Help with Workbook name change on update

Can anyone help me with this. I am not exactly sure what Dave Peterson means.

Q: Is the activeworkbook the same as the workbook that was opened?
A: Yes, but when the Workbook is opened it has one file name, but as soon as
you update it and save it the name changes. Then when you try and re-update
it the new name is not found, so I get the run Time Error.

Not exactly sure what you mean:

If yes, then declare the bk variable in a General module and make it public.

Public bk as workbook

(Remove the dim statement in the open procedure.)

Then use the bk variable to saveas

bk.saveas

And use bk as object to represent that workbook--no matter what the name is.

What's happening is when I save the workbook to a different name, because it
auto assigns the file name to according to the information on the User form.

The Workbook changes from the name "Master Engineering Spec.xlsm" to the
following.
strFile = "SPEC " & CLLI_Code_1.Value _
         & Space(1) & TEO_No_1.Value _
         & Space(1) & CES_No_1.Value _
         & Space(1) & TEO_Appx_No_2.Value

I need help in changing the code so that it will recognize the new file
name. I posted all the code in my prior post on 1/7/2010 "Run Time Error on
File Name".

If you need me to repost the code let me know.

If you have not already tried this modified version, then try it and see if
you still get the Subscript out of Range message.

Private Sub Save_Engineering_Spec_11_Click()

    Dim strFile As String
    Dim fileSaveName As Variant
    Dim myMsg As String

    strFile = "SPEC " & CLLI_Code_1.Value _
        & Space(1) & TEO_No_1.Value _
        & Space(1) & CES_No_1.Value _
        & Space(1) & TEO_Appx_No_2.Value

    fileSaveName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename _
        (InitialFileName:=strFile, _
        fileFilter:="Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook(*.xlsm),(*.xlsm")

    If fileSaveName <> False Then
        ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
        fileSaveName, _
        FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled, _
        CreateBackup:=False
        Workbooks.Open ("Master Engineering Spec.xlsm")

    Else
        MsgBox prompt:=Engineer_2.Value & vbLf & "You canceled saving the
Engineering Spec." & vbCrLf & _
            "Engineering Spec was not Saved.", _
            Title:="C.E.S."
    End If
End Sub

I added a line of code to re-open the Master Engineering Spec file.  That is
the one that is causing the error when you try to correct an input error,
because it goes away as soon as you execute the SaveAs.  Try doing the
corrective update process using this version and see if it still errors out.
If it does you might have to unload the UserForm and and re-load it.

With regards to Dave's suggestion about the Public variable, I do not
believe he was aware that you are saving the form data in the Master
Engineering Spec file.  He was attempting to allow you to use the same
variable for different workbooks as you open them.  That would probably
prevent the error message, but not cure the logic problem.  You would open a
workbook but not necessarily have access to your previous form data.

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me with this. I am not exactly sure what Dave Peterson
> means.
>
> Q: Is the activeworkbook the same as the workbook that was opened?
> A: Yes, but when the Workbook is opened it has one file name, but as soon
> as
> you update it and save it the name changes. Then when you try and
> re-update
> it the new name is not found, so I get the run Time Error.
>
> Not exactly sure what you mean:
>
> If yes, then declare the bk variable in a General module and make it
> public.
>
> Public bk as workbook
>
> (Remove the dim statement in the open procedure.)
>
> Then use the bk variable to saveas
>
> bk.saveas
>
> And use bk as object to represent that workbook--no matter what the name
> is.
>
> What's happening is when I save the workbook to a different name, because
> it
> auto assigns the file name to according to the information on the User
> form.
>
> The Workbook changes from the name "Master Engineering Spec.xlsm" to the
> following.
> strFile = "SPEC " & CLLI_Code_1.Value _
>         & Space(1) & TEO_No_1.Value _
>         & Space(1) & CES_No_1.Value _
>         & Space(1) & TEO_Appx_No_2.Value
>
> I need help in changing the code so that it will recognize the new file
> name. I posted all the code in my prior post on 1/7/2010 "Run Time Error
> on
> File Name".
>
> If you need me to repost the code let me know.

0
JLGWhiz

sumifs help

Help !

how can I get a cell to change color by date to indicate expiery t
I'm trying to get the cell color to change from green to yellow to red as a date entered in the cell gets closer to that date plus 12 months or 36 months. ie some task was completed on 1 Jan 08 and will last for 24 months so I want the cell to read green if the date is still good turn yellow a month or 2 before it expires and turn red and clear the date if expired. So if the cell is empty it should show red. But I want to be able to update the date the task was completed ie it was completed again on the 15 Dec 10 before it expired so I want the countdown to expiration to restart f...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Need function to insert worksheet name into a cell of that worksheet.
I have found a formula on the web help site to automatically insert a worksheet name into a cell of the worksheet. I have several worksheets and wish to identify each worksheet automatically in a cell of each worksheet. When I use the formula it initially brings in the correct worksheet name. However when I select another worksheet the prior name appears in the selected cell. Perhaps I need to change something in my formula or this is a problem that I can't correct. What is your suggestion? The following formula is what I am using in each worksheet. =MID(CELL("fil...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

deleting workbook
File>Open. Select the workbook and right-click>delete Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:56:01 -0700, saqib <saqib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Is there a way to change the return value for and ON_CONTROL() handler to return 0
I have a message map that is using the ON_CONTROL() handler. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a ON_CONTROL_EX() or something like that that allows me to control the return value. I am handling a notification and I am doing some processing, but I need to be able to return a 0 from my handler. Without getting into using a switch statement and a ON_COMMAND() handler, is there a way to do this? Is there some function I can call within my message handler that would set the return value? -- Thanks, Bruce Who is going to see the return code? AliR. "Bruce" <...

Macro Help

help me #2

How do give each datapoint a separate name/label in a scatter char
I am attempting to graph job growth and absolute employment (x and y axis respectively) for 64 cities. How do I put the city name next to that data point. For example, Atlanta has averaged 1.6% job growth and 37,000 new jobs per year. 1.6% is the x axis value, 37,000 is the Y axis value, but I would like to label the data point "Atlanta". This allows me to compare Atlanta's growth with the other 63 cities. Please let me know if this is possible. Check out Rob Bovey's XY Chartlabeler (www.appspro.com) or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools (www.j-walk.com). -- Reg...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Named Range
I'm creating a template in which a user can copy & paste their records and format it a certain way w/a macro button. One portion of the macro should create a named range for all records that appear in column J, starting at J4. However, as you can see from my code the marco is always going to name whatever is in between J4:J748 (this is how many records are in the document I am working with). I can't figure out how to fix it - any suggestions appreciated. Range("J4").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select ActiveWorkbook.Names.Ad...

Your Help is Appreciated

Update from Recon button in Cashbook Bank Management
The Update from Recon button should have a prompt linked to it to allow a user to cancel the process if the button is hit in error. Currently if a user hits the button the update occurs and this can lead to errors in the application. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the ...

bcc help

Cached Outlook 2003 hangs "waiting to update"
Running Echange server 2003. Laptop client Win XP PRO and Office 2003 (Outlook 2003)using "cached exchange". Network connection 100MB/s hardwired, fixed IP. Upon startup the message "waiting to update folder" for inbox stays up several minutes. When updating finally starts, a few Kb may take more than an hour to update. Have check the various KB articles and found no solution. Curious: If I run detect and repair (even without closing Outlook) the update recovers and continues at full network speed once the D&R process completes. If I am lucky, it will sti...