Calculate weighted average for 1 column

Hi
I 'm looking for ways to calculated weighted average for 1 column, random
values as follows. I do not have frequences/quantities values.
1.3
1.4
1.6
1.7
1.7
1.8
1.6
1.6
1.7
1.6

What do you want to weight them by? Without a second variable, the only
thing you can do is calculate the average, as in:
=average(A:A)

Regards,
Fred

"Jul2010" <Jul2010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I 'm looking for ways to calculated weighted average for 1 column, random
> values as follows. I do not have frequences/quantities values.
> 1.3
> 1.4
> 1.6
> 1.7
> 1.7
> 1.8
> 1.6
> 1.6
> 1.7
> 1.6

0
Fred
1/21/2010 4:15:53 PM
See the answers which were given to the very similar question asked by
"Julia" on this group an hour or so ago.
If you don't have weightings, you can calculate only an average, not a
weighted average.
--
David Biddulph

"Jul2010" <Jul2010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I 'm looking for ways to calculated weighted average for 1 column, random
> values as follows. I do not have frequences/quantities values.
> 1.3
> 1.4
> 1.6
> 1.7
> 1.7
> 1.8
> 1.6
> 1.6
> 1.7
> 1.6

0
David
1/21/2010 4:20:49 PM
To expand on my answer, if you don't understand the concept of a weighted
average:

You have ten values listed in your example, and the average is 1.6
If instead of the ten values you had persented your data in the form
      1.3
     1

      1.4
     1

      1.6
     4

      1.7
     3

      1.8
     1

listing the values in one column and the number of occurrences in the second
column, then you could calculate the weighted average with the formula
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A5,B1:B5)/SUM(B1:B5)
and again get the answer 1.6.   If you had just averaged the five values on
column A (with =AVERAGE(A1:A5)) you would have got the answer 1.56, but by
including the weighting factors in column B it gives you the weighted
average of 1.6.
--
David Biddulph

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk> wrote in message
> See the answers which were given to the very similar question asked by
> "Julia" on this group an hour or so ago.
> If you don't have weightings, you can calculate only an average, not a
> weighted average.
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "Jul2010" <Jul2010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I 'm looking for ways to calculated weighted average for 1 column, random
>> values as follows. I do not have frequences/quantities values.
>> 1.3
>> 1.4
>> 1.6
>> 1.7
>> 1.7
>> 1.8
>> 1.6
>> 1.6
>> 1.7
>> 1.6

0
David

Copy column
Hi I have a continuous form (MainForm) containing employe's informations like IDEmploye, Name, Position, Salary, etc When the user double-click on the employe's ID, a new window open. This window (SecondForm)contains the same employe's informations + a subform (related to the employe's ID) The subform (EmplSub) is a continous form with 3 fields (PeriodNo, Planned and employe's ID) and 36 rows. Each row represent a Period (month) How it works User open the MainForm Find the employe he wants to work with Double-click on the employe's ID and another window open Then...

1/17 q2
How do I? How do you do what? On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:11:41 -0800, "Jerry de Raad" <a-jerrdr@titanium.selfhost.corp.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I? > By asking a specific, sensible question? -- HTH Bob Phillips "Jerry de Raad" <a-jerrdr@titanium.selfhost.corp.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ey9NJGO$EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > How do I? > > ...

Help with average formula
Hi, I'm trying to calculate average of figures as follows: 1.1.2003 10 2.1.2003 20 3.1.2003 15 4.1.2003 5.1.2003 5 So the question is that if there is one row that has no numbers in it how do I exclude it from the average... meaning that average would b counted like this (10+20+15+5)/4 and not (10+20+15+5)/5. Thanks //juh -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Juha If a cell is blank, it won't be included in the average. Andy. "Juha" <Juha.ybp1y@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Juha.ybp1y@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > > I...

Stacked Column gap width
I have a stacked column graph and I have set the gap width to 0. There is, however, still space between the stacked columns. The gap looks to be about twice as wide as the column themselves. Any idea why? The column overlap is set to 100. The Gap Width is set to 0. In case it matters, the X axis is a time scale, all axis settings are automatic. It looks like both ClusteredColumn and StackedColumn graph types have some intra-cluster spacing that cannot be eliminated... Brian Herbert Withun When you use a time-scale axis, it creates categories for each day (all days). The time-scale is ...

How to calculate age of a person?

average if with time
I have data sorted by date(mm/dd/yy) and time(hh.mm.ss) and I am tryin to write a function which will average every hour. How can I sor through the times and compute an average without getting all the 2 clocks, for example, as opposed to the hour on one particular day Thanks for the help, Andrew Moo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Need a little more detail. Maybe give me an example of what you have a data and then tell me what results you are trying to recieve from tha data! michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I see your problem as having separate...

CRM 1.2 Console Logon Problem
Folks, I have CRM 1.2 installed on a SBS 2003 Premium server with the SBS SP1 installed, the default port number for the site is 83 and not 80 as it would conflict with another product. I have created a link for users with the port number in and this works fine from client machines, but if I use the server console to try and access the same site an authentication box appears and will not accept my credentials (Administrator) and then fails with you do not have permission to access this site. The same happens if I try and use the Deployment Manager. If I log on to a client Workstation...

Due Date Calculated

how to calculate outliers

90 min -> 1:30
hi, i have a small problem how can i transvere 90 min into 1:30 tks mario Hi Mario Divide 90 by 1440 and format as time. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please "Mario" <mmc_vw1200@hotmail.com> skrev i melding news:3f607936$0$26172$91cee783@newsreader02.highway.telekom.at... > hi, > i have a small problem > how can i transvere 90 min into 1:30 > > tks mario > > TKS it workes very well a VERY big THANK YOU "Harald Staff" <harald.staff@nrk.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:u#S8bqGeDHA.1736@TK2MSFT...

Calculated field options???

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

10.1.4 update won't install
When I run the 10.1.4 updater on my iBook I end up with an error message which says that the installer is unable to find the Office X folder on my hard drive. At some point I think I renamed the folder "MS Office X", so I thought that was the reason and renamed it back to "Microsoft Office X". That still didn't work. How can I get this update installed? I tried installing it from within the same folder that Office resides in, but that didn't work either. You need to install the 10.1.2 update first, ...

Column width #8
I want to have two different column widths in one worksheet. Another words I want Column A to be one width at the top of the worksheet, and column A to be another width at the bottom of the worksheet without it effecting the top column width. Is this possible? Consider using the "Merge-and-Center" command (button on the formatting toolbar next to "Align Right"). If you have highlighted one cell to the right, this will cause the data in cell A1 to appear merged across A1 and B1. Thus, the merged column above will appear to have a different width than those below....

Getting primary/foreign keys and referenced tables and columns
OK, I've been wrestling with this for a while; time to ask for help. I need a query (SQL 2005/2008) that, given a table name, will return the column information for that table as shown in SSMS (schema name, table name, column name, if it's a primary or foreign key; AND, additionally, if it is a foreign key - the referenced table and column that contains the primary key). I have been able to put together a query to get primary keys and one to get the foreign keys, but unable to pull it all together with the inclusion of the reference information for foreign keys! Any h...

tenure calculations

printing specific columns
Hi Is there a way to print just selected columns? I have a sheet with 6 columns and I want to print 3 of them, the others are just for reference and formulation. Thanks Rick Hide those you don't want to print -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Fayette" <fayetpd@powersupply.net> wrote in message news:u0iJ2SNaEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is there a way to print just selected columns? I have a sheet with 6 columns > and I want to print 3 of them, the others are just for reference and > formulation. > > Thanks > Rick &g...

exclude columns in macro
I have a simple macro below. I would like to exclude certain Columns (c). So instead of reading c=5 to 16, it will be 5 to 8, 10-13....... p = "C:\Documents and Settings\" f = "Stuff.xls" s = "Sheet1" Application.ScreenUpdating = False For r = 12 To 72 For c = 5 To 16 a = Cells(r, c).Address Cells(r, c) = GetValue(p, f, s, a) Next c Next r Range("D:F,I:K,N:O").Select Selection.NumberFormat = "#,##0_);(#,##0)" Also, is there a way for me to identify these columns later ...

Price History Chart
The data is here in Price History, why can't Money chart it for me? Am I missing something? for Money 2004? The default chart only shows a fixed time. If you right click and add the chart to your favorites, you should be able to customize the date range. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially i...

Combine 2 Money files into 1
I'm wondering if there is any way to combine 2 seperate files into one file. The only way that I can see to do it is to export thr accounts into QIf then import thrm back in. The only disadvantage to that is that i can't export any Loans and liability accounts. I'm running Money 2004 Thanks for the Help In addition When I import the QIF files it throws off the total amounts in the accounts >-----Original Message----- >I'm wondering if there is any way to combine 2 seperate >files into one file. The only way that I can see to do >it is to export thr ac...

Formula to calculate time

Row and Column Header
Excel 2000 I eliminated my row and column headers. How do I get them back? Thanks PJ Go to the Tools menu, choose Options then the View tab. There, check the "Row and column headers" setting. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "PJ Usher" <pjusher@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23U8611qPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Excel 2000 > > I eliminated my row and column headers. How do I get them > back? Thanks > > PJ > > That's it!!! Thanks "Chip P...