Macro for blocker from using cell range

Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
would normally be locked?

Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...

Regards, Lenny

With "qwerty" as defined name for range  =Sheet1!$A$1:$F$12,Day!$A$26:$F$34

    Dim myrange As Range
    Set myrange = Me.Range("qwerty")
    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
        With Me
            .Protect Password:="justme"
            .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
        End With
    Else
        If Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
            Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
        End If
    End If
ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Paste into Sheet1 code module.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:10:16 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
>allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
>worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
>would normally be locked?
>
>Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
>
>Regards, Lenny

0
Gord
3/23/2010 5:03:28 PM
If you don't want to assign a range name just work off locked or unlocked
cells.

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Locked = True Then
        With Me
            .Protect Password:="justme"
            .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
        End With
    Else
        If Target.Locked = False Then

wrote:

>Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
>allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
>worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
>would normally be locked?
>
>Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
>
>Regards, Lenny

0
Gord
3/23/2010 5:24:53 PM
"Lenny" replied:  Gord, my thanks for the reply and assistance.  Would it be
an imposition to ask further if you might explain in 'lay' terms what each
line or block of of the code is doing.  I know lots of site visitors are
trolling for the code, but I would like to understand what the code is
telling me (this from a newbie).  Further explanation would be greatly
appreciated and anyone new to programming might also get a learning
experience.  Regards - Lenny

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> With "qwerty" as defined name for range  =Sheet1!$A$1:$F$12,Day!$A$26:$F$34
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
>     Dim myrange As Range
>     Set myrange = Me.Range("qwerty")
>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = False
>     If Not Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
>         With Me
>             .Protect Password:="justme"
>             .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
>         End With
>     Else
>         If Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
>             Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
>         End If
>     End If
> ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> Paste into Sheet1 code module.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:10:16 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
> >allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
> >worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
> >would normally be locked?
> >
> >Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
> >
> >Regards, Lenny
>
> .

See responses in-line

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:50:06 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Lenny" replied:  Gord, my thanks for the reply and assistance.  Would it be
>an imposition to ask further if you might explain in 'lay' terms what each
>line or block of of the code is doing.  I know lots of site visitors are
>trolling for the code, but I would like to understand what the code is
>telling me (this from a newbie).  Further explanation would be greatly
>appreciated and anyone new to programming might also get a learning
>experience.  Regards - Lenny
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> With "qwerty" as defined name for range  =Sheet1!$A$1:$F$12,Day!$A$26:$F$34

select those cells using CTRL + click then Insert>Name>Define

>> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Selection is whatever cell you click on

>>     Dim myrange As Range

see Dim in VBA help

>>     Set myrange = Me.Range("qwerty")

"qwerty" is a defined range
me is parent object......in this case the worksheet

>>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:

if an error is encountered go to ws_exit which resets enableevents to true

>>     Application.EnableEvents = False

prevent looping

>>     If Not Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then

if target(selected cell) is within "myrange" move on next step

>>         With Me

protect the sheet

>>             .Protect Password:="justme"
>>             .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions

allow selection of any cell

>>         End With
>>     Else
>>         If Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then

if target is not within "myrange" then unprotect the sheet

>>             Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
>>         End If
>>     End If
>> ws_exit:
>>     Application.EnableEvents = True

re-enable events

>> End Sub
>>
>> Paste into Sheet1 code module.
>>

>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

If you look at the second set of code I posted you will see the difference.

No named range.........just locked or unlocked cells chosen by yourself
prior to running the code.

Gord

>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:10:16 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
>> >allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
>> >worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
>> >would normally be locked?
>> >
>> >Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
>> >
>> >Regards, Lenny
>>
>> .

0
Gord
3/23/2010 6:23:04 PM
"Lenny" replied:  Gord - many, many thanks!  Makes so much more sense now.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> With "qwerty" as defined name for range  =Sheet1!$A$1:$F$12,Day!$A$26:$F$34
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
>     Dim myrange As Range
>     Set myrange = Me.Range("qwerty")
>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = False
>     If Not Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
>         With Me
>             .Protect Password:="justme"
>             .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
>         End With
>     Else
>         If Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
>             Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
>         End If
>     End If
> ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> Paste into Sheet1 code module.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:10:16 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
> >allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
> >worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
> >would normally be locked?
> >
> >Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
> >
> >Regards, Lenny
>
> .

"lenny" replied:  May I ask another question, based on what I need to
accomplish with the code below?

I have been setting up Word templates for years and understand the
relationship between the master or user group template and the saved .doc.
Our IT department sets up each computer so the 'templates' are accessed thru
each of the programs FILE>NEW.

Excel as a vehicle for e-forms is relatively new.  It seems a lot of the
coding is different between Word and Excel.. I'm trying to understand if
Excel has the same relationship with it's offspring files as word, especially
in regards to vb programming. My company stores all electronic form templates
(word, excel) on a server.  Code, when written or copied directly into the vb
editor of a .xls file, seems to stay put, but I noticed that the custom
toolbar I created in the .xls file
disappeared from the VIEW>TOOLBARS dropdown.  I read in an obit that custom
toolbars do not pass with the files created off the master template. Is
there any way to override this? Are key combinations lost also?  I recently
discovered that if I create these items directly in a Word (.doc)... they
pass to subsequent files created and was wondering if there was a way to
accomplish this in Excel also.  Thank you for taking the time to read my
post.... regards - Lenny

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> If you don't want to assign a range name just work off locked or unlocked
> cells.
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = False
>     If Target.Locked = True Then
>         With Me
>             .Protect Password:="justme"
>             .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
>         End With
>     Else
>         If Target.Locked = False Then
>             Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
>         End If
>     End If
> ws_exit:
>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:10:16 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
> >allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
> >worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
> >would normally be locked?
> >
> >Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
> >
> >Regards, Lenny
>
> .

In Excel, customizations to Menus and Toolbars are stored in your
Excelxx.xlb file.

Other users will not have your customized Toolbar because they have their
own *.xlb

I suugest using code in your Template to create the Toolbar.

That code will pass to the workbooks created from the Template.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for code by Dave Peterson to build and destroy a
Toolbar.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlToolbar02.html

Gord

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:58:01 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"lenny" replied:  May I ask another question, based on what I need to
>accomplish with the code below?
>
>I have been setting up Word templates for years and understand the
>relationship between the master or user group template and the saved .doc.
>Our IT department sets up each computer so the 'templates' are accessed thru
>each of the programs FILE>NEW.
>
>Excel as a vehicle for e-forms is relatively new.  It seems a lot of the
>coding is different between Word and Excel.. I'm trying to understand if
>Excel has the same relationship with it's offspring files as word, especially
>in regards to vb programming. My company stores all electronic form templates
>(word, excel) on a server.  Code, when written or copied directly into the vb
>editor of a .xls file, seems to stay put, but I noticed that the custom
>toolbar I created in the .xls file
>disappeared from the VIEW>TOOLBARS dropdown.  I read in an obit that custom
>toolbars do not pass with the files created off the master template. Is
>there any way to override this? Are key combinations lost also?  I recently
>discovered that if I create these items directly in a Word (.doc)... they
>pass to subsequent files created and was wondering if there was a way to
>accomplish this in Excel also.  Thank you for taking the time to read my
>post.... regards - Lenny
>

>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> If you don't want to assign a range name just work off locked or unlocked
>> cells.
>>
>> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
>>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
>>     Application.EnableEvents = False
>>     If Target.Locked = True Then
>>         With Me
>>             .Protect Password:="justme"
>>             .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
>>         End With
>>     Else
>>         If Target.Locked = False Then
>>             Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
>>         End If
>>     End If
>> ws_exit:
>>     Application.EnableEvents = True
>> End Sub
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:10:16 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Is there a way to write code that can unlock a worksheet (w/password)
>> >allowing the user access to functionality while relocking (w/password) the
>> >worksheet should the user mouse click or move into a range of cells that
>> >would normally be locked?
>> >
>> >Assistance and a learning opportunity is always appreciated...
>> >
>> >Regards, Lenny
>>
>> .

0
Gord
3/23/2010 8:55:23 PM
"Lenny" replied:
Gord - many thanks for taking the time to see this thread thru.  You have
been most helpful.... regards

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> In Excel, customizations to Menus and Toolbars are stored in your
> Excelxx.xlb file.
>
> Other users will not have your customized Toolbar because they have their
> own *.xlb
>
> I suugest using code in your Template to create the Toolbar.
>
> That code will pass to the workbooks created from the Template.
>
> See Debra Dalgleish's site for code by Dave Peterson to build and destroy a
> Toolbar.
>
> http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlToolbar02.html
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:58:01 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"lenny" replied:  May I ask another question, based on what I need to
> >accomplish with the code below?
> >
> >I have been setting up Word templates for years and understand the
> >relationship between the master or user group template and the saved .doc.
> >Our IT department sets up each computer so the 'templates' are accessed thru
> >each of the programs FILE>NEW.
> >
> >Excel as a vehicle for e-forms is relatively new.  It seems a lot of the
> >coding is different between Word and Excel.. I'm trying to understand if
> >Excel has the same relationship with it's offspring files as word, especially
> >in regards to vb programming. My company stores all electronic form templates
> >(word, excel) on a server.  Code, when written or copied directly into the vb
> >editor of a .xls file, seems to stay put, but I noticed that the custom
> >toolbar I created in the .xls file
> >disappeared from the VIEW>TOOLBARS dropdown.  I read in an obit that custom
> >toolbars do not pass with the files created off the master template. Is
> >there any way to override this? Are key combinations lost also?  I recently
> >discovered that if I create these items directly in a Word (.doc)... they
> >pass to subsequent files created and was wondering if there was a way to
> >accomplish this in Excel also.  Thank you for taking the time to read my
> >post.... regards - Lenny
> >

> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't want to assign a range name just work off locked or unlocked
> >> cells.
> >>
> >> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
> >>     On Error GoTo ws_exit:
> >>     Application.EnableEvents = False
> >>     If Target.Locked = True Then
> >>         With Me
> >>             .Protect Password:="justme"
> >>             .EnableSelection = xlNoRestrictions
> >>         End With
> >>     Else
> >>         If Target.Locked = False Then
> >>             Me.Unprotect Password:="justme"
> >>         End If
> >>     End If
> >> ws_exit:
> >>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> >> End Sub
> >>

> >> Gord

> >> .
> >>

> .

Thanks and good luck with project.

Gord

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:30:02 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Lenny" replied:
>Gord - many thanks for taking the time to see this thread thru.  You have
>been most helpful.... regards
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> In Excel, customizations to Menus and Toolbars are stored in your
>> Excelxx.xlb file.
>>
>> Other users will not have your customized Toolbar because they have their
>> own *.xlb
>>
>> I suugest using code in your Template to create the Toolbar.
>>
>> That code will pass to the workbooks created from the Template.
>>
>> See Debra Dalgleish's site for code by Dave Peterson to build and destroy a
>> Toolbar.
>>
>> http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlToolbar02.html
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:58:01 -0700, Lenny <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"lenny" replied:  May I ask another question, based on what I need to
>> >accomplish with the code below?
>> >
>> >I have been setting up Word templates for years and understand the
>> >relationship between the master or user group template and the saved .doc.
>> >Our IT department sets up each computer so the 'templates' are accessed thru
>> >each of the programs FILE>NEW.
>> >
>> >Excel as a vehicle for e-forms is relatively new.  It seems a lot of the
>> >coding is different between Word and Excel.. I'm trying to understand if
>> >Excel has the same relationship with it's offspring files as word, especially
>> >in regards to vb programming. My company stores all electronic form templates
>> >(word, excel) on a server.  Code, when written or copied directly into the vb
>> >editor of a .xls file, seems to stay put, but I noticed that the custom
>> >toolbar I created in the .xls file
>> >disappeared from the VIEW>TOOLBARS dropdown.  I read in an obit that custom
>> >toolbars do not pass with the files created off the master template. Is
>> >there any way to override this? Are key combinations lost also?  I recently
>> >discovered that if I create these items directly in a Word (.doc)... they
>> >pass to subsequent files created and was wondering if there was a way to
>> >accomplish this in Excel also.  Thank you for taking the time to read my
>> >post.... regards - Lenny

>> .

0
Gord

Macro warning with no macros

Create a status designation from 5 date fields using "Not IsNull"
I am still learning, lots that I don't know, but I am trying to create a status designation from 5 date fields using "Not IsNull" and having difficulty. I am not sure if this will fuction best in query, forms... can I do this on the table??? After some research, this is what I have in a query for now and it seems to work but I don't want a number: Status: IIf(Not IsNull([cogradulate]),5,IIf(Not IsNull([verifydate]),4,IIf(Not IsNull([permCAdate]),3,IIf(Not IsNull([shorttermCAdate]),2,IIf(Not IsNull([containmentdate]),1,0))))) When I change it to a word in...

"Find" using VBA
Hello, I'm trying to use VBA to search to through all sheets of a workbook and find a specially formatted instance of the value that is in Sheet 1, Cell A4. For instance, if the value of Sheet 1, Cell A4 is "1001", I need to find where in the Workbook that value is formatted Bold Italic. The catch is, the value of A4 changes. I have had some success using the Macro Recorder if the value of Cell A4 is fixed but any altering of that code returns an error. Any help appreciated. Bob Thanks Dave, works terrific. Excels "Find" does the job as well but I was having a hard...

Using Graphs in Publisher
I am trying to do a mail merge in publisher and have data for a simple graph in the document come from the data source(excel file). I can't seem to figure out how to get a merge feild into the graph data. Any one with experience with this? Hi RT (rt_stevenson@yahoo.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I am trying to do a mail merge in publisher and have data || for a simple graph in the document come from the data || source(excel file). I can't seem to figure out how to get || a merge feild into the graph data. Any one with || experience with this? You will have to create...

create a formula by using text from other cells
I need to effectively use multiple If/Vlookup functions. i.e. if it's Oranges, Lookup price history in "oranges worksheet". But I have too many categories to search in so this is not possible. So I had another solution, but can't make it work... In this case I am using a VLOOKUP formula and want to use one cell to search on (a1) and another cell to tell it which spreadsheet to search in (Sheet2) i.e. =Vlookup(a1,'[WorkbookData.xlsx](CellA2 i.e.Worksheet Name),2,False) So is there a way to create a formula that uses text from another cell? INDIRECT is yo...

Macro

saving the history of recently used excel documentsto another comp
Reimaging a computer and wanting to know if I can export the excel history to the new image. Most files are on the network and not sure where they are, don't want to remap them all If you're referring to the files listed at the bottom of the File menu you'd have to run the Regedit program and go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Recent Files replacing the "11.0" with your Excel version if different. Then you would have to right click on the Recent Files folder and Export it. After the reimage you would double-click the resultin...

Launch program using Shell function
Is it possible to launch an external program using VBA without specifying the application path? I want to launch a program where the location of the executable will vary based on the version installed on the users machine. The executable is the same regardless of the version installed and it appears there are at least four versions (and four locations) that could be present on the users machine. So instead of this: RetVal = Shell("C:\WINDOWS\CALC.EXE", 1) is there any way to achieve something like this: RetVal = Shell(CALC.EXE, 1) Use quote marks around the argu...

Word uses up a lot of memory
When I open a file of Word97-03, it uses up a lot of memory. eg. My RAM is 4GB and it uses up 1,002,188K for WINWORD.EXE Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Word. Should you do that, it might help the responder to know more about your setup. What version of Word are you using? What Operating System? What else is running at the same time and so on. Good luck! -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele...

Macro

How to Use One PST file on Two Computers?
Hello: I have a desktop machine with a pst file in my Outlook 2003. I would like to copy this pst file to my laptop. How do I synchronize the same file on 2 machines so I won't get duplicate e-mails? I use one premium Yahoo e-mail account and several free Yahoo accounts with YahooPOPs.. Thanks in advance, Spudy Hi Spudy, it is not possible by default to share PST files. A list of a list of third-party synctools are also on this site: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm On the Microsoft Office Marketplace site is a list of third-party messaging tools: http://office.microsoft.com...

Help with macro/and or formula?

Run macro automatically.

Attached Toolbars Macros

File In Use
I am trying to open an excel program that is shared on a network drive. When I go to open it the following message box pops up.... File In Use name.xls is locked for editing by 'user name'. open by 'read only' or click 'notify' to open read-only and receive notification when the document is no longer in use. The user name that it is saying is me and I don't have the file open. Does anyone know why it is saying this or how to fix it? I guess it thinks I have the file open, maybe it didn't close right but I can't figure it out. Thanks Dave ma...

VBA Command to Look at cell in an If statement
I need to create a macro in VBA that will look at a specific cell (which contains the result of a lookup formula) in an If statement. Basically it would look at a certian cell, and If that cell had the word "YES", then it would execute a seprate macro. If not, just continue on it merry way. I have tried the following and several variations: Sheets("Print Area").Select Range("BO8:BO8").Select If BO8 = YES Then Call PrintBatch What the program has to do is look at the last entry made in a specific column (hence the use of the Lookup formula in the cell) and...

Protected sheets and running macros

Use old version on new PC?
Can I use an old version of office from my old (disabled) PC and move it to my new Laptop? "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8792074-00E6-4675-AF82-4F6729C49F96@microsoft.com... > Can I use an old version of office from my old (disabled) PC and move it > to > my new Laptop? Possibly. If it was OEM (for sale or use on a new PC on the disk label) then no as it dies with the first computer it was installed onto. If retail then yes as long as you can get it to install. Office 2002 and newer are not supported on Windows...

how to use VGEdit active X library in project
hi All, I am working on the development of a prototype using VGEdit tool. But I am very new to this tool. I got a sample project along with the tool but it is not helping me much in my project.I have to meet a deadline very soon... Please help me ... ...

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Macro to remove rows?

If criteria not met use msgbox
I am very new to code. I have created macros in the past. How can I write code that would let me manipulate data. For example: I want them to enter a date that automatically puts Sunday in the cel above it (Cell C5). I have this done in a formula so far!! What I want if it's not Sunday, is a message box that pops up and say "the date you entered is not equal to Sunday, change the date. " The go back to the cell so they can enter the new date? I am sure this is basic for some. I just can't get it to work. Michael; -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Is this...

Calling on a macro within a macro!

Trend Line constants as Excel Cell Values
I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel Cells. Are there formula's to do this? Equation is Y = Ax(2) + Bx + C. I want the value of A,B and C in seperate cells. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? Thanks -- Ken Hi Ken, Supposing your x-range is in A2:A10, and y-range in B2:B10, select a 3-column x 1-row area and enter the following formula and confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. =LINEST(B2:B10,A2:A10^{0,1,2},0,) Regards, B. R. Ramachandran "Ken" wrote: > I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel &g...