sumifs help

I have the following formula.

=SUMIFS(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)

It now needs to be changed to a formula that can handle text instead of
numbers.

How do i do it?

Use Countif instead of Sumif

from

=SUMIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)

=CountIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)

Do you really have a function Countifs with an "S" at the end?  thie
maybe an UDF that needs to be modified.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

joel
1/20/2010 8:05:57 AM
SUMIFS/COUNTIFS are Excel 2007 functions!

Bob

"joel" <joel.452wlb@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> Use Countif instead of Sumif
>
> from
>
> =SUMIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)

> =CountIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)
>
> Do you really have a function Countifs with an "S" at the end?  thie
> maybe an UDF that needs to be modified.
>

> --
> joel
> joel's Profile: 229
> View this thread:
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=171628
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Bob
1/20/2010 9:03:54 AM
Tried countif comes up with "too few arguments"
I looked at the syntax of countifs and there doesnt appear to be an
equivalent "sumrange", which in the formula is Table1[2].

Some additional info that you may require,
Table1[2] contains either a X or is blank and there will only ever be 1 cell
in the range Table1[2] that is a match.

Any more ideas?

Regards
Primed

Hi

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> SUMIFS/COUNTIFS are Excel 2007 functions!
>
> Bob
>
> "joel" <joel.452wlb@thecodecage.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Use Countif instead of Sumif
> >
> > from
> >
> > =SUMIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)

> > =CountIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)
> >
> > Do you really have a function Countifs with an "S" at the end?  thie
> > maybe an UDF that needs to be modified.
> >

> > --
> > joel
> > joel's Profile: 229
> > View this thread:
> > http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=171628
> >
> > [url="http://www.thecodecage.com"]Microsoft Office Help[/url]
> >

> .

COUNTIFS doesn't require a sumrange.

HTH

Bob

"primed" <primed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tried countif comes up with "too few arguments"
> I looked at the syntax of countifs and there doesnt appear to be an
> equivalent "sumrange", which in the formula is Table1[2].
>
> Some additional info that you may require,
> Table1[2] contains either a X or is blank and there will only ever be 1
> cell
> in the range Table1[2] that is a match.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> Regards
> Primed
>

> Hi
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
>> SUMIFS/COUNTIFS are Excel 2007 functions!
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "joel" <joel.452wlb@thecodecage.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Use Countif instead of Sumif
>> >
>> > from
>> >
>> > =SUMIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)

>> > =CountIF(Table1[2],$A$11:$A$22,$A38,$B$11:$B$22,$B38)
>> >
>> > Do you really have a function Countifs with an "S" at the end?  thie
>> > maybe an UDF that needs to be modified.
>> >

>> > --
>> > joel
>> > joel's Profile: 229
>> > View this thread:
>> > http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=171628
>> >
>> > [url="http://www.thecodecage.com"]Microsoft Office Help[/url]
>> >

>> .

0
Bob
1/21/2010 8:54:14 AM
Correct, which makes the countif solution not workable. ie i have to search
two colums for two criteria matches then copy the result from the matching
row in column (Table1[2]).

Table1[2] used to contain a number 1 it now contains an X or is blank.

Any more suggestions?
Your help much appreciated.

Regards
Primed

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> COUNTIFS doesn't require a sumrange.
>
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> "primed" <primed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tried countif comes up with "too few arguments"
> > I looked at the syntax of countifs and there doesnt appear to be an
> > equivalent "sumrange", which in the formula is Table1[2].
> >
> > Some additional info that you may require,
> > Table1[2] contains either a X or is blank and there will only ever be 1
> > cell
> > in the range Table1[2] that is a match.
> >
> > Any more ideas?
> >
> > Regards
> > Primed
> >

> > Hi
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> >> SUMIFS/COUNTIFS are Excel 2007 functions!
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>
> >> "joel" <joel.452wlb@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

HI

I am confused now!

You say that you want to 'copy' the result from the matching row !?!

I have a feeling that a SUMPRODUCT  formula can do what you need, but
to be sure, can you post some sample data, with an description of what
you want and the expected result.

Regards,
Per

On 22 Jan., 04:26, primed <pri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Correct, which makes the countif solution not workable. ie i have to sear=
ch
> two colums for two criteria matches then copy the result from the matchin=
> row in column (Table1[2]). =A0
>
> Table1[2] used to contain a number 1 it now contains an X or is blank.
>
> Any more suggestions?
> Your help much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Primed
>

> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > COUNTIFS doesn't require a sumrange.
>
> > HTH
>
> > Bob
>
> > "primed" <pri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Tried countif comes up with "too few arguments"
> > > I looked at the syntax of countifs and there doesnt appear to be an
> > > equivalent "sumrange", which in the formula is Table1[2].
>
> > > Some additional info that you may require,
> > > Table1[2] contains either a X or is blank and there will only ever be=
 1
> > > cell
> > > in the range Table1[2] that is a match.
>
> > > Any more ideas?
>
> > > Regards
> > > Primed
>
> > > Hi

> > .- Skjul tekst i anf=F8rselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anf=F8rselstegn -

0
Per
1/22/2010 3:44:07 AM
For counting or summing multiple columns use sumproduct.  Something like
this

This if equivalent of a CountIF
=sumproduct(--(A1:A100=5),--(B1:B100=D5))

The -- converter the True/False to  1/0.

The is equivalent to Summing column C when columns A and B match the
criteria

=sumproduct(--(A1:A100=5),--(B1:B100=D5),C1:C100)

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=171628

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
joel
1/22/2010 3:49:21 AM
The X's in table 2 need to be automatically populated from the X's in Table 1
using the project and phase columns as criteria.

Table1
Project   Phase                         1   2    3   4   5
1           Initiation                      x    x   x
1           Construction                           x   x    x
2           Initiation                           x    x
2           Construction                      x    x   x    x

Table 2
Project   Phase             Resource   1   2   3   4   5
1           Initiation           Tom         x    x   x
1           Initiation           Joe           x    x   x
2           Initiation           Tom              x    x
2           Initiation           Joe                x   x
1           Construction     Tom                   x    x   x
1           Construction     Joe                     x    x   x
2           Construction     Tom              x    x    x   x
2           Construction     Joe                x    x    x   x

"Per Jessen" wrote:

> HI
>
> I am confused now!
>
> You say that you want to 'copy' the result from the matching row !?!
>
> I have a feeling that a SUMPRODUCT  formula can do what you need, but
> to be sure, can you post some sample data, with an description of what
> you want and the expected result.
>
> Regards,
> Per
>
> On 22 Jan., 04:26, primed <pri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Correct, which makes the countif solution not workable. ie i have to search
> > two colums for two criteria matches then copy the result from the matching
> > row in column (Table1[2]).
> >
> > Table1[2] used to contain a number 1 it now contains an X or is blank.
> >
> > Any more suggestions?
> > Your help much appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> > Primed
> >

> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > > COUNTIFS doesn't require a sumrange.
> >
> > > HTH
> >
> > > Bob
> >
> > > "primed" <pri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > .- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
> >
> > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> .

Hi, Tried the sumproduct formula, seems it only works on numbers and not
letters.

"joel" wrote:

> For counting or summing multiple columns use sumproduct.  Something like
> this
>
> This if equivalent of a CountIF
> =sumproduct(--(A1:A100=5),--(B1:B100=D5))
>

> The -- converter the True/False to  1/0.
>

> The is equivalent to Summing column C when columns A and B match the
> criteria
>
> =sumproduct(--(A1:A100=5),--(B1:B100=D5),C1:C100)
>

> --
> joel
> joel's Profile: 229
> View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=171628
>
> [url="http://www.thecodecage.com"]Microsoft Office Help[/url]
>
> .

Sumproduct will work on strings but you need to put the x's in double
quotes and it is case sensitve

=SUMProduct(--($A$11:$A$22=$A38),--($B$11:$B$22=$B38),--($C$11:$C$38="x"),--($D$11:$D$38="x"),--($E$11:$E$38="x"),--($F$11:$F$38="x"),--($G$11:$G$38="x"))

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=171628

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
joel
1/22/2010 11:25:56 AM
I would use VBA

Public Sub ProcessData()
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim NextRow As Long
Dim aryUsers As Variant
Dim NumUsers As Long
Dim sh As Worksheet

    aryUsers = Array("Tom", "Joe")
    Set sh = Worksheets("Sheet2")

    With Worksheets("Sheet1")

        .Rows(1).Copy sh.Range("A1")
        sh.Columns("B").Insert
        sh.Range("B1").Value = "Resource"

        NextRow = 1
        For i = 2 To LastRow

            For j = LBound(aryUsers) To UBound(aryUsers)

                NextRow = NextRow + 1
                .Cells(i, "A").Copy sh.Cells(NextRow, "A")
                sh.Cells(NextRow, "B").Value = aryUsers(j)
                .Cells(i, "B").Resize(, 6).Copy sh.Cells(NextRow, "C")
            Next j
        Next i
    End With

End Sub

> The X's in table 2 need to be automatically populated from the X's in
> Table 1
> using the project and phase columns as criteria.
>

> Table1
> Project   Phase                         1   2    3   4   5
> 1           Initiation                      x    x   x
> 1           Construction                           x   x    x
> 2           Initiation                           x    x
> 2           Construction                      x    x   x    x
>
> Table 2
> Project   Phase             Resource   1   2   3   4   5
> 1           Initiation           Tom         x    x   x
> 1           Initiation           Joe           x    x   x
> 2           Initiation           Tom              x    x
> 2           Initiation           Joe                x   x
> 1           Construction     Tom                   x    x   x
> 1           Construction     Joe                     x    x   x
> 2           Construction     Tom              x    x    x   x
> 2           Construction     Joe                x    x    x   x
>

> "Per Jessen" wrote:
>
>> HI
>>
>> I am confused now!
>>
>> You say that you want to 'copy' the result from the matching row !?!
>>
>> I have a feeling that a SUMPRODUCT  formula can do what you need, but
>> to be sure, can you post some sample data, with an description of what
>> you want and the expected result.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Per
>>
>> On 22 Jan., 04:26, primed <pri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> > Correct, which makes the countif solution not workable. ie i have to
>> > search
>> > two colums for two criteria matches then copy the result from the
>> > matching
>> > row in column (Table1[2]).
>> >
>> > Table1[2] used to contain a number 1 it now contains an X or is blank.
>> >
>> > Any more suggestions?
>> > Your help much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Primed

>> > - Vis tekst i anf�rselstegn -
>>
>> .

0
Bob

MSCRM Migration Framework Help
I have used the MSCRM Migration Framework to import many Accounts and Contacts, but am not getting an error when trying to import Opportunities. When running the "microsoft.crm.datamigration.cdfmigrationtool.exe" program it successfully tests on the Accounts and Contacts but I get the following error on the Opportunity migration. "Processing Entity: Opportunity Entering Correlate Starting Migration Phase A SQL Server error has occurred Migration Phase Complete" I have double-checked the Opportunity Mapping many times but can not determine what is generating t...

HELP! Mail forwarding for a user - Exch. 5.5
I am stumped. I have Exchange 5.5 SP4, patched, on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a, in Windows 2000 domain. We are part of WAN, our server is forwarding internet mail to a gateway (Brightmail), and receiving incoming emails for our domain from the gateway. We desperately need to forward email for a few users to an Internet address for a few weeks. I tried to do it by the book: created an external receipient with an Internet address, then for the user account, added the external recipeint address in delivery options, check delivery to both check box. Result: email is not being forwarded. The error...

Help Read-Only message, Discussion group ideas all used
Excel 2003: I am trying to copy 6 excel workbooks onto a CD-RW on my E Drive and keep getting Read-only on the CD after copying and none of the original workbooks have protection in place nor have properties of read only that I am copying from. I have tried: 1) putting them into a zipped compressed folder and then sending to E drive 2) unchecking the close this window after copying finished on the CD writing wizard 3) Gone to accessories>Window Explorer>E drive>file name>properties>uncheck read only and it comes up with an error and states access denied). 4) Not putting the...

Need help!
Hi all: I am trying to extract some data from an Access query using MS Query while in Excel. The access query will extract the data from the data source without any problems. (I can even cut and past the data from the access query to the excel spreadsheet.) The problem arises when I go to refresh the data in the excel spreadsheet using the MS query. I get the following error message: "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Invalid character value for cast specification on column number 4 (SumofSumofTransValue)" Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Everything wo...

Outlook 2000
This seems to happen periodically (for no apparent reason). My outside laptop users will not be able to connect to Exchange server... Once in a while, re-booting server will "fix" it - but not this time. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks, -- @ Sherry @ If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.543 / Virus Database: 337 - Release Date: 11/21/03 "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> ...

Help with determining deadlines
By giving initial date and the number of Business Days (BD),excluding holidays & weekends, I want to know what the date would be. For Example: initial date = 11/15/2007 BD = 10 Deadline date = 11/30/2007 In the above period there are 3 days (weekends) and 2 days thanks giving. any idea? thanks Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/access/datetime/date0012.htm at "The Access Web", or at my September, 2004 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart Access". You can download the column (and sample database) for free from http://www.accessmvp....

Need some help with size limits
I am new to exchange 2003 and am setting up size limits. I have the default size limit set on the data store and for some users I'm setting custom ones on the Users and Computers. I just changed my user account with custom setting to ensure that the restrictions are being enforced and nothing happened. I'm guessing (or hoping) that this is because I just set it and it takes some time. How much time does it take and is there any way to force the settings to be enforced sooner. Also, does cached mode adhere to these restrictions as expected and does it take even longer to start enfo...

help moving info from one sheet to another automatically
I have a form that I need to create that will take information from the previous months form and paste it into this months form in the correct colum.... automatically.. or run a little routine..... I need it so the user doesn't have to know how to manipulate excel too much..... for example I have a sheet set up that has a total billed to customer in colume H. so the next month.. I need to create another form and have that colume of numbers move into colume D(previous months column) on the next months form. Then the current month information will go in and be added to the previous mo...

Help Help Help!
I installed a new hard drive, did a clean install of XP on it and slaved the old drive (which had Money 2001 on it). Some of my other programs on the slave drive would open, but when I tried to open Money 2001, it told me to reinstall. Thinking I was doing a good thing, I installed 2003 and then could not find any of my FOUR YEARS of data! I uninstalled 2003, and tried installing 2001 to the primary drive, but now every time I try to open it, it tells me to 'reinstall from the original disk'. I need serious help here! Thanks.. J. Job #1 is to find your data file(s). Searc...

outlook 2003
I am using outlook 2003. I created a contacts folder yesterday. But this morning when i opened my outlook to send an email that folder wasn't there. But when i went to address book i can see that folder in address book but not in my regular contacts folders. Can someone explain me why is that? and how do i make that folder appear in my regular contacts folder? I searched online most of the people have problem not seeing the contacts in address book, but this is totally opposite. Thank you again, Jack jack <jackbrown_890@yahoo.com> wrote: > I am using outlook 2003. > I create...

Noob needs Excel 2007 help
Hi - I just got MS Office 2007 Professional which, of course, includes Excel 12. I need to keep track of vehicle mileage, reimbursement amounts, and create an offset of those reimbursement amounts against the IRS standard mileage deduction, so that at the end of the year I only have to plug a few figures into my tax return. I also need to make daily entries. Now, I am an absolute, unconditional, verified noob when it comes to speadsheets. What I need is a basic tutorial on how to set this up. There's a Excel 2007 for Dummies book as well as an Excel 2007 Reference for Dummies bo...

Traffic needed. Can anyone help?
Hey everyone, I'd like to ask your advice, or at least the advice of all of you who are either interested in, or already involved in, creating income from the internet. I'm not exactly experienced in on-line money making, in fact all I've managed so far is money losing! I don't suppose anyone gets it completely right first time so I'm sure you all know what I mean. Probably my failings are due in no small part to me and my own efforts, or lack of them. I know I've been guilty of not giving things a fair chance when I've not got the results I want straight away. Le...

Help With CRTL+END
Hello, Whenever I delete some rows or columns at the end of a sheet CTRL+END takes me to where the old data was. Instead I want it to take me to the end of any visible data. The only way I have found to get around this is to paste the visible data into a new sheet. The CTRL+END will then stop at the end of the visible data. Is there any way to eliminate this added step? TIA Jim Mac Millan Ooops. I meant to type CTRL Sometimes saving and reopening will fix it. You may want to skim Debra Dalgleish's instructions: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Jim Mac Mi...

help with IF THEN #4
What is the correct syntax to write a statement that, in english, does this If cell L4 = 0 Then delete cells K4 through M4 and shift the cells up Better yet can something be written that checks all L cells for the 0 value and if it finds 0 then deletes the adjacent K through M cells and shifts all cells up TIA ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

HELP!need help to create a leaflet..
need to create an 8 page leaflet/booklet, or 2 books of 4 pages. cant find the template to do this! please help! File, page setup, booklet. Earlier versions of Publisher will say "special fold" -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm For better access to Microsoft Newsgroups http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/newsgroups/setup.asp "annaeb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:791D00CF-6548-48FF-98F9-63C9CEF43A11@microsoft.com... > need to create an 8 page leaflet/bo...

formula and value help
What is the formula for: the letter x = 3.7 for a possilbe grand total of 100% once all values are calculate Please explain in(quite) a bit more detail what you are trying to do -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Grass" <Grass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:274DFBFD-5044-4FD4-89E8-715B4944566B@microsoft.com... > What is the formula for: the letter x = 3.7 for a possilbe grand total of > 100% once all values are calculate I have 12 people I need to evaluate/audit. I have 27 questions they must answer and they either get the answer correct or incorr...

Filter Help with Pivots
After I update a pivot table from external data, my filters are out of whack. For example, if I change the criteria to pull from - after the update it still shows records previously that no longer are represented. In addition, additional values that are populated just shoot to the bottom of the filter instead of working into the sort alphabetically like the original update. I would like to know how I can update the filter along with the data so it only shows valid availalbe data, sorted correctly. I appreciate your help! -- helpnexcel ---------------------------------------------------...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Need help adding a formula to to cell with conditional formatting
Hi, I have a cell with the following conditional formatting =AND(S2<TODAY(),W2="",D2="x") If these conditions are met the cell S2 is bolded in red. I need to add the following to the cell "if the date in U2 is earlier than the date in S2 then bold S2 in black" S2 and U2 are calendar dates. Could somebody help me with a formula for the above and how to add it to the existing formula? Thanks If you want to use the formula as an another condition the use the below:- =AND(U2<>"",S2<>"",U2<S2) If you wa...

screen resolution/about blank/help file
I have checked my system with every virus program I have NAV McAfee both up to date subscriptions. My screen seeting will not change when I click the advanced tab and set it to not reboot or to reboot when I reboot the screen resolution is the always the same. When I start my PC IE appears automatically and the home page is : about Blank" I change the home page but when I restart always the same the PC resolution dosnt change and homepag is reet to about blank please help with this problem. I have Nvida tnt 64 display card. Also my help file wll not display the words or hyper links...

help with eval
Hi. Trying to set up the eval version / 5 users. For org name, i'm putting in "Adventure Works Cycle" and using the code from the implementation guide. However, it's telling me it's an invalid code. The only thing i can think of is that the domain name is not adventure-works.com Is that a prerequisite? Does anyone know of a guide specifically for installing the trial? Thanks, Scary The domain name does not matter. The key is to make sure the entry is exactly as it appears in the Implementation guide. Also, verify that the IG is for the correct version of...

Outlook express// Need help with yecode messages ?????
I use xp with outlook express. How do i open and use yecode messages???? I downloaded the yencode program but it does not open and i am just too dumb to make it work. Please HELP. THANKS Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the ...

PLEASE HELP!! Project Tasks are Causing My Tasks to appear Blank
Happy New Year, everyone. Perhaps you all can assist me with an issue that no one seems to know to fix. Recently, we have seen that some submitted tasks are causing the status managers issues when trying to approve the tasks in My Tasks. What I mean is this: - Resource adds time to a task in My Tasks - Resource submits the time to the Status Manager - Status Manager goes into PWA and navigates to Task Approvals - The Status Manager’s Task Approvals screen freezes and after a short while, they are brought to a blank My Tasks page which sho...

HELP!!!! Date Calculations
Hello, I posted this question a few weeks back and the answer I received, while greatly appreciated, did not work for me so I thought I'd try once more. I have created a spreadsheet to show two dates (date of birth, retirement date). I need to calculate how old the person is on their date of retirement (in years and months). So what I've done is created two columns, one for years and one for months (e.g. the person is 59 years and 8 months old). Here is where it gets complicated. If the person is born on the 14th of the month of before, then that month is NOT counted in...

New to formula's HELP
I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to generate a formula for ..Her is my scenerio. I have three colums of information that will cause person to move up and down a chart based on that info. ie. you have middle ground then if you go up it multiplies by 100 +%..If you mov down the chart it multiplies a total by less than 100 % depending o how many steps down the grid. ie... yrs licd moves down grid for eac yr someone is licd, then you move up based on next column # of yr susp, then you move up 5 steps for every 1 claim (third column) th 4th column is the step on this grid you end on t...