Set Userform label text if form is not loaded???

My userform contains various text label controls which display
the contents of a row of cells.   I achieve this with the following code:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change  (ByVal Target As Range)
  UserForm1.Label1.Caption = Sheet1.Range("A1").Value
  UserForm1.Label2.Caption = Sheet1.Range("B1").Value
  UserForm1.Label3.Caption = Sheet1.Range("C1").Value
 ' ....
  ' etc, etc...
End Sub

I was wondering, is it wise to run the above code even when
my userform is not loaded???    The code above seems to
work fine even when my form is NOT loaded, but I'm worried
that trying to set the text of a label that doesn't exist will
cause bugs later on.

thank you

0
Robert

The reason you are not having any problems with your code is because as soon
as you reference a property or method of a UserForm, VB loads that UserForm
into memory (it doesn't show it... it just loads it). If you were to show
your UserForm after doing something to make the Change event fire, I am
pretty sure the UserForm will display with the Label control captions
already filled in.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My userform contains various text label controls which display
> the contents of a row of cells.   I achieve this with the following code:
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_Change  (ByVal Target As Range)
>  UserForm1.Label1.Caption = Sheet1.Range("A1").Value
>  UserForm1.Label2.Caption = Sheet1.Range("B1").Value
>  UserForm1.Label3.Caption = Sheet1.Range("C1").Value
> ' ....
>  ' etc, etc...
> End Sub
>

> I was wondering, is it wise to run the above code even when
> my userform is not loaded???    The code above seems to
> work fine even when my form is NOT loaded, but I'm worried
> that trying to set the text of a label that doesn't exist will
> cause bugs later on.
>

> thank you

0
Rick
12/19/2009 9:56:24 PM
As soon as you reference your userform the userform will then be loaded into
memory.  It may or may not be a bad thing.  I guess it depends on the size
(how much memory the form takes up) of the userform and how strong your
computer is (how much memory it has available).  If your not really needing
your userform when your worksheet is changed, I would just put the code you
posted in the userforms Intialize Event.  This way when your userform is
shown it will have all your controls set the way you want it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

  Me.Label1.Caption = Sheet1.Range("A1").Value
  Me.Label2.Caption = Sheet1.Range("B1").Value
  Me.Label3.Caption = Sheet1.Range("C1").Value
 ' ....
  ' etc, etc...

End Sub
--
Cheers,
Ryan

"Robert Crandal" wrote:

> My userform contains various text label controls which display
> the contents of a row of cells.   I achieve this with the following code:
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_Change  (ByVal Target As Range)
>   UserForm1.Label1.Caption = Sheet1.Range("A1").Value
>   UserForm1.Label2.Caption = Sheet1.Range("B1").Value
>   UserForm1.Label3.Caption = Sheet1.Range("C1").Value
>  ' ....
>   ' etc, etc...
> End Sub
>

> I was wondering, is it wise to run the above code even when
> my userform is not loaded???    The code above seems to
> work fine even when my form is NOT loaded, but I'm worried
> that trying to set the text of a label that doesn't exist will
> cause bugs later on.
>

> thank you
>

> .

OWA Set Rule problem

Linked form can't be edited
I have a large table with contact details and also additional details which only relates to about a third of my clients. If I include all the fields in my main input form(1) it becomes very cluttered so I have created another form(2) for just the additional information and select it with a button from form(1). Form(2) is filtered according to the client in form(1). However even though I have enabled editing in the properties box, I am unable to edit the form(2) fields. Without the filter it works fine, but I have to find the client manually to add the additional information. What...

one label all forms
I want to put a label on all my forms that says YOU ARE IN ARCHIVE. Can I do this without placing a label on each form? Thanks. You could set the form's Caption to that. That would mean that it would appear in the bar at the top of the form. However, you'd have to set it, so I don't know whether that'll save you anything. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "seeker" <seeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4FC21F1-32F8-4A6E-A33B-EC9B18F9617D@microsoft.com... >I want...

setting up new outlook mail account

Text and ranges.
How do you wrap text within a range? Hi not really sure what you're trying to do. Could you give an example? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jim252627" <jim252627@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4D206631-71FA-48BE-82B4-3624D58A987D@microsoft.com... > How do you wrap text within a range? For example, if I am designing a form and one of the fields of the form requires text, the command would be "wrap-text" within the cell format command. However, if many columns are narrow because of fields (ranges) established above or ...

Formating text of x-axix value
I make a chart with x-axix values from let's say 1E-9 to 1E-3, using logaritmic scale. So far so good. But my need is not to display the values in the chart like 1E-9, 1E-8, etc. but like 10-9, where the -9 text will be formated as upper index. Thx for any help or suggestion. see http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Exponents_in_Cells_and_Charts.htm best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Karel" <Karel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA5042AE-A412-4CB3-B823-89741DAF8FFD@microsoft.com... >I mak...

How to set backcolour

Set Regional Settings but not Language

can't resize a text box basic
I am creating some software flow diagrams. I add a box and try to add some text. I want the text to be on the box but it ends up being really long and I can't figure out how to re-size it. It ends up being too long. It disappears when I go back to working with the box. When I go to text mode then the text box is too long but I can't figure out how to delete it or resize it to fit on my box. Then I go back to the shape mode and the text box disappears. tia, Hello J, Have a look at this post: http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/08/15/694710.aspx If you haven't come a...

Sharing Contact Forms on Exchange 2003
I have a user that created contact forms using Outlook (Office 2003). Server side, I have Exchange 2003 running on SBS 2003. The user would like to share these forms with the organization. What is the best way to publish the custom contact forms in Exchange 2003? Dragging the form to the public folders copies the data, but nothing more. Thanks in advance, J Wolfgang Goerlich ...

Reading Pane Settings

Propagate Lead Form Changes
I added some new values for Lead Source in the Lead form yesterday. My IT manager who's unavailable and normally does this sort of thing told me that many changes like this just "take a while" to propagate out system wide. How long does it take, or do I need to do something to publish my changes? I can see that they're saved because if I go back to edit the values for that field, they're all in there. Thanks Nathan, You need to publish the changes from the deployment manager. Usually you need to restart IIS (just Start - Run - iisreset will do the trick). T...

synchronize sub forms-part 2
Don't see my earlier post... here I go again! Scenario: Main form (1)- frm1 based on tbl01 User enters 3 parameters to filter by p1,p2,p3 Subforms (6)- fsub1-fsub6 (each with its own tab) also based on tbl01 ALL subforms are Linked to frm1 through 2 fields (p2,p3) When the 3 parameters are chosen fsub1 will list the basic info associated with them. fsub2-fsub6 will list more specific info. With the following additions suggested by Robert Carlson: fsub1 On current Event: Forms![frm1]![fsub2].Requery fsub2 On Current Event: If IsNull(Forms![frm1]![fsub1].Form!ID) = False Then ...

relate Long Integer with Text
How to relate field as Long Integer in one table with another filed as Text in another table? Two tables are from different database and I cannot change field type by modifying table. Thanks "Song Su" <csitnnn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OMyhJ4BsHHA.4740@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How to relate field as Long Integer in one table with another filed as Text > in another table? > > Two tables are from different database and I cannot change field type by > modifying table. > > Thanks > Song Su, SELECT YT1.YourColumn_Integer ,YT2.YourC...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

Provide Help/Tutorial Form
I'd like to add a form to an operational database that the users can look at for info on how to use the application; what to do if errors occur; etc. What is the best way to provide the information ? A TextBox is limited to 255 characters; A MemoType has 64K characters; An Attachment - requires availability of the underlying product (Word, etc.). A LabelType field ? Recommendations ? If you are using only a single form or a couple of forms, put the info into a label control, or several label controls. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia ...

How do I set OOR

Bring back simple calendar color labels for outlook appointments.
The consolidation of Outlook labels and categories in 07 as compared to 03 results in having to use many more mouse clicks to apply basic color codes to outlook calendar appointments. I use as many as 30 categories for various projects and office jobs that change over time and whose colors would not be useful to try to remember or apply to appointments. Rather, being able to code a few simple colors for things like "in office appointment" "out of office but in town appointment" "personal reminder," "out of town travel hold," "office ...

Set Focus

Macro to Print labels in Word
Does anybody know of an Outlook (2003) macro that has been written to print labels in Word (2003)? If there is one, it might be listed at http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/printlabel.htm . You can also just use a mail merge, you know. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Bob S" <drbobsing@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ehiHZJeXEHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Does anybody know of an Outlook (2003) macro that has been ...