one workbook, multiple users....

I plan to create a single workbook which multiple users will
add their data into.   It is possible that two or more users
might attempt to add data simultaneously, but this might not
always occur since only 16 people will have access to the
workbook.  Most users will probably close the multi-user
workbook when they are finished....some users might also
keep that workbook open once they are finished saving
the file.

My question is, are there any pitfalls or facts or valuable
information that I should be aware of before I create this
multi-user workbook??   For example, do I need to
set any special workbook settings in Excel 2007??  etc..

I have never created a workbook that multiple users
will share, so I just want to be well informed before I
create the workbook.

Thank you!

0
Robert

Just don't do it.  Excel file sharing for a purpose like this just creates
more headaches than it's worth.

If it's important to use excel instead of a database to collect data from
users, then create a template file, give them each a copy, and have them
store the copies in a common location with a consistent naming convention.
Then use VBA to automate the collection of the data from their separate files.

"Robert Crandal" wrote:

> I plan to create a single workbook which multiple users will
> add their data into.   It is possible that two or more users
> might attempt to add data simultaneously, but this might not
> always occur since only 16 people will have access to the
> workbook.  Most users will probably close the multi-user
> workbook when they are finished....some users might also
> keep that workbook open once they are finished saving
> the file.
>
> My question is, are there any pitfalls or facts or valuable
> information that I should be aware of before I create this
> multi-user workbook??   For example, do I need to
> set any special workbook settings in Excel 2007??  etc..
>
> I have never created a workbook that multiple users
> will share, so I just want to be well informed before I
> create the workbook.
>
> Thank you!
>

> .

Then why does Excel 2007 have a feature called
"Share Workbook"??   What is the purpose of this setting?
The help caption for this button reads:  "Allows multiple people
to work in a workbook at the same time"   Would this
benefit me in any way??

thank u B Lynn B

"B Lynn B" <BLynnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Just don't do it.  Excel file sharing for a purpose like this just creates
> more headaches than it's worth.
>
> If it's important to use excel instead of a database to collect data from
> users, then create a template file, give them each a copy, and have them
> store the copies in a common location with a consistent naming convention.
> Then use VBA to automate the collection of the data from their separate
> files.

0
Robert
2/22/2010 10:35:47 PM
Just because somebody tells you to jump off a cliff doesn't mean that
you should do it!  You asked for recommendations and we gave you our
recommendations.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
joel

Long Reconnect Times w/Multi-Users?
This is a variation on my prior attempt at a thread "App Runs Slower w/2 Users Than w/1?". Front end on C:, back end on a LAN file server. Code to reconnect tables runs in about 2.5 seconds when I'm the only one logged in to the front end. But when one other person has their copy of the front end up and running, that same re-connect process takes 207 seconds. It's not a religious issue bc the only time that process runs is when I prep the front end for distribution before elevating a new version. OTOH, if the reconnects are that slow... I wonder if the rest of the app is...

Open workbook to specific worksheet
Is there a way to have a workbook open to a certain worksheet regardless of which worksheet was active when the file was saved and clsoed? Example: Worksheets in workbook - data, budget, analysis, comments Saved and closed with data worksheet active On open have budget worksheet active Thanks Dave, you could put some code in the workbook open event like this Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("budget").Select End Sub To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this...

can excel check one column against another
Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E. Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match. Sometimes they don't match. Ouch. So here is m...

see messages in user's maibox
Is there a way, other than Outlook and OWA, to see/look into a user mailbox? The Tracking of a message will not give the message text - right? I need to review all e-mail that has been sent or received by a user - how do I do that? Without using Outlook or OWA. Thx Correct - message tracking will not display message content. Journaling - will dump all mail to a journaling mailbox for all users of a store. Custom apps/scripts can be used if you have permissions on the target mailbox(es). -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "John Leonard - Sage" <...

why crash in the second method of one interface
Hi, Using one class generated from *.tlb to call 2 methods of one COM. The strange thing is that I got one error of the "First-chance exception in : 0xC0000005: Access Violation" in the second method. I also use ASP web page to call both methods of this COM and both methods seems is OK. ITemplateManage mytemplate; if (!mytemplate.CreateDispatch("comobj.TemplateManage")) { IDE_Error::Report (ComError|1,"ComObj.TemplateManage in FUN_Template::Add()"); return false; } result = mytemplate.Check (templatefilename); decodeparameter=mytemplate.GetInfo (templ...

Positioning 2 User Forms
Hi I hope I explain this correctly - I have user form 1 which on opening fills the monitor screen with everything in its correct place and working OK. Within the same Workbook I have a small user form 2 which is opened by a command button on user form 1. On opening that works perfectly OK. However no matter what I try and do and that includes changing Start Up Position = in the VBA the damn thing always opens in the middle of user form 1 - when the desired position would be in an empty space available on the baseline of user form1. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated ...

MSR Credit Card Reader adds all the information on one line
Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # line. Thanks in advance! What type of CC reader(MSR) to you have? Typically this is an issue with simply configuring the MSR. Rob "Steakum" wrote: > Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from > the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # > line. > > Thanks in advance! Its a IDTECH Minimag USB/Keyboard Interface Do I need to select the Wedge Key...

Duplicate Transactions, One When Pending, One When Posted
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching: My problem is, a transaction occurs at my bank, and MM2K7 downloads the data for it. Once that transaction moves from "Pending" to "Posted" at my bank, the transaction data changes, so MM downloads it again. Sometimes I get a possible duplicate message from MM, sometimes I don't. What are people doing to handle this situation? Thank you. This is a problem with your bank, not with Money. Eventually they should fix it. Call them. In the meantime VOID the pending transacti...

Customized desktop Icons for Excel workbooks
I have ceated a rather powerfull workbook using excel that helps my company manage a large range daily tasks. This workbook is used by all office, sales and management personel. A copy of this is kept on thier desktops. I have been trying to come up with a way to change the appearance of the workbooks Desktop Icon (maybe company logo) in hopes of making it stand out among all the other Excel Icons on the desktop. Is thier anyone out there who can help? -- Trimmer Put the excel file itself somewhere other than the desktop (My Documents?) and put a shortcut to the file on the desktop....

Multiple FE server using SSL
Trying to understand before we go there, when you have multiple FE 2003 servers, how do they share the one certificate? TIA! / Per Install the certificate on the first front-end server. Then export the certificate and import it on the subsequent servers. Of course this certificate should be created for the OWA URL, not the server name. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Per Hagstrom" <poh@charter.NOSPAMnet> wrote in message news:eeBqUKh%23GHA.4268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Trying to understand before we ...

grid off on one page
Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:11 -0600, "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote: >Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? Not really as it is a document wide setting.... however, there is workaround open the page shapesheet menu window -> Show shapesheet and set XGridSpacing and YGridSpacing to a large value. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. SSADM for Visio http://www.saadm.sandrila.co.uk/ On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:47:53 +0000, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wro...

Ranking Multiple Columns
Here is an example of a report I run every month, What I do is once I get the Data Listed Below, I add in the 1-5, 6-12, & the 13+ columns, Then I Sort the Data by RESPAR then by DAYS, then I manually Count the Days 1-5 to get a Count of Days between 0 & 5 days, then the same for 6-12 days & 13+ days. I do this by putting a 1 in the First record row with a 0 then hold down the Ctrl KEy and dragging till I reach a day of 6, then start that column over, going to 13. I have about 2000 or more records every month. Is there a formula I can use that will do this for me, with out ...

One to One relationship
I have an Events entity that is an offshoot from the Contacts entity. Basically, it tracks what events each contact has been invited to, and is used mainly by the Events Coordinator. I've set it up as a One (Contact) to Many (Events) relationship. However, I really only want one event form for each contact form. The reason I've set up a different entity rather than just adding a tab is that access to this entity needs to be tightly controlled. Obviously, if many events forms are created for the one contact, it would be very difficult to tell which one is accurate etc. Is it possibl...

Next Date given one date
At this time, I cannot use VBA. Here is my objective: For a given treasury note security: Cell A1, Date 6/17/2004 - today's date Cell A2, Date 7/15/1997 - first coupon date I want to identify the "previous coupon date" and "next coupon date" from today's date based on the frequency of the "first coupon date". Logically speaking: * Security pays 2 times each year * Based on first coupon date, pay dates are: 1/15 & 7/15 * Given today is 6/17/04, the next pay date is 7/15/04. * Given today is 6/17/04, the previous pay date is 1/15/04. Can this be...

Error saving a Shared Workbook
I have a user using a shared workbook and gets an error everytime she does this ONE specific change. She deletes a line and then saves and gets a message that says, "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be shutdown by Windows... blah blah blah". If she makes anyother type of changes it saves just fine. I also had another user do the SAME change and that person also got that error message. When the file is changed to "Not Shared" then the line is deleted it saves fine also. The problem is obviously with the file itself and that is shared out. can anybody ...

Access to other users mailbox
Hope somebody can help We have recently upgraded server & exchange from 2000 to 2003 versions, are using outlook xp clients. We have one generic mailbox that several users have rights to so the contents can be checked, discarded, acted apon etc. We used to be able to forward an email from this maibox to another user, however since the upgrade we get a 'You do not have permission to send to this recipient' when we try this. No rights were altered during the upgrade, so I have no idea why this happens. Any Ideas ? TIA Frank H Found it >-----Original Message----- >H...

route inbound email from ip to one folder
Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain IP address to a single folder? Our company is receiving emails from a source that we do not wish to receive, and would like these email to be directed to a singe folder rather than blocking them. Any ideas? Thanks. you could send them to the turf dir... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245465 "daine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d501c4263d$f4d05110$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain > IP address to a single ...

Exchange
Hi, I would like to send e-mail with a lot of users, maybe more than 10.000 (partner list). Is there any users limit recepient in Exchange 2003 or any default number of users in BCC field? Thnx. Yes, there are limits. Look around on the properties of your Default SMTP Virtual Server and you should be able to figure out what your limits are set at. You also may want to take a look under your Global Settings, Message Delivery properties. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" ...

One client (Server 2k8-R2/HyperV) will not sync with DPM
We have been running DPM successfully for about a year now without any major problems. Recently we added a new server - a fairly robust PowerEdge that will be housing 4 HyperV VMs. For whatever reason, I can't get anything but the HyperV "Initial Store" to sync correctly. I thought initially it might be a problem with the HyperV machines, but it also fails to back up a small directory of files on the host drive. The oddest part about this is I really don't get an error. It will try an initial sync and run for a day or two and show very minimal data tr...

mporting multiple text files into Excel with corresponding filenames
Dear members, I need to import 100+ text files into Excel. In addition I want Excel to show corresponding filename (where the data comes from) in each row. How do I accomplish this? TIA Hi Take a look at Ron de Bruin's site. He has lots of code examples to consolidate files. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- Regards Roger Govier "avi" <avi38521@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9194d7dc-21bb-4fd9-8ecb-aa301a54f7d1@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... > Dear members, > > I need to import 100+ text files into Excel. > > In addition ...

Exchange 5.5 - One Organization
Hello - I am having a problem that I would like some more information on. I have One Organization (5.5) and 16 Sites (5.5) and would like to know why I can't stop the other sites from sending mail through me. If I can, I would like to know how. Thanks for any help. what do you mean by "sending mail through me"? What mail? Internet email? Does each site have its own Internet Mail Service? Or is your site kind of the "hub" where all Internet email comes in and goes out? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dave.mudgett" <davemudgett@discussions.microsoft....

See more than one tab at a time
I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or more tabs from the same worksheet On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:57:03 -0700, "rocky59" <rocky59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. >Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or >more tabs from the same worksheet That would be because each tab represents a single worksheet. Clicking on the tab would move you from where ...

Why Would You Lose Sound On One User
WXP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with all current updates Dell Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80Ghz 2.79Ghz, 512 MB RAM System has three users all with admin rights - User 1(primary - me), User 2 (wife), and System Admin. (which I made visible on desktop). I (User 1) have lost sound when attempting to play CD's, and other audio files using WMP 11, however, I can still hear system sounds. User 2 and System Admin. still have full sound. System restore does not help ( in this case I only had a restore point from 5 days ago. Any thoughts? -- Skeeter "Old age and ...

Combining two fields into one in a query for a report
The database I am working on is to keep track of parts that are either in their storage area (on a shelf) or on an assembly line. I have two fields, one called Shelf and every part has a shelf assigned to it. The other field is Line and if a part in on an assembly line, there is a number indicating that line, if the part is on it's shelf, the word STOCK appears in the line field. (Has to be this way for the rest of the database to work, so this is not up for question) Now, I need to creat a report to show where all parts are. If they are on a line the result needs to show the l...