bold text of referenced cell show in formula cell

I have a VLookup formula to another worksheet, but I need the bold text of
the referenced cells to show up as bold in the formula cell.

I understand you can do that with Conditional formating if the data is in
the same worksheet, but my data is in a different worksheet and it gives me
an error.

You can refer to another sheet for CF if you define a name for a cell on
other the sheet.

i.e.    defined name "apple" refers to Sheet2A1

On Sheet1  in B2  CF>Formula is:  =B2=apple

BUT..........you cannot CF the results of a formula based upon just whether
or not the source or part of the source is Bold.

You can only CF on the value of the source cell.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:54:01 -0800, zabcikranch
<zabcikranch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a VLookup formula to another worksheet, but I need the bold text of
>the referenced cells to show up as bold in the formula cell.
>
>I understand you can do that with Conditional formating if the data is in
>the same worksheet, but my data is in a different worksheet and it gives me
>an error.

0
Gord

Dynamic chart generation: Run time Error '1004: Method 'Cells' of object'_Global' fai
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, I am trying to generate a chart with multiple series. The number o series is not fixed and can be any number. I recorded a macro and the modified the code. 'Counter' refers to the number of the series and have referenced it in a worksheet. I am getting the error in the lin that is bold. Thank you for your help. The code is as follows: Dim Counter As Integer Dim i As Integer Sheets("With TC").Select Counter = Cells(38, 13).Value ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLine With Sheets("VP_Wit...

convert formula to its value
I have column made up of formulas that I want to convert the formula to it's value. Is this an option in Excel Copy the range, then edit, paste special, values. Robin Hammond www.enhanceddatasystems.com "Andrea" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08fe01c50734$387b84c0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... >I have column made up of formulas that I want to convert > the formula to it's value. Is this an option in Excel Yes, Highlight the range of cell, select Copy. From the Edit menu, select Paste Special. Choose Values. -- Rob van Gelder - htt...

Expired options transactions not showing inMonthly Income and Expe
When I pull up the Monthly Income and Expenses report, I noticed that my capital gain totals were inflated. Upon investigation, I found that options contracts that expired are not included in the report (while sold options were) when calculating capital gains. The Capital Gains report correctly includes them. I've looked the Customize menu and couldn't figure out how to get it included. Suggestions? Thanks! jerrydy wrote: > When I pull up the Monthly Income and Expenses report, I noticed that my > capital gain totals were inflated. Upon investigation, I found that option...

Why Does This Formula Return an Error??
:confused: Hi, what am I doing wrong with the following formula: =countif(sheet1:sheet31!E6:E35,">=1") FOR some reason this formula fails when I use the (sheet1:sheet31) wit the column range (E6:E35). Is it possible to include a multiple sheet count and column range i the same Formula? Thanks for any helpful responses.. By the way, the formula works ok just as long as I'm not trying to rea multiple sheets.. Please help on this -- Mh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mhz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=...

Formula Query
I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help with a formula that would be of tremendous help to me. As someone who does a good deal of trading on ebay I use excel 97 to keep a running tab on my profit margins. The problem is I really want it to be more accurate. As ebay charges a final 'Value Fee' based on a percentage of the final sale price, I wanted to know how I could use this in a formula. The fees range as follows: Selling price of �0 - �29.99 - Ebay takes - 5.25% Selling price of �30.00 - �599.99 - Ebay takes - 3.25% Selling price of �600.00 and up - Ebay takes - 1....

how to show a URL link in a simple dialog window such as messagebox?
Dear all, I want to design a very simple dialog, asking a question, expect an answer; or warning the user about something without expecting an answer. In either case, I would like to have a URL link on the dialog window, and upon user clicking on that link, a new browser window will be pop up and show that webpage. I guess this should be able to done fairly easily in MSVC.NET, How to do that? Thank you so much! -Lucy http://www.microsoft.com/msj/1297/c1297.aspx -- --------------------------------------------------- Automate your software builds with Visual Build Pro http://www.kinook...

Change the default cell size in Microsoft Excel?
I've been trying all morning to figure out how to change the default cell size in Microsoft Excel so that each cell is the size of four cells normally. Is this possible? I realize I can select four cells at a time and then merge them but I need page after page of cells this size and its not very efficient to do it this way. Thanks in advance, James Open an excel sheet and click on Format coloumn standard width then put in the width you need Thanks Simon -- simon ----------------------------------------------------------------------- simonc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com...

Generating cell content based on user input -HELP!!
I'm throwing myself on the accumulated power of the forum and hope there are people out there that can help me with this please?!? I am trying to predict the age of outstanding work to the month end. I have set up a table that has the population of cases in house at start of month. In columns to right of this I have end of month date for each month I am projecting to. Following this is a calc field for each date to work out age of case at each month end. This data is used through the indirect function to calculate the average age of cases at the end of each month. To get it to wo...

Help with decling balance formula
I am trying to setup a worksheet with this scenrioas an example: Opening Balance off $300 in Columun O6 First deduction of $30.00 in Columun N7 I want to show a declining balance as additional deductions are entered in Columun N Thank you in advance for your support. HankL Hi HankL, If the deductions in Column N are +ve, try: =O6-SUM(N7:OFFSET(N7,COUNT(N:N)-1,)) If the deductions in Column N are -ve, try: =O6+SUM(N7:OFFSET(N7,COUNT(N:N)-1,)) If you know the last possible cell in Column N that will be used for the deductions, replace 'OFFSET(N7,COUNT(N:N)-1,)' with that cell ...

percentage formula #4
I need help with a formula for percentage of the time kids are in class.... AG37 is Absent AH37 is present AI37 is the percentage of time they are there???? That is my problem, I have tried but it doesn't come out right.... Thanks Tracy In AI37: =ah37/(ag37+ah37) =present/(absent+present) =present/(total days) Format as percentage. format|cells|number tab Tracy wrote: > > I need help with a formula for percentage of the time kids are in class.... > > AG37 is Absent > AH37 is present > AI37 is the percentage of time they are there???? > > That is my probl...

How can I plot a graph using 4 daxes to show relationships?
Hello, I would like to plot a graph showing the relationships between 4 variables. (this is engineering, and want to plot values at which failure will occur) I want to have a mad awesome sweet graph with 4 axis set up and a curve that goes around and probably joins up somewhere making some kind of shape. Is there anyway I can do this in excel? Regards, Scott Excel doesn't even do three axes well, certainly not in XYZ value axis form. I doubt you'll find any graphics package that attempts four axes in 2D space (i.e., screen or paper). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel...

Excel Cells appear to "Stick" When working
Good morning all, Can anyone help me on a little matter regarding what seems to be sticky keys in excel?. We use both Excel 97 and 2000 here, and I just had a couple of problems from both versions. When a user tries to make changes to an excel spread sheet, they select one cell, then when they move the mouse around, more cells are selected. Now we have had something like this before, and the resolution is to depress Shift+Tab then Ctrl. Or another problem can be solved by the F8 key, or the Extensable option I think it is. In this instance non of these works. Everytime you start up excel, t...

how to change data in worksheet in text without confirming each s.
how to change data in worksheet in text without confirming each single cell with F2 One way to try: Select the column Click Data > Text to Columns > Finish -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A237153C-3A76-4F04-BA0E-C4555F255E4C@microsoft.com... > how to change data in worksheet in text without confirming each single cell > with F2 ...

Outlook 2002 on Exchange 5.5 -- RTF to Plain Text issues
The owner of our company wants ALL email sent to him in Rich Text Format so he can use an abbreviation program he has that works with MS Word when replying. I created a document telling people how to change their settings for Outlook to ensure all messages are sent in Rich Text. My problem is that since he travels so much he wants to be a POP user on our server. If I send him a message from my PC directly connected to the Exchange server he receives it in RTF. If the President of the company (who is also a POP user) sends him a msg in RTF he receives it in Plain Text. He wants me to expla...

Export a Table to a Text File
How do I export a Table to a text file? I need Fixed with and have a import specification. I can import from a text file to a table but now I need the other way. I have the table ready using queries and all I need is this last step. Create a macro with the TransferText action. It's quite easy to set the options in the lower pane of the macro design window. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Lillian" <libertysmith10@yahoo.com> wro...

How to align an OLE object in-line with its surround text?
Hi, I am using CRichEditView for display RTF. The problem is that CRichEditView from MFC does not display correctly ole objects in-line with their surround text. Is there anyway to interect with the display process of CRichEditView to adjust OLE objects' positions? ...

Can I link dates within 2 different cells to a calendar?
\Is is possible to set up an excel worksheet that has different columns (with different categories) of dates to link or import themselves into a outlook calendar for scheduling purposes? I am trying to show jobs that would carry over a period of days or weeks in a calendar format from an excel spreadhseet ...

Add text to begining of cells within a range based on specified criteria
I need to select the contents of a cell based on the contents of another cell and then I need to add that text to the begining of other cells until I reach the destination cell. below is an example of what i am trying to do: STANDARDS FOR FOREIGN LANGUAGE LEARNING Vocabulario en acci=F3n 1 Communication 1.1 Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions Communication 1.2 Students understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics Communication 1.3 Students present information, concepts, and i...

Formula Question #12
In the following formula: =IF($Y$2="","",IF(T24=$Y$2,(U24*0.5*$Y$3),IF(V24=$Y$2,(W24*0.5*$Y$3),IF(X24=$Y$2,(Y24*0.5*$Y$3))))-(U24+W24+Y24)) How do I change all of the $Y values to X. Is there a way to do that all at one time? Thanks, Tom On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:43:47 -0700, Tom G <invalid@invalid.com> wrote: >In the following formula: > >=IF($Y$2="","",IF(T24=$Y$2,(U24*0.5*$Y$3),IF(V24=$Y$2,(W24*0.5*$Y$3),IF(X24=$Y$2,(Y24*0.5*$Y$3))))-(U24+W24+Y24)) > >How do I change all of the $Y values to X. Is there a way to do that >al...

Migration of formulas between DEV1 and DEV2 instances of MSPS 2007
We have several custom fields using formula's in a DEV1 environment. We have a second environment, DEV2, configured to connect with a financial package (DSL) using a Microsoft developed connector. We wish to move the fields (and views) in DEV1 to DEV2. When we run playbook we get error message '09:54:09 : WARNING: View CW Team Members Reports uses non-backed-up custom field Estimate Hours Remaining. This view will not be backed up.' for each field with formula. I have seen some blog indication that playbook might not handle custom fileds with formulas well but...

Strange Problem with Chart and Plot Visible Cells Option
I'm deslecting the "Plot visible cells only" option on some charts in order to display a chart while hiding the data. It works well except for one case. On one chart when I deselect this option, Excel adds some additional series' to my chart and also changes the range of my X axis labels. Does anyone have a clue about this? I'm totally stumped. Note that on all my charts I've using the Offset and CountA functions to create dynamic charts that automatically update the chart when new data is added. Thanks very much. Marcus Marcus - If your series are in columns...

I want to only at cells that are in bold to a total in Excel
My colleague has gone through a table and highlighted certain cells in bold. I would like to write a formula that only adds the totals that are in bold. It seems to me that I need the reverse of the conditional formatting option, is this possible? I am using Office 2003. Thanks You'll need to use a UDF. One way: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sumbold.html Note that there's no event in XL that causes a recalculation when a cell format changes, so you'll have to specifically recalculate after setting/clearing the bold format to be sure that the result of the UDF is...

query-based distribution group not showing in Outlook
Software: Exchange 2003 standard and Outlook 2003 I have created a query-based distribution group and it isn't showing up in Outlook Address Book. If I create Distribution groups they show up in the Address Book. How do I get the query based groups to show in the Address Book? Under Exchange Advanced I have confirmed that the check box to hide list is unchecked. Thanks, Colin M. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:54:52 -0800, "Colin" <legendsfan@nospam.nospam> wrote: >Software: Exchange 2003 standard and Outlook 2003 > >I have created a query-based distribution ...

Text Wrapping and received Emails
I have received an email that has lines in it longer than the page width and dont wrap. I have tried help and searching here but cant find a way to have outlook automatically word wrap incoming messages to fit the text to the window any ideas please? Cheers JD Are you sure this is a Plain Text e-mail? These should be wrapped automatically for Outlook 2002 and 2003. HTML messages will be displayed in the way got formatted. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for...

Placing query results in a cell
I have a project where I can connect to a database, construct a query within a VBA module: mysql01 = " select ChildID, ChildName " mysql02 = " from tblChild " Now suppose I want to put the results of the query anywhere in the spreadhseet, i.e. in a specific cell. How do I do that? On Nov 26, 4:55=A0pm, Tangier <nitinhemm...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a project where I can connect to a database, construct a query > within a VBA module: > > mysql01 =3D " select ChildID, ChildName " > mysql02 =3D " from tblChild " > > Now suppo...