Macro for merging rows

I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie:
E0800100, E0800101).  The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an
individual row as seen below:

A                    B                       C
E0800100       Review....           1.0 (hr)
E0800100       Review....           2.0
E0800101       Review....           1.5
E0800102       Review....           .5

I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per
file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of
that row.

A.                      B.                         C.
 D.                          E.
E0800100          Review....              1.0
Review.....             2.0
E0900101          Review....              1.5
E0900102          Review...               .5

The spreadsheet is not consistent in that there are 2 or 3 entries for every
file number but ranges from 1-15 entries.  I attempted to combine various
macro formulas I've seen but have had no such luck and am at a loss to if
this is possible.  Any information or direction to getting this as close as
possible would be appreciated.

Hi rsklhm

Using Excel 2003 I have created this:

Sub MergeOnColumnA()
Dim lastRow As Long
Dim loopRow As Long

lastRow = Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1

loopRow = ActiveCell.Row
Do While loopRow < lastRow
 Cells(loopRow, 1).Select
 If Cells(loopRow, 1).Value = Cells(loopRow - 1, 1).Value Then
  Cells(loopRow - 1, 1).End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Value = _
   Cells(loopRow, 2)
  Cells(loopRow - 1, 1).End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Value = _
   Cells(loopRow, 3)
  Rows(loopRow).Delete
 lastRow = lastRow - 1
 Else
  loopRow = loopRow + 1
 End If
Loop

End Sub

HTH,

Wouter
0
Wouter
5/25/2010 8:10:59 PM
Hello Wouter,

I have tried your program and think that the fifth line of:
loopRow=ActiveCell.Row
should be replaced with:

loopRow=2

Best Regards,

Gabor Sebo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Wouter HM" <wouter.magre@sogeti.nl> wrote in message
> Hi rsklhm
>
> Using Excel 2003 I have created this:
>
> Sub MergeOnColumnA()
> Dim lastRow As Long
> Dim loopRow As Long
>
> lastRow = Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
>
> loopRow = ActiveCell.Row
> Do While loopRow < lastRow
> Cells(loopRow, 1).Select
> If Cells(loopRow, 1).Value = Cells(loopRow - 1, 1).Value Then
>  Cells(loopRow - 1, 1).End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Value = _
>   Cells(loopRow, 2)
>  Cells(loopRow - 1, 1).End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 1).Value = _
>   Cells(loopRow, 3)
>  Rows(loopRow).Delete
> lastRow = lastRow - 1
> Else
>  loopRow = loopRow + 1
> End If
> Loop
>
> End Sub
>
> HTH,
>
> Wouter

0
helene
5/26/2010 12:15:52 AM
e0800100 review 3.5                  e0800100 review 3.5
review 4.5                                   e0800100 review 4.5
review 5.5                                   e0800100 review 5.5
e0800101 review 2.5                  e0800101 review 2.5
review 2.5                                   e0800101 review 2.5
review 3.5                                   e0800101 review 3.5
review 52.5                                 e0800101 review 52.5
e0800201 review 52.5                e0800201 review 52.5
e0800202 review 52.5                e0800202 review 52.5
e0800402 review 52.5                e0800402 review 52.5
review 52.5                                 e0800402 review 52.5
review 52.5                                 e0800402 review 52.5
review 52.5                                 e0800402 review 52.5

 OUTPUT                                             INPUT

'Hi rsklhm

Sub MergeOnColumnA()
Dim lastRow As Long
Dim loopRow As Long
Dim i As Integer
Dim last As String

lastRow = Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1

For i = 2 To lastRow
    If i = 2 Then
        last = Cells(i - 1, 1).Value
    End If

If Cells(i, 1) = last Or Cells(i, 1) = Cells(i - 1, 1).Value Then

    Cells(i, 1) = Cells(i, 2).Value
    Cells(i, 2) = Cells(i, 3).Value
    Cells(i, 3) = ""
End If

    If Cells(i, 3) <> "" Then
         last = Cells(i, 1).Value
    End If
 Next i
End Sub

Hello,

Input, output and program attached.

Best Regards

Gabor Sebo
"rsklhm" <rsklhm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
helene
5/26/2010 12:08:53 PM
Assumes you have sorted first
'=======
Option Explicit
Sub lineemupSAS()
Dim i As Long
Dim lc As Long
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
If Cells(i - 1, 1) = Cells(i, 1) Then
lc = Cells(i - 1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column + 1
Cells(i - 1, lc) = Cells(i, 2)
Cells(i - 1, lc + 1) = Cells(i, 3)
Rows(i).Delete
End If
Next i
End Sub
'=========
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"rsklhm" <rsklhm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie:
> E0800100, E0800101).  The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on
> an
> individual row as seen below:
>
> A                    B                       C
> E0800100       Review....           1.0 (hr)
> E0800100       Review....           2.0
> E0800101       Review....           1.5
> E0800102       Review....           .5
>
> I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per
> file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns
> of
> that row.
>
> A.                      B.                         C.
> D.                          E.
> E0800100          Review....              1.0
> Review.....             2.0
> E0900101          Review....              1.5
> E0900102          Review...               .5
>
> The spreadsheet is not consistent in that there are 2 or 3 entries for
> every
> file number but ranges from 1-15 entries.  I attempted to combine various
> macro formulas I've seen but have had no such luck and am at a loss to if
> this is possible.  Any information or direction to getting this as close
> as
> possible would be appreciated.

0
Don

Macro warning with no macros

deleting rows #4
In microsoft encell 2000 when i delete a row (say row 5) the row disapears but so does the row number then all other rows are moved up is there a way to delete the row and keep the number 5? The row number shouldn't disappear unless you are hiding the row, not deleting it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Doctorpc631" <doctorpc631@aol.com> wrote in message news:e4FaNYV4EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In microsoft encell 2000 when i delete a row (say row 5) the row > disapears > but s...

campaign via mail merge: failure
Hi All, I'm fighting with strange issue in campaign activity that use e-mail merge. When distribute campaign activity, email was sent to only the first member of marketing list. No errors are displayed or traked in trace log. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? My configuration is: CRM 4.0, Outolook 2007 SP1 Many thanks, Luke We are running into similar issues on our mail merge and quick campaigns. The merge does not bring all selected contacts into the merge for email distribution. We have been unable to determine cause and which contacts are being chosen. Any suggestion...

Macro

Copying a variable nuimber of rows
I want to copy the most recent 10 rows (excluding the header row) from worksheet A to worksheet B. My problem is how do I define a variable number of rows if there are fewer than 10 lines completed? I do not want to copy any blank lines. I am fairly new to VBA and am struggling to work out the code for this so any help will be gratefully appreciated. John Try With Activesheet LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row if LastRow > 10 Then FirstRow = LastRow - 9 Else FirstRow = 1 EndIf ...

Macro

Mail Merge #8
I am having a problem with my mail merge, If I type in my Excel cell 15.67, In the mail merge, it comes across as 15.6700000000000001. This has recently started happening, it worked fine before. Does anyone have any insights? You could temporarily use tools>calculations and select precision as displayed -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Assistant" <alallemont@fnbrf.com> wrote in message news:345f01c3e1ed$fb228c70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am having a problem with my mail merge, If I type in my > Excel cell 15.67, In the mail merge, it comes across as > 15.670000000...

Attached Toolbars Macros

Changing Rows to Columns
Is it possible to easily rotate a spreadsheet or part of a spreadshet, to change the data in rows to columns? Do to a sorting problem in the charts I create, it seems I have to sort the data in the spreadsheet first. Any help would be appreciated. Hi, Sure is a way. select & copy your data. then select the cell where you want to re-paste; right-click and select paste special; in the dialog box check "transpose". Ok. jeff >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to easily rotate a spreadsheet or part of a >spreadshet, to change the data in rows to columns? D...

Run macro automatically.

Help with macro/and or formula?

Cannot insert new rows
I am running excel 2007 and I have 23 worksheets in a workbook. I have no links or hidden rows or colums. My biggest sheet is A1: AW8096. I use VB macros to add lines and move data from one set of workbooks to this one. I have built several sheets using this proceedure. All of a sudden I get the error "Cannot shift objects off sheet" when I run a routine I have 50,000 times. I have checked to make sure there are no hidden comments, row or columns. I have deleted most of the worksheets and I still get the error. I have made copies of the workbook and used different file ...

Protected sheets and running macros

Macro to remove rows?

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Calling on a macro within a macro!

shortcut keys to macros

Turn off auto adjust of row heights
I have a complex spreadsheet for my catalogue of products. I have set row heights, fonts and sizes of texts for different rows. Every now and then my row heights are automatically changed by EXCEL. I have turned off word wrap I have locked/protected my sheet. How can I stop EXCEL automatically readjusting row heights at its discretion. Thanks ...

help Unable to record Macro !!!!!!!

Macro that password protects a sheet

Inserting Rows
Hi, I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a time and then selecting 'insert row'? Thanks Ben Hi Ben have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2pt5r Frank Ben wrote: > Hi, > > I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a > blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of > doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a > time and then selecting 'insert row'? > > Thanks > > Ben Thanks...

Footer Macro?
Hi Months ago I read a Public Sub Macro that read the selection of a drop down list in a combo box and placed it in the center Footer at the same time it also placed the date in the right Footer and tme in the left footer. I have searched most of the regular sites including this one and cannot find it anywhere --- Can anyone help with my search. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully ...

Keyboard Shortcut in Macro
Hi all i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it to Ctrl+z how can i do it . regards Tools-->Macro-->Macros. Select (don't open!) your macro, and hit the Options button. :) ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "osaka78" <osaka78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1721A458-212D-4446-8209-494A459EE428@microsoft.com... > Hi all > i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it > to > Ctrl+z > how can i do it . > > regards THE MACRO IS NO...

merging charts
Id like to put data from different columns in a chart. I've got a spreadsheet with multiple 2x20 'tables'. In the first column is speed and in the second column is a torque value for the given speed in the first column. Problem seems to be that the 1st column in each of these 'tables' arent the same values, but there all speed. say I have in the first table speed values of 10,15,20,25.... and in another table I have speed values of 12,16,22,23....... Id like to plot all of the table on 1 graph(line). Anyway to do this within excel(vista)? Hi, 1. Easiest way is ju...

Mail merge for entities like invoice and order
Hi All Does any know the reason that why it is not possible to use mail perge function for entities like invoice or order? Regards Edgar On Aug 27, 8:05=A0pm, "Edgar Cheung" <edgar che...@bechelon.com.hk> wrote: > Hi All > > Does any know the reason that why it is not possible to use mail perge > function for entities like invoice or order? > > Regards > Edgar No good reason other than, I'm guessing, they ran out of time. Your best bet might be a report. Leon Tribe Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blo...