Using VBA to change Excel layouts

Our company has designed 4 different spreadsheet designs.  The same
data gets stored in any of the 4 spreadsheet layouts....the only difference
is that some spreadsheets use different colors, have different fonts and
cell sizes and etc...

I thought it would be nice to create just ONE spreadsheet that contains
a combo-box or list-box or drop-down box which allows the user to
select 1 of the 4 layout choices, then I want VBA to programattically setup
the spreadsheet layout according to the users choice.  Does that make sense?

Does anybody know any good ways to implement something like this??  Right
now the only thing I can think of is create a huge "Select Case" statement
which
changes the spreadsheet properties/colors/cell sizes according to the user's
choice.

Please do give feedback.  Thank you everyone!

0
Robert

You could make four templates and simply give the user a choice of which
template to use.  The template would have to be saved as a different file
name than the template, but if it is a true template file (.xlt), it will
require that the user do that.  Then you could use a listbox or combobox
with the four choices and when the user selects, it runs a macro to open the
xelected template.

"Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Our company has designed 4 different spreadsheet designs.  The same
> data gets stored in any of the 4 spreadsheet layouts....the only
> difference
> is that some spreadsheets use different colors, have different fonts and
> cell sizes and etc...
>
> I thought it would be nice to create just ONE spreadsheet that contains
> a combo-box or list-box or drop-down box which allows the user to
> select 1 of the 4 layout choices, then I want VBA to programattically
> setup
> the spreadsheet layout according to the users choice.  Does that make
> sense?
>
> Does anybody know any good ways to implement something like this??  Right
> now the only thing I can think of is create a huge "Select Case" statement
> which
> changes the spreadsheet properties/colors/cell sizes according to the
> user's choice.
>
> Please do give feedback.  Thank you everyone!

0
JLGWhiz
11/25/2009 9:53:13 PM
Well, I was hoping to avoid file open operations.  I kind of just
wanted the spreedsheet to transform itself "on the fly" or
immediately when a user makes a listbox selection or something.

So, my current code idea would look as follows:

Select Case spreedsheet_choice
  Case 1:
    Columns(1).ColumnWidth = 12
    Columns(2).ColumnWidth = 12
    Columns(3).ColumnWidth = 12
    Cells(1, 1).Value = "Name"
    Cells(1, 2).Value = "Age"
    Cells(1, 3).Value = "Sex"
    Cells(1, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    Cells(1, 2).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    Cells(1, 3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
    ' etc etc
  Case 2:
    Columns(1).ColumnWidth = 5
    Columns(2).ColumnWidth = 5
    Columns(3).ColumnWidth = 5
    Cells(1, 1).Value = "Client Name"
    Cells(1, 2).Value = "Age"
    Cells(1, 3).Value = "M/F"
    Cells(1, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    Cells(1, 2).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
    Cells(1, 3).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
     ' etc etc
  Case 3:
       ' etc etc...
  Case 4:
       ' etc etc
End Select

Would the code above be just as effective as your method of loading
a template file???  Is my method above too complicated??

What do you think??

Thank you!

"JLGWhiz" <JLGWhiz@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> You could make four templates and simply give the user a choice of which
> template to use.  The template would have to be saved as a different file
> name than the template, but if it is a true template file (.xlt), it will
> require that the user do that.  Then you could use a listbox or combobox
> with the four choices and when the user selects, it runs a macro to open
> the xelected template.

0
Robert

HELP WITH VBA
I am trying to finish writing some simple program. My problem is that when I try and change the arguement from SELECTION CHANGE to CHANGE, it doesn't work. Can someone help? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("B3").Value = 2 Then Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F3") = Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("F4").Value End Sub My second problem is that I would like my data rather than appearing in a cell, appear in a TEXT BOX. What do I do? Copying your exact same post from 3 days ago word...

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using secured OMA

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...