Parse only text from column?

How do I extract just the text from a column?  For example, if one of my
columns = "1234 abracadabra" and I want just the "abracadabra"?

ironryan77

You already posted this question about 3+ hours ago and that message has 4
answers posted to it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Ryan D" <RyanD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I extract just the text from a column?  For example, if one of my
> columns = "1234 abracadabra" and I want just the "abracadabra"?
>
> ironryan77

0
Rick

Parsing Question
I've done parsing where you have one delimiter such as a comma or space. What if you have more than one? Example data: sStr(0) = "3/9" sStr(1) = "3/11 3/15-" sStr(2) = "3/8+ 3/12" sStr(3) = "3/9 3/15" sStr(4) = "3/8- 3/10+ 3/15" The strings above are Month/Day with some having an additional - or + character next to it. These dates are extracted from Excel cells as strings. I need to break those strings down into individual dates. So for sStr(4), I need to parse out "3/8", "3/10" and "3/15&...

Text box in chart disappears but reappears when in spreadsheet
Has anyone any idea how to prevent a text box that's in a graph from disappearing when the graph is selected, but reappearing when cursor is back in the spreadsheet? This never used to happen before, but only recently has begun occuring with our graphs. Thanks! Hi, That behavior would suggest the textbox is not embedded in the chart but just placed over it. Can you move the textbox away from the chart? If yes then delete the textbox and then select the chart and paste. Cheers Andy Eggcel wrote: > Has anyone any idea how to prevent a text box that's in a graph from > di...

returning a text value
I think this is simple but I am confused with it. I am creating a softball roster. Column a is the positions, Column b is player for inning 1. C is inning 2 and so on. So with my current grid I can see who is in which position by inning. My second grid will show players name followed by position being played. Column F lists all the players. I need a function that will search column b for matches to column F and insert the position (column a) in column G. Check Help for Vlookup. Regards, Fred "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:133...

Text list to graph
Hi: I have a column listing car makes in random order with duplicates: Mazda Honda Honda Toyota Chevy Mazda... etc. QUESTION: How can I create a chart from this list? I've tried sorting, then sub-totaling. Am I on the right track? Thanks, Mark Flynn You can summarize the data with a Pivot Table, and create a chart from that. Add a heading to the list, e.g. Cars Select a cell in the table. Choose Data>PivotTable and PivotChart Report Select PivotChart report (with PivotTable report), click Next Select the Data range, click Next Click Layout Drag the Cars button to the Row area Dr...

Text size #4
I'm sure this is probably very easy! but I can't find any way to increase the size of an email in the viewing panel of Outlook, is there a way to do this and possibly to add a button to the toolbar to enable easy resizing of text? Thanks "Harry Limey" <harrylimey(at)Lycos.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23m1mP7xBIHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I'm sure this is probably very easy! but I can't find any way to increase > the size of an email in the viewing panel of Outlook, is there a way to do > this and possibly to add a button to the toolbar...

Date column defaults
Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK). Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously change each instance? Can I change the default for new columns? -- Jonathan Finney Jonathan Finney <plegron@hotmail.com> wrote: > Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what > this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK). It means that Outlook decides the width of the field. The date format display in the f...

how to parse <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> with xpath? is it possible?
how to parse <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> with xpath? is it possible? "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23g11DbDOGHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > how to parse <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> with xpath? is it > possible? No -- the xml declaration is not represented in the XML Infoset. Cheers, Dimitre Novatchev ...

Converting capitalized text to lower case
Is it possible (if so, how?) to convert capitalized text to lowercase within cells - - when they were typed in ALL CAPS mode at the onset? If you've got a solution to this one, I'll really be impressed! =) Evie VBA? For Each cell In Selection cell.Value = LCase(cell.Value) Next cell -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Evie" <rossie@tcstoner.com> wrote in message news:28a8201c46512$e21f5f20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible (if so, how?...

Text #2
I'm just trying to enter some text, maybe an equal sign "=", but it keeps taking it as a formula. What do I do? Hi enter '= -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "greekgodsurfer" <greekgodsurfer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:66CA2349-A770-4F77-9256-0D9193D92E4C@microsoft.com... > I'm just trying to enter some text, maybe an equal sign "=", but it keeps > taking it as a formula. What do I do? Thanks, I looked all over for it in help and couldn't find anything! greekgodsurfer "Frank Kabel"...

How I can specify the length of a text or binary column to larger value?
When the using Microsoft Excel How I can specify the length of a text or binary column to a larger value? otherwise, if the length of a text or binary column not specified (or is specified as 0), the column length will be set to 255. Hi not really sure what you're trying to achieve? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Yue Wu" <wuyue15@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:433001c4a48d$76b0aa90$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When the using Microsoft Excel How I can specify the > length of a text or binary column to a larger value? > otherwise, if the lengt...

Parsing cells
Hi Folks, I have data in cells which is OCR`d from my phone bill, and some of the info is corrupt. Where I should be getting eg. 17 Nov 14:49 for date/time I am getting O17 Nov 14:49 or C17Nov 14:49. The reason is that there are unreadable icon characters to signify day or night. Questions: 1)How do I remove the faulty characters......they are always the first digit in the date if they are there. 2)How can I seperate the date and time into two adjasent colums of cells rather than their current format in one cell. Any and all help greatly appreciated. John Hi John You ca...

text display in MDI
Hello Friends Iam niranjan Developing MDI Application in vc++6.0 when iam displaying text in windows iam using OnDraw and OnChar functions. in OnChar function iam incrementing the x,y positions accoording to Key strokes. and making the string buffer to empty in "Enter" Key stroke in OnDraw function by using pDC->TextOut(x,y,str) iam displaying the text here iam not getting the proper data.... my problems are.... 1. after giving ther enter key curson going to next line but previous lines data in erasing , after ever enter key.. if any one knows solution plz help me to get th...

Text to Columns #2
Having used the "Text to Columns" tool once on a worksheet (to separate by spaces), I find I can't switch it off. Every subsequent time I try to copy and paste some other text from a single cell, for some completely different reason, the pasted data gets spread over many columns if there are any spaces in the text. How can I switch off "Text to Columns" after using it? This surely must be a bug, it's so unreasonable! Tod Excel likes to help by remembering your last settings. This can be really handy if you're pasting similar stuff lots of times. You ...

Parse Nested Elements to Single DataGrid
I have been losing my mind trying to parse an XML document (with nested child elements, not all of which appear in each parent node) into a DataGrid object. What I want to do is "flatten" the XML document into a text document with a single row for each parent node (that has all of the values from all of the child nodes for that row) The DataView within VS 2005 IDE displays my 15 or so child tables - and knows that some parent rows don't have child rows in every relation - but trying to get all the child tables to go with the correct parent row programmatically is killin...

email format is changed from HTML to Text
I haven't done any research on this, I hope someone has the answer. Sometimes when I reply to a message, the email format is changed from HTML to Plain text automatically, It does't happen when I am writing a new email, it is just sometimes when I am replying. Are you sure that the message to which you are replying is HTML and not just plain text with foreign encoding? For example, I set the encoding for this message to Turkish, but it is still plain text. It just doesn't appear that way (to me anyway, and possibly also you). Ray at work "Alex Perez" <aperezny@h...

100% Stacked Column
Hi, I've been using this type of chart many times to create a sort of "filling the glass" effect. Now, I've a situation that I'd like to solve. Let's take this example: TARGET A1 = 1000 A2 = 2000 A3 = 3000 ACTUAL B1 = -200 B2 = 1600 B3 = 1800 DIFFERENCE = TARGET - ACTUAL C1 = 800 C2 = 400 C3 = 1200 If I input this data in the 100% stacked column chart, Series in Column, the Targets on the value axis go from 0% to 100%, basically in our examples what the chart shows is: category axis 1 from 0% to 80% = 800 Difference from 0% to -20% = 200 Actual category axis 2 ...

text disapearing in a text box
I put a text box on a chart. After typing it in (it was a long text) I saved the chart I could still see all the text. After I saved it, I created a PDF. It was still fine. After I closed excel. The next time I opened the chart part of the text was gone. I tried to resize the text box, but part of the text was still gone. When I oringinally save the chart I didn't get an error message about the size and the pdf after the save showed all of the text. Thanks ...

Address Book Not Working With Text Messages Sent By Outlook
Every time I try to send a text message per Outlook, I can type and send the message, only as long as I physically type a person's name in the To box. If I click on the little address book button beside the To box or click on the icon at the top of the message page, I immediately get kicked out of Outlook, and it must restart. Does anyone know what is wrong and how it might be fixed? Thanks, Candy What version of Outlook? What type of email account? It sounds like the address book is corrupt. If you use outlook 2003 or older, try this: go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose Vie...

Summing Text
I have two columns of text d s d r t s p s p r t r t r d s How do I write a formula to find out how many instances there are of d in columna A that correspond to s in Column B? Should be two. Is that sumprouct or sumif? This formula should do what you want... =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="d")*(B1:B100="s")) Change both of the references to Row 100 to whatever you will eventually need them to be. Rick "Paul" <Msr33@TPx12.com> wrote in message news:hlcj749de4arqdbq13tjiaokaqs23c1lac@4ax.com... >I have two columns of text > > d...

Make Button Text Bold ???
Is there a way to make the text shown in a button bold? Also can you change the font used for a buttons text? I cant find any way to do this. Thanks! -Chris >Is there a way to make the text shown in a button bold? Also can you change >the font used for a buttons text? I cant find any way to do this. Thanks! Chris, Here's an example that changes the font to italic. Place this code in your dialog's OnInitDialog handler: // TODO: Add extra initialization here /* Get the dialog font */ CFont * pFont = GetFont(); LOGFONT lf; /* Get the LOGFONT for the font */ pFont...

inserting text without losing old text
I have a phone directory. Adding text on one page makes me lose a name and address. Where does it go? Is there a simple way to add a new name and to make all the names that come after just jump down to next text box? If the text boxes are linked, the text should flow down. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Shari" <Shari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D53C289-A791-4273-95C4-7C5DA5CB23F8@microsoft.com... > I have a phone directory. Adding text on one page makes me lose a name > and > address. Where does...

Report Writer
I am modifying the POP Purchase Order Blank Form within report writer. I have a many lines of text I need to add in the report footer. The only way I know how to enter this is one line per text box. This is a very painful way to do it and it doesn’t allow me to enter that many characters per text box. Any ideas? Thanks! Craig Craig, I think you can check this out http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/09/30/how-to-get-large-amounts-of-text-to-look-good-on-a-report.aspx -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Craig" wrote: >...

How to create a pure text button toolbar?
I want to create a toolbar. On which, there is only text (no image) on its button. I call SetButtonInfo() with iImage=-1. It take effect, but there are still a blank block on the button. Thank you very much. You have to destroy the imagelist(s) corresponding to the toolbar. There was excellent sample by Paul Dilascia in MSJ/MSDN few years back where he showed how to replace a menu by a toolbar in an MDI application. A search on MSDN's site for that sample would be helpful. In addition, look at codeguru/codeproject for some sample on this. I am sure something must be there as well. ----...

What are text operations?
I have this homework, to look up "text operations" in excel. Does anybody have an idea of what this is? -- jhaykage ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jhaykage's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37273 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=569837 Without more information, I expect "text operations" would encompass the following: 1)extracting substrings from text (from the left, middle, or right of the string) 2)concatenating text from different cells 3)checki...

Calendar Text
How can I make text within a date in a Publisher calendar shrink with the calendar when I resize it? ...