Need largest number

I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have another
numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.

All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns 1
and 2.

Example:
Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need formula)
12345     AA          1           5
12345     AA          1           5
12345     AA          2           5
98765     BA          2           2
98765     BA          1           2
12345     AA          5           5
98765     BA           2          2

Thank you.

Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
down...

=SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))

Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the largest
row number you ever expect to put data in.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
> next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
> another
> numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
>
> All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
> find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns
> 1
> and 2.
>
> Example:
> Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
> formula)
> 12345     AA          1           5
> 12345     AA          1           5
> 12345     AA          2           5
> 98765     BA          2           2
> 98765     BA          1           2
> 12345     AA          5           5
> 98765     BA           2          2
>
> Thank you.

0
Rick
6/7/2010 5:23:57 PM
That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> down...
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
>
> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the largest
> row number you ever expect to put data in.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
> > next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
> > another
> > numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
> >
> > All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
> > find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns
> > 1
> > and 2.
> >
> > Example:
> > Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
> > formula)
> > 12345     AA          1           5
> > 12345     AA          1           5
> > 12345     AA          2           5
> > 98765     BA          2           2
> > 98765     BA          1           2
> > 12345     AA          5           5
> > 98765     BA           2          2
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> .

The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.

--

> That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
>
> "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
>
>> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
>> down...
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
>>
>> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
>> largest
>> row number you ever expect to put data in.
>>
>> --
>> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>>

>> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In
>> > the
>> > next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
>> > another
>> > numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
>> >
>> > All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do
>> > is
>> > find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of
>> > columns
>> > 1
>> > and 2.
>> >
>> > Example:
>> > Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
>> > formula)
>> > 12345     AA          1           5
>> > 12345     AA          1           5
>> > 12345     AA          2           5
>> > 98765     BA          2           2
>> > 98765     BA          1           2
>> > 12345     AA          5           5
>> > 98765     BA           2          2
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> .

0
Rick
6/7/2010 7:33:00 PM
Sorry about that.  User error.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
> be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
> attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
> process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
> different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
> formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
> I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
> sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> >> down...
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
> >>
> >> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
> >> largest
> >> row number you ever expect to put data in.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Rick,

I sent you the file in hopes you can help again.  It doesn't seem to work in
the actual file although it works in the test file of the sample I gave.
THanks.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
> be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
> attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
> process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
> different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
> formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
> I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
> sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> >> down...
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
> >>
> >> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
> >> largest
> >> row number you ever expect to put data in.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ?
how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? You can't. Why would you? The Outlook Address Book is only a list of electronic addresses to which you can address messages. Why would you need a phone number there? Phone numbers, like all Contact data, are stored in your Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ingaga" <Ingaga @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C2224F0-0E8B-4E20-A2AC-200B044053FD@microsoft.com... > how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? What in the world is the purpse of the Outlook address book whe...

Excel need help

Automatic Outline Numbering in Publish?
The automatic numbering found in Word on the menu: Formats/Bullets & Numbering - Outline Numbered does not appear to be offered in the text box in MS Publish. If this is true how does one do autimatic numbering with multi levels in a document in Publish? Respond to email in display name if possible. dwalsh@spectraenv.com <dwalsh@spectraenv.com@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > The automatic numbering found in Word on the menu: Formats/Bullets & > Numbering - Outline Numbered does not appear to be offered in the > text box in MS Publish...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

need help badly

I need Help

Maximum number of worksheet tabs?
Anyone know the maximum number of worksheet tabs (don't feel like trying by trial and error)? Hi Ryan The maximum number of sheets in a workbook is limited by available memory. The max number of sheets that can, by default, be in a newly created workbook is 255 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5DE29A8-1AC0-4094-AA83-9FDCF383F615@microsoft.com... > Anyone know the maximum number of worksheet tabs (don't feel like trying by trial and error)? Ryan, Thi...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...

number of spaces between numbers
I am wondering if there is a formula to show how often a number is listed. ie. List 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 4, 3, 1, 1, 5, 2, 3 This would show 1: 8, 1 2: 4, 6 3: 5, 5 4: 3 5: 6 in other words show the space between when the number showed and the next time it showed. Thank you. I could even create a formula to show what row the number was found. ie. Row Number ----- --------- 100 1 101 2 102 3 103 2 104 3 105 1 Having the results show: 1: 100, 105 2: 101, 103 3: 102, 104 Any help would be appreciated. "David" wrote:...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

auto number columns in excel
Is there a way to set up a column of numbers so that it automatically updates the numbers every time a line is added or deleted? >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to set up a column of numbers so that it automatically updates >the numbers every time a line is added or deleted? >. >Use =count(A1:A10) or more rows as required. If its the last row used - =row(B1) extended down to maybe B100. Then you can use =large(B1:B100) this will give you the last row used. Mal I either did not understand the reply given or was not clear in what I am trying to accom...

How to calculate number of transaction per application in Great Pl
Hello, We are in the process to migrate to a new server at our Head office and I need to figure on the amount of transactions that we have on our current Great Plains companies that occur on either daily/weekly/ or monthly basis. Can you help on how and where I can execute either a report or SQL statement?. The modules that we currently use are Sales, Purchasing and Financial. Thank you in advance If you are posting transactions to the GL in detail, you could possibly sum all the transactions in the GL for the open year and come up with a summary. Failing that you probably have to s...