Combining cells with text

I have two cells that both have text in them.  Cell A2 contains the old
status.  Cell B2 contains the new status.  I'd like to keep the history of
the old status and update it with the new status on top.  So cell A2 will now
look like:
5/6  New Status
4/20 Old Status

Can this be done?  I'm using Excel 2003.  I'm guessing it will be VBA code
but don't know what it will say.  Thanks.

=A1 & " Old status" and copy paste special - values to keep the value
static.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two cells that both have text in them.  Cell A2 contains the old
> status.  Cell B2 contains the new status.  I'd like to keep the history of
> the old status and update it with the new status on top.  So cell A2 will
> now
> look like:
> 5/6  New Status
> 4/20 Old Status
>
> Can this be done?  I'm using Excel 2003.  I'm guessing it will be VBA code
> but don't know what it will say.  Thanks.

0
ozgrid
5/5/2010 2:36:37 AM
I'm looking for something that can be done more automatically.  I can easily
do this as a more manual step but I'm looking for something that will do it
for all the 1000+ rows I have.  Any ideas?  Thanks so much for responding.

"ozgrid.com" wrote:

> =A1 & " Old status" and copy paste special - values to keep the value
> static.
>

> --
> Regards
> Dave Hawley
> www.ozgrid.com
> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two cells that both have text in them.  Cell A2 contains the old
> > status.  Cell B2 contains the new status.  I'd like to keep the history of
> > the old status and update it with the new status on top.  So cell A2 will
> > now
> > look like:
> > 5/6  New Status
> > 4/20 Old Status
> >
> > Can this be done?  I'm using Excel 2003.  I'm guessing it will be VBA code
> > but don't know what it will say.  Thanks.

Find/replace with different text colour messes up
When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell instead of just the word that was searched on. To see this in action, try this: 1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet 2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now, let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red. 3.. Open up Search/Replace 4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test 5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test 6.. For the "R...

Mails Combined
HI, I mistakenly delete all mails from Inbox and then found them on the deleted Items and selected all and ask to move folders back to Inbox. the problem is all mails were combined into one email and moved back in to Inbox as a single email. How do i go back to the original version. How do i uncombined all the mails in to individual mails from the right recipient? Please help ASAP.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

Word as a Text Processor in Outlook w/ Exchange
Hi! Sice I set up a new Microsoft Exchange Server account in my Outlook 2003 SP2, I can't use any more Word as a text processor to write my e-mails. I only have the HTML option. So I don't have the nice Word feature (real time spell checking, etc.). Too bad... Any idea? Is there something I missed to set up on the Exchange Server? Help appreciated. Nicolas Check from within Outlook. Tools/Options/Mail Format and make sure you have the option to use "Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit my email messages" checked. "Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> ...

how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel??? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: h...

Merged Cell Character Limitation?
Is there a limitation to the number of characters that can be entered into a merged cell? I have a document which has a merged cell consisting of 12 rows and 9 coulmns (for text entry). I set the cell to word wrap. However the word wrapping ceases after roughly 1500 characters, and the text is no longer visible to the user in the cell (even though there appears to be room). If this is a limitation, is there a known work around? Hi there's a maximum of 1024 characters per cell. Though you can increase this by manually adding line breaks with ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Fra...

delete values in several cells without deleting the formulas
I wanted to clear the values in a spreadsheet without deleting the formulas or formatting in the spreadsheet. For example: A budget sheet made for every year, the formulas and formatting remains the same, only the values change. I tried paste special formulas....in this case, if values are present, they get copied too. Hi you can't delete the 'values' from a formula. The formula will always calculate its result -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "dranreb" <dranreb@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:43255A99-86BA-45A5-BB09-FCAEC002A09...

Set Cell Padding on word tables with merged cells
Dear Experts: Below macro sets certain padding values for the selected table. Regrettably it fails to work on tables with merged cells. Have you got any idea how to re-write the code so that tables featuring merged cells also get worked on? Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Sub SetPadding Dim myCell As Cell Dim myRow As row Dim myTable As Table Set myTable = Selection.Tables(1) For Each myRow In myTable.rows For Each myCell In myRow.Cells myCell.TopPadding = CentimetersToPoints(0) myCell.BottomPadding = C...

How can I delete an infinite number of garbage cells to the right
I highlighted many entire rows with color. Now my excel wants to print 115 pages. I can define a narrow print area, but I really want to delete the garbage color cells to the right. When I drag to the right, there seems to be an infinite number of cells. hi don't drag. place your curser in the first row and column that you want to delete left. hold the shift key down with left hand and with right hand, hit end then the down arrrow. hit the end key again then the left arrow. excel will select all cells from row 1 to bottom and from curser position in row 1 to far left. ...

Printing Entire Contents of Cell
A couple columns in a spreadsheet have lengthy text with the cell formatting set to wrap. Not all of the text displays when viewing the screen, but when clicking on the cell to edit, the contents are there. The real probem is that when printing, the contents of some of these cells are truncated. How do I get the entire contents to print? -- waterdawg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ waterdawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26835 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40084...

Sorting and coloring cells, formula or macro help needed
I have a problem that i don't know how to solve. I wrote it all in my excel file that needs to be done. File is here http://www.sendspace.com/file/q4jc71 Anything that isn't clear, pls ask me. I need this really badly, because my tables sometimes have thousands of those records. HTH: http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002581_Sorting_Data_Containing_Merged_Cells.html Micky "domyrat" wrote: > I have a problem that i don't know how to solve. I wrote it all in my excel > file that needs to be done. > > File is here http://www.sendspace.com/fi...

How can I copy a list from word into a single cell in excel
Data in word is presented as a bullet list. I have copied this data into a new doc and removed the formatting to leave just the list of items. I now wish to copy this data into excel but want it to appear in one single cell retaining its list format rather than continuous text Well, you can save it as TEXT and then read into WORD. If you really want it in one cell, you can then concatenate the values together using a formula similar to this =A1&B1 If you want a space between the data, use =A1&" "&B1 Remember that there is a cell length limit that you may come...

Adding ", " to concatenated text
I have a control that is to display in the On Enter event, a concatenated sentence including the users choices in a multi-select list box. The code is mainly from nice people here which I've taken bits from and added to and it almost works except for getting a comma and space between the entries. Here is the result I'm getting: "There is damage to A/C systemCooling systemDecklid/tailgate,." I want it to be: "There is damage to the A/C system, Cooling system, Decklid/tailgate." Here is my code: Dim varRow As Variant, strText As String strText = vbNull...

merge/combine workshhets
I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of rows Try this Jeff http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff224" <Jeff224@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6790506-2888-4F4D-80EA-BB0D9F9B27A2@microsoft.com... >I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - > all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of > rows Or http://www.rondebru...

Open Workbook to Specific Cell
I do not understand why Excel works this way, and would like help please to understand it, and how I can work around it. I am using Excel 2003. I have 2 workbooks. My test workbook (to understand how this is working) has a macro behind a button that calls... Workbooks.Open Filename:="E:\Address and Telephone Book.xls". Now this works fine except that when the "Address and Telephone Book.xls" is opened, the active cell happens to be the last active cell location from the last time the "Address and Telephone Book.xls" was saved. This is very an...

cell displays formula
Hello, I sometimes run into this phenomena where I change a formula or type in a new formula and suddenly Excel keeps displaying the formula instead of results. This usually happens with a few cells only, i.e. the majority of the cells just display regular results while only the few affected ones display the formulas. I am not in formula auditing mode, so I believe this is pretty much an Excel bug. But what can I do about it? Thanks, Peter -- pwermuth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pwermuth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.p...

How to find multiple cells/replace whole cells w/data
I am trying to find a specific set of characters in multiple cells in a column. Once found, I need to replace the data within found cells with a specific text string. I have been able to replace a text string, but not the whole cell. Perform a search and replace, and add an asterisk before and after your "search for" parameter. Replace with your desired cell contents. Search for: *your text here* Replace with: desired cell contents Instead of 'Find', turn on data filters and select Custom... Use the drop-downs to make the condition 'contains' and then ente...

How to exclude cells from a datasource?
Hi, I have an XY chart in excel97 that uses a range of cells for the data source. Every now and then I would like to exclude a XYnode from the chart. Without having to reselt the datasource. Is there a value one can enter in the cell that exludes it from the graph (compare: putting text in a cell excludes it from the SUM() function). For example point X Y a 1 1 b 2 2 c 3 3 Gives a graph with two lines connecting the three points While point X Y a 1 1 b ? ? c 3 3 Should give a graph with one line connecting point a and c. Point b is left out. Or is the...

Incrementing Cell Numbers
All: I have created an excel "Workorder" form for our employees to write in what machine they are working on, what parts they used, and how long they spent on the repair... The problem... I need to print out hundreds of these forms for the men to use, and each copy of the form needs to have an unique number. Is there a way to program a cell to automatically increment by 1 every time it is printed? Again, I need to print hundreds at a time, and I need them to automatically increment by 1. TIA, Lance Place this in ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel ...

Changing worksheet cells from inside a function
Hi The following code in VB (excel 2000): ----------- start code function f(x as double) as double cells(1,1) = "A" f = x + 2 end function ----------- end code produces #ARG error when inserted into a worksheet. The offending line is: cells(1,1) = "A" Does it mean I can't change worksheet cells from inside a function ? But macros do it. What I'm doing wrong, or is there a way around ? Best greetings Antek, Warsaw, Poland -- remove SPAM before onet.pl antekL1@poczta.SPAMonet.pl Hi Antek, A function, when used in a worksheet, cannot change or alter an...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

Date value in cell with text
I would like a cell in Excel 2000 to have some text plus today's date, like this: "Total orders as of 3/09" I was able to pull the current date with =NOW() and right clicking the cell and choosing the date to look like 3/09 I was thinking that my formula should look like ="Total orders as of "&NOW() Any thoughts? ="Total orders as of "& TEXT(TODAY(),"m/dd") -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel <tonyrulesyall@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e37153e1-42c4-4dce-892f-ed1362033ec3@41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... >I...

"Too many different cell formats" is preventing file from opening
An Excel 2000 workbook saved successfully but when attempting to open it again I receive the message, "Too many different cell formats." I have since learned that a maximum of 4000 format combinations are allowed in a workbook. I've also learned how to correct the problem. Unfortunately, Microsoft's instructions don't address how to get the file to open in order to carry out the corrective actions necessary. Any ideas about getting the file open? A recent post from Dave Peterson on this subject.......... Saved from a previous post: XL: Error Message: Too Ma...

Reference a cell value in a formula
I have the following formula: =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(Summary!$F$7:$F$15000)=1)*1) I want the "15000" to be replaced by the varaible value of a cell in an other worksheet ("Summary"). I tried using INDIRECT but it didn't work. Thanks in advance =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(OFFSET(Summary!$E$7,0,0,C4,1))=1)*1) C4 in this case is the cell that holds the number of items to be used in the calculation -- If the post is helpful, please consider donating something to an animal charity on my behalf ..... and click Yes "Leon" wrote: > I have the f...

problem with Data|Text to Columns
I wrote a while back and was possibly not clear - I do a lot of data import and clean up - on this new computer, the subject topic, which I call data parsing, does not work correctly. I have to divide the columns with one extra space, which I never had to do before. I hate to think of uninstalling excel, but if that's what it takes . . . Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Happy New Year -- Regards, P D Sterling New York, Texas & Texas, New York P D Sterling" <pdsterling@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23sslSLUTIHA.4656@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > call...