Case sensitivity of functions in Excel

Hi,

Which Excel functions are case sensitive and which are not?

Can anyone shed some light or point to some resource that explains the
case sensitivity of functions in Excel?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Raj

0
Raj

Most functions are not case sensitive, but you can use the EXACT
function if case is important to you. FIND is case-sensitive, but
SEARCH is not.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 2, 1:37=A0am, Raj <rsp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which Excel functions are case sensitive and which are not?
>
> Can anyone shed some light or point to some resource that explains the
> case sensitivity of functions in Excel?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Raj

0
Pete_UK
6/2/2010 12:47:02 AM
SUBSTITUTE is also case sensitive.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

On Jun 2, 1:37 am, Raj <rsp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which Excel functions are case sensitive and which are not?
>
> Can anyone shed some light or point to some resource that explains the
> case sensitivity of functions in Excel?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Raj

Excel is there but it wont pop up
I launch excel 2002 sp3 but it stays as an icon on the task bar. Tried right clicking and choosing restore etc - no luck. Works under other profile. Created new profile for myself - still no luck. Am using addins - could this be it? I tried removing the addin but it still does not work... any ideas? I am running XP If you rightclick on the icon and choose maximize does it work? You could try rightclicking on the icon and chosing Move. Then use the arrow keys to move the application to the visible window. Hit enter when you're happy with the location. amelia wrote: > >...

PC excel 07 Vs Mac Excel 08

How to I get a total word count in Excel?
Is there a command to obtain a total word count in Excel spreadsheets similar to getting a word count in Word documents? This is required to submit language translation requests. Thanks, From Chip Sub AAA() Dim WordCount As Long Dim Rng As Range Dim S As String Dim N As Long For Each Rng In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells S = Rng.Text N = 0 If S <> "" Then N = Len(S) - Len(Replace(S, " ", "")) + 1 End If WordCount = WordCount + N Next Rng MsgBox WordCount End Sub -- -- ...

powerpoint crashes on ungroup of excel chart
On any chart that is created in excel and either inserted as an object or copy and pasted (I have also pasted it as an image and and excel object) when I go to ungroup the image powerpoint shuts down. In the application event log is: event id 1000, mso.dll error We are running XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 I have uninstalled and reinstalled office completely to no avail. Can someone help with some direction? Thanks ...

another question on Function pointer term does not evaluate to a function
Many thanks for the responce last time but I have another question the line below (DbTable[0].pFunc)(); produces error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function How do I fix this ? Thanks //Header file class X { typedef struct { void (X::*pFunc)(); }Z; void SerialNum(void); }; static X::Z DbTable[]= { { X::SerialNum }, {0} }; //cpp file void X::SerialNum(void) { } //Call by BOOL CMVPDlg::OnInitDialog() { (DbTable[0].pFunc)(); return TRUE; } Once, long ago, when I was first learning C++, I used a function pointer. I haven't needed one s...

Help: Excel hyperlinks changing...
All, I've a Excel spreadsheet, with about 10-12 worksheets on it. One of these worksheets is a 'revision history' sheet, so it tracks all changes to other worksheets. I use hyperlinks to link directly to the change that has been made. However, for some reason, these links seem to change of their own accord. Suddenly, the link will be to a different worksheet or a different cell reference. This has not been changed by anyone, as only I have access to the document. Any ideas or suggestions? If it helps, when I add a new hyperlink in. I insert a new row in my revision histor...

Worksheet Function?
Thanks in advance for reading this. I have a lookup function returning whatever sheet (X) has from a specific cell. I would like it to return nothing if I am not useing that cell, right now it brings in a 0? =('Daily Input'!U42) This is the actual command that I am using.... Try this.... =if(iserror(vlookup(yourlookupfunction))," ",(vlookup(yourlookupfuntion))) You can put some text, or nothing between the set of " ". Also, just check the number of brackets, as you can make a mistake quite easily on this. James "Krefty" wrote: > Thanks ...

Function Lookup
=IF(Routing_Count_04072010!A:A = "COB",Routing_Count_04072010!B:B,0) I can use the above as long as the fields do not change and it works perfectly. When the field moved on the new sheet. I still get a return of True and a value of 23. Which is correct; however, it show final result as 0. Is there another function I should be using. Basic Idea is if it finds the value of COB in Column A. It will return the Amount listed in Column B from the same Row. Thanks Try =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("COB",Routing_Count_04072010!A:A,0)),INDEX(B:B,MATCH("COB"...

Problem with diagram Excel 2007
Hi, We run Windows XP Sp3 computers with Office Suite Pro 2007 installed. In Excel 2007 we encounters the following issue/problem. - Reversing only the vertical axis in a diagram In an excel-document I have data that generates a diagram in another document. These data have to be put in with the newest information on top so that one just put in new sheet rows with new data, and after that one can mark a new area from which the diagram should be generated. When the data is in this order the diagram is generated so that the newest data is to the left and the oldest data is to the right, but ...

select case from combobox and option group
I have an series of actions that need to be executed from differnt types of controls on 2 different forms one control is an option group, the second is a combobox (limit to list = yes) the commands had already been moved to a sub, SetPresetOptions(frm as Access.form) <call SetPresetOptions(me) > , which is located in the same module as the option group (and can be moved to a differnet module if needed) the code reads something like this: Select Case optSetPresetOptions case = 1 do something case = 2 dosomething else case = .... Ho...

string functions
I've spent half the day today on try to figure out how to parse this string. Here it is I have a string like this: "1 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6" and sometimes that string may have more that one carriage return like I have in my example between 1 & 1.1 What I need is to separate out each number like 1 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 I've been googling and sifting through help files looking for a way to parse it out but I can't seem to find any. This has to be an easy task and I sure would appreciate any help at all. Thank you Bill &q...

How to preserve Excell 2007 conditional formatting for non Excel u
In 2003, I could highlight the selection and e-mail it and the conditional formatting stayed intact. In 2007, I'm using some of the additional formatting that is available, but it is not preserved in an e-mail any longer, even when the recipient has Excel 2007. How can I best preserve a view of my spreadsheet with the 2007 conditional formatting for other users? Does not have to be office based. Ideally, it would be a solution that allowed me to paste it as the body of an HTML or RTF formatted e-mail. u cld email a screen shot.. more here: http://excelexperts.com/Exce...

Pivot Table summary function
Is it possible to change the default summary function within a pivot table. That is, when working with numbers, can you set the default to SUM rather than COUNT? You can't change the default settings for the data fields. If a field contains blank cells, or cells with text, it will default to COUNT. Otherwise, it will SUM. To change the operation for a field, in the layout window, double-click on the data field button, and choose to Summarize by Sum, instead of Count. Excel query wrote: > Is it possible to change the default summary function within a pivot table. > That is, wh...

Strange Excel problem when opening an Excelbook
When I open an Excelworkbook I get the following message from Excel (see attached picture) First I get a security warning that the Excelbook contains macros which is OK. I press Enable macros (totaly normal) Then the strange message appears when excel looks for MIM.EXE???. If I press OK I get following message from Excel: "Cannot run MIM.EXE. The program or one of its components is damaged or missing" I press OK and I get back to the strange message. But if I press Ok again I get the Cannot MIM.EXE message, but then after pressing OK I can can continue work with the Excelwo...

"Ghost" sheet objects returned while using Excel.Application
I am trying to parse a spreadsheet using JavaScript and I'm finding "ghost" Sheet objects in the file. It seems that if the user copied and renamed the file and then deleted some tabs that those tabs are still accessible programmitcally. If I view the excel file in Excel or try to load it into SQL Server then the "ghost" tabs don't show up. But if I read it using the Excel.Application in JavaScript then they show up. Here's an excerpt of what I'm doing: var wb = XLS.WorkBooks.Open(fname); var ws = XLS.Sheets; var cell = null; var e = new Enumerator(XLS....

Are attribute values case sensitive?
I know that elements and attribute names are case sensitive, but are the actual attribute values case sensitive when referred to from within an xsl stylesheet for example? Thanks, Kathy *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! "Kathy Burke" <kathyburke40@attbi.com> wrote in message news:e$wBHf5iDHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I know that elements and attribute names are case sensitive, but are the > actual attribute values case sensitive when referred to from within an > xsl styleshee...

Hyperlinks in excel #2
How do I stop excel from automatically inserting a hyperlink when I insert an email address in a cell? Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/nohyperlinks.html it's written for MacXL, but the techniques work in WinXL as well. In article <03f101c3d9d5$051130e0$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "Daryl" <coxdf@ornl.gov> wrote: > How do I stop excel from automatically inserting a > hyperlink when I insert an email address in a cell? Hi Daryl! In Excel 2002 and 2003 you can turn this off: Tools > AutoCorrect Options "AutoFormat as you type" Tab Remo...

excel vba
is there a way to set up something or even a macro which once i print m sheet, it will erase the numbers which i have in my cells, but not th formulas i have set up in the formula bar. the reason being is m invoice system has to obviously be cleared after each transaction, bu i don't want to lose the formulas i have set up -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Chief Sub ClearItOut() Cells.Select Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 1).Select Selection.ClearContents End Sub You can do the same manually by CRTL + A to select all cells. F5>Special>Co...

How can I do this in Excel
I know only enough about Excel to get me in trouble so please keep your answers as basic as possible. I have a entry like 01/04/2006 10 23 42 48 54 03 x4 when I paste this into a worksheet I would like it to appear like this col A col B col C col D col E col F col G col H 01/04/2006 10 23 42 48 54 03 x4 Can this be done? I remember seeing a feature where you could put lines to sperate date into different columns Thanks ...

making the axial of an excel plot cartesian
The aim is to have the scale of both x-axis as well as y- axis to be the same. In other words, a unit on the x-axis should be equal to a unit in the y-axis, when the graph is printed. Thanks for your help. Kostas Kostas - I've posted a VBA solution on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SquareGrid.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Kostas wrote: > The aim is to have the scale of both x-axis as well as y- > axis to be the same. > In other words, a un...

Case Lookup 04-21-06
Is there a way to prevent resolved cases from appearing in the case lookup? Specifically... Create an email in Outlook. Click the 'Track in CRM' button. Click the 'Regarding' button. Change the 'Look For' to Cases. Currently this lookup displays all cases with no restrictions. I would like to restrict this to only show active cases. ------=_NextPart_0001_2F86B88A Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Cindy, Thanks for the post. I will have to take a look at this to see if there is a way to filter the view. A quick glance at the issu...

Letter case problem
I try to use a lowercase letter i in a cell, just as a bale for a list of items, all by itself, and Excel insists on changing it to an uppercase I. It does not make any difference if I specify that the cell is text. In fact, nothing I have found solves this problem. Does anyone know how to make Excel behave in this case? "docbnj" <psboyer@patmedia.net> wrote in message news:1143390556.519705.230640@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I try to use a lowercase letter i in a cell, just as a bale for a list > of items, all by itself, and Excel insists on changing it to an...

restoring column labels Excel 2002
After shifting some of the columns to the left, I have lost some of the column labels; my worksheet begins with column A, then C,D....,M,R,S, etc. I.e., I've lost column labels B, N, O, and so on. Is there an easy way to restore all of the column labels in their correct alphabetical sequence? Thank you for any help you can provide Most likely you've inadvertenly hidden columns, rather than lost them. When you look at the visible columns, say A and C, is the vertical line between A and C heavier than the separator between C and D? Try this: highlight columns A through C by left-...

How do I create an auto updating excel chart?
I have moved over to excel 2007 and cannot work out how to create a chart that updates automatically. Can anyone help ? Option A: Use an Excel 2007 Table (like an Excel 2003 List on steroids) as the data source. Option B: Use dynamic ranges as the source data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicColumnChart1.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "dave01" <dave01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Excel background problem
I have inserted a background on a excel sheet, but when i print it out the background does not show up. How do I get excel to print the sheet with the background?? The quick answer is: you can't. However, if you want to print a PICTURE of the data, select the data and hold down the Shift key then Edit>Copy Picture, go to a new doument and repeat the steps except choose Paste Picture. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Jonathan" <jonathanlipscomb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2d6af01c394aa$0ab6d010$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I hav...