OnError not trapping subsequent errors?

I am working with an org chart "tree" in table form to find the reporting
heirachy. I start with the employee name, look it up on another table, and
find that person's reporting manager. Then I look up that manager as an
employee to find their manager, and so on.

Eventually each tree hits an error when I get to the top of the tree,
because it can't find a matching manager name. So, I use onError to escape
the loop and present the data onscreen for review.

This works fine the first time, but the code stops with an error on the
second 'original' employee- it is like the code forgot about the OnError
statement. I even added a goto 0 statement in case it needs some type of
'reset', but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Keith

sorry for the linewrap...

Sub CheckHRSTCNames()

Dim OutArr(1 To 10)
SHRRowCnt = lastRow(Sheets(7))
SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)

For tempRow = 2 To lastRow(Sheets(6))

    Erase OutArr

    tID = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
    matchRow = Application.Match(CStr(tID), SourceHRIDArr, False)
    'Debug.Print tID

    On Error GoTo ShowResults
    For p = 1 To 10
        OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & matchRow).Value '<--errors here
on second loop, when p gets to about 7 or 8 depending on the employee
        matchRow = Application.Match(OutArr(p), SourceHRMgrArr, False)
    Next

ShowResults:
    MsgBox OutArr(1) & ", " & OutArr(2) & ", " & OutArr(3) & ", " &
OutArr(4) & ", " & OutArr(5) & ", " & _
           OutArr(6) & ", " & OutArr(7) & ", " & OutArr(8) & ", " &
OutArr(9) & ", " & OutArr(10)
    On Error GoTo 0

Next

End Sub

Haven't tested it as I cannot visualise the data, but see if this works

Sub CheckHRSTCNames()
Dim OutArr(1 To 10)
Dim tId As Variant
Dim MatchRow As Long
Dim LookUp As String

    SHRRowCnt = LastRow(Sheets(7))
    SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
    SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)

    For tempRow = 2 To LastRow(Sheets(6))

        Erase OutArr

        tId = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
        LookUp = CStr(tId)

        For p = 1 To 10

            On Error Resume Next
                MatchRow = Application.Match(LookUp, SourceHRIDArr, False)
            On Error GoTo 0
            If MatchRow = 0 Then Exit For

            OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & MatchRow).Value
            LookUp = OutArr(p)
        Next

--

HTH

Bob

"ker_01" <ker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am working with an org chart "tree" in table form to find the reporting
> heirachy. I start with the employee name, look it up on another table, and
> find that person's reporting manager. Then I look up that manager as an
> employee to find their manager, and so on.
>
> Eventually each tree hits an error when I get to the top of the tree,
> because it can't find a matching manager name. So, I use onError to escape
> the loop and present the data onscreen for review.
>
> This works fine the first time, but the code stops with an error on the
> second 'original' employee- it is like the code forgot about the OnError
> statement. I even added a goto 0 statement in case it needs some type of
> 'reset', but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Keith
>
> sorry for the linewrap...
>
> Sub CheckHRSTCNames()
>
> Dim OutArr(1 To 10)
> SHRRowCnt = lastRow(Sheets(7))
> SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
> SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)
>
> For tempRow = 2 To lastRow(Sheets(6))
>
>    Erase OutArr
>
>    tID = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
>    matchRow = Application.Match(CStr(tID), SourceHRIDArr, False)
>    'Debug.Print tID
>
>    On Error GoTo ShowResults
>    For p = 1 To 10
>        OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & matchRow).Value '<--errors here
> on second loop, when p gets to about 7 or 8 depending on the employee
>        matchRow = Application.Match(OutArr(p), SourceHRMgrArr, False)
>    Next
>
> ShowResults:
>    MsgBox OutArr(1) & ", " & OutArr(2) & ", " & OutArr(3) & ", " &
> OutArr(4) & ", " & OutArr(5) & ", " & _
>           OutArr(6) & ", " & OutArr(7) & ", " & OutArr(8) & ", " &
> OutArr(9) & ", " & OutArr(10)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
> Next
>
> End Sub

0
Bob
3/31/2010 10:43:12 PM
Bob- thank you, I used a variation of your logic;
If IsError(matchrow) Then GoTo ShowResults

I'm curious though- is there a reason why Excel would "lose" the ability to
forward subsequent errors through the error handling procedure? I'd like to
understand what happened so I can program around it if I have a similar
situation in the future. Is there an error buffer that I need to clear or
something?

Thanks!
Keith

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> [...]
> > SHRRowCnt = lastRow(Sheets(7))
> > SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
> > SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)
> >
> > For tempRow = 2 To lastRow(Sheets(6))
> >
> >    Erase OutArr
> >
> >    tID = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
> >    matchRow = Application.Match(CStr(tID), SourceHRIDArr, False)
> >    'Debug.Print tID
> >
> >    On Error GoTo ShowResults
> >    For p = 1 To 10
> >        OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & matchRow).Value '<--errors here
> > on second loop, when p gets to about 7 or 8 depending on the employee
> >        matchRow = Application.Match(OutArr(p), SourceHRMgrArr, False)
> >    Next
> >
> > ShowResults:
> >    MsgBox OutArr(1) & ", " & OutArr(2) & ", " & OutArr(3) & ", " &
> > OutArr(4) & ", " & OutArr(5) & ", " & _
> >           OutArr(6) & ", " & OutArr(7) & ", " & OutArr(8) & ", " &

Did your error send it to an error routine and in the error routine you used
GoTo a labelName instead of Resume labelName? This one think that will cause
the problem you describe. (That is it works for the first time the error
occurs then fails on any subsequent errors.)

--
Regards,

OssieMac

"ker_01" wrote:

> [...]
> > > SHRRowCnt = lastRow(Sheets(7))
> > > SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
> > > SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)
> > >
> > > For tempRow = 2 To lastRow(Sheets(6))
> > >
> > >    Erase OutArr
> > >
> > >    tID = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
> > >    matchRow = Application.Match(CStr(tID), SourceHRIDArr, False)
> > >    'Debug.Print tID
> > >
> > >    On Error GoTo ShowResults
> > >    For p = 1 To 10
> > >        OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & matchRow).Value '<--errors here
> > > on second loop, when p gets to about 7 or 8 depending on the employee
> > >        matchRow = Application.Match(OutArr(p), SourceHRMgrArr, False)
> > >    Next
> > >
> > > ShowResults:
> > >    MsgBox OutArr(1) & ", " & OutArr(2) & ", " & OutArr(3) & ", " &
> > > OutArr(4) & ", " & OutArr(5) & ", " & _
> > >           OutArr(6) & ", " & OutArr(7) & ", " & OutArr(8) & ", " &

When you set an error handler, VBA has problems if you disable it later and
then try to reset. It is better to Resume the code at some point when the
error has been handled, something like (untested)

Sub CheckHRSTCNames()
Dim OutArr(1 To 10)

    SHRRowCnt = LastRow(Sheets(7))
    SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
    SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)

    On Error GoTo ShowResults

    For tempRow = 2 To LastRow(Sheets(6))

        Erase OutArr

        tId = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
        MatchRow = Application.Match(CStr(tId), SourceHRIDArr, False)

        For p = 1 To 10
            OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & MatchRow).Value
            MatchRow = Application.Match(OutArr(p), SourceHRMgrArr, False)
        Next

ShowResults:
        MsgBox OutArr(1) & ", " & OutArr(2) & ", " & OutArr(3) & ", " &
OutArr(4) & ", " & OutArr(5) & ", " & _
               OutArr(6) & ", " & OutArr(7) & ", " & OutArr(8) & ", " &
OutArr(9) & ", " & OutArr(10)
        Resume Next
    Next
End Sub

But it is better the way I showed (and you adpated) IMO as it is not an
error, just a foreseeable situation, so handle it. Error handling should be
for real errors.

--

> [...]
>> > SourceHRIDArr = Sheets(7).Range("A1:A" & SHRRowCnt)
>> > SourceHRMgrArr = Sheets(7).Range("B1:B" & SHRRowCnt)
>> >
>> > For tempRow = 2 To lastRow(Sheets(6))
>> >
>> >    Erase OutArr
>> >
>> >    tID = Sheets(6).Range("A" & tempRow).Value
>> >    matchRow = Application.Match(CStr(tID), SourceHRIDArr, False)
>> >    'Debug.Print tID
>> >
>> >    On Error GoTo ShowResults
>> >    For p = 1 To 10
>> >        OutArr(p) = Sheets(7).Range("AD" & matchRow).Value '<--errors
>> > here
>> > on second loop, when p gets to about 7 or 8 depending on the employee
>> >        matchRow = Application.Match(OutArr(p), SourceHRMgrArr, False)
>> >    Next
>> >
>> > ShowResults:
>> >    MsgBox OutArr(1) & ", " & OutArr(2) & ", " & OutArr(3) & ", " &
>> > OutArr(4) & ", " & OutArr(5) & ", " & _
>> >           OutArr(6) & ", " & OutArr(7) & ", " & OutArr(8) & ", " &

0
Bob

Error when saving data
On any window where I've saved data I get pop-up window that says, "Microsoft Dynamics CRM has encountered an error." I am using Outlook 2007 with the CRM 4 add-in. If I click to view the error information, I get another window with this information about the error. <ScriptErrorDetails> <Message>Library not registered. </Message> <Line>40</Line> <URL>/activities/serviceappointment/edit.aspx?pId={C023E98B-002B-DE11-A601-0019B977CDFD}&pType=112&pName=GP%20reports%20won%27t%20print&partyid={7C572B45-17AF-DC11-AC79-0003FF02A2...

Outlook 2002 & SMTP error
Hi, I've just installed Outlook 2002 to use instead of OE. However since doing so I've got an SMTP problem, in that no matter what I do I cannot remove the 127.0.0.1 address from the SMTP section of the options. After the install, OE is now showing the same error. I can't send messages without having to change the SMTP setting each time. Seems that Norton 2002 is somehow assisting with this error, but all the Norton fixes are pointing to POP3 errors, not SMTP. Any suggestions?? Peter ;-) ...

Sql Agent Error
After installing CRM we are receiving the following error. "An error occurred when attempting to set the SQLSERVERAGENT service to AutoStart: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Utility.ServiceUtility.SetServiceToAutoStart(String serviceName, String machineName) at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ServiceRunningValidator.AutoStartLocalService(String serviceName, TimeSpan waitTimeForStart) We have CRM on a SBS 2003 machine and SQL EE 2000 on a W2K3 machine. Both are DCs the SBS holds all FS...

CList<type, type*> error
I feel like I have encountered this before, but it's been so long since I have had to use MFC that I forget the solution. I want to use a CList to store some objects, I have defined the CLIst like this: class CMyClass; // some class that has a copy ctor and assigment operator CList<CMyClass, CMyClass*> m_myList; This is giving me this error: error C2664: 'POSITION CList<TYPE,ARG_TYPE>::AddTail(ARG_TYPE)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'CMyClass' to CMyClass*' with [ TYPE=CMyClass, ARG_TYPE=CMyClass* ]...

error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other char
I am getting this error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart type" with the same selection sometimes it goes smoothly, and sometimes i get this message, and i am only trying to do a very basic column shart with the names of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county what am i doing wrong? Hi, I have not heard of that warning happening sporadically. It only happens when you try to combine charts that will not mix. When you say it sometimes works is that when trying the same mixture on the same ...

NewBie, how to trap: SQLAllocHandle Error
I have a MFC VC7.1++ program using VS2003, and also using the MSDE2000 for some reason my import is now failing and I cannot figure out why, before today this first statement use to successfully process. The return value of retcode now is 0, it use to be retcode = 1 I have looked up the documentation and see confusing information at least to me as to what an acceptable retcode should be, I even read of a macro SQL_SUCEEDED which will accept both 1 and 0, but when I use this then it just steps thorugh me code with no error, yet does NOT import the data into the table I wish. SQLH...

outlook error #29
When I use to open outlook , the preview for mails is ok but when i double klick on it it gives a error OUTLOOK executed an invalid instruction in module <unknown> at 0000:00ff546e. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=00ff546e EFLGS=00010297 EBX=00ff5224 SS=0187 ESP=0056f1e0 EBP=0056f21c ECX=00ff5224 DS=0187 ESI=0056f210 FS=3c8f EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=00ff546c GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 8e 30 00 00 00 00 ac 52 ff 00 33 0a 00 00 20 00 Stack dump: 00ff546c 00ff52c8 00ff5224 04001097 00ff546c 00078302 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000020 00000001 00000000 00000...

Outlook send/Recieve error.
Hi I am facing a problem with my exchange 2003 server.My clients have Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003 on thier desktops.I recieve an error message while downloading the Address book from Outlook 2003.when a user presses Send/Recieve on his outlook 2003 ,it gives a message as 'The Operation Failed,Microsoft Exchange Server is not avalible. Error:0x8004010f However users can send and recieve mails,Only when they click Send/Recieve this error is coming. This is a new installed exchange 2003 Server with servcie Pack 2 on WINDOWS 2003 Operating System. 2.I have not set any mailbox limi...

Error saving Design changes
After adding any change to a form and then clicking to save the following happens: Msg: Do you want to save changes to the design of form "Parts"? Respond by clicking "Yes" Msg: Microsoft Access has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. Respond by clicking "Close Button" Next time you start Access 2003 a message appears wanting you to save your application. AppName_Backup After clicking Cancel or Save Access will start OK ...

Database offline error when database is local
Hi. Whenever I lose my wireless connection it says i have lost connection to the database and actually closes down the POS. Here is the kicker. My database is local and I have confirmed this. What could be causing this ? I am using RMS 2.0. It was my understanding I was only to receive this message if my database is stored in a remote location. With that said even if this message was legit, why is closing down the point of sale? Shouldn't it just make me aware that i am working in 'offline mode' and continue placing transactions. Hi Sam When you configure the connection in Stor...

Error message while sending mail using Outlook Express
Hi, I am using Outlook Express 6 on Win XP. I have set up my account absolutely fine and have been able to receive messages form my mail server. However, when I try sending a mail, I receive the following message in a dialogue box: The message could not be sent. You do not have any accounts configured for sending e-mail.Please verify your account configuration. I am not sure what it means but I verified my account details once again to see if there was something amiss in the SMTP settings. I also tried looking up the MSDN Knowledgebase fruitlessly. Can anyone please help me with this t...

MSADC Error: Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down
Hey guys, I have been battling with my Exchange 2003 and Exch 5.5 servers issues for a while now. Im starting to get very affraid that something major will happen shortly. I am creating users on my Exchange 2003 server which has ADC installed. This is NOT a DC. I have been having problems where users accounts and/or mailboxes are not getting replicated thru my AD and Exch servers. This is one main error that I am consistently getting on the Exchange 2003 server. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSADC Event Category: LDAP Operations Event ID: 8026 Event ID: 8026 Date: 4/25/2...

Quick Campaign error: Data out of range
One of our CRM users noticed their email quick campaign showed a failure status for all the contacts within the campaign. When I opened the details of the quick campaign and looked under the contacts excluded section is showed a reason of "Data out of range" and reason id of 0x8004022c for each contact down the list. Any idea what might cause this type of error? Thanks in advance. ...

Crystal Report Viewer Error
Hi, I will appreciate if someone can give me a hint, why sudenly I can not see any of the reports. I get the error: Information is needed before this report can be processed. Thank you. Cheers! ...

Organize error
When using the Organize function to send certain incoming emails to a subfolder of my Inbox, after about 5 seconds I get a message that says that it cannot do it. I need to check the folder permissions. This just started happening at the beginning of this year. Is there a limit to the number of rules because I have about 50. ...

how to eliminate N/A error in vlookup?
hi, how can i get rid of the N/A error when using vlookup formula? is it a must to put "false" if i want to get the exact figure i want? i tried to remove "false" in the formula. it did give me some figure but not the one i want... how to solve this problem ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com You might want to change from vlookup to Index/Match. If you do, the do a Search on Index/Match at the first page of this Forum. You wil fi...

Error 0X00000000
'The message store has been corrupted by an application external to Windows Mail.'Windows Mail has been to successfully able to recover from this corruption. (0x00000000)' What does this mean and should I be concerned? Mary Make sure your antivirus is not configured to scan emails. Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons explained here: http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm Also see point 3 here: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP Program: http://m...

Error writing file: VS2005
So I'm exploring VS2005 features. I decided to try the C/C++ code analysis option. I get the error Error 1 fatal error C1085: Cannot write precompiled header file: 'Release\openmp.pchast': Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h 710 What insufficient resources? I'm running on a brand-new Win64 system (XP Pro 64 SP 1) with 138GB of free disk space on that drive. I successfully compiled this program any number of times, so I know the disk is not write-protected, an...

Hiding an error result if error
If I have a cell with a function and if certain information is no present yet then it will return a N/A. I want to leave the function i place but would not want the N/A to show but if a real result is presen then it will show. How can I do this? (Without an If statement an ISERROR. Crushe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi - select the cell (lets assume B2) - goto 'format - Conditional format' - enter the formula =ISERROR(B2) - choose a white font color -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > If I have a cell with a function and if certain information...

ACOS(1) & ACOS(-1) Error
I have a function (say F) from the law of cosines that should evaluate between [-1,1]. so from the LOC -> C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2ABcos(Theta) solve for Theta -> Theta = ACOS( -(C^2-A^2-B^2)/(2AB) ) My function F -> F = -(C^2-A^2-B^2)/(2AB) A, B, and C are pseudo-randomly generated values and it appears that F has some precision problems that after evaluation the values can fall outside the bounds by a little bit on either side. I've seen F be 1.00000024 and I've seen negative values of F off by about the same amount. It appears this is the best precision I can get with the how...

Broken Error (No On Error Functionality)
In MS Excel Subs, I cannot turn off error dialogs using 'On Error Resume Next' or 'On Error Goto label' etc. It was not always thus. Once, I happily used utility subs that with 'On Error Resume Next' lines, many from John Walkenbach's book. Then, suddenly, these macros suddenly rebelled, halting execution at the first error, and displaying the "index out of range error dialog window"...the one that lets you click a debug button to go to the code in the VBE. I have rewritten all macros to avoid any sort of error handling. But, it sure would be nice to han...

CRM error 11-08-06
I have an SBS 2003 R2 system set up. I currently have two client computers I am trying to use with CRM 3.0. The laptop seems to be connecting correctly on and offline. My desktop however keeps giving me the error message "An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. contact your system administrator if errors persist" My desktop was set up with Small Business Accounting and business contact manager. I suspect the problem is that these three programs do not want to play in the same sandbox well. (Although I seem to remember see...

Outlook has generated errors
Outlook shuts down when trying to send email or save a new contact. The message is "Outlook has generated errors and will be closed by windows." I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have loaded a new PST file. I turned off all of the add in's. I am at a loss what to try next. I am having same problem here (again). I uninstalled Office 2000 and reinstalled, also reconfigured Outlook and Exchange etc. and it was OK for about 1/2 a day, then the problem started happening again. In my case I cannot add a new appointment to the calendar without Outlook closing. I can CTRL...

Excel 2003 installation error
I have been using my PC with excel program for 3 years and when I tried to open an excel spreadsheat today and it would not open. "Installation error: file not found" appeared. File not found was SKU011.CAB and I have not been able to reinstall as I don't have the installation CD as I bought the PC second hand with programs on it. Can anyone help? If you have access to another computer you could save the file from one computer to a disc and copy it in to the appropriate file folder in the computer with the error. "derk22" wrote: > I have been using my PC wit...

Money error
Last week I updated money online and now every transaction I click on or enter comes back "This operation cannot be performed". I can click "OK" and the system continues until another entry. Also I cannot get into my budget. Has anyone experienced this before? Yes. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104. "Antmeg" <antmeg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:064601c3df03$5ba23980$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Last week I updated money online and now every > transaction I click on or enter comes back "This > operation cannot be perform...