Storing BLOBs in excel files

Hello group,

(must have been asked before, but I don't seem to find the right google
terms)

Is there a way to store Large Binary Objects in cells? I have a list of
items that I want to associate with documents, such as picture, some
piece of text or HTML. I can not be sure it is text, so I need a way to
store it as binary objects, along with the list of items.

I don't need to be able to manipulate the BLOBs, just store them and
retrieve them.

Any help??

Thanks

Willem

--
Willem van Deursen, The Netherlands
wvandeursen_nospam@nospam_carthago.nl

Even binary files are in effect text and can be stored as text in cells,
but... The main problem is with characters under chr(14) which screw things
up when dumped to cells. Two approaches -

- Open the file as binary, convert each 0-255 'number' to a two digit Hex
string and build the string. The Hex string will be double the length of the
original file, plus a tad.

- Aim to keep as much as possible as 'characters' but convert the
troublesome ones below 14 (eg add 32 keeping a record of which characters
will later need to be reconverted with -32). This means the overall size
will not be much larger than the original file size (bit more work though)

With both approaches the resulting strings will need to be split into chunks
of 32k or less (if applicable) to fit into cells, again a bit more in the
way of record keeping.

Regards,
Peter T

"willem van deursen" <xxx@xxx.nl> wrote in message
> Hello group,
>
> (must have been asked before, but I don't seem to find the right google
> terms)
>
> Is there a way to store Large Binary Objects in cells? I have a list of
> items that I want to associate with documents, such as picture, some piece
> of text or HTML. I can not be sure it is text, so I need a way to store it
> as binary objects, along with the list of items.
>
> I don't need to be able to manipulate the BLOBs, just store them and
> retrieve them.
>
> Any help??
>
> Thanks
>
> Willem
>
> --
> Willem van Deursen, The Netherlands
> wvandeursen_nospam@nospam_carthago.nl
> replace _nospam@nospam_ for @ to get a valid email address
> www.carthago.nl

0
Peter
2/10/2010 5:12:49 PM
Thanks Peter, that seems to be the way to go. It does involve some pre-
and postprocessing, and I was hoping to avoid that!

Willem

--
Willem van Deursen, The Netherlands
wvandeursen_nospam@nospam_carthago.nl
replace _nospam@nospam_ for @ to get a valid email address
www.carthago.nl
0
willem

Image in Excel File is not getting copied
In a Excel File I have inserted one Image from Insert --> Picture --> Form File ... Now when programatically I use System.IO.File.Copy(srcFile, destFile) and make a copy of this excel file, then all the data in Excel File is copied but that image which I inserted is not shown in the destination file. What is the problem here? Thanks, Ashish ...

Exch 2003 store.exe terminates when ESM Replication Status selected
Exch 2003 SP1 on W2K SP4 - had been 5.5 until moving to Exch 2K swing server. 5.5 removed and Exch 2003 SP1 installed, seemingly OK. Weird problem - if I click on ESM->Administrative groups-> group ->Servers-> server->First Storage Group->Public Folder Store(server) and then click on Replication Status, after a delay I recieve a popup saying, "An error occurred while retrieving the requested information. The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is not running or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is unavailable. ID no: c103047d Exchange System Manager...

Help with profiles .pst files and roaming profiles
Hi all and thanks in advance for the future answers; Well, we have a enviromente that goes like this: 1 Domain Controller 1 Mail Server running KERIO MAIL SERVER 2 Terminal Servers running CITRIX PS 4.5 1 Server running the citrix console The problem: We have like 50 users now that connect to servers A or B and have their roaming profile working fine, all files and configs come and go, with the exception of the OUTLOOK profile. When i had to add SERVER B to the system, i had to copy users folders from server A and apply the same permissions one by one, otherwise outlook would not work and ...

Excel macro !!
Hi all. I want to write a macro in an excel sheet wherein I want to copy a few cells from my source worksheet and paste their link ...not teh HYPERLINK.....to another worksheet. Also, the destination worksheet's cell number where this is pasted is not fixed. How do I accomplish this? Please help urgently. Thanks. Edit=>PasteSpecial Click the Paste Link button. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "SPG" <not@noreply.com> wrote in message news:uJOnCdrLEHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all. > I want to write a macro in an excel sheet wherein I want to copy a few > ...

Excel Chart with equal length axis
Is it possible to create a chart that is square? i.e. the length of the x axis is equal to the length of the y axis and be centered in landscape? Hi, I this you are going to need VBA code to do this. This example uses the smallest length to square the chart to. '-------------------------------------- Sub Squareplot() Application.ScreenUpdating = False With ActiveChart If .PlotArea.InsideHeight > .PlotArea.InsideWidth Then Do While .PlotArea.InsideWidth < .PlotArea.InsideHeight .PlotArea.Height = .PlotArea.Height - 1 L...

Rotating Stock Charts in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have read the threads on rotating Excel charts and realise that Stock charts cannot be rotated there. But I must rotate and put side by side 4 such charts (High-Low-Close). I cannot rotate them in Word or Powerpoint - the rotate function is disabled. I can rotate them and appose them very well in Appleworks but then I lose a lot of definition in the chart and the text. Any solution either in Microsoft or Appleworks <br> Thanks, <br> Kev Kev_Astan@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating...

How to insert PDF letterhead as a background in Excel
Hi I am trying to insert a PDF letter head onto a Excel worksheet, without success. If you have any ideas please let me know. ...

excel list
want to put a guest list in alphabetical order by last name in column A. i.e. Mrs. John Doe.. Try this formula in B1 and fill down. Then sort on column B: =MID(A1,FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","#",LEN(A1)-LEN (SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))))+1,255) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >want to put a guest list in alphabetical order by last >name in column A. i.e. Mrs. John Doe.. >. > ...

Multi Store Vouchers
I do not see a way for this to work. I want to be able to give out store credit to our customers but there does not seem a way to make this work for multiple stores. In a single store setup everything is stored in the Voucher table. These vouchers are uploaded during the HQ synchronization but each store does not have access to other stores voucher's. Does anyone have any insight on how I could get this resolved? Thanks, Dan I take it you are trying to issue Store Credit for returns, not actually trying to implement a voucher system for gift cards/certificates. If this is corre...

Stored Procedure error message
Hi, I have written scipt in Dex to create tables. After I have added chunk file, tables are creating properly. But the issue is after login into Great Plains I am getting the following error "The Stored Procedure GrantAccess() of form Sql maintenance : 69: pass through Sql returned the following results :DBMS :15151, Microsoft Dynamics GP:0" Any Idea Please... Jack Hi Friends, I got the solution my slef and issue has resolved.. Thanks, Jack "Jack" wrote: > Hi, > > I have written scipt in Dex to create tables. After I have added chunk file, > table...

Excel #64
I have an excel file that, when opened, nothing shows up, but when I click on print preview the file shows there. Not sure if this happens on all excel files. This is Office 2000 SP3. Any Ideas? >-----Original Message----- >I have an excel file that, when opened, nothing shows up, >but when I click on print preview the file shows there. >Not sure if this happens on all excel files. This is >Office 2000 SP3. Any Ideas? >. >Had this happen the other day to one of our users. The cells had been formatted with the print white. When I changed it to black, ever...

Opening a file in a macro (network)
I have a macro that requires opening a file in My Documents. This may be a networking question that may require onsite help but what I was wondering is if there is a way in the code to specify to open a file in My Documents from "the computer you're on" for example (not sure how to word that). I'm trying to avoid having to create a macro for each computer because I will have the same file stored in My Documents on each computer. Does that make sense? For example, the code right now reads (for the computer I am currently on - "Blinds etc" is how the computer i...

HQ/Store date mismatch
We just deployed our 3rd store and eveyrthing was working fine, transactions were being uploaded and everything. Then, the store ops DB computer got moved, and I guess at some point someone changed the date on the computer to be a month in advance. Now, all of our transactions from 4/25/2006 to 4/27/2006 are actually in the DB as 5/25/2006 to 5/27/2006. I just discovered the problem and changed the date on the Store Ops machine, but I don't know what the best way to fix these transactions is, or if it is even possible. What I'd like to do is go change all of these transac...

Text Only for Macros in Excel 2007?
Hello, I'm using the Office 2007 Beta and haven't been able to rename macros I've created and added to the ribbon. Even though I type the name I want, it only shows the symbol until you mouse over it, then it shows up with the correct name as a tool tip. I can't find the option to have it display "text only" instead of symbols. Does anyone know where this is? Thanks Jim ...

MS Excel does not interpolate empty cells
Trying to plot a contour map of a film thickness. The substarte is round. X/Y coordinates are not in a grid so the data table has several empty cells. Trying to use 'Tool/Options...', 'Chart' tab and selecting the 'Interpolate' radio button does nothing. The chart treats the empty cells as zero value. If it would interpolate I would be happy. I also tried this with a grid (square) X/Y table with a couple of empty cells and again, it did not interploate. If the cell contains a formula like =IF(A1=0,"",A1), then that cell is neither empty nor blank. I...

Excel Worksheet manipulation
How do you keep related data on multiple worksheets in order when you sort the top worksheet I don't use formulas like: =sheet1!a1 in those other sheets. I try to find a unique key field (column) and populate those other worksheets with the same keys (just copy|paste--not formulas). Then I use =vlookup() or =index(match()) to return the values corresponding to those unique keys. You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup()) and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match())) aces2 wrote: > &g...

Outlook XP autofill To field
Outlook XP ... When typing in names in the To field of new messages Outlook will start to show names that have either already been typed, sent to or appear in the Contact list. Where is this "autofill" list kept? Is it user accessible? I'd like to get rid of some of the names that are not already in my Contacts. You can just use the down arrow key to highlight a name that is incorrect or whose address has changed and press delete. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding ...

Average Sales per Store
Need help modifying the RMS "Average Sales per Store" report that is found in CustomerSource. Would like to add filters for Department and Category if possible. I have tried to modify it myself, but I'm a beginner at this and I keep coming up short. One other thing that may be useful is if it can summarize by date also - would be nice to see how the values change over the course of a week or so. "Jason Kelton" wrote: > Need help modifying the RMS "Average Sales per Store" report that is found in > CustomerSource. Would like to add filters for D...

Store Credit multi Store
Good Day, Can someone give advice about how to set up Store Credits for a multi store enterprise. Currently the client use store credits/vouchers at store location only and can only redeem a Store Credit where it was issued. We would like to set it up so that they can redeem a store credit at any store location no matter where it was issued. Three stores connected via HQ. Thanks in Advance. I believe you can set up an account type and call it 'store credit' or something, then when you enter the new customer information for the person receiving store credit you simply assig...

hive based registry + gac files (3rd party) -> troubles
using wince 5 (pb5) the hive based registry (storage card) works fine i have a .gac file for custom.dll (\Windows\custom.dll) and a .dat file which copies the custom.dll from \Storage Card\ to \Windows if i do a fresh restart of the system without folder 'Documents and Settings' for the registry hive everything wors fine: - i get the GAC_custom_v1_0_0_0_cneutral_1.dll in the \Windows folder - the custom.dll gets deleted from \Windows folder after a restart the registry hive already exists and gets merged during boot also the registry keys for my 3rd party assembly are n...

Excel as a Database
Hi, I m using invoice in excel. Is there any way to store record of last sales as a database? I want do it in only in excel. Give me complete process. RRS Hi Rao Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rao Ratan Singh" <RaoRatanSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36DBC96E-24F5-45F1-8B16-FFCAC322D846@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I m using invoice in excel. Is there any way to store record of last sales > as a database? > I want do it in only in excel. Give me complete process. > > R...

How to Use One PST file on Two Computers?
Hello: I have a desktop machine with a pst file in my Outlook 2003. I would like to copy this pst file to my laptop. How do I synchronize the same file on 2 machines so I won't get duplicate e-mails? I use one premium Yahoo e-mail account and several free Yahoo accounts with YahooPOPs.. Thanks in advance, Spudy Hi Spudy, it is not possible by default to share PST files. A list of a list of third-party synctools are also on this site: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm On the Microsoft Office Marketplace site is a list of third-party messaging tools: http://office.microsoft.com...

Public Folder Store Present on Front-Ends
I ran the EXbpa and it said that it is recommended to dismount the Public folders stores on my front end severs. When I dismounted them mail started queueing up and did not start again until I mounted the stores. Why would this be when Microsoft recommends it and what does the PF store have to do with mail flow? I am running Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Tyson <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I ran the EXbpa and it said that it is recommended to dismount the Public >folders stores on my front end severs. When I dismounted them mail started >queueing up and did no...

File location?
Where are the aspx files stored? http://site/subsite/list/defautl.aspx where would i find that? the reason i ask is when i go to export there are a couple of files that im told access denied. not sure why since im the admin on all levels. Thanks Justin Well, that really depends... mostly your stuff is stored in SQL, which means that its really data in a table cell. However, depending on whether a page has been customized or not it could be pointing to definition files that are stored on the Web Front End servers, and you really want to leave those alone. Furthermore, th...

Excel separator pages
When printing multiple copies of a spreadsheet if it is set to collate I get multiple separator pages 1 for each copy, if I turn off the collate option, I only get 1 separator page. Can this be adjusted in any way so I don't get multiple separator pages even when I use the default collate option?? ...