How to open a workbook into a new Excel application

Hi,
I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by
default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a new
Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't know
how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application.
Thank you!
Alex
--
Alex St-Pierre

Alex,

Excel is an application.  Normally Excel runs with only a single instance of
itself.

You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word.  This sort of runs Excel
inside Word.

I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking the
file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
window.

So I'm not to sure what you mean by opening a workbook in a new application.

Dennis

"Alex St-Pierre" <AlexStPierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by
> default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a
> new
> Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't
> know
> how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application.
> Thank you!
> Alex
> --
> Alex St-Pierre

0
Dennis
3/18/2010 8:38:49 AM
The reason why I want to start a workbook into a new Excel.Application is
that each workbook have their own menu (command bar control in addition to
Excel menu ..File, Edit, Tools, ...) So, if I switch from one workbook to
another, I have to delete the menu and create the menu into the workbook #2.
It can be the same menu or not.

I would have to have a menu bar that is unique for each workbook. Is there a
way to do that?
Thank you!
Alex
--
Alex St-Pierre

"Dennis Tucker" wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Excel is an application.  Normally Excel runs with only a single instance of
> itself.
>
> You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word.  This sort of runs Excel
> inside Word.
>
> I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
> machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking the
> file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
> window.
>
> So I'm not to sure what you mean by opening a workbook in a new application.
>
> Dennis
>
> "Alex St-Pierre" <AlexStPierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by
> > default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a
> > new
> > Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't
> > know
> > how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application.
> > Thank you!
> > Alex
> > --
> > Alex St-Pierre
>
> .

As I said before...

I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking the
file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
window.

See attached image.  I was able to run multiple instances of Excel 2007.

However, if you setup a default Toolbar/CommandBar it will startup with each
instance.

You could use the Workbook_Open macro to prompt you for a selection of which
Toolbar/CommandBar to use.

Dennis

"Dennis Tucker" <dennis13030@cox.net> wrote in message
> Alex,
>
> Excel is an application.  Normally Excel runs with only a single instance
> of itself.
>
> You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word.  This sort of runs
> Excel inside Word.
>
> I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
> machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking
> the file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
> window.
>
> So I'm not to sure what you mean by opening a workbook in a new
> application.
>
> Dennis
>
> "Alex St-Pierre" <AlexStPierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by
>> default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a
>> new
>> Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't
>> know
>> how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application.
>> Thank you!
>> Alex
>> --
>> Alex St-Pierre

0
Dennis
3/18/2010 3:28:37 PM
Hi Dennis,
I can't see the image. Which program are you using for the newsgroup? I use
the website "http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/ ..." but I
would like to use a better program.
Thank you!
Alex
--
Alex St-Pierre

"Dennis Tucker" wrote:

> As I said before...
>
> I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
> machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking the
> file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
> window.
>
> See attached image.  I was able to run multiple instances of Excel 2007.
>
> However, if you setup a default Toolbar/CommandBar it will startup with each
> instance.
>
> You could use the Workbook_Open macro to prompt you for a selection of which
> Toolbar/CommandBar to use.
>
> Dennis
>
> "Dennis Tucker" <dennis13030@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Alex,
> >
> > Excel is an application.  Normally Excel runs with only a single instance
> > of itself.
> >
> > You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word.  This sort of runs
> > Excel inside Word.
> >
> > I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
> > machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking
> > the file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
> > window.
> >
> > So I'm not to sure what you mean by opening a workbook in a new
> > application.
> >
> > Dennis
> >
> > "Alex St-Pierre" <AlexStPierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by
> >> default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a
> >> new
> >> Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't
> >> know
> >> how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application.
> >> Thank you!
> >> Alex
> >> --
> >> Alex St-Pierre
> >
> .

It looks like the image is being blocked.

Basically you open a windows "command" window then start Excel from the
command window.

> Hi Dennis,
> I can't see the image. Which program are you using for the newsgroup? I
> use
> the website "http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/ ..." but I
> would like to use a better program.
> Thank you!
> Alex
> --
> Alex St-Pierre
>

> "Dennis Tucker" wrote:
>
>> As I said before...
>>
>> I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
>> machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double clicking
>> the
>> file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a command
>> window.
>>
>> See attached image.  I was able to run multiple instances of Excel 2007.
>>
>> However, if you setup a default Toolbar/CommandBar it will startup with
>> each
>> instance.
>>
>> You could use the Workbook_Open macro to prompt you for a selection of
>> which
>> Toolbar/CommandBar to use.
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> "Dennis Tucker" <dennis13030@cox.net> wrote in message
>> > Alex,
>> >
>> > Excel is an application.  Normally Excel runs with only a single
>> > instance
>> > of itself.
>> >
>> > You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word.  This sort of runs
>> > Excel inside Word.
>> >
>> > I have seen multiple instances of Excel running at the same time on one
>> > machine.  Here the normal instance was started by either double
>> > clicking
>> > the file or the Excel icon.  The next instance was started from a
>> > command
>> > window.
>> >
>> > So I'm not to sure what you mean by opening a workbook in a new
>> > application.
>> >
>> > Dennis
>> >
>> > "Alex St-Pierre" <AlexStPierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message
>> >
>> .

0
Dennis

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

New Certificate problems
Our scenario We have been running with SBS 2003 for several years and our Certificate is pop3.olddomainname.co.uk (where our old domain name is now changing) For one reason or another, we've never got it qualified to DNS,, and with only 2 of us accessing OWA, we just use https://<external_IP>/exchange and our PDA's could get email OK on the move. Now, we have built a linux box to run the support part of our website, we have a new external domain, so we got support.newdomainname.co.uk added to DNS We need the PDA/iPhone to use SSL so that they and OWA use the 443 po...

Excel 2000 question.
Hello, Group: I am looking to run a macro that pauses for input. For example to bend metal, I would like to have the macro ask for number of bends, then continue in the computation. Thanks, --tj Dim numBends As Long On Error Resume Next numBends = InputBox("Number of bends") On Error GoTo 0 If numBends > 0 Then 'rest of code End If -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <techjohnny@gmail.com> wrote in message news:66a3c982-1496-4d73-8284-0a630e498706@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, Group: > > I am looking ...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

Perpetually new messages
Hello, One of the people I work with has a weird problem. Every time she checks her messages, the ones currently in her inbox show up as new. They appear to be downloaded a second time, and then the duplicates disappear, leaving the new items only. I think that the mailbox may be corrupted because there the mailbox has some extra numbers appended to it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Jeff ...

Problem trying to open old money file

Adding a new Interface in MS CRM
Hi, I don't want to use the "Add Lead" form to create a lead. I have developed my own page for this using the MS CRM APIs. But I have to change the linked page of "Leads" link in the left menu ( Sales) and point to my custom page. How can I do this? Thanks, -Jaison Well this is a little different as you will have to recreate the outer shell of CRM. We did this using the ASP.NET controls from Infragistics for one of our clients. Sean "Jaison" <jaison@netgalactic.com> wrote in message news:OCDt3caaEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > >...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

How can I determine whether a given application is running or not ???
Hi, How can I determine whether a given application is running or not... [FindowWindow doesn't help because the caption of the windows changes most of the time]. -- Regards, Amar Kumar. >How can I determine whether a given application is running or not... stolen from newgroups : "You can also do it using Semaphores or Mutex under MFC. In your winapp header declare a object of type CMutex CMutex m_mutexOneInstance; define winapp constructor as CYourApp :: CYourApp() : m_mutexOneInstance(FALSE,"ApplicationName") { } ... CYourApp :: InitInstance (... ) { if...

Excel 2000 => upgraded to 2003 and Bar Chart Pattern disappeared
I have a bar chart composed of two bars each with a stacked series of bars. For one of my bars one of the stacked points was a pattern fill (slashes). Since my upgrade to Office 2003 the pattern fill for this one stacked bar has disappeared. I've upgraded to Office SP2 and still cannot set my fill pattern. I have had to set the fill to color white until I can get this pattern back. I have noticed that the Sample preview pane is not set when I select the pattern fill, gradient fill, etc. Is this a known problem? And is there a work around? Thanks, Donna L Bruce ...

EXCEL Files open Slow