Kill the annoying "Auto Fill Options" button

In XL 2007 when you copy some cells down by dragging, a small button appears
which sort of hovers over the cell. It looks like a t-square and is called
"Auto-Fill Options". If you click on it, you have some choices like "copy
cells", "fill series", etc.

For me, this is one of the most annoying features in Excel; when it appears,
you can't read the contents of the cells below, especially if your text is
sized small. Even more annoying, it never goes away. Ridiculous. Anyway, can
someone PLEASE tell me how to kill this thing - I want it turned off so I can
see my data...

Thanks!

Hi,

Office button|Excel Options - Advanced tab - Cut,Copy & Paste section

Un-Check 'Show paste options button'
--
Mike

question.

"xp" wrote:

> In XL 2007 when you copy some cells down by dragging, a small button appears
> which sort of hovers over the cell. It looks like a t-square and is called
> "Auto-Fill Options". If you click on it, you have some choices like "copy
> cells", "fill series", etc.
>
> For me, this is one of the most annoying features in Excel; when it appears,
> you can't read the contents of the cells below, especially if your text is
> sized small. Even more annoying, it never goes away. Ridiculous. Anyway, can
> someone PLEASE tell me how to kill this thing - I want it turned off so I can
> see my data...
>
> Thanks!
Thanks !!!

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Office button|Excel Options - Advanced tab - Cut,Copy & Paste section
>
> Un-Check 'Show paste options button'
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "xp" wrote:
>
> > In XL 2007 when you copy some cells down by dragging, a small button appears
> > which sort of hovers over the cell. It looks like a t-square and is called
> > "Auto-Fill Options". If you click on it, you have some choices like "copy
> > cells", "fill series", etc.
> >
> > For me, this is one of the most annoying features in Excel; when it appears,
> > you can't read the contents of the cells below, especially if your text is
> > sized small. Even more annoying, it never goes away. Ridiculous. Anyway, can
> > someone PLEASE tell me how to kill this thing - I want it turned off so I can
> > see my data...
> >
> > Thanks!

How to make the Auto Fill Options pop-up go away?
When I drag the fill handle across a range of cells, I get the little Auto Fill Options pop-up. This is helpful, but it stays around too long. In Word, the Esc key makes it go away. This doesn't work in Excel. Is there some way to make it go away? It's often sitting on top of a cell I am trying to work with. I am using Excel 2007. try this select any blank cell press delete On Nov 2, 10:13=A0pm, Square Peg <Square...@Round.Hole> wrote: > When I drag the fill handle across a range of cells, I get the little > Auto Fill Options pop-up. This is helpful, but it stays aro...

Kill the annoying "Auto Fill Options" button
In XL 2007 when you copy some cells down by dragging, a small button appears which sort of hovers over the cell. It looks like a t-square and is called "Auto-Fill Options". If you click on it, you have some choices like "copy cells", "fill series", etc. For me, this is one of the most annoying features in Excel; when it appears, you can't read the contents of the cells below, especially if your text is sized small. Even more annoying, it never goes away. Ridiculous. Anyway, can someone PLEASE tell me how to kill this thing - I want it turned off...

Turning Off Auto Fill Options
How do you turn of the Auto Fill Options so when I copy a cell over that little popup stops popping up and offering "Copy Cells", "Fill Series", etc. It's more annoying than it's worth. I'm using Excel 2003 and thanking you in advance for your help. John Don't use the right mouse button to copy over or down. Use the left mouse button. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 9 Feb 2007 11:12:30 -0800, "John13" <johnasmith13@gmail.com> wrote: >How do you turn of the Auto Fill Options so when I copy a cell over >that little popup stops popp...

what is keyboard shortcuts for auto fill options
what is keyboard shortcuts for auto fill options?? control+D see this useful url http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm ================================= Rozeta <Rozeta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A81641F6-C9BA-4BAA-833F-DE71CEA93983@microsoft.com... > what is keyboard shortcuts for auto fill options?? ...

How to turn off auto fill options button?
Hi tools / options / edit untick allow cell drag & drop .... but seriously, why would you want to disable such a useful feature? Cheers JulieD "Piedvache" <Piedvache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94835D2C-8699-4D14-8B1E-EA16546F03B5@microsoft.com... > ...

Auto Fill Options
Hi Folks, Using XLXP - Does anyone know how to get rid of that annoying little auto fill options button that always seems to be in the way? Please tell me there's a way! Biff To turn off the smart tags feature: 1. Choose Tools>Options 2. Select the Edit tab 3. Remove the check marks from 'Show Paste Options buttons' and 'Show Insert Options buttons'. 4. Click OK Biff wrote: > Using XLXP - Does anyone know how to get rid of that > annoying little auto fill options button that always seems > to be in the way? Please tell me there's a way! -...

auto fill options #7
Can you set the default to Copy Cells rather than the Fill Series? And how do you do that.... thank you in advance. I don't think so but an easy next best solution is to hold Ctrl down as you drag the fill handle. -- Jim "vic" <vic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B1F7FB9-E010-4F98-847C-B6FE25E4FC3B@microsoft.com... | Can you set the default to Copy Cells rather than the Fill Series? And how do | you do that.... thank you in advance. Funny enough - I'm trolling the board to see if I can switch my fill handle to go BACK to doing a regular fil...

Auto Fill Options #6
Until today, the default of my auto fill options was copy cells; in addition, I never saw the auto fill box, ever. I've disabled the show paste and show insert options so the box doesn't appear but it defaults to fill series and adds a day to each date I drag and drop. Holding down the control key overrides the fill series default but I'd like to go back to copy cells as the default. Can it be done? I think it depends on what you have selected. If I put 1 in A1, select just A1 and drag that fill handle down, excel copies it. If I put 1 in A1 and 2 in A2, select A1:A2 a...

Auto Fill Options #5
We like the auto fill options button when changing formulas for many cells. However, we would like to change the default auto fill from COPY CELLS to FILL FORMATTING ONLY. Is there anyway to do this? Patti Brookens Strickler Agency Inc Chambersburg PA Right-mouse click the fill-handle & drag down. When you let go, you'll see many options, including Fill Formatting... Bob Umlas Excel MVP I'm leading a FREE 1-hour online Webinar on Excel Tips & Tricks. Dec 16, Jan 14, Jan 27 from 4-5PM (each session is the same). If interested, go to http://www.iil.com, click on the y...

Auto fill options #4
When You have copied a cell, it appears a so calld Auto fill options, that covers the text in the nearby cells. Is there anybody that know how to turn this irritating function off Thanks Hi Try holding down the left mouse button and not the right, when you drag acroos the cells -- Regards Roger Govier "RANo" <anonym@diskusjoner.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71DC130A-7512-4C6E-B065-636E8D4C257C@microsoft.com... > When You have copied a cell, it appears a so calld Auto fill options, that covers the text in the nearby cells. Is there anybody that know how to turn thi...

Auto Fill Options #3
When copying a data down a colum the "Auto Fill Options" box pops up at the Fill Handle. Does anyone know how to custimize excel so that box stops poping up. Thanks Greg I believe it is under tools>options>edit and uncheck show paste options button -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Greg" <greg_quinn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:462E2DFB-C3AA-40BA-8930-2500C4919853@microsoft.com... > When copying a data down a colum the "Auto Fill Options" box pops up at the Fill Handle. Does anyone know how to custimize excel so that box stops poping up. &...

auto fill options #2
I am learning to use excel in school and the book says that when I select a range of cells that there should be an auto fill options button that appears outside the selected lower right corner of the range. I cannot find it. The selected range indicator (darker black outline) doesn't have a little square on the bottom right corner? Try Tools|options|Edit Tab|and check Allow Cell Drag and Drop. Steve wrote: > > I am learning to use excel in school and the book says > that when I select a range of cells that there should be > an auto fill options button that appears outsi...

Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.
When I use excel to do registration, I enter customers address and want to click and pull down that address into cells below, but when I do the address number increases in value. I can go into auto fill options and change it, but I want it to always select copy cell and default back to it. On this spread sheet. I have some colums that default to copy cells and other colums that when I try to drag a number it increases in value because it defaults to fill series. How do i change this? When you select a single cell that contains a number, then drag the Fill Handle, the default behaviour ...

turn off auto fill options box Excel 2003
If I fill cells by dragging a formula down a column, Excel inserts a Fill Option box offering a "choice of fillings" - copy, fill with format and fill without format. Is it possible to stop this box appearing? I do not think it was part of Office 2000. Tools-->Options-->Edit tab, and uncheck Show Paste Options button. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "martock" <martock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:687A7FC8-30BA-473D-B5C2-3E9FD379BD51@microsoft.com... > If I fill cells by dragging a formula down a column, Excel inserts a ...

Auto fill options button for Dates disappears- bring it back?
Wonder if this is possible? when I use the fill handle on a date it gives me the auto fill options button. When I widen my column, the auto fill options button disappears. Is there any way to bring it back besides using the fill handle again? Just curious as I waste time refilling the dates with the fill handle to get the auto fill options button back. Thanks! Jugglertwo ...

Any way toturn off the "Auto Fill Options" pop-up after copying ce
For at least some of the ways to access this newgroup, the Subject line can only be of a moderate length. The end result of this is that a significant number of people can only see part of your question. Please repost the question in the message area. tj "utkwh" wrote: > ut To add to tj's suggestion........ I see you are using the Microsoft CDO for news groups access. This interface is not the greatest. A real news reader will give you more flexibility and a greater chance of your posting being read and answered. Windows comes with Outlook Express if you want to ...