VBA Input box (or MsgBox) with pull down or choices

Hello,
MS Excel 2003 on XP PRO.

I'm looking to generate a popup (msg box or input box) that instead of free
form text has a "combobox" or "pulldown" to it.  So that the user picks a
value from a list, and hits OK.  This way they can't input incorrect values.

Is this possible?  If not I have back up methods but this would be PERFECT
for my application.

Thanks,
--
BlueWolverine
MSE - Mech. Eng.

Many options here.

From a simple worksheet Data Validation List to a UserForm with controls.

In between can be Combox, ListBox etc.

Depends what you want to do with the selection.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:28:03 -0700, BlueWolverine
<BlueWolverine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>MS Excel 2003 on XP PRO.
>
>I'm looking to generate a popup (msg box or input box) that instead of free
>form text has a "combobox" or "pulldown" to it.  So that the user picks a
>value from a list, and hits OK.  This way they can't input incorrect values.
>
>Is this possible?  If not I have back up methods but this would be PERFECT
>for my application.
>
>Thanks,

0
Gord
3/31/2010 6:52:47 PM
You might find this helpful:

http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

It gives several examples of how to create a UserForm and put controls on
it, which is baxically what you are asking about in your post.

"BlueWolverine" <BlueWolverine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> MS Excel 2003 on XP PRO.
>
> I'm looking to generate a popup (msg box or input box) that instead of
> free
> form text has a "combobox" or "pulldown" to it.  So that the user picks a
> value from a list, and hits OK.  This way they can't input incorrect
> values.
>
> Is this possible?  If not I have back up methods but this would be PERFECT
> for my application.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> BlueWolverine
> MSE - Mech. Eng.
> Go BLUE!

0
JLGWhiz

Pop Up Box #2
This code compares a cell value to other cells in the same row and gives pop up if it is a dup. Can this be modified to compare a cell value to existing work sheet names? Thanks! Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Application.Intersect(Target, _ Rows(2)) Is Nothing Then If Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf( _ Rows(2), "=" & Target.Value) > 1 Then MsgBox "Please enter a unique value." Target.ClearContents Target.Select End If ...

Lead Tab
I am converting the Potential Account Size field to in Lead Tab - Web Info Tab to a combo box using jscript in the OnLoad event. This code worked just fine in the Salutation field in Lead Tab-General Tab but refuses to work in this field and I am relatively new to jscript. Can someone give me a clue to what is wrong? Here is the code: //DROP DOWN BOX FOR POTENTIAL ACCOUNT SIZE //The potential account size lookup field to change. var fieldN = "new_potentialaccountsize"; //I'm saving the current potential account size value to set it as the default in the created combobox. ...

Hello, Does any one know how to customize the icon on the task bar located on the top of dialog box? Thank you! If you already have an icon associated with the dialog: Open the resource editor, open the icon that is associated with the dialog. From the menu select Image/Change Image Type, and select the 16X16 whatever you do there will show up on top of the dialog box. Icon files can have more than one image. As long as each has a unique size and/or color depth. So when chaning icon images you can either get rid of the small one, and have the system do icon scaling for you, or you will n...

A Newbie question. Input value and have return inserted in Word
I have a listing of numbers with names/addresses in Excel and would like to be able to enter a number and have the corresponding info returned into a Word merge file. Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

combo box 02-15-08
Hello I was wondering how to prevent a combo box from showing duplicate entries. Thank you, David hi David, David wrote: > I was wondering how to prevent a combo box from showing duplicate entries. Use SELECT DISTINCT|DISTINCTROW * FROM [yourTable] {GROUP BY distinctFieldList} Take a look at the online help for each of the key words. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Print, Merged Cells, and VBA

rotate text box
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How can I rotate a text box or rotate text in a text box? I have a lengthy document (portrait setup) with page numbers in the footer. Works well. However on a few pages I have tables and charts that must be in landscape. When I create a section break to landscape those pages the page numbers move to the right-middle side of the page (if looking at it in portrait). I need to insert a text box, rotate the text, and place the box where the page number should be (bottom of page if viewed in portrait). <br&g...

Restoring Junk E-Mail Add Sender to Blocked Senders List Pop-Up Confirmation Box
Hi, When Outlook 2003 is first installed, and you right-click on an email and then select junk email: add sender to blocked senders list from the context menu, a pop-up confirmation box appears that simply confirms that the sender has been added to the blocked senders list. There is a checkbox that you can check here that will prevent this pop-up box from appearing in the future, and I accidentally checked it. How do I get this pop-up box to re-appear? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks - marc ...

VBA and Scheduled task in Outlook

How to display unique choice on continuous forms
Hello, We have a contact database and I'm having a hard time displaying a person's preferred address. Here's our setup: tblPeople *PersonID PersonName tblCompanies *CompanyID CompanyName CompanyAddress tblAffiliations *AffiliationID CompanyID PersonID AffiliationAddress UseAffiliationAddress This structure allows a person to work at a company yet maintain a separate work address. When UseAffiliationAddress is checked, then their affiliation address, not the company's address, is their preferred mailing address. I have a form for People (frmPeople), with a subform sho...

Opening and Closing Dialog Boxes
Hi, I'm developing a C++ Program using visual Studio 6. I have a problem with dialog boxes. I need to have Multiple Dialog boxes, and each one has different functions on it. For example, one has Contact Informaiton, another is the welcome screen. I only want to have one of these dialogs open at anyone time, so I need a way of Opening a new dialog box when a button is clicked, and when the new dialog box is open it becomes the main window and the other one is closed. I think I need to use modeless dialog boxes for this, but I'm not sure. I have tried everything I can think of....

vba select field

VLOOKUP in VBA

Turn pc speaker on/off with vba code

Excel and VBA
I am very interested in learning more about using VBA in office, especially Excel. Can you post some resources (online, books, etc) that can be used to help learn about using Visual Basic in office. Thanks! Here's a good place to start: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "Bob Sinclair" wrote: > I am very interested in learning more about using VBA in office, especially > Excel. Can you post some resources (online, books, etc) that can be used to > help learn about using Visual Basic in office. >...

Capitalize first letter in text box
Is there a way to capitalize the first letter entered into a text box, such as a field that would ask for a Name? <setabery@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1179147166.403763.312140@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to capitalize the first letter entered into a text box, > such as a field that would ask for a Name? This should work for you. Substitute your textbox name for Text0: Private Sub Text0_KeyUp(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer) ' Changes first character in a text box to Sentence Case ' Arvin Meyer 4/30/1999 On Error GoTo Err_Text0 If Len(Me...

VBA Customization
Is there a way to get the name of the current company through VBA in Great Plains 8.0? Thanks for all your help. open GreatPlains. Add the current window, it will add the Toolbar then add fields choose the company name on the top left after the user id. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get the name of the current company through VBA in Great >Plains 8.0? > >Thanks for all your help. > > > >. > Thanks. I tried, but I couldn't add company name to the field list. It opens up the login screen instead. Any thoughts? Thanks again. "ger...

Linked combo boxes
have a dog show registration form created in Excel 97 I have a database named ShowTable in which I have columns for Club, Secretary, Address, Town/City, Postcode (zip) On the main form, I have a combo box which is linked to Club column and this places the club name in a separate cell (say c23) What I would like is to have the Club name linked with the correct Secretary name (to appear in say C24) And the rest of the information to do follow the same procedure (say (C25 onward) I have tried VLOOKUP but this only returns me one set of names (Secretary, Addresses, etc) and does not link with the...

How do I use a check box to accept a calculation
I am trying to create a ledger that has both current balance and the balance my bank has. Right now it can only tell me what my current balance is. My question is, How can I use a check box to initiate a calculation? This way is there is no check in the box then the calculation does not happen, but when I put a check in the box the calculation happens. This way when my bank shows something that has posted I can place the check and automatically balance my check book. Could you specify exactly, what your ledger format is? "Joejoethecrackman" wrote: > I am trying to cre...

Run VBA without show
I want excel to run the VBA code without showing me what it is doing. Which code should i use for that? Sub RunWithoutShow() Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Paste the vba code here 'end of code 'Change screenupdating property to true Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub I hope this helps... Selva V Pasupathy For more on Excel, VBA, & other Resources Please visit: http://socko.wordpress.com You may also (inserting into quote from code example bellow from Socko) Use Application.Visible property to hide the application entirely Sub RunWithoutShow() Appli...

Form Controls vs VBA controls
I am new to VBA so just finding my feet, can anyone help me with th differences between an excel control (i.e. one from the form toolbox lets say a checkBox and a vba checkBox? From trying the two controls the I have noticed is that you canno capture the change event of the VBA checkbox in the code module, it ha to be done via the sheet (i.e. checkbox on sheet1, code goes in chang event on sheet1) the control is placed on, is this correct? What woul you do if you have three sheets with the same controls just differen data, do you really have to code the control 3 times? The excel control ho...