calculation taking too long

Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet within
the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to calculate,
upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need to
use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back and
change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.  Is
there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based on
cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?

Hi

Assuming there are no empty cells in the range you can use this in a helper
cell ie B1:

="A1:A" & COUNT(A:A)

Then you can use a INDIRECT formula like this:

=SUM(INDIRECT(B1))

Hopes this helps.
Per

"yowzers" <yowzers@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet
> within
> the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
> every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to
> calculate,
> upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
> entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need
> use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
> continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back
> and
> change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.
> Is
> there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based
> on
> cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?

0
Per
12/15/2009 7:19:12 PM
>I am pretty sure this is because my formulas
>contain entire columns as ranges
>(i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).

Yeah, that'll add to calculation time if you're using lots of array formulas
(including SUMPRODUCT).

An array formula (including SUMPRODUCT) will evaluate *every* cell in the
referenced range whether it's within the used range or not.

Use dynamic ranges:

http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

See this for excellent advise/tips on improving efficiency:

http://www.decisionmodels.com/

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"yowzers" <yowzers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet
> within
> the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
> every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to
> calculate,
> upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
> entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need
> use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
> continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back
> and
> change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.
> Is
> there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based
> on
> cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?

Slow Now; Speed UP:
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
.... ... ...
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Or, if you want to make a Macro fire specifically on one sheet in a workbook:
sheets("Sheet1").activate
Range("A1:Z100").Select
This will take you to the desired sheet for the range selected.

--
Ryan---

"yowzers" wrote:

> Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet within
> the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
> every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to calculate,
> upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
> entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need to
> use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
> continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back and
> change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.  Is
> there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based on
> cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?
Just my 2 cents...

When calc time is already not acceptable the last thing you want to do is
use volatile functions.

You can create dynamic ranges in most cases without using volatile
functions.

>="A1:A" & COUNT(A:A)
>=SUM(INDIRECT(B1))

Rng refers to:
=A1:INDEX(A:A,COUNT(A:A))

=SUM(Rng)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Per Jessen" <per.jessen@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Assuming there are no empty cells in the range you can use this in a
> helper cell ie B1:
>
> ="A1:A" & COUNT(A:A)
>
> Then you can use a INDIRECT formula like this:
>
> =SUM(INDIRECT(B1))
>
> Hopes this helps.
> Per
>
> "yowzers" <yowzers@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>> Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet
>> within
>> the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.
>> But
>> every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to
>> calculate,
>> upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas
>> contain
>> entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need
>> use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
>> continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back
>> and
>> change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.
>> Is
>> there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based
>> on
>> cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?

Sorry I am a newbie.  I have no idea what this means...

"ryguy7272" wrote:

> Slow Now; Speed UP:
> Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
> Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> ... ... ...
> Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
>
> Or, if you want to make a Macro fire specifically on one sheet in a workbook:
> sheets("Sheet1").activate
> Range("A1:Z100").Select
> This will take you to the desired sheet for the range selected.
>
> --
> Ryan---
> If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''.
>

> "yowzers" wrote:
>
> > Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet within
> > the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
> > every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to calculate,
> > upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
> > entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need to
> > use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
> > continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back and
> > change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.  Is
> > there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based on
> > cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?
Perfect, thanks!

"T. Valko" wrote:

> >I am pretty sure this is because my formulas
> >contain entire columns as ranges
> >(i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).
>
> Yeah, that'll add to calculation time if you're using lots of array formulas
> (including SUMPRODUCT).
>
> An array formula (including SUMPRODUCT) will evaluate *every* cell in the
> referenced range whether it's within the used range or not.
>
> Use dynamic ranges:
>
> http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic
>
> See this for excellent advise/tips on improving efficiency:
>
> http://www.decisionmodels.com/
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "yowzers" <yowzers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet
> > within
> > the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
> > every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to
> > calculate,
> > upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
> > entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need
> > use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
> > continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back
> > and
> > change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.
> > Is
> > there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based
> > on
> > cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?
>

> .

You're welcome!

--

> Perfect, thanks!
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> >I am pretty sure this is because my formulas
>> >contain entire columns as ranges
>> >(i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).
>>
>> Yeah, that'll add to calculation time if you're using lots of array
>> formulas
>> (including SUMPRODUCT).
>>
>> An array formula (including SUMPRODUCT) will evaluate *every* cell in the
>> referenced range whether it's within the used range or not.
>>
>> Use dynamic ranges:
>>
>> http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic
>>
>> See this for excellent advise/tips on improving efficiency:
>>
>> http://www.decisionmodels.com/
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "yowzers" <yowzers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet
>> > within
>> > the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.
>> > But
>> > every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to
>> > calculate,
>> > upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas
>> > contain
>> > entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I
>> > need
>> > use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
>> > continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go
>> > back
>> > and
>> > change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.
>> > Is
>> > there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas
>> > based
>> > on
>> > cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?
>>

>> .

Hi,

Your range in the formula should be A1:A100.  To make the range auto
expanding, convert it to a List (or Table in Excel 2007) - Ctrl+L

--
Regards,

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"yowzers" <yowzers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet
> within
> the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data.  But
> every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to
> calculate,
> upwards of a minute.  I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain
> entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100).  However I need
> use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will
> continue to add to this over the years.  I don't want to have to go back
> and
> change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data exceeds the range.
> Is
> there anyway around this so that excel only calculates my formulas based
> on
> cells that have an entry?  Or any other way to make this faster?

0
Ashish

borders not printing for banners over 1m long
when setting a banner in publisher 2002, the border of the banner would not print if the banner is over 1m in length. The borders will not show in print pre-view either. You do have a printer margin limitation. Are you tiling? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MFY" <MFY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DB3CB57-AE99-4C71-9BA8-FF18205CBE59@microsoft.com... > when setting a banner in publisher 2002, the border of the banner would not > print if the banner is over 1m in length. The b...

How to calculate age of a person?

Due Date Calculated

Add ... to long strings
Is there a standard function to add ... to long strings ? DrawText has the option. Generally, I consider this a Really Bad Idea Almost All The Time, although I've come up with a couple useful exceptions now and again. Putting ... in a path name, however, is ALWAYS a mistake. I wish there was a user option to disable this completely and forever under all imaginable circumstances. joe On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:35:34 -0800, "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.newsgroups.com> wrote: >Is there a standard function to add ... to long strings ? Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] e...

how to calculate outliers

Calculated field options???

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

tenure calculations

Formula to calculate time

Insert calculated median field in pivottable
Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. Thanks, Joel Not supported in a pivot -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Joel Schaefer" <joel@disintegrators.com> wrote in message news:ev4P0Nk6FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried > inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. > > Thanks, > > Joel > ...

Javascript help, calculation whoes when calculating from a calculation....
I am having a strange issue with Javascript and I cannot see what the issue us? Essentially I need to be able to calculate two values, one is addition and the second is multiplication. I am getting some strange numbers. My code is at the bottom under the ------, here are the details. crmForm.all.estimatedvalue.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_nextyr.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_yrtwoplus.DataValue = 10 This should make totalestrev = 30, Then its getting weird, I am taking the following formula (10/100)*30 = 270? Here 10 is the value selected from the drop down value, I ...

calculator errors
when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a1,b1) into cell c1. If a1 is 1000 and b1 is .10 than c1 should equal 100, but it equals 102.04. My calculator is off somehow when i try to multiply. Please help me. Thank You, Kat I'd take a look at the values in A1 and B1. Are they really 1000 and .10 or are they 1000.49999 or .10444 (for example) "Kat and the Calculator" <KatandtheCalculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:591A3F6E-7C20-4C88-B1E2-6B76CFF502BA@microsoft.com... > when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a...

Calculating Employee hours for the current week
Hello, I am new to excel and have been assigned the task of creating a file that breaks down the amount of time each of our employees spends on different projects. Most importantly I want to create a rollup sheet that shows the total number of hours all the employees have spent on the different projects (there are 6) for the current week. Is there any way for excel to figure out the current week then add together the hours all the employees worked on these 6 projects? Thanks in advance. Hi, Take a look at the templates available from Microsoft at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...

What does this calculation do?!
I am working with a colleague to create a spreadsheet to rank supervisor performance through several aspects of the average performance of their employees. We have been given a similar spreadsheet as an example of what is needed. I am looking at it, and initially cannot understand what in the world some of the calcuations are meant to do. Here is one that is meant to calculate the "ranking score." It is a percentage determined by a target percentage and the person's actual performance percentage: =IF(IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)>200,200,IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)) As far as I ...

calculation in menu/tool bar using option buttons and pull-down menus
hello: Like to be able to add a series of calculations into the menu bar. The calculations would require 1 input field, 2 sets of radio (or are they called toggle???) buttons, a pull down list and an answer field that was dependent on the radio buttons, pull down and # inputted. I can do all this in an Excel worksheet fairly easily; however, I'd like to put it up in the menu bar/tool bar area so it is easily accessable no mater what workbook I'm working in. How can I do this? Any places I can read about this on the Web? Thanks for any answers/pointers! For example, the basic con...

Savings Goals, how are they calculated
I have a budget that says I have $1000+ saved each month, when I setup a savings goal for three months down the road for $2000 it says that it is unattainable and the max I could save is $345! What else is calculated into the savings goals other than how much money is left over after each month! It just doesn't make sense. The only help it gives is check out your cash flow... and sure enough, at the time I want my savings goal to be reach it says that the total of my accounts is $4000+ dollars... why does Money keep saying that I can't do a savings goal above $345?!!! This is...

Inserting date calculations

Aggregate calculations on calculated query fields?
I made a query that uses fields from multiple tables to calculate values for daily metrics. I need to present monthly totals of the data as sums and/or means. The tables are linked by the Date (mm/dd/yyyy) field. I enter ‘between 03/01/2010 and 03/31/2010’ in the criteria for the date field. For the totals I enter ‘group by’ for the date and ‘sum’ or ‘avg’ for the calculated fields. When the query is executed I receive an error that I ‘tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression *** as part of an aggregate function. *** is the calculated field in the...

I need help with a formula calculating time
I have a simple spreadsheet calculating the hours worked by a person, In the columns i have start time, end time and hours worked. The columns are formatted into hh:mm. The hours worked are calculated by subtracting end time from start time, based on 24hour clock. This works fine if the hours are worked on the same day, but if the person starts at 18:00 and finishes at 02:00 the subtraction doesnt work. If however i change the formatting of the cells to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm this will work as the date helps. But i feel this would be too much info to enter for each person if i have ov...

Perfoming calculations on answers from pervious calculations
Hi all I have a user who is trying to perform a simple divide to a number of data fields, however this data appears in the field due to a larger calculateion. When she tries to put in the devide she get the orriginal calculation in the cell rather than just the answer from it. I've been told its just a setting but i cant find it!!! Any ideas anyone?? Cheers -- Karl "i'll start being nicer when you start being smarter" Hi maybe 'Tools - Options - Calculation' and check 'Automatic calculation ' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Karl E...

One cell takes multiple inputs
I was wondering if there is a simple way to make one cell takes multiple inputs, essentially turning a cell into a placeholder. Example: Sheet1!A2=Sheet1!A3+5 Sheet1!A3 will take arbitrary value from Sheet2!A3 or Sheet3!A3, and return the answer to Sheet2!A4 and Sheet3!A4, respectively. If Sheet2!A3=2, then Sheet2!A4=Sheet1!A2=7 If Sheet3!A3=4, then Sheet3!A4=Sheet1!A2=9 Thank You. csw -- csw78 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ csw78's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23008 View this threa...

Calculation --- What's going on?
Does anyone know how to find out what Excel is doing as it recalculates? I have a large spreadsheet (7+M). When it calculates the completion percentage at the bottom left hand corner pauses at several values (22%, 43%, 92%, ect.) The sheet takes over 30 seconds to recalculate and so far I have not been able to determine why. I thought if I could find out what Excel is recalculating during these pauses it might give me insite as to what's happening. Also, one worksheet in the workbook was copied from another workbook. When I use shift-F9 \, that is the only worksheet that has an...