Linking Large Text Database to Excel - 68738

PROBLEM
I am trying to find a way to decrease the file size of a document
where I currently import data from text documents (which I have to
convert to Excel format through a Tab Delimited conversion).
Currently the file is around 20M and will most likely be shared and is
a process that will be repeated every 3 months.  I am totally ignorant
when it come to working outside Excel (and my Macro skills are sub
par :)

Below is a background of the issue and with my current setup to give
context to my problem.

BACKGROUND
The information comes from Bank Call Reports which I can download bulk
data from the FDIC website for free.  Every report from every bank
uses this template.  Every bank is given a unique identifier number
and every reported dollar number is assigned a code.  For Example
Total Assets is assigned the Identifier RCON2170 (RCON for short),
for all banks.  There are over 7,500 banks that report quarterly and
well over 1,000 RCON codes.
When I download the bulk data, it downloads in a compressed folder
which I unzip.  The data is in approximately 40 different text files
broken apart by the section (Schedule)  in the report (ie Schedule RC
is the Balance Sheet section)

CURRENT SETUP
Right now I import the sections I need (about 6).  Each sheet lists
all 7,500 banks by ID number and average 100 RCON numbers per tab
(750,000 cells per tab).  I then link up these pages to a template
that searches the appropriate tab through and INDEX-MATCH formula
which finds the number based on the RCON number and the banks ID.  The
template is set up so numerous banks can be compared side by side just
by entering the banks unique identifier.

ISSUE
My problem is that the files are creeping up towards 20M. Is there a
way to have my INDEX MATCH formula (or something similar) search the
text files and then return the right number based on the RCON number
and banks unique ID number while limiting my file size?  Any help
would be tremendously helpful.  Thank you for your time.
0
cardan

On May 6, 10:24=A0am, cardan <carlsondan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PROBLEM
> I am trying to find a way to decrease the file size of a document
> where I currently import data from text documents (which I have to
> convert to Excel format through a Tab Delimited conversion).
> Currently the file is around 20M and will most likely be shared and is
> a process that will be repeated every 3 months. =A0I am totally ignorant
> when it come to working outside Excel (and my Macro skills are sub
> par :)
>
> Below is a background of the issue and with my current setup to give
> context to my problem.
>
> BACKGROUND
> The information comes from Bank Call Reports which I can download bulk
> data from the FDIC website for free. =A0Every report from every bank
> uses this template. =A0Every bank is given a unique identifier number
> and every reported dollar number is assigned a code. =A0For Example
> Total Assets is assigned the Identifier RCON2170 (RCON for short),
> for all banks. =A0There are over 7,500 banks that report quarterly and
> well over 1,000 RCON codes.
> When I download the bulk data, it downloads in a compressed folder
> which I unzip. =A0The data is in approximately 40 different text files
> broken apart by the section (Schedule) =A0in the report (ie Schedule RC
> is the Balance Sheet section)
>
> CURRENT SETUP
> Right now I import the sections I need (about 6). =A0Each sheet lists
> all 7,500 banks by ID number and average 100 RCON numbers per tab
> (750,000 cells per tab). =A0I then link up these pages to a template
> that searches the appropriate tab through and INDEX-MATCH formula
> which finds the number based on the RCON number and the banks ID. =A0The
> template is set up so numerous banks can be compared side by side just
> by entering the banks unique identifier.
>
> ISSUE
> My problem is that the files are creeping up towards 20M. Is there a
> way to have my INDEX MATCH formula (or something similar) search the
> text files and then return the right number based on the RCON number
> and banks unique ID number while limiting my file size? =A0Any help
> would be tremendously helpful. =A0Thank you for your time.

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS LAST POST. IT IS A REPEAT OF MY EARLIER ISSUE.
MY GOOGLE WAS SHOWING THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE NEVER UPLOADED SO I
REPEATED THE POST ONLY TO FIND IT TOOK. SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST.
0
cardan
5/6/2010 5:34:39 PM
You will need to write code to 'parse' the required text from the text files
into excel.
The detail of that code will depend on the exact nature of the text
structure (you will be trying to dentify patterns in the text structure that
correlate with the text you wish to extract). You could do a lot worse than
taking a look at John Walkenbach's 'Power programing with VBA' under
'manipulating text files' for useful examples. (google this and see what
comes up)

"cardan" wrote:

> PROBLEM
> I am trying to find a way to decrease the file size of a document
> where I currently import data from text documents (which I have to
> convert to Excel format through a Tab Delimited conversion).
> Currently the file is around 20M and will most likely be shared and is
> a process that will be repeated every 3 months.  I am totally ignorant
> when it come to working outside Excel (and my Macro skills are sub
> par :)
>
> Below is a background of the issue and with my current setup to give
> context to my problem.
>
> BACKGROUND
> The information comes from Bank Call Reports which I can download bulk
> data from the FDIC website for free.  Every report from every bank
> uses this template.  Every bank is given a unique identifier number
> and every reported dollar number is assigned a code.  For Example
> Total Assets is assigned the Identifier RCON2170 (RCON for short),
> for all banks.  There are over 7,500 banks that report quarterly and
> well over 1,000 RCON codes.
> When I download the bulk data, it downloads in a compressed folder
> which I unzip.  The data is in approximately 40 different text files
> broken apart by the section (Schedule)  in the report (ie Schedule RC
> is the Balance Sheet section)
>
> CURRENT SETUP
> Right now I import the sections I need (about 6).  Each sheet lists
> all 7,500 banks by ID number and average 100 RCON numbers per tab
> (750,000 cells per tab).  I then link up these pages to a template
> that searches the appropriate tab through and INDEX-MATCH formula
> which finds the number based on the RCON number and the banks ID.  The
> template is set up so numerous banks can be compared side by side just
> by entering the banks unique identifier.
>
> ISSUE
> My problem is that the files are creeping up towards 20M. Is there a
> way to have my INDEX MATCH formula (or something similar) search the
> text files and then return the right number based on the RCON number
> and banks unique ID number while limiting my file size?  Any help
> would be tremendously helpful.  Thank you for your time.
> .

Too large incoming email
My college has received a *large* email which now is jamming her Inbox. She can select it but not do anything (view, delete,...) with it. What to do? Can you edit the Inbox somewhere outside Outlook? /lena ...

VBA Text Color
I would like to change the text color to Red for a string being returned to a window through vba when certain conditions are met. I can see the vbRed control but cannot get it to work, Object Required. Has anyone been able to change the text color through vba, and how is it set? Mick Hi Mick I don't believe VBA can directly change the colours on a Dexterity field or window. You can use the unsupported but very useful method of pass through Dexterity SanScript to change the colour of the text or the background. I think you already have the company background colour VBA example. I...

Can't have a null value if another field has text.
I have tried a few different things to try and get this to work, but I can't seem to figure it out. Basically, I have a form with some text boxes linked to fields on a table, and I want one of two things to happen (the first one would be preferred, but if that's not possible, the second would be just as good): 1) If Field 1 is updated to a Null value and Field 2 has text in it, move the text from Field 2 to Field 1 and change Field 2 to a Null value. 2) If Field 1 is updated to a Null value and Field 2 has text in it, a message box pops up that essentially says "You can't do ...

Excel hart has OLE onject errors in Access 2007
I am trying to build a chart on a form in Access 2007. I have already created it in Excel and want it to look the same but it seems that the formatting options are greatly reduced, fewer chart options, and formatting variations in Access. I tried to copy and paste the chart from Excel 2007 onto my Access form, and gave it the query as the data source but got messages "The operation on the OLE object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." If I remove the name of the query I get an identical chart to the one in Excel, ...

Excel 2000 #4
I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to absolute? Do you that they are produced via formulae? -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "billytre" <billytre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C22BA5C-5B4D-44D0-8B56-8EDEBF1CE862@microsoft.com... > I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to > absolute? No Bob, Just a straight fill by dragging. "Bob Phillips" wrote: > Do you that they are produced via formulae? > > -- > HTH &...

Change link between form and subform

email text missing when sent
I compose an email within Outlook and send it. The sent email only contains the first character of the text. The recipient of the email does receive it, but with only the one character in the text. When I look at the copy of the email in my Sent folder, the text only has one character. I repeated the process several times with the same result. The above was done with my Options set to Rich Text. When I change my Options to use HTML, everything is sent fine. This problem just occurred yesterday. I've been sending emails without problem for months. I didn't change any set...

linking #4

Formulas coming up as text
Formulas continue to appear as text and will not calculate. how to get formulas to always calculate. If your formulas appear as text, then you need to first clear the cells before entering formulas. Select the cells, hit Edit-->Clear-->All. Save the file, format the column as General, and try again. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "cheryl" <dianeshar14donotspam@example.com> wrote in message news:D6AAAAFF-9E92-4947-837F-9FA96984BD4D@microsoft.com... > Formulas continue to appear as text and will not calculate. how to get > formulas to alway...

Linked Forms

Can I insert Auto Text of Last Updated in Excel 2003?
Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? Using a macro yes http://tinyurl.com/4d4of -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "jess_steven" <jess_steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC065FC2-1B52-40D0-BB3E-04DDE7872268@microsoft.com... > Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? ...

Right-Click in Excel 2002
My right mouse button is set to "select" a cell. How can I change it to bring up the menu that allows me to "delete" "insert" rows/columns? I was accustomed to this feature in my previous version of Excel. Just in Excel, or in all applications? Look at Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click Mouse, and change settings there as appropriate (like possibly you have button configuration set to "left-handed." Change to "right-handed.") MRO "gambersh" <hivre@excite.com> wrote in message news:04d301c381fa$c4b72590$a301280...

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Links not linking

Find/replace with different text colour messes up
When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell instead of just the word that was searched on. To see this in action, try this: 1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet 2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now, let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red. 3.. Open up Search/Replace 4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test 5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test 6.. For the "R...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

to use workday function in excel vba code
hi all, is there a way to use wrokday function in my worksheet controls.? i have a date time picker in my worksheet and a text box and a button. on click of this button i should get next desired date. like when i select a date from the calendar and click on button ther is onclick function in my macro. this onclick should calculate next desired date(assume if i choos 10/11/2005 and add 2 to this date i should get 12/11/2005) i know how to use workday function using a cell reference but................ i don't know how to put this into a vba code. if i use workday("10/11/2005&qu...

Word as a Text Processor in Outlook w/ Exchange
Hi! Sice I set up a new Microsoft Exchange Server account in my Outlook 2003 SP2, I can't use any more Word as a text processor to write my e-mails. I only have the HTML option. So I don't have the nice Word feature (real time spell checking, etc.). Too bad... Any idea? Is there something I missed to set up on the Exchange Server? Help appreciated. Nicolas Check from within Outlook. Tools/Options/Mail Format and make sure you have the option to use "Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit my email messages" checked. "Nicolas Macarez" <macarez@free.fr> ...

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Excel 97 tabs
Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? No This was established in Excel XP "SS" <ssriding1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00e601c36c01$31cea820$a601280a@phx.gbl... : Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background : colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? : ...

Text Wrap #2
Is there anywhere in Publisher that i can customise my preferences? I would like to change the default settings for inserting an image to no text wrap. This is a time consuming process everytime i insert an image (right click, format object, layout tab, wrapping style "none", ok), would be so much for efficient for me if i could change the default settings so that the image came in like this when inserted (currently the default wrapping style is "square"). Any ideas? ...

links

Thank you microsoft.public.excel.charting
The following is an excerpt from the acknowledgments in my forthcoming book, Just Plain Data Analysis [the companion web page is here: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/jpda/ "To prepare the tables and charts in this book, I acquired near mastery of the 2003 Microsoft Excel charting software and considerable experience with the 2007 version. Excel is much more powerful than a counter sorter, but the frustrations are the same. My masters in my quest to earn a black belt in Excel charting were the regular contributors to the microsoft.public.excel.charting newsgroup: Rob Bovey, Debra Dalgleish, Shane ...

Right clicking on text does not bring up hyperlink option
I want to add a hyperlink to another area in my Excel workbook. On one sheet when I right click on text that I want to add the hyperlink to, I don't get the hyperlink option. It has the following: cut copy paste paste special __________ insert page break reset all page breaks insert delete clear contents __________ insert comment __________ format cells set print area reset print area page setup There is no hyperlink option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. The cell menu (the one you get when you rightclick on a cell) is different if you're in View|Normal or View|Page break previ...