking form unless you do shift F9. I assume a requery command is needed but I cannot figure out whic...

Screen Doesn't Show Colored Text or Cells
I can change the color of text in a cell but when I hit enter to change cells it changes the text on the screen back to black. However, If i Print the document it prints in color and shows in color in print preview. If I try to shade a cell with a background color it still shows white on the screen, again if I print the document or look at it in print preview the color is there. Any suggestions? If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the fill colour. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Colour and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed ...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Data Migration Issue .........Please Suggest
Hi, I am required to transfer data from Sql Server 2005 which is in different network and domain, its site runs on internet, To Microsoft CRM 3.0. Please Suggest me as how to achieve this. Thanks in advance Misha ...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...