Running another program

Is it possible to run another program from within excel?  The software I use
at work is very repetitive and requires the same key-sequences entered many
times.  I got a key logger to help automate this so now I just press one key
and the key logger will play back the sequence I recorded.  I now want to be
able to call the key logger from excel with a parameter to automate things
further.

Excel has its own macro recorder.  Why not use it?

"Stephen Miller" <StephenMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run another program from within excel?  The software I
> use
> at work is very repetitive and requires the same key-sequences entered
> many
> times.  I got a key logger to help automate this so now I just press one
> key
> and the key logger will play back the sequence I recorded.  I now want to
> be
> able to call the key logger from excel with a parameter to automate things
> further.

0
JLGWhiz
5/24/2010 4:57:08 PM
for my 2c of worth:
- you can try sendkeys method from within excel i.e., instead of your
key logger as perhaps you need to have some kind of dlls installed to
let you automate the other app from vba;
- if your app is in web browser - then you can automate IE from vba
directly.
0
AB

How to copy a special toolbar to MS Word on another computer
I created a special toolbar on my desktop with specific macros and characters which I use often. I recently bought a new netbook and would like to install this toolbar (using MS Word 2003 on both computers). I thought I could just copy across Normal.dot but while Normal.dot on my desktop shows it includes this toolbar it has disappeared in the copy on the netbook. I am scratching my head !! Make a copy of normal.dot on your desktop computer, giving the file a different name (such as mycustomtemplate.dot), and transfer it to your netbook. Then you should be able to copy the ...

Click, Double-Click and Run Time Error 2115
The following code works fine when executed as a double-click event. When I change it to a click event I get run-time error 2115 when in BannerUpdate (last routine in the code snippit). The text displays in the banner and I get the error. comboQuads is a combo box which is populated through the not in list event. What is happening, and how can I fix the problem? Private Sub comboQuads_Click() 'Having selected a descriptor, make the link and add the text to the banner display. Call MakeLinkRecord(rsProjects, comboQuads, rsQuadLinks, strQuadBanner) Call BannerUpdate(txtQuadBann...

matching a column of numbers to another in another spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet of shortpayment amounts and their invoice numbers on one spreadsheet with a column of credit amounts with their invoice numbers on another spreadsheet. I need to match the credits written with the shortpayments. kinda like this spreadsheet 1 spreadsheet 2 inv # amount date Credit # Amount Date 122334 15.00 11-25-09 675555 15.00 12-10-09 223345 22.00 10-20-09 754444 22.00 111-25-09 naturally...

Unable to change default e-mail program to Outlook 2003
HI, Everywhere I've checked on my computer the default e-mail program is listed as Outlook 2003. The default e-mail in Internet Explorer is Outlook. The URL:MailTo Protocol in Folder Options/File Types is Outlook. However when I use the "sent to, mail recipient" feature, or Choose "e-mail this file" in File and Folder tasks in My Computer it automatically goes to Outlook Express. Mail To Hyperlinks use Outlook. Operating system is XP Home SP2 - updated regularly. Outlook Version is 2003 SP1 (part of office pro 2003) Does anyone know what the problem may be...

a monthly running total
I have a worksheet with the months running along the top, under each month is a value. Currently i have a running total thats works by summin up all the months, but this only works because i never enter values ahead of their time eg i can only enter values up until the month that it currently is. If i want to be able to enter future values, i.e. for june or july 2004 - BUT FOR THEM NOT TO AFFECT THE RUNNING TOTAL UNTIL THAT TIME - how would i go about achieving this? Regards carol If your column headers are a valid date then you could use this idea =IF(MON...

Relative reference to another file
Hi- I am trying to create a formula with a relative reference to a cel that is in another workbook. I can only find information on relativ referencing within a workbook. I am trying to use the ..\ concept to go up one level to find the fil works in Excel, but keep getting formula errors. Any input is greatly appreciated -- annabe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- annabel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2652 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50661 If all workbooks in questi...

Lookup a particular cell in another excel workbook
I want to be able to type in a workbook name in cell A1, example "05-03-10 Sales", and in cell B1 pull in cell A3 under the tab SALES in that workbook automatically. That way the date can be changed randomly and it automatically looks for that workbook. example change "05-03-10 SALES" to "05-04-10 SALES" and cell B1 changes. is there a way to write a formula in cell B1 that depending on the name in cell A1 it looks up that workbook, please help!! Thank you The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if t...

Can I insert a picture depending on the contents of another cell?
I have a list of data and each individual piece of data has a small logo in the adjacent cell. Can I make Excel insert the picture in various places in the worksheet, depending on which data is in the cell next to it? (It is flags for each individual country and I want the flag to be inserted automatically depending on which country is in the cell next to it). Thanks. Check out the below http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "JP" wrote: > I have a list of data and each individual piece of data has a small logo in > ...

Using data drom one cell as part of a formula in another.
I am trying to use the data from one cell as part of a formula i another. For example: I have a three sheet workbook. The first sheet contains lists of data to be used in the followin sheets. i.e. Column 1 is List 1, Column 2 is List 2 etc The rows contain values. i.e. Row I contains Value 1, Row 2 contains Value 2 etc. The following sheets, named ListData1, ListData2 etc must contain dat from these lists laid out differently. I can achieve this by entering the formulae to refer back to Sheet1. e.g. For ListData1 ... =Sheet1!A1, =Sheet1!A2 etc For ListData2 ... =Sheet1!B1, =Sheet1!B2 etc F...

Microsoft publisher and other office programs
In publisher how do I add the file name automatically to page ...

Master Program Schedule and Critical Path
Hi, We are working on large program with Master Program Schedule that has different stream of work inserted projects. Most of the tasks/activities are linked within their phases and have no external links. The Phases are also not linked as most of them have different starting dates and there is no sequencing in them. I need to draw Network diagram and generate a Program Critical Path. When i do so, it appears with very weird diagram that doesn't depict reality and skip few streams of work all together. When i choose the option, show multiple critical paths, it comes up...

Pivot Table
Hi, In Excel 2007, how do I source a pivot table from another pivot table in the same workbook? In Excel 2003 it had a function in the wizard to do this but in 2007 it doesn't seem to. Thanks, David. Hi David I think you probably mean creating another PT based upon the same source data - which reduces file size. It depends on the route you take to create a PT. If you choose Insert tab>Pivot Table than it will treat the source as being different each time. If you choose Insert tab>Table than form Table Tools>Summarise with Pivot Table, you can create a number of PT's al...

'Macro' cross program setup
I am often input my excel data to plot powerpoint chart, by copying the raw data from Excel into the powerpoint charts datasheet. Glad to know that Macro is the big helper in this..... Can I setup macro within Powerpoint for this (involve copy data from Excel into Powerpoint)? or there is any other better solutions? Help, Chan ...

Macro running slow
Hi, I'm self taught so my coding is very inefficient. Up until now this hasn't been a problem but my latest effort is taking far too long to run. Can anyone advice on where the bottleneck is and how I can speed it up? Thanks Mike CODE BELOW (sorry for the amount) -------------------- ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="XXXXXXX" ' Unprotects the worksheet Application.ScreenUpdating = False ' Stops the screen refreshing while the macro is running UserForm2.Show ' Reprotect the worksheet and end macro Range("I4").Select ...

why is my machine running slower?
Whenever I am working in a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 on my Dell 800, it seems to be reaaaaaaaaaly slow. Any suggestions? Hi tommy boy! Maybe you could find something at Charles Williams' site: http://www.decisionmodels.com And David McRitchie has some notes at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm I'd go for shutting down and re-starting followed by deleting all files in Windows Temp plus taking a look at the xlb file and deleting or re-naming if it is much over 50KB -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "tommy boy...

Allow Excel to retain HTML hypertex done from another editor.
When creating an html file using Microsoft Excel 2002 (10.6501.6735) SP3 to compare the first ever printed English books side by side as posted at: http://pcministry.com/PentJona/index.htm Then editing the HTML files manually with another text editor in order to include hypertext for going directly to a passage: 1:1</td> to 1:1<A NAME="1:1"></A></td> And later trying to update the file in Excel again, after saving it, found out that Excel removes the hypertext: 1:1<A NAME="1:1"></A> Thus all the hypertext development I had done was lost...

How to run Visual Basic from Excel sheet
How do I run a Visual Basic routine from a normal Excel cell. I would like to do something like this: =IF(RunIt=TRUE, Run my Visual Basic routine, Do nothing) So if some calculations results in the variable "RunIt" is set equal to TRUE, the Visual Basic routine must run. Kristian ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Can't get Money 2002 to run
I have been using Money 2002 for the last two years. about a week ago I backed up my file to a floppy. Several days ago I turned on the computer, initiated the Money Icon on my desktop and a window come up telling me to re-install the program to accept the end user agreement. Well, I can't even open the program so I removed it through the control panel add/remove programs and re-installed it. Still I get the same message. Any Ideas In microsoft.public.money, Mark wrote: >I have been using Money 2002 for the last two years. about >a week ago I backed up my file to a floppy. ...

Is there away to link something on one page to another?
Hello i was wondering if anyone could help me. Im doing a project for my NVQ4 course and before i can start i would like to know if there is anyway that using excel you can type one thing say on sheet 1 but link it so it comes on automacially on say sheet 4? Many thanks for all replies! Nickle 3 methods to choose from. 1. On sheet 4 select a cell and enter an = sign. Switch to sheet 1 and select the cell to link. Hit ENTER key. 2. In cell on sheet 4 enter =sheet1!cellref 3. Select a cell on sheet 1 and copy then switch to sheet 4 and select a cell then Paste Special>...

Move account from one computer to another
Hello, How can I move my account including everything (old e- mails, address etc.) from my old computer to my new one ? where is the data hiding ? Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Amir asked: | Hello, | | How can I move my account including everything (old e- | mails, address et...

Outlook 2003 running on Windows 2003 (as client) breaks after SP1
Have Exchange 2003 running on SBS2003 and has been running great for over a year. Many users use Outlook 2003 remotely using RPC over HTTPS with no problem. Then one user running Windows Server 2003 STD on a laptop (a client machine) applied the new SP1 and Outlook connection over HTTPS is now broken. The Outlook authentication request appears again and again - it is never satisfied. Tried running it as "outlook /rpcdiag" and don't get any additional information that is helpful. Just simply does not authenticate. Had Virtual PC running on the Windows 2003 machine so we tried usi...

OWA causes Office installer to run when trying to reply to a message
OWA 2003 causes the installer to look for a "missing" feature whenever I try to reply to a message. XP with office 2k on client This happens because owa 2003 uses some features from office to work.. it intergrates thin into internet explorer witch why it ask for the disk... you can avoid this by doing a full install of office instead of just the default install.... When deploying Office use an administrative installation point. You will not have to install entire office and if clients need to install something they will be able to pull it from the installation point. Dejan Foro...

Validate criteria in another workbook
I am running excel 2003 XP. I am unable to validate criteria from on workbook or worksheet to another. I get an error message "unable t validate criteria from one workbook to another" At home I am able t do this no problem. (office 97) I am able to validate criteria withi the same worksheet only. I am trying to create drop down boxes using common workbook. Please Help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ERuane >" <<ERuane.14edt9@excelfor...

Link information in one table to another table
I have a Patient form / table for basic information. Name, Birthdate ect. I also have another table I call Health Records. This table is for the specifics of a Doctor visit for all patients. I want to be able to click on a record date on the Patient form and open another form to see or add the specifics of a particular Doctor Visit for that patient. What is the best way to go about this? I have tried to put a subform on the original Patient form displaying all the visits for that patient. I end up seeing all the visits for all the patients. Or I get the Parameter ...

How to -> Start Excel from command line and run a macro
I have an Excel spreadsheet with a macro. What I want to do is to be able to start this spreadsheet via a BAT file(mainly to schedule the running). But the kicker is to run the Macro. I realize I may have to disable the security to get passed the ENABLE/DISABLE prompt..or is there another way to handle that too? I have gotten close by getting EXCEL to load my spreadsheet but I am stuck on the "right way" to handle the prompt and autostart the macro. Any help will be appreciated. -- Mickey A Assuming that you have Microsoft Excel 2003, this might help: Assistance > E...